It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: When will Mac Talk?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 am 

Is he still in some kind of NDA mandated time period or does he just not give a care?

I think its disappointing that he will go out in a whimper like this. I suppose North was kind of the same, when he refused an insulting 800K contract only to find no one else was anywhere near that amount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Mac is a Chicago media legend and a great guy.

Not interested in hearing gossip or his contemporary sports thoughts however.

A random 20 minute radio hit with the score might be cool but beyond that I’m good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:58 pm 

Dan mcniel gave a shoutout to "ikesouth" like 17 years ago on the score. It still weirds me out because at the time i had no idea he cared so much. What a great man.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:00 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Is he still in some kind of NDA mandated time period or does he just not give a care?

I think its disappointing that he will go out in a whimper like this. I suppose North was kind of the same, when he refused an insulting 800K contract only to find no one else was anywhere near that amount.

The north thing was really bad. He called in drunk to the station, while driving. Thats why they lowballed his contract. And thats why he refused their offer, because he didnt do anything wrong. But yes, he also didnt realize it was chicago that liked him, not any other market.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The north thing was really bad. He called in drunk to the station, while driving. Thats why they lowballed his contract. And thats why he refused their offer, because he didnt do anything wrong. But yes, he also didnt realize it was chicago that liked him, not any other market.
The drunken call had literally nothing to do with the low ball offer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

800K/year was a lowball offer?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:

I don't know if he cared in his last 2 stints on the radio. If I really thought about it, 2007 or so was the last time he seemed interested in his job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

he thought so

I think it cut his salary in half but he didn't understand the market was correcting itself for on air talent compensation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:26 am 

Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't know if he cared in his last 2 stints on the radio. If I really thought about it, 2007 or so was the last time he seemed interested in his job.

He was still more compelling than anything on presently.

There isn't a single "must listen" show on the Score

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Be that as it may, I didn't listen. It was bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He was making around $1.7M at the time. But like Dahl, he was paying his show employees out of that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:34 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He was making around $1.7M at the time. But like Dahl, he was paying his show employees out of that.

I wonder what he was paying Jen Patterson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
good dolphin wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Pretty sad state of radio when the most compelling thing on the station was a guy who was bored with his job...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:05 am 

Quote:
1 on 1 with Sam Michel: Dan McNeil
Dan joined Sam to talk about his life growing up in Highland, getting a break in broadcasting that led to jobs at 670 The Score and ESPN Chicago, and the regrets he has from his last job in radio.
Watch this episode for free and go to JEDtv.com to subscribe for all the content produced by WJOB/JEDtv. 1 on 1 with Sam Michel premieres every Friday at 2:00 PM.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:19 pm 

What's the etimology of frunchroom?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Spaulding wrote:

That's an interesting question and a plate o' shrimp for me as my wife and I were just discussing it.

She was reading a book about this guy Chuck Renslow who invented International Mr. Leather and it said that another name for a parlor is a "French room". I don't think that's it though.

When I was growing up we called the main living room the "front room" as it was in the front of the house. It easily becomes "frunchroom" when you have a Chicago accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJ5cCP0ZPE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I wonder what he was paying Jen Patterson

Jen was long gone by the time Mike started morning drive.

She was a poorly paid Score producer on Belmont who had her income supplemented by North

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The frunchroom is da place where you enjoy your pop dat you just got at da Jewel's.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

When I was growing up we called the main living room the "front room" as it was in the front of the house. It easily becomes "frunchroom" when you have a Chicago accent.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. Even though I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life I had never heard the term until my 1st job out of school - a manufacturing plant in Franklin Park. One of the guys from the shop used to come into our office when he wanted to hide from his boss and he'd always say frunch room. After a couple of times I finally asked him what a frunch room was and he looked at me like I was an alien and slowly said front room.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:40 pm 

Listened to the podcast Mac did on WJOB.

A few interesting tidbits.

Mac was almost the 3rd voice on Mully & Hanley before he did mid days with meatpants.

He wanted to do a weekly podcast with Jurko and Harry, but Jurko's bosses at ESPN wouldnt let him

He is working on a radio autobiography.

He made a good point on his firing from the SCORE. He was brought up in a radio culture where they were encouraged to hit below the belt and that is clearly not allowed anymore.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:

He made a good point on his firing from the SCORE. He was brought up in a radio culture where they were encouraged to hit below the belt and that is clearly not allowed anymore.

That’s clearly bullshit. It just depends on who you choose to hit below the belt . Black female sideline reporter ? Off limits
Unvaxxed white athlete ?
Have at it .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:48 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
RFDC wrote:

That’s clearly bullshit. It just depends on who you choose to hit below the belt . Black female sideline reporter ? Off limits
Unvaxxed white athlete ?
Have at it .

Yeah no doubt.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Jen was long gone by the time Mike started morning drive.

She was a poorly paid Score producer on Belmont who had her income supplemented by North

Jen was a producer on the morning show and then read the news after Anne Maxfield left for good in 2007-08.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is correct. Even though I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life I had never heard the term until my 1st job out of school - a manufacturing plant in Franklin Park. One of the guys from the shop used to come into our office when he wanted to hide from his boss and he'd always say frunch room. After a couple of times I finally asked him what a frunch room was and he looked at me like I was an alien and slowly said front room.

Joe Orr is correct but I'll provide a bit more insight: I think it is particularly tied to the Chicago bungalow style of home where the layout of the public areas of the house is a line of rooms connected without hallways, like the shotgun style in New Orleans. The entry door is directly connected to the front room then dining room then kitchen and out the back door to maybe an enclosed porch. The front room is the living room which is a big, open semi circle and is the one space for leisure, unless you are a fancy family with one of them finished basements.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:20 pm 

Mac golfing with Parkins & Spiegs:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Spiegel really likes purple.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
BigJ52 wrote:
Mac golfing with Parkins & Spiegs:

That's a heck of a foursome right there...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Tad Queasy wrote:
Spiegel really likes purple.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:57 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Cantigny is a great course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Did Spiegs actually play? Who does he think he is with that button up golf shirt, Phil Mickelson?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next