It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Look, it's not like I disagree with what they say. Most of us have the same opinion. Most of the world has the same opinion.

It just bothers me that they think they are important people to talk about this on their sports radio platform. Bothers me that they congratulate each other on how they handled this tragedy. Like they're the only ones that feel bad that innocent people died. That they're the only ones that think their should be better gun laws.

I'll go to CNN to hear smarter people talk about it. Or I'll read about it if I choose. I don't want to hear it from the sports radio guys. That's all.

Actually, beyond not interested in hearing their un-informed opinions and the need to "do something", they all have the same opinions - nothing but liberal talking points that don't actually do anything to reduce gun violence. Is there anyone on the station who advocated for more security at schools or was that laughed as ridiculous while suggesting that a ban on assault weapons (while not knowing what that actually means) is the actual solution that will stop these things?

You're right - sports is why they are on the air, but they really do believe they have a larger responsibility to be extremely woke or liberal and take on the tough topics because they have a microphone. Granted, their sports knowledge in my cases is not that impressive either though. Really, the station is in trouble when they try to be political and they get defensive about being questioned.

Did Parkins re-explain why it's disingenuous to question gun violence in Chicago again? Love that argument.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
To answer BD's questions, I don't know what Parkins opinion is on Chicago violence, but I am one of those moderate dems of the past that doesnt have a place in politics anymore, so I will do my best

-Chicago violence started coming up in the news when Obama ran for President. All of a sudden it is all about how Chicago is the most dangerous place in the US. It is not. Actually during Obama's time in office things were bad(and have gotten worse now), but compared to Chicago homicide rates in the early 90s, crime was down substantially. Also cities like St. Louis, Baltimore, etc. per capita are for for more dangerous and have worse crime rates than Chicago.

-Also those who claim to care about Chicago violence on the right don't. They just use it as a narrative driven talking point. They would never give money, work hard in helping restore the neighborhoods, etc.

-Now the extreme left which I put most people in the left 40 and under, they are just as bad. They cherrypick stories as well and focus on them over and over and do nothing but wear shirts, hashtags, they say they want to confront uncomfortable realities, but they don't

In my opinion, it is a combo of both right and left failed policies. The right never cared about inner city violence and the left had good intentions, but some of the policies actually made things worse and they know it, but all they care about are votes so they don't change.

I am not a gun guy, I hate guns. That said there were guns around forever and not this amount of mass shooting.

Odd thing is while inner city violence is on the uptick, it is still no where close to the 80s,90s.

What is up is crazy white kids who should be locked up with zero access to guns. Almost all these cases these people are extremely messed up either by a mental illness they cannot control or borderline mentally ill and get set off.

While these things are extremely tragic and beyond awful, they are rare, while inner city violence is daily.

The left and the right does not care about inner city violence. It is actually one thing they have bipartisan support on. They don't care.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Chicago's violent crime rate: 1,006.1 per 100,000 people

about half of the most violent large city in the nation

29. Chicago 1,006.1

10. Stockton 1,399.6
9. Milwaukee 1,413.0
8. Little Rock 1,446.1
7. Cleveland 1,449.6
6. KC 1,590.3 (didn't know gays were so violent)
5 St Louis 1,800.4
4. B'More 1,833.4
3. B'ham 1,911.5
2. Memphis 1,943.2
1. Detroit 2,007.8

Probably why I always feel at home in Memphis.

Chicago did lead the nation in homicides, 563; which is about double the number of homicides in Detroit. However, Detroit, 672,000 pop, has a quarter the population of Chicago, at 2.7 million.
Detroit stats also don't include bodies dumped in Highland Park and Hamtramck, two small cities smack in the middle of Detroit proper.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Hussra wrote:
Chicago's violent crime rate: 1,006.1 per 100,000 people

about half of the most violent large city in the nation

29. Chicago 1,006.1

10. Stockton 1,399.6
9. Milwaukee 1,413.0
8. Little Rock 1,446.1
7. Cleveland 1,449.6
6. KC 1,590.3 (didn't know gays were so violent)

That’s very good.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants