PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
denisdman wrote:
What is a Goff therapy session like?

Spot-on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
The only way Bill Simmons kept hearing Goff's name was if he said I need a cheap guy to help my diversity numbers. Who is on the street?

Disgusting take.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ron Wolfley wrote:
The only way Bill Simmons kept hearing Goff's name was if he said I need a cheap guy to help my diversity numbers. Who is on the street?

Disgusting take.

Which means you know it's true.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Goff hinting that he was unfairly labeled, leading to therapy, is priceless. Pounding his fists on the table during his racist rants on the Score, telling listeners to not listen if they don't like it. When Mac gave his opinion about the NFL kneelers that dare differ from his, he implied Mac was a racist on-air with "We've got another one!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
vitoscotti wrote:
Goff hinting that he was unfairly labeled, leading to therapy, is priceless. Pounding his fists on the table during his racist rants on the Score, telling listeners to not listen if they don't like it. When Mac gave his opinion about the NFL kneelers that dare differ from his, he implied Mac was a racist on-air with "We've got another one!"

It is tough to feel bad for Goff because he was insufferable with Bernstein. From his dumb stories about an infant daily to accusing anyone who disliked the NBA of being racist, the show was hard to listen to. And I tried.

Goff was such a good and fun loving third wheel. He wasted his talent trying to be some warped edgy version of Bernstein. I am fine with off topic conversations when they involve food, gambling, or movies (guy stuff), but wading into politics on any level is just bad. We have more than enough of that garbage on news networks.

The therapy thing feels like Karma.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Disgusting take.

This why people think that you are a racist.

And why your defenses against it fall flat.

First of all, Goff wasn't on the street. He was gainfully employed.

Secondly, Simmons clearly stated why he hired him.

And, who else would someone hire in Chicago instead of Goff that has his name recognition?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Hiring Goff is just an example of being out of town stupid on the part of Simmons. He's a recognizable name on the list of people without a daily sports talk gig, but Simmons doesn't realize why he was without one. Goff could never draw an audience and was far more likely to push one away. You can't even hate listen to him because there is no humor in it. Bernstein could drive hate listeners his way, but Goff never figured out how to do that. I mean Beardown might listen, but that's 1 hate listener, the rest of the audience ignores him. Even if you don't dislike Goff, he's just not a compelling listen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:43 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Disgusting take.

And, who else would someone hire in Chicago instead of Goff that has his name recognition?

Well said. Goff deserves a second chance. Spiegs got one and he is a terrible host. Goff is still playing the victim in life and it comes out on the radio. He needs to go back to the beginning, when radio was fun and he wasn't trying to lecture people on the life of a black man. It's not your genre, you are a SPORTS radio host and that is why we tune in. Same goes for Spiegs on music or food and MAC for how bored he is hosting sports. Mike North for real estate, dogs, the bookie priest. Bernstein for Penn State, vaccines, national news stories. Larry for comic books, stalking women on the radio, Grobstein for talking out of his ass (and shitting out of it) exc exc.

The ones that stick around got over themselves and stuck to sports. It is after all your job! No one tunes in for all the other noise. Sports is our escape and when you cross the line into our world with bullshit, we don't like it. Not because we are racist, or dog haters, support pedophiles or hate women and comic books. We just get enough of that in our daily everyday lives and NEED something to forget it all for a few minutes on the way home or sitting on our couch watching a game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:05 am 

goff, like many upcoming broadcast weirdos, feel entitled to positions because they worked for years for basically nothing.

i like when ex-athletes do the broadcasts. i dont need a formal collegiate paper holding moron to 'run' the show. let the ex players do it, it's not like it's hard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
“I just got the worst [stuff] put on me that you could possibly get put on you. ‘This guy only wants to talk about race in a world where nobody wants to hear about it.’ ”

Goff again implying that the extremely woke angle that Bernstein & Goff worked was not his idea, or at least not his idea alone. Maybe this is just a standard tactic of distancing oneself from a creative endeavor that can only be summed up as a complete disaster, but he's been pretty consistent since 2018 in implying that [(((]Other People[)))] wanted B&G to sound the way it did, but when the wheels came off they blamed him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:30 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Disgusting take.

