It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
No.1 in Chicago market for the summer. I am in the minority, I just have no desire to listen, but they are killing it.

Cannot say Cubs baseball for the Cubs suck and who listens to baseball anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
They actually both admitted that they were at least somewhat wrong about LaRussa on today's show as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
A headless mole manages this Sox team to the division. Slow your roll on ancient Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Warren Newson wrote:
They actually both admitted that they were at least somewhat wrong about LaRussa on today's show as well.

Count me in the minority…I like Parkins and Speigel and still don’t like LaRussa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I listened a bit yesterday in tranny. Spiegs was very upset with Nagy and kept going on & on about how Nagy was distracting from all the actual meaningful Bears’ Monday content and forcing the show to talk about him.

Parkins jumped in to tell Spiegs nobody was forcing him to talk about anything, and that he had a radio show and could choose what he’d like to talk about.

That’s the type of content I’m here for.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:32 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Count me in the minority…I like Parkins and Speigel and still don’t like LaRussa.

Not liking him as one thing, saying that he’s a bad manager, doesn’t know what he’s doing ,can’t relate to today’s players ,and he’s racist without any evidence . All those thoughts were spouted by Score hosts when he was hired.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
cookie23 wrote:
No.1 in Chicago market for the summer. I am in the minority, I just have no desire to listen, but they are killing it.

The best and most listened to show in Chicago. I guess not taking calls doesn't hurt their ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 pm 

DAC wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

The best and most listened to show in Chicago. I guess not taking calls doesn't hurt their ratings.

Yep, you are correct. My Score days are over, to be honest I find this message board more entertaining than the station.

Nothing beat B&B back in the early 2000s. The best Chicago sports radio, so many great bits, Bernstein was the best at the time.

Now, I do like Silvy(Waddle boring) and some guests, but mainly I am Barstool for its just fun sports. Its a freakin empire now so I am sure it will lose some of what made it good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Targeted demographic good ratings, and quality are two different things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:01 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Targeted demographic good ratings, and quality are two different things.

Unless the ratings are bad, in which case they reflect your thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
They don't run a bad show. It just doesn't interest me.

I will tune in for certain guests though

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
They don't run a bad show. It just doesn't interest me.

I will tune in for certain guests though

This plus every other show on the station. Their format went from entertainment to news many years ago.
In terms of guests....that's a very short list. Most guests are a complete snore. Very few have much to say of interest.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Heard a minute or two yesterday and got a scintillating break down of offensive philosophy from two guys that know absolutely nothing about football. Remember a segment last year where Mac pointed out the Bears O line was playing high and getting blown up, Parkins quickly began talking about point spreads.

That goof Murph used to say, "miss a little, miss a lot", for the score afternoon show it's, "listen a little, push the f'n button".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 am 

Listened to P & S flipping channels yesterday. Them and Bernstein were obsessed with Fields being named the official #1 QB. Very little actual football talk in their discussions.To the point of being hysterical about it. Horrible radio. Spiegel's sports takes have fallen even lower to Parkins' level. Maybe Fields being named #1 their Bears guest segments will actually be listenable again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:49 am 

It's always amusing to read reviews of shows from guys that claim to only have ben flipping through channels...as if what they heard in those few minutes are an accurate reflection of the entire show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
It's always amusing to read reviews of shows from guys that claim to only have ben flipping through channels...as if what they heard in those few minutes are an accurate reflection of the entire show.

That's why I just ignore the bad reviews and complaints. I listen to probably 1/2 to 3/4 of their content every week so when I hear people's opinions which are blatantly wrong, it is easy to ignore them. I get it- people don't like Parkins. He is a rather pampered millennial. He is cocky and really hasn't had to work hard throughout his life. He is not a man's man and he comes from money. He married a doctor IIRC and he is a liberal. It is easy to see why older folks who were reared on the 90s Score do not particularly like him especially considering how his show differs from what old school listeners prefer. But the reality is that he is an excellent sports talk show host. Just like EVERYONE, he makes wrong predictions, but that doesn't take away from the quality show that he and Spiegel run. Think I'll go listen to a podcast from yesterday's show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
DAC wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

That's why I just ignore the bad reviews and complaints. I listen to probably 1/2 to 3/4 of their content every week so when I hear people's opinions which are blatantly wrong, it is easy to ignore them. I get it- people don't like Parkins. He is a rather pampered millennial. He is cocky and really hasn't had to work hard throughout his life. He is not a man's man and he comes from money. He married a doctor IIRC and he is a liberal. It is easy to see why older folks who were reared on the 90s Score do not particularly like him especially considering how his show differs from what old school listeners prefer. But the reality is that he is an excellent sports talk show host. Just like EVERYONE, he makes wrong predictions, but that doesn't take away from the quality show that he and Spiegel run. Think I'll go listen to a podcast from yesterday's show.

I agree with this...and while he is essentially the same demographic as Bernstein, he doesn't antagonize the callers or give off as much of a self-righteous vibe. And having Spiegel as his partner helps him way more than Rahimi helps DB.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
it's not a bad show....it just doesn't do anything particularly funny. I'm in the minority that always liked Spiegs despite his self destructive tendencies, and Parkins is a good driver for the show. Nothing will ever be B&B again. It's good background noise and occasionally it's worth a strong listen.

It's Kapman and Hood for me in the mornings, nothing mid-days and some Park/Spieg in the afternoon. I get my fill of callers with K/H.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:29 am 

City of Fools wrote:
it's not a bad show....it just doesn't do anything particularly funny. I'm in the minority that always liked Spiegs despite his self destructive tendencies, and Parkins is a good driver for the show. Nothing will ever be B&B again. It's good background noise and occasionally it's worth a strong listen.

It's Kapman and Hood for me in the mornings, nothing mid-days and some Park/Spieg in the afternoon. I get my fill of callers with K/H.

AGreed. It's fine for what it is, but for me personally....I like to have a few laughs. That's long gone.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I think that's why Wanny's segments are so good. He doesn't take anything too seriously and just likes telling funny stories.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:04 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I think that's why Wanny's segments are so good. He doesn't take anything too seriously and just likes telling funny stories.

Wanny is among the very few guests that are entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:21 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Heard a minute or two yesterday and got a scintillating break down of offensive philosophy from two guys that know absolutely nothing about football. Remember a segment last year where Mac pointed out the Bears O line was playing high and getting blown up, Parkins quickly began talking about point spreads.

That goof Murph used to say, "miss a little, miss a lot", for the score afternoon show it's, "listen a little, push the f'n button".

+1 I turn it on only when the other stations are on a commercial. I quickly end up PTFB for FM radio because it is so unlistenable.

When I get a new "work" car that has a USB, I will be completely done with 670 and only turn on ESPN when I want to hear about a certain topic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:22 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Wanny is among the very few guests that are entertaining.

Wanny is awesome because he is "old school" and not a libtard, new age, crony.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:32 pm 

I listen to a little here & there. It adds up.The show could have the 2 hosts with the least sports knowledge in the history of Chicago sports radio.

The Score eventually has to say these are mostly non sports shows and be open about. Present it as a sjw, music, debate, family life, small talk show. I'd be surprised if P & S have ever made a fist before they're so non sports guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:36 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

AGreed. It's fine for what it is, but for me personally....I like to have a few laughs. That's long gone.

When McNeil declared that he didn't want to deviate from strictly sports talk, I stopped listening. Free form radio is what made the station. Not to mention the goofy commercials like for Luigi's of Hong Kong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:00 pm 

I like Parkins and I think he is as close to the vibe of the golden era as they are going to get. I think he actually likes and appreciates his listeners. I don't think he is arrogant. I think the one thing he is lacking is life experiences and that isn't just because of his upbringing. He can't rely on war stories during the dead months of sports. However, he, like the guys from the old days, seems like someone I'd get along with if we met.

Spiegs is a little different. I'm the original Spiegal guy here. I've loved his baseball work since his national days. I think life threw him some curveballs and he wasn't dedicated to his craft. He does seem better now but I just wonder what he will be like when Tributosaurus can play gigs every week again. He also devolves, like so many baseball lovers, into being overly nostalgic.

It's a good enough show. I wouldn't stay in my car an extra five minutes to hear what they have to say but its solid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

When McNeil declared that he didn't want to deviate from strictly sports talk, I stopped listening. Free form radio is what made the station. Not to mention the goofy commercials like for Luigi's of Hong Kong.

Yep...that's exactly when McNeil lost his fastball. Most here are overly fond of the MJH show. It was good, but it was no HFC or Monsters. Those guys went off on tangents all the time and just had a great time. It was fun....that's what I miss.

Even the McNeil / Jiggetts show had some fun to it. Jiggs was overly serious, but he was likeable and knew football.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
What the heck has Harry been up to the last (checks watch) decade or so?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:51 am 

cashing inheritance checks and living his best life with his wife and kid and no alcohol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
DAC wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

With any media entity you get a few mins to capture and hold an audience, this is especially true now given the endless options. The biggest issue with many here is that they are willing to settle for hapless content, those of us with limited time to consume sports talk media have little patience and move on quickly from bland content. The rest of us will continue to move on to other options quickly, certainly not going to get anything other than SJW approved twitter regurgitation on the WSCR afternoon show, so why not move on to far superior content.