It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shep Out
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
HawaiiYou wrote:
What kind of POS fires someone 2 weeks before xmas?

I once got launched from a job on 12/21.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:02 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
What kind of POS fires someone 2 weeks before xmas?

We do, over here Hawaii.

2001: Tim Floyd resigns on Christmas Eve

2003: Bill Cartwright fired days after Thanksgiving

2007: Scott Skiles fired on Christmas Eve

2018: Fred Hoiberg fired in December

HO HO HO MFKERS!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

That sucks. Shep wasn't the smartest guy in the room. But he wasn't a complete dumb ass either. I mean when it came to sports. I probably wouldn't want to talk to him about anything else other then sports. Shep really, really loves sports. Kind of reminds me of me when I was 12. Then I discovered girls and didn't care about sports as much. Shep never lost that.

His voice annoyed me. But he seemed like a decent guy. Feel bad for him and the millions of people who've lost their job cuz of this Covid shit.

1. It now makes sense why this Shane guy started producing for Parkins. He was added. So they had 3 guys instead of the typical 2 guys. They knew they were gonna fire Shep. Shane does a lot of shit, so he's cheaper and does more. So he now gets Shep job along with his other duties. Parkins said he's actually part of management.

2. They fired Rick Camp and brought him back. I don't get why the did that. Why not just keep Camp fired and stick with Shep. These corporate decisions make no sense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Too bad for Shep, but how much "executive producing" was he doing at home? I've checked out the twitch feed a few times lately and he just kind of sits there watching the show. It seems Shane had taken over his role. If nothing else based on his willingness to go into the studio.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Franky T wrote:
Too bad for Shep, but how much "executive producing" was he doing at home? I've checked out the twitch feed a few times lately and he just kind of sits there watching the show. It seems Shane had taken over his role. If nothing else based on his willingness to go into the studio.

That's probably it. All of these producers won't admit it. But it's gotta be great to just sit at home all day and get paid. Listen to the show for 4 hours. Pretty much do nothing like you said. Maybe book a guest or two. But for the most part the SCORE has paid guests for the shows. So it's not even about booking.

But Shep has a wife and a kid. I don't think Shane has either. So that's probably why Shane is willing to go into the studio. Plus, like I said, he does other shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I like Shep but there's nothing more annoying than the way the journalism/media industry gets the vapors when one of theirs is fired. Very self absorbed people. Maybe Shep can learn to code?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. One cocky thing that Shep said in his tweet kind of amused me.

He said "I'm a free agent now". Implying that he's now accepting offers. Like he's in demand now. He's treating this like a player in sports with those words. Cuz Shep looks at life that way.

Shep, c'mon my fellow pollack, nobody is gonna make you offers. :lol:

You're not a free agent. You're unemployed. Your ass has to start looking for jobs. Nobody in sports media is gonna come begging for a Nick Shepkowski. No executives are rushing to the phone to call you.

I got news for you, Shep. Radio isn't gonna be your thing. Just letting you know. You gotta find something else.

Some other advice. Please, don't be one of the millions of people that do a podcast that doesn't make any money. It's a waste of time. And your wife and kid need you not to waste time.

Last edited by Beardown on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
blackhawksfan wrote:
I like Shep but there's nothing more annoying than the way the journalism/media industry gets the vapors when one of theirs is fired. Very self absorbed people. Maybe Shep can learn to code?

Especially when they quite often call for an athlete or head coaches head.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
i always thought those guys in radio who are producers or some real low paying job come from wealthy families like bernstein. am i wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

HawaiiYou wrote:
i always thought those guys in radio who are producers or some real low paying job come from wealthy families like bernstein. am i wrong?

I think you're wrong. Just listening to them through the years, you can tell they don't come from money or a great education. That's why radio stations hire them. They're cheap, eager and think they are all gonna be radio hosts. Big time stars.

If they come from wealthy families, why wouldn't they get better paying jobs with their parents influence? Think about it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Beardown wrote:
Yeah. One cocky thing that Shep said in his tweet kind of amused me.

He said "I'm a free agent now". Implying that he's now accepting offers. Like he's in demand now. He's treating this like a player in sports with those words. Cuz Shep looks at life that way.

Shep, c'mon my fellow pollack, nobody is gonna make you offers. :lol:

You're not a free agent. You're unemployed. Your ass has to start looking for jobs. Nobody in sports media is gonna come begging for a Nick Shepkowski. No executives are rushing to the phone to call you.

I got news for you, Shep. Radio isn't gonna be your thing. Just letting you know. You gotta find something else.

Some other advice. Please, don't be one of the millions of people that do a podcast that doesn't make any money. It's a waste of time. And your wife and kid need you not to waste time.

Pretty sure the free agent quip was tongue in cheek. He most certainly understands the gravity of his situation. And his complete lack of leverage or options.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:23 am 

Beardown wrote:
Franky T wrote:

That's probably it. All of these producers won't admit it. But it's gotta be great to just sit at home all day and get paid. Listen to the show for 4 hours. Pretty much do nothing like you said. Maybe book a guest or two. But for the most part the SCORE has paid guests for the shows. So it's not even about booking.