"

Telling the truth is now "racist". Bill Simmons was called out for not being diverse enough. It's documented. He said it was a matter of a lack of qualified people. And he was roasted for it. So you can get the fuck out of here with the lazy "that's racist" bullshit. We can either speak honestly about the politics that dictate hiring or put our heads in the sand. The latter is clearly not working.

Who could he hire with name recognition for podcasters in the preferred advertising demographic? Any of the Barstool Chicago guys would be a vastly superior and proven podcaster. Any of the Chicago guys from the Athletic with a podcast.

"Gainfully employed" Jason Goff had a part-time gig as a Bulls post-game host. In the article, he lied through his teeth about seeking therapy to overcome going into podcasting. Yet, he was happy to take a TV gig. Which is more like radio?

He's been off the air for three years. He didn't start his own podcast or build an audience. He took part-time gigs that were gifted to him. His entire act has been to cram social justice and NBA talk down the audience's throat, which has kept him in the good graces of enough king makers to give him this opportunity. There is nothing in his career, and certainly not the last three years of it that says Jason Goff is a good choice to be the lead on a podcast. So we can either pretend that he's really a talented podcaster, or we can objectively look at all the circumstances surrounding this.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
In the article, he lied through his teeth about seeking therapy to overcome going into podcasting. Yet, he was happy to take a TV gig. Which is more like radio?

I don't believe he's lying through his teeth, but I will say that when issues of mental health came up on Boers & Bernstein, Jason often popped in with a "brothers don't have depression" take. Maybe he was just doing some kind of pseudo-Rock/Chappelle riff, black people don't worry about mental health because they have to worry about getting shot instead, but maybe he has genuinely evolved from saying that depression is fake. Maybe IMU has, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
In the article, he lied through his teeth about seeking therapy to overcome going into podcasting. Yet, he was happy to take a TV gig. Which is more like radio?

I don't believe he's lying through his teeth, but I will say that when issues of mental health came up on Boers & Bernstein, Jason often popped in with a "brothers don't have depression" take. Maybe he was just doing some kind of pseudo-Rock/Chappelle riff, black people don't worry about mental health because they have to worry about getting shot instead, but maybe he has genuinely evolved from saying that depression is fake. Maybe IMU has, too.

Well he was also a " people dont want to hear about your kids" guy until of course he had a kid.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:09 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

If he went to therapy good for him. I don't think it was to overcome losing the image of being a "radio guy" for potentially going into podcasting when he's been a tv host primarily for the past two years. He's trivializing therapy.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:40 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Disgusting take.

"

Telling the truth is now "racist". Bill Simmons was called out for not being diverse enough. It's documented. He said it was a matter of a lack of qualified people. And he was roasted for it. So you can get the fuck out of here with the lazy "that's racist" bullshit. We can either speak honestly about the politics that dictate hiring or put our heads in the sand. The latter is clearly not working.

Who could he hire with name recognition for podcasters in the preferred advertising demographic? Any of the Barstool Chicago guys would be a vastly superior and proven podcaster. Any of the Chicago guys from the Athletic with a podcast.

"Gainfully employed" Jason Goff had a part-time gig as a Bulls post-game host. In the article, he lied through his teeth about seeking therapy to overcome going into podcasting. Yet, he was happy to take a TV gig. Which is more like radio?

He's been off the air for three years. He didn't start his own podcast or build an audience. He took part-time gigs that were gifted to him. His entire act has been to cram social justice and NBA talk down the audience's throat, which has kept him in the good graces of enough king makers to give him this opportunity. There is nothing in his career, and certainly not the last three years of it that says Jason Goff is a good choice to be the lead on a podcast. So we can either pretend that he's really a talented podcaster, or we can objectively look at all the circumstances surrounding this.

I didn't remember Simmons being called out for a lack of diversity at The Ringer. After a quick Google search, I found that his own union called him out on it. One of the more interesting quotes I saw was Simmons explaining the lack of opportunity for younger, more obscure folks to participate in his Rewatchables podcast as time went on. I guess the podcast is mostly Simmons, Chris Ryan, Sean Fennessey, and Mallory Rubin now. Simmons responded to the NYT writer saying, "We were a startup those first two years, trying a whole bunch of different things. Eventually, we realized that podcasts were the biggest financial part of our business, so we needed to put our best people in them. Again, it’s a business, this isn’t Open Mic Night."

