It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Interesting, but pitching, especially starting pitching, is a little bit of art mixed in with science, more about changing speed and location on guys each time through the lineup. The great starters would guys rarely throw a strike to free swingers, guys like Nolan Ryan could strike out 400 per year easily today because most hitters have bought into the launch angle crap and dudes that can bring the high cheese with an occasional slow curve would have a field day today as the modern hitters wave and miss at eye high fastballs all day.

Always thought Kyle Farnsworth was the ultimate example of a guy with incredible velocity, but he never learned how to pitch so everything came out at the same speed, good hitters eventually catch up to velocity in the zone and if you do not show them anything else, they eventually figure you out.

Still think baseball is going to make a slow pivot back to contact, speed, and situational hitting, that is if they ever get back to playing baseball and if anyone besides the middle-aged guys like myself and my chronies is paying attention. It seems we will eventually see a great baseball decline as not many you people pay attention, let alone follow it as much as I did and all my friends did back in the day.

Find Spiegs takes on baseball cute, he views the sport in a type of Field of Dreams manner, but you never learn anything about baseball from him, but rarely listen to the afternoon show, so maybe he's gotten better?

Really miss Uncle Terry's baseball thoughts, he always had a unique take on the game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:31 pm 

Maybe this should be changed from, "The Dan McNeil Memorial Forum", to, "The Score Memorial Forum", because it seems this is the place everyone comes to talk about how much better the station used to be back in the day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:35 pm 

This is going to sound ghey, but there is something to the style, sounds and inherent pretty nature of the game when it's played at the higher levels. It's what the analytics guys will never understand. And that Sportscenter cannot capture.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Clawmaster wrote:
Maybe this should be changed from, "The Dan McNeil Memorial Forum", to, "The Score Memorial Forum", because it seems this is the place everyone comes to talk about how much better the station used to be back in the day.

Maybe it should just be moved to the Parkins and Spiegel section since that's where it came from. Hey wait!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Listened to it and it was enjoyable listening to Jack. He made some good arguments against the metrics.

Also made some good comments about the current lockout.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
JM can speak freely not having ties to MLB. Not a TLR fan. Wish P & S would have pursued that topic deeper. But, they were in full restraint mode.

Spiegel kept stumbling asking JM about a 20+ year old music show. Then asking JM if he ever played for an owner who didn't love the game? JM is like we don't deal with those guys.

One ploy P & S use with dissenting opinions are snide remarks implying
the person is intellectually inferior. They can't do that with Stanford educated JM.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:25 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
JM can speak freely not having ties to MLB. Not a TLR fan. Wish P & S would have pursued that topic deeper. But, they were in full restraint mode.

Spiegel kept stumbling asking JM about a 20+ year old music show. Then asking JM if he ever played for an owner who didn't love the game? JM is like we don't deal with those guys.

the person is intellectually inferior. They can't do that with Stanford educated JM

I noticed this too. It's been done in the past by hosts, but there was a comedic style to it. Nowadays its just comes off lame and arrogant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darkside wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
... words..

This is a bad take.

Agree.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:18 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Darkside wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
... words..

This is a bad take.

Agree.

oh look. the serial bully must have got defeated fighting caller bob so he needs new prey. pathetic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
My main takeaway from this is that jorr likely vastly overrates the fantasy baseball prowess of many here

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:54 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

the person is intellectually inferior. They can't do that with Stanford educated JM

I noticed this too. It's been done in the past by hosts, but there was a comedic style to it. Nowadays its just comes off lame and arrogant.

Parkins and Bernstein are from very wealthy background, you find most folks that grew up that way often have difficulties understanding the fact that there are vast aspects of life that they know very little about because they rarely interacted with people that didn't think exactly like they do growing up, they don't know what they don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Clawmaster wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Parkins and Bernstein are from very wealthy background, you find most folks that grew up that way often have difficulties understanding the fact that there are vast aspects of life that they know very little about because they rarely interacted with people that didn't think exactly like they do growing up, they don't know what they don't know.

Bernstein has always pushed heavily he deemed himself an aficionado on the Southside (restaurants, grocers, bars, music haunts, short cuts).

Bernstein has 4 separate voices he uses to portray inferior dis & dem lunch bucket Chicagoans, meatball Bears fans, crackers, sheep mentally PDT supporters. Leila has one voice for all 4 when she is given permission to chime in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
vitoscotti wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Bernstein has always pushed heavily he deemed himself an aficionado on the Southside (restaurants, grocers, bars, music haunts, short cuts).

Bernstein has 4 separate voices he uses to portray inferior dis & dem lunch bucket Chicagoans, meatball Bears fans, crackers, sheep mentally PDT supporters. Leila has one voice for all 4 when she is given permission to chime in.

Dat's ezackly right!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:56 am 

I didn't hear it and I won't look for it, as three communications majors discussing sophisticated statistics has as much interest for me as a guy who just read A Brief History of Time discussing high level astrophysics.

I've said this about Kasper as well: reading Baseball Prospectus doesn't make you a sabermatrician. It makes you a person who reads Baseball Prospectus.

I never liked Jack Mc Dowell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol: Brilliant.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

I understand pulling your 4th or 5th starter when the lineup comes around for the 3rd time. Don't get it if your 1 or 2 starters are studs. Let them go 7 or 8 innings.