It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pat Mahomes SR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Was on P&S this afternoon (about an hour ago)

Post subject: Re: Pat Mahomes SR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
You're an asshole for sharing this. Ryan Pace is the devil.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:41 pm 

The Bears would have ruined Mahomes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:45 pm 

It was a good interview.

But yeah that sucks. That draft will forever haunt the Bears. Needed a QB and TE. Could have had Mahomes and Kittle. Got Tribusky and Shaheen.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:

No chance. It's what we have to think so we don't cry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Caller Bob wrote:

Nah.. like Burrow with cincy, great qbs overcome Terrible organizations and ownership

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Mahomes Sr. can fuck off for talking about it. Do the right thing and pretend it never happened.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Lotta revisionist history. I'm a proud Mitch hater but it's not insane that he was picked before Mahomes. There was no consensus no 1 and more than a few rankings had him either 1 or 2 out of the three. If anything there was more clarity about Watson while not much separated Mahomes and (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. So Parkins is being revisionist when he claims Pace screwed up by not picking Mahomes. What was insane was trading up to draft (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky: if anything in that draft you trade down from 3 to grab one of the three, since there was no consensus must have QB between the three.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm 

I'm surprised Pace talked to Mahomes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:44 pm 

Brick wrote:

He offered Mahomes' camp a third round pick for the right to talk to him and scout him at the combine before Mahomes' agent stepped in and told Pace this could all happen for free.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:47 pm 

Brick wrote:

Tradecraft to hide his affection for Mitchell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
veganfan21 wrote:
Lotta revisionist history. I'm a proud Mitch hater but it's not insane that he was picked before Mahomes. There was no consensus no 1 and more than a few rankings had him either 1 or 2 out of the three. If anything there was more clarity about Watson while not much separated Mahomes and (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. So Parkins is being revisionist when he claims Pace screwed up by not picking Mahomes. What was insane was trading up to draft (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky: if anything in that draft you trade down from 3 to grab one of the three, since there was no consensus must have QB between the three.

But he did screw up. It was his job to evaluate the players in question and he fell in love with a 1 year starter from a fringe college program who turned out to be a complete bust. Trading up to get him made it even worse. It really doesn't matter what the mock draft "experts" thought about it unless you think that a GM should just pick whoever Mel Kiper's has as the best remaining on the board.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

But he did screw up. It was his job to evaluate the players in question and he fell in love with a 1 year starter from a fringe college program who turned out to be a complete bust. Trading up to get him made it even worse. It really doesn't matter what the mock draft "experts" thought about it unless you think that a GM should just pick whoever Mel Kiper's has as the best remaining on the board.

God willing the same thing happens with some GM and Levis this draft cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:35 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

That's not a fair reading of mock drafts. By mock drafts I don't mean bloggers from Bleacher Report I mean the collective wisdom from NFL personnel executives and scouts. No one predicted this out of Mahomes. If you want to say pace should have seen that then fine but then he's not the only one who missed out on him.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:50 pm 

Here are anonymous scouts for example ranking (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky #1. You'll find others where it's Watson #1 and so on. I think Pace is an idiot and incompetent but I can't say he is alone in failing to project Mahomes' potential.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 100817778/

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
veganfan21 wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

That's not a fair reading of mock drafts. By mock drafts I don't mean bloggers from Bleacher Report I mean the collective wisdom from NFL personnel executives and scouts. No one predicted this out of Mahomes. If you want to say pace should have seen that then fine but then he's not the only one who missed out on him.
Well the Chiefs traded 2 firsts and a 3rd to draft Mahomes, so I