It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:23 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Did Parkins address his absence last week? He promised full transparency.

I've listened on an off today, have not head anything on that. I did read the Jon Greenberg, you gotta pay for it Athletic article, and there was reference, way at the end of the article about that podcast that Parkins wanted to join, and how the powers that be pulled the plug on that. I could be way off, but I'm guessing some of the delay with the show announcement and such had to do with that issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Chicago sports radio reminds me of my business in the financial world of dealing with companies in which the RVP is recycled to another company, repeat. Kind of same in coaching.

An extremely meh hire....Spiegs is good in doses. That said, again not saying much, but best show on the Score.

I have turned all Barstool and podcast the last year. The score is just kinda bland.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Great news! The show is easily at the top of the Chicago sports talk radio rankings- not that there’s many good ones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
We're undoing the last four years in more ways than one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
VI wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Did Parkins address his absence last week? He promised full transparency.

I've listened on an off today, have not head anything on that. I did read the Jon Greenberg, you gotta pay for it Athletic article, and there was reference, way at the end of the article about that podcast that Parkins wanted to join, and how the powers that be pulled the plug on that. I could be way off, but I'm guessing some of the delay with the show announcement and such had to do with that issue.

Yeah he addressed it when I jumped in the car. That's what it was. Working with Cowherd.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Wow. This is literally the most boring news that took way too long to receive that I've ever gotten by a very wide margin.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Last edited by Darkside on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
What is the sports betting show they were playing that he was on? The woman sounded like the fabulous sports babe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I think they're a really good pairing.

That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:50 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Spiegel makes everyone he works with better. Granted, Patrick Mannelly was still bad, but he could have been even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Wow. This is literally the most boring news that took way too long to receive that I've ever gotten by a very wide margin.

Yep. I knew this was gonna happen months ago.

I'm hoping Spiegel makes an insensitive comment about women, they fire him, then Mac gets another tryout for 3 months before they hire him.

That won't happen. All the SCORE boys have been trained to pretend that they care about women and black people. Which they don't. But they know they have to play that role on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:00 pm 

Oy vey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
Oy vey

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
DAC wrote:
Great news! The show is easily at the top of the Chicago sports talk radio rankings- not that there’s many good ones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:17 pm 

Based on the FT hiring of Lela and Porky, I'm guessing Mitch is still taking heat for the Mac thing, and Bernstein's past. What better way to calm the masses, than 2 add 2 bitches to the FT schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
K Effective wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
The world has passed Mac by. His cultural references are both limited and dated, his approach to talking sports is antiquated, and his lack of investment in his job is/was obvious. He hasn't been on top of his game in roughly a decade.

This, as with many TM posts, is likely true. The world has also passed me by, and I long for the days of Mac being on top as well as me not being on the slippery slope of decline into Bolivion. Neither will recover the old glory.

But, as Clawmaster says, there is a market for guys like me, more than to sell me dick pills and erotic pajamas. A station that can supply pertinent team information and not belittle me for disagreeing with the host's social agenda would satisfy quite large percentage of the population, but I doubt it would be financially viable.

I no longer belong to the most important spending target group.

Off to yell at a cloud.

Don't get me wrong, the product you describe appeals to me. I just don't think Mac has delivered it effectively for a long time. Part of the problem has certainly been his lackluster sidekicks. But Mac himself has also been pretty disengaged for a long time.

I think you're right and wrong. It's true that the world has passed Mac by. It's passed me by too. But the typical listener is still in the same place Mac and I are.

His life experiences in the last 20 years are a lot different to the previous 20 years and I think his previous 20 years is what shaped his entire personality which drove his original shows

Its hard for anyone to stay relevant as long as he's been around

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:35 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hypothetically, you had to pick only one show to listen to in their prime after a big game, big trade or signing, Chicago sports figure passing, etc. You could pick from North, Murph, B & B, Mac, Silvy and Waddle, Kap & Waddle, Parkins & Speigel. Would you pick P & S?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
vitoscotti wrote:
Hypothetically, you had to pick only one show to listen to in their prime after a big game, big trade or signing, Chicago sports figure passing, etc. You could pick from North, Murph, B & B, Mac, Silvy and Waddle, Kap & Waddle, Parkins & Speigel. Would you pick P & S?

SMH... the Bull and The Bear or Hamp and Holmes not even mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Curious Hair wrote:
The Hurricanes fanbase is just redditors who grew up in gated communities. Fuck 'em. There's no fanbase in sports more impressed with itself, which, considering hockey and soccer, is saying something.

If you travel to Canada or even Minnesota in winter you see people out playing pickup hockey, its similar to basketball here, a sport that is deeply engrained in the culture, people actually play the sport outside of organized leagues and know the sport inside and out. The same is true of soccer in many poorer countries. Somehow hockey and soccer are sports of the reach and entitled here in the US. You price out 99% of the potential star players.

Remember reading Hank Aaron's autobiography and his description of using bottle caps and broom sticks with his brother to play baseball always stuck with me because it showed how he was able to access baseball with very limited funds and develop essential hitting skills because they simply loved the game.

This type of passion and developmental dedication cannot be replicated in any suburban structured baseball academy, well maybe in the Tom Emanski Instructional Video series, but that is completely different level all together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:48 am 

It's amazing to me that someone who has been hanging around that place for 27 years is considered a big time. If he was really good, he would have made it far earlier. If he was really that good, other stations would have been calling and offering bigger time slots and money. You hang around for 27 years because you don't have any other options.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:48 am 

So Spiegel gets his 6th chance at a show. Maybe this one will work for more than a year or two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Brick wrote:
So Spiegel gets his 6th chance at a show. Maybe this one will work for more than a year or two.

Are you talking about his marriages or jobs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:08 am 

didea wrote:
It's amazing to me that someone who has been hanging around that place for 27 years is considered a big time. If he was really good, he would have made it far earlier. If he was really that good, other stations would have been calling and offering bigger time slots and money. You hang around for 27 years because you don't have any other options.

Has Speigal really been in radio that long.

How old is he?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:
Spiegel makes everyone he works with better. Granted, Patrick Mannelly was still bad, but he could have been even worse.

Actually, I think the opposite may be true. He seems to make just about everybody he pairs with sound worse--except for Parkins.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
GoldenJet wrote:

If Benetti likes them, they probably suck.

It's in his best interest to encourage broadcasters who are as bad as or worse than he is. Keeping them around makes him seem slightly more competent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:39 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Actually, I think the opposite may be true. He seems to make just about everybody he pairs with sound worse--except for Parkins.

Spiegel is socially awkward. He the kid wearing a Winger tee-shirt at a Metallica concert.

I would have been content with any of the guest hosts they brought in to pair with Parkins. What was the point of the "try outs" if you just use the same old tired act in the end?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
“Matt Spiegel is one of the most versatile, smart, insightful, opinionated, entertaining hosts in the country,”
-Score PD Mitch Rosen

Translation- He'll rubber-stamp agree with anything pc, sjw, and won't have a mind of his own. He's dirt cheap. Used him coming aboard, as a negotiating tool to low-ball Parkin's extension.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: What??
He's professional, has thoughts, is personable, and communicates well. I don't know what else you could want.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juiced wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Spiegel is socially awkward. He the kid wearing a Winger tee-shirt at a Metallica concert.

I would have been content with any of the guest hosts they brought in to pair with Parkins. What was the point of the "try outs" if you just use the same old tired act in the end?

Its funny how this retread hire is being lauded or at least accepted with general good tidings when Mac's was treated...somewhat differently .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
A Winger shirt, lol. If you gave me 1,000 guess of 80’s bands, I would not have come up with that one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next