But Shep has a wife and a kid. I don't think Shane has either. So that's probably why Shane is willing to go into the studio. Plus, like I said, he does other shit.

Shane has several kids, I believe. 3 or 4 from what I understand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
HawaiiYou wrote:

You're thinking of interns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
HawaiiYou wrote:

Wealthy or connected families because you have to be able to survive making almost nothing for several years while you toil in minor leagues learning the craft.

When the station launched most of the hosts were guys from blue collar backgrounds, seemed to make them much more relatable.

Parkins and Bernstein are the two most obvious examples of how this works. Hosts tend to do shows that their friends/families would like, the problem with WSCR is that that type of show targets a miniscule portion of the population, most see sports and sport talk radio as the sandbox of life, not an avenue to address the hosts perceived ills of society.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Ironic because Shep, Zpak, and Mac all could give the Score now rare listenable shows. Zpak filled in for Les and it wasn't bad. Shep highlights:
Shep destroyingg Les on a trivia challenge. Herron attacking Shep for calling him "pac 10 boy".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:28 pm 

Yup, my friends that still listen are white dudes in their 50's, none of them are SJW's, the sales guy I know listens so he can be more relatable to his clients by talking sports.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:05 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Yup, my friends that still listen are white dudes in their 50's, none of them are SJW's, the sales guy I know listens so he can be more relatable to his clients by talking sports.

What a loser he must be

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:01 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

What a loser he must be

He's a multimillionaire, owns his own sales company.

Aren't you the Boylan guy? A former Titan?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:18 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

What a loser he must be

He's a multimillionaire, owns his own sales company.

Aren't you the Boylan guy? A former Titan?

He's a Hoiberg guy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
badrogue17 wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
I don't think that the hosts or being too woke are at the core of the issues. Both hurt the ratings, but there are fatal flaws much worse than those there.

Direct result of shutting down the country so 80 year olds wont die.

my friend who was 28 died. Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
...whoops, wrong thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Shane has several kids, I believe. 3 or 4 from what I understand

Really? I've heard Parko say Shane is 27. That's a lot of kids at that age. Well, in my opinion at least. Then I've heard Shane say he has a girlfriend and roommates. So I assume he's not with the mother of his kids. But I could be wrong.

Shit, now I know why he does multiple jobs at the SCORE.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:51 am 

A great producer is worth his weight in gold.

I don't see much value being added by the overwhelming majority of producers at the Score. Where are the funny, produced bits? Where are the landmark segments? Where are the hard to get guests and interesting guests beyond the sports world?

The best producer at the Score is Tannehill. His work is exceptional among this current group. It would have been standard at the old Score.

A producer should be both highly regimented and creative.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Drinky and Goff ruined the notion of producing the Score. Everyone came to think being a producer meant "host but not really."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
good dolphin wrote:
A great producer is worth his weight in gold.

I don't see much value being added by the overwhelming majority of producers at the Score. Where are the funny, produced bits? Where are the landmark segments? Where are the hard to get guests and interesting guests beyond the sports world?

The best producer at the Score is Tannehill. His work is exceptional among this current group. It would have been standard at the old Score.

A producer should be both highly regimented and creative.

Mac was a damn good producer in the days before the Internet. Could line up very good guests, ran a boyquarium which didn't let bullshit callers get through, and could guest host for 3 hours on a Friday night if Chet wanted to take a long weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Drinky and Goff ruined the notion of producing the Score. Everyone came to think being a producer meant "host but not really."

The true culprit was Dan and Terry with their Krusty the Klown work ethic of creating radio.

It rubbed off on the entire place and is now the culture of the station.

You never hear anyone but Les being in offices an hour or two before their show

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

Something doesn't sit right about this. Some might call it a conspiracy.

Shane hopped on the show as a producers 3 or 4 weeks ago. While Shep and Tani were obviously still there.

I think Shane knew all along that Shep was gonna get fired with him as the replacement. To do double duties.

Not ripping Shane. He was asked to do this. He's trying to survive. But I wonder is Shep is kind of pissed at him for not letting him know what was about to go down.

Not that it would have mattered. The SCORE was gonna do what it was gonna do. Still, Shane knowing it all along has to piss off Shep a little bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Didn't that happen to Finfer at The Game? I don't think the co-host who knew is still in radio. For that matter, is Finfer doing anything at all?

I suspect all the EPs knew they were close to getting whacked. Shep's wife had some kind of better job than he did, so hopefully she's doing well enough.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:05 pm 

Shane talks way too much. He likes to think of himself as a Seton O'Connor type. He thinks Parkins is going to let him be like a Danette.

Last edited by Franky T on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:06 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Didn't that happen to Finfer at The Game? I don't think the co-host who knew is still in radio. For that matter, is Finfer doing anything at all?

I suspect all the EPs knew they were close to getting whacked. Shep's wife had some kind of better job than he did, so hopefully she's doing well enough.

isn't she in sales at the Score?