What kind of riveting content do the Barstool Chicago guys put out? They seem like a nice bunch but they're boring, quite dumb, and not funny. They're tryhards. I have no problem with you liking them though. That's your jam. It's okay. I do however think the argument that Bill Simmons would've hired some of the guys that think going to Quiznos to eat a sub and rate it is great content over Jason Goff – but couldn't do so because there was pressure to hire the less talented cheaper black guy is absolutely absurd.

You seem like an alright person. I just don't understand why you're so mad at Jason Goff getting a podcast that you'll never listen to. I hope you enjoy your weekend man.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:28 pm 

I don't listen to Barstool Chicago, but everyone of those guys has a significantly bigger audience than Goff. I am not angry about Jason Goff getting a podcast. It's something to talk about. I am very skeptical of the stated reasons for hiring him, and his reasons for not getting into podcasting earlier.

Goff is a talentless idiot. I am certain that if you took a few guys from here and recorded them discussing Chicago sports and local topics it would be more entertaining than anything Goff puts out. For example, LTG would be an interesting as hell podcast guest or host.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:31 pm 

I am certain that if you took a few guys from here and recorded them discussing Chicago sports and local topics it would be more entertaining than anything Goff puts out. For example, LTG would be an interesting as hell podcast guest or host.

I enjoyed LTG's previous work as Joe From Evanston.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:38 pm 

OMG someone please do a mock transcript of Dan and Terry reacting to Joe calling in and acting like he doesn't know what the Hinsdale Oasis is after challenging them to fight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
:lol: :lol:

Thats right in CH's wheelhouse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm 

Something with Terry saying something like "Oh come on, Joe, you don't know what the Hinsdale Oasis is? Have you lost your damn fool mind, for the love of God?!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm 

Wait wait wait...are you saying you've never heard of the Hinsdale Oasis?!

Jill Urchak mentions it EVERY 20 DAMN MINUTES!!

THERE IS NO DAMN WAY YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE HINSDALE OASIS!

It's not possible.

Is this a bit? Are you doing a bit??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:31 pm 

Well, let's cut Joe some slack, I mean, I, I, I've never been to the Hinsdale Oasis. I don't think I've ever been to Hinsdale at all. Where is Hinsdale, incidentally? Is it by Lisle? I like Lisle. You could even say I love it. But no, Hinsdale, I don't, no, I don't think I've ever been to the Hinsdale Oasis myself, in point of fact. I've been to the Minooka Oasis. You don't want to go there.

- Is Minooka even on the Illinois Tollway System? I thought you had to be on the Illinois Tollway System to have an Oasis.

Well, that's just it, that's the problem with the Minooka Oasis, it's just a ditch with some water and some plastic palm trees. Really not much of an oasis, but people do seem to stop there, from, ah, from what I can tell. I don't know if they walk like an Egyptian. They certainly end up walking like something. I, uh, I don't know if Egyptian would be it. Hello, friend.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:02 pm 

Fucking brilliant. Pitch-perfect, as always.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 pm 

I just don't know how Prime Bernstein would react to the idea. Would he get Big Mad like he did at anti-stat troll calls, or would he playfully toy with [EDIT: Joe] espousing such an absurd premise?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Juiced wrote:
Well said. Goff deserves a second chance. Spiegs got one and he is a terrible host.

You might not like Spiegel but he is not a terrible host. I don't like Holmes but I'll acknowledge that he is a competent, above-average host- same with Spiegel. Spiegel getting fired/released was due to the reconfiguring of the shows not because he was a terrible host with a toxic, trainwreck of a show like Goff was. Spiegel and Parkins was easily the station's best show when it was broken up. Personally, I think the optics of just removing Goff would have been too great which is why the Score needed to replace a white host in addition to Goff. So no, Goff doesn't just deserve another chance. Let him do some fill-in work and see if he should get another chance at hosting a show. While Spiegel was understandable bitter after initially getting fired, he acted professional, at least in talk radio terms, and worked his way back to his current gig. That is the path for Goff. I hope he never takes it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Well, let's cut Joe some slack, I mean, I, I, I've never been to the Hinsdale Oasis. I don't think I've ever been to Hinsdale at all. Where is Hinsdale, incidentally? Is it by Lisle? I like Lisle. You could even say I love it. But no, Hinsdale, I don't, no, I don't think I've ever been to the Hinsdale Oasis myself, in point of fact. I've been to the Minooka Oasis. You don't want to go there.

- Is Minooka even on the Illinois Tollway System? I thought you had to be on the Illinois Tollway System to have an Oasis.

Well, that's just it, that's the problem with the Minooka Oasis, it's just a ditch with some water and some plastic palm trees. Really not much of an oasis, but people do seem to stop there, from, ah, from what I can tell. I don't know if they walk like an Egyptian. They certainly end up walking like something. I, uh, I don't know if Egyptian would be it. Hello, friend.

My advice to Joe, then, if he, uh, chooses to take it, which I wouldn't, I wouldn't take advice from myself if I were the last man on earth, I'd do the opposite of what I told myself to do and it'd turn out right, or maybe left, well, what I would say then to Joe, is, you see, if you're gonna get into a fight, and you shouldn't, but if you must get into a fight with someone you meet on the internet, first of all, body camera, second of all, have your fight in a barn. With a barn, private property, everything is legal, within reason, or so I've been led to believe by the winner of the National Barnfighting Championship, I think you met him standing out on Randolph asking for money, which makes me think maybe he's not really the National Barnfighting Champion, but then, the more I think about it, maybe that means he is, which is just, well, the point I'm trying to make here, long time Joe, is that my advice for planning a fight, really, just stay away from the Hinsdale Oasis. And the Lake Forest Oasis, unless you're Brian Urlacher, but especially, and this is the big part, especially stay away from planning a fight at the Minooka Oasis. Because people will come there and they'll do things to you that you won't like, and I'm not talking about throwing a punch because you got in an argument on the internet, for the love of God. No, the Minooka Oasis people, they'll, uh, they'll do things to you in the old-fashioned way.

- How old is the old-fashioned way?

Oh, pretty old.

- So we're talking like Ancient Greece?

I'd say so, yeah. That's the problem with the hot dogs at the Minooka Oasis, too.

- They give you the hot dogs "in the old-fashioned way"?

No, the ancient grease.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:53 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

My advice to Joe, then, if he, uh, chooses to take it, which I wouldn't, I wouldn't take advice from myself if I were the last man on earth, I'd do the opposite of what I told myself to do and it'd turn out right, or maybe left, well, what I would say then to Joe, is, you see, if you're gonna get into a fight, and you shouldn't, but if you must get into a fight with someone you meet on the internet, first of all, body camera, second of all, have your fight in a barn. With a barn, private property, everything is legal, within reason, or so I've been led to believe by the winner of the National Barnfighting Championship, I think you met him standing out on Randolph asking for money, which makes me think maybe he's not really the National Barnfighting Champion, but then, the more I think about it, maybe that means he is, which is just, well, the point I'm trying to make here, long time Joe, is that my advice for planning a fight, really, just stay away from the Hinsdale Oasis. And the Lake Forest Oasis, unless you're Brian Urlacher, but especially, and this is the big part, especially stay away from planning a fight at the Minooka Oasis. Because people will come there and they'll do things to you that you won't like, and I'm not talking about throwing a punch because you got in an argument on the internet, for the love of God. No, the Minooka Oasis people, they'll, uh, they'll do things to you in the old-fashioned way.

- How old is the old-fashioned way?

Oh, pretty old.

- So we're talking like Ancient Greece?

I'd say so, yeah. That's the problem with the hot dogs at the Minooka Oasis, too.

- They give you the hot dogs "in the old-fashioned way"?

No, the ancient grease.

I'm crying right now. This part especially got me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
The Pilot Travel center in Minooka is a delightful place to fill up, grab an Arby's meal or a Cinnabon if that is your like and head on west after a trip into Chicago or Oak Brook area. A lady will likely call you hun too as you check out with your road food or caffeine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:05 pm 

Any of the Barstool Chicago guys would be a vastly superior and proven podcaster.

Fucking compelling stuff Ruffcorn.