It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:06 am 
1000 CLUB

About Hub's report that George McCaskey ordered him to play Justin Fields. Hub was subbing today.

Hub claimed to have 2 sources and stood by the story.

Then, in typical Hub fashion, Hub said "Nagy is a good guy and it's not like he's calling me a liar. I stand by my report. If I'm proven to be wrong, I'll admit it and retract the report."

Hub, Nagy is calling you a liar. That's exactly what he's saying. Now, you can always fall back on a bad source. But he's calling the report a lie, thus he's calling you a liar.

Quite honestly, I don't think George is the type to make this type of order. I just don't. So I believe Nagy.

By the way, our fucking Chicago media never gets scoops. Never. Biggs every now and then. But I hear Hub talking about calling sources. I hear Bernstein saying that he has sources with all teams. But they never get anything. Bernstein always says he's calling his sources after national guys break something.

It's all bullshit. I really believe they make up the fact that they have sources. They just like to say that to sound like they are in the know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:48 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hub has to be diplomatic. He can't get into a pissing contest with the team who's his bread & butter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:01 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
i heard hub's recent interview with swirsky and found out hub was a guest on the swirsk's wcfl program in 1979.

i just don't remember hub or his family's publication from back then. i do remember doug buffone's 'bear report', don't remember hub's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:14 am 
1000 CLUB

vitoscotti wrote:
Hub has to be diplomatic. He can't get into a pissing contest with the team who's his bread & butter.

I know. Hub is a squirmy guy. Always has been. He'll say something that's criticism and or shocking, then in the next sentence he'll back track from what he just said.

Hub amuses me. He wants to tell it like it is. He'll tell you his initial thought. Then he gets scared right after he says it and backtracks. Shouldn't be that way for a guy his age - his years in the stupid football media business. But that's how he is.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Well, if it wasn't George who gave the order, then who was it? Because Nagy sure didn't make the decision on his own.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
i heard hub's recent interview with swirsky and found out hub was a guest on the swirsk's wcfl program in 1979.

i just don't remember hub or his family's publication from back then. i do remember doug buffone's 'bear report', don't remember hub's.

Spent many hours pouring through the PFW draft guide back in the day. Later learned that the dude that put it together did it all without leaving his NYC apartment, the early days of draft stuff was an odd place. Hub has quite a bit in common with the McKaskey family, both have family owned businesses they are trying to hand down to the next generation.

Will always miss the angry, honest Hub you got for a few years after he was launched from the teams radio booth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:58 am 
1000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Spent many hours pouring through the PFW draft guide back in the day. Later learned that the dude that put it together did it all without leaving his NYC apartment, the early days of draft stuff was an odd place. Hub has quite a bit in common with the McKaskey family, both have family owned businesses they are trying to hand down to the next generation.

Will always miss the angry, honest Hub you got for a few years after he was launched from the teams radio booth.

Hub was a very good analyst when he was in the booth for the Bears. That's why he got fired.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The way Nagy brought up this story on his own, and then volunteered to refute it, leads me to believe that Hub's reporting was accurate. Nagy was just trying to cover George's ass, but he did something out of character for himself. That was a tell. If he would have been patient, I'm sure someone would have asked.

Nagy was also pissed to learn about Fields dancing with fractured ribs. He did a pretty good job hiding his anger.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
The way Nagy brought up this story on his own, and then volunteered to refute it, leads me to believe that Hub's reporting was accurate. Nagy was just trying to cover George's ass, but he did something out of character for himself. That was a tell. If he would have been patient, I'm sure someone would have asked.

Nagy was also pissed to learn about Fields dancing with fractured ribs. He did a pretty good job hiding his anger.

Well, we know Nagy didn't make the decision because that wasn't the plan.

And we know it wasn't Pace because he is the coauthor of the Dalton Plan.

So who does that leave?

This isn't rocket surgery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Clawmaster wrote:

Joel Buchsbaum, yeah. He was like if Les never left home to fill up on press box food.

I don't think Hub owns PFW anymore. I think he sold it to the Herald.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:52 am 
1000 CLUB

I think Hub still owns part of PFW, but it sounds like Shaw Media is the majority owner. Hub must've needed them to bail PFW out of bankruptcy after Florio kicked his ass all over the place and drove him into irrelevance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I seem to recall Hub admitting he missed the internet window. Or Mac or someone said he was stubborn about it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Hub must've needed them to bail PFW out of bankruptcy after Florio kicked his ass all over the place and drove him into irrelevance.

The mult "PFW Commenter," in which a dumb guy struggles to type "where'd you play your ball" and "guys I gotta tell ya I just picked 'em a year early," would have amused myself for precisely one post.

pittmike wrote:
I seem to recall Hub admitting he missed the internet window. Or Mac or someone said he was stubborn about it?

Hub has big "the internet? hehe, that's never gonna work" vibes, yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:

When Pro Football Talk first started, Hub was mailing out PFW on the Wednesday following the Sunday games. Meanwhile, Florio was updating his site just about every hour.

A couple years later, Hub "caught up" with technology by emailing pdf versions of PFW to subscribers by the Monday night following games or something like that. :lol:

Then like five years later Hub got a decent website.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I met Hub at a fundraiser years ago, and he said the most valuable asset PFW had at the time was the phone number 1-800-FOOTBALL, which he thought was worth $50k.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Mac signs in to the board. Checks his forum.

"Goddammit, why is Beardown posting shit about Hub in my memorial forum?" "And where are the posts about my great new show with Oak Park Vandy?"

Beardown: "Mac has a new show?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I do recall Hub lamenting that he messed up on the internet. He went into pretty big detail.

Don't remember whose show it was that he was on for that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
In reading these posts about hub it seems like he probably employs someone just to keep an eye on the company fax machine.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
veganfan21 wrote:
In reading these posts about hub it seems like he probably employs someone just to keep an eye on the company fax machine.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Technology has changed dramatically since he got started. I think age just makes you naturally RESIST the change at some point. It's probably a good idea to keep young people around as interns or something so you don't get left behind.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
When Chicago sports people like George, Pace, Nagy, Theo, and Hoyer always talk in circles, with nonsensical gibberish lawyer talk. It's really hard to believe anything they have to say. Especially when they're defending themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
Well, if it wasn't George who gave the order, then who was it? Because Nagy sure didn't make the decision on his own.

You're right. Let's say it wasn't George, is it Pace then? What does that mean for the relationship with Nagy if it is him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Hub was a very good analyst when he was in the booth for the Bears. That's why he got fired.

He was fired for his outburst on the Jauron Show where he went after a caller.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Hub had already been fired from the booth by the time he started doing the Jauron show.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Hub had already been fired from the booth by the time he started doing the Jauron show.

He was still working for the Bears.

That is the reason the Bears cut him loose.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

The post you originally responded to specifically refers to his firing from the booth, nothing else.

And I don't think his employment with the Bears was continuous.

He was fired from his radio analyst job. Then after a few years, I think he was re-hired. And then he was re-fired.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:14 pm 

I thought I remembered him being out after the 2001 season but everything I can find says he was out after '04.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
The post you originally responded to specifically refers to his firing from the booth, nothing else.

And I don't think his employment with the Bears was continuous.

He was fired from his radio analyst job. Then after a few years, I think he was re-hired. And then he was re-fired.

I thought Hub had left the booth earlier, but apparently he did not according to this article. He was there until he was let go over the dust up on the Jauron show.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... utType=amp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
I thought I remembered him being out after the 2001 season but everything I can find says he was out after '04.

The reason for his departure is directly from Hub himself

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Interesting that the board pops for this, yet nothing from any of the current on air shows generates any response.

The comments about the circular legalese bs that the team spokespeople are able to get away with on modern sports talk radio is right on, North may have been and idiot, but he was able to generate responses and actually interesting sports talk radio content.

The stations adaptation of Bernstein's "smart fans" approach has dulled the station down to the point that nothing unique or entertaining is generated by the station despite having ten plus hours a day to air something, anything that actually interests anyone outside of the Bernstein/Parkins/Spiegs/Holmes bubble.