It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Who is Shane?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Had a get together of a bunch of my buddies from around Chicagoland over the weekend. We were talking sports and one person piped up about the Score.

I have not listened to the score in any form for probably 1 1/2. I used to be a loyal listener. Nothing to do with politics, etc, just the line up and that on WMVP is just dull(imo).

That said a few did and the first one brought up a producer named Shane. No idea who Shane is, I thought it was Tanny, they informed he is is still on air.

Not take it that we are a bunch of mid to late 40s, not in best shape guys, nobodies.

But oh my god, they both could not stop saying how horrible the show is and they keep focusing on this kid hipster guy who is just awful.

They don't hate him, like some hated Bernstein when he was relevant, but just find he brings nothing to the show.

Agree/disagree?

Curious what those who still listen think.

My own listening, on sports really nothing. I feel like my teenage kids where I just watch youtube highlights and just satisfied and just not interested in hearing sports opinions.

Again I don't think it is the hosts fault, but the freakin phone has so much info on everything, just kinda leaves the consumer burned out of wanting to hear more.

Anyway is the new producer Shane good, bad in those that listen? How is the show as a whole?

Post subject: Re: Who is Shane?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:32 pm 

I like Shane. He adds a good dynamic to Meat and Parkins show. I think they have the best show going right now, definitely not a high bar any longer. But they seem to enjoy having fun and do not take themselves too serious. Parkins and crew have managed to make Meatpants a good listen after all these years of him being a huge baby.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
RFDC wrote:
I like Shane. He adds a good dynamic to Meat and Parkins show. I think they have the best show going right now, definitely not a high bar any longer. But they seem to enjoy having fun and do not take themselves too serious. Parkins and crew have managed to make Meatpants a good listen after all these years of him being a huge baby.

Agreed. Love the chemistry he has with the hosts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:25 am 

Thanks for the info. Again, 2 people out of #### of people who listen. They didn't not like him, just thought he added nothing to the show and probably a kid so us old 45 year olds probably just being old men that yell at clouds.

I am curious how long AM Sports radio can go on. Maybe I am an outlier, but don't think so in this case. Everyone has a podcast(even the 670 and 1000 shows) so you can listen anytime.

It's weird and I have heard the same from others, listening to pre and post game and sports talk has just lost its interest to so many.

I used to love to watch the NFL on Fox pregame with Jimmy, Terry, etc. I just turn on the game at noon now.

Think the only show that was the best of all was NFL Primetime back in the day when it was an hour and that was all you had. Berman and TJ breaking down all the games. You had no espn news 24 hours, no youtube, 10,000 articles, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:23 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Parkins & Spiegel are best talking about their many humorous struggles navigating through life. Their generic sports talk is generic blather that's interchangeable with other boring Score hosts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
cookie23 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Again, 2 people out of #### of people who listen. They didn't not like him, just thought he added nothing to the show and probably a kid so us old 45 year olds probably just being old men that yell at clouds.

I am curious how long AM Sports radio can go on. Maybe I am an outlier, but don't think so in this case. Everyone has a podcast(even the 670 and 1000 shows) so you can listen anytime.

It's weird and I have heard the same from others, listening to pre and post game and sports talk has just lost its interest to so many.

I used to love to watch the NFL on Fox pregame with Jimmy, Terry, etc. I just turn on the game at noon now.

Think the only show that was the best of all was NFL Primetime back in the day when it was an hour and that was all you had. Berman and TJ breaking down all the games. You had no espn news 24 hours, no youtube, 10,000 articles, etc.

The 24/7 availability of the NFL Network has made the pre/post game stuff irrelevant to me because you can tune in any time of the day or night and get a better and more detailed breakdown of the league. The same goes for the NHL, you get more in 5 mins of the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast that you will from anything pre/post.

Rarely listen to any local sports talk radio because the podcast world offers much better and more detailed information on the stuff I care about in a concise little package without the virtue signaling and SJW approved idiocy you get from the current group of goofs they are marching out there to do what they are calling sports talk radio on the score these days.

Anyone that had the pleasure of listening to guys like Dahl, Kevin Matthews, and even the Heavy Fuel Crew and Monsters back in the day know how entertaining AM radio can be when done well, and your not ever going to get that with the current lineup at the score.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 am 

Alan Ladd .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:42 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
cookie23 wrote:

tc.

Let me preface this by saying I have not listened to the show nearly as much as I did last summer so some things might have changed but I don't like Shane Riordan at all. He's a very opinionated, elitist, vocal hipster. I don't need that fucking guy to lecture me on grilling or sports or alcohol or anything for that matter. He has a very abrasive, antagonistic shtick on the show which when you put in context with his age and his job, you have to question why he is tolerated. And I have often thought he is living far beyond his means. How does a producer on the Score live in Chicago, seemingly alone, have a very active social life going to many Sox games and dining out? What does a producer make on the Score? 60k?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:44 am 

DAC wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

tc.

Let me preface this by saying I have not listened to the show nearly as much as I did last summer so some things might have changed but I don't like Shane Riordan at all. He's a very opinionated, elitist, vocal hipster. I don't need that fucking guy to lecture me on grilling or sports or alcohol or anything for that matter. He has a very abrasive, antagonistic shtick on the show which when you put in context with his age and his job, you have to question why he is tolerated. And I have often thought he is living far beyond his means. How does a producer on the Score live in Chicago, seemingly alone, have a very active social life going to many Sox games and dining out? What does a producer make on the Score? 60k?

He is opinionated and doesn't mind mixing it up and quite frankly the SCORE Needs more of that. Too much vanilla. I don't need to hear people with all the same opinion on things.

Why does it matter how he lives? It is his money and his life. I don't give a fuck if he goes out every day and blows 10,000 a night. Just entertain me when you are on the radio.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:01 am 

I'm a sucker for a sassy producer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:15 am 

RFDC wrote:
Why does it matter how he lives? It is his money and his life. I don't give a fuck if he goes out every day and blows 10,000 a night. Just entertain me when you are on the radio.

The problem is that he doesn't entertain me. He annoys me. And quite frankly, I lose a lot of respect for someone when they live a fiscally irresponsible, undisciplined life. Maybe that is not the case with Shane because I am just questioning it based on his job and the comments he makes about his social life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:20 am 

DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

The problem is that he doesn't entertain me. He annoys me. And quite frankly, I lose a lot of respect for someone when they live a fiscally irresponsible, undisciplined life. Maybe that is not the case with Shane because I am just questioning it based on his job and the comments he makes about his social life.

I guess we are all different. I have not ever considered whether someone is fiscally responsible or not while listening to them on the radio.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
He’s grown on me. Couldn’t stand him at first but the more I listen, the more I think he & Tanny make that show work.

My biggest issue with him is the fast talking monotone voice, but it’s fine when he’s not dominating a conversation.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
A lot of detractors of classic Score shows here bring up when the shows fizzled, or took a wrong turn. But a huge timeframe of the great shows they rocked. When best of clips are played that stuff wasn't unusual. It happened all the time.

P & S are current fresh to memory, but could any body who listens bring up 10, 5, 2, or even 1 instance of great sports radio that they generated? If anybody has any they're keeping it to themselves because it's not being posted here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:
DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I guess we are all different. I have not ever considered whether someone is fiscally responsible or not while listening to them on the radio.

Agreed. What does it matter how he lives his life. I'm guessing he has some family money. He talks about his dad a lot and their Sox season tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:08 am 

Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:
DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Agreed. What does it matter how he lives his life. I'm guessing he has some family money. He talks about his dad a lot and their Sox season tickets.

A lot of people talk negatively about Spiegel's weight and Parkins' pampered life and Bernstein for being odd in a multitude of ways. None of it affects their performance as a host but when we listen to people and ultimately form opinions about them, most of us take into account many facets of their life not related to their views on sports.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
He took shepkowskis job. He also doesn't like july or fels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
DAC wrote:
Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:
DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

A lot of people talk negatively about Spiegel's weight and Parkins' pampered life and Bernstein for being odd in a multitude of ways. None of it affects their performance as a host but when we listen to people and ultimately form opinions about them, most of us take into account many facets of their life not related to their views on sports.

Forget their bad sports opinions, none of the 3 you mentioned are likeable as people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:44 am 

Augie wrote:
DAC wrote:
Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:
DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Forget their bad sports opinions, none of the 3 you mentioned are likeable as people.

I think Parkins is harmless. We know he's soft and comes from money but I definitely don't think he's a bad guy in the least. He puts up with a lot of criticism and handles it quite well in my opinion. He'd probably be fun to hang out and watch a game with. He'd be the perfect younger nephew to have. Now Spiegel and Bernstein are a different story. I don't view either of them are bad guys but depending on when you run into them they seem like they could be arrogant and insufferable. Don't get me wrong- I still like them but they are more layered than Parkins.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:
DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

If the host/producer is going to be the guy at the end of the bar cracking jokes and talking sports, then I'm in the RFDC camp. However, if he's going to deliver lectures and tell people they're idiots and/or immoral, then I think any comments he makes about his personal life on the air are fair game. I don't listen to a lot of Parkins and Speigel but, from what I've heard, Shane seems more of an end of the bar guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:20 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
If the host/producer is going to be the guy at the end of the bar cracking jokes and talking sports, then I'm in the RFDC camp. However, if he's going to deliver lectures and tell people they're idiots and/or immoral, then I think any comments he makes about his personal life on the air are fair game. I don't listen to a lot of Parkins and Speigel but, from what I've heard, Shane seems more of an end of the bar guy.

In that regard, Shane likes to shit on hockey yet he loves the boring game of baseball and the historically dull White Sox. And now his new thing is F1. So yeah, his sports preferences suck too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

cookie23 wrote:

Who on the Score has their own podcast? They "podcast" their shows, but I'm not aware of anyone having an additional podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
cookie23 wrote:

That's just it: the new model is podcasts that happen to air live on the radio. No lore, no listener interaction, just little modules of hosts and their guests telling you what's what. Chet Coppock On Demand, basically.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

That's just it: the new model is podcasts that happen to air live on the radio. No lore, no listener interaction, just little modules of hosts and their guests telling you what's what. Chet Coppock On Demand, basically.

your time, my dancefloor!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

Ah, can't beat a Diet Coke while getting fitted for a suit at John Cicco.

And Chet usually had callers on for some of his guests, as well as in hour #3 (this part I remember because I usually hated the callers when I was working and used that time to go get some dinner).

95% of callers suck. The exceptions are those like Jason from Evanston, and eventually he sucked too once he bought a Range Rover.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
I like that he hates Julie and Sam Fels, but other then that tommy tool time

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:39 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

That's all I want.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:57 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Nicklin3011 wrote:
I like that he hates Julie and Sam Fels, but other then that tommy tool time

Fels took a shot at Mac on Twitter after Mac commented on Twitter that he's lucky he's not on the air with the Cam Newton and Tony Dungy stories...as he would probably be fired again. Fels clams he's evolved and Mac had his chances to, but didn't take them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Shane is one of the few people who can bridge the gap between 670 and Barstool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

The problem with this is that if they go that route, there are no barriers to entry for someone else to come in and take their lunch. Instead of just competing with 1 other station across town for sports talk, they are competing with a dozens of others in market producing a product that is indistinguishable from their own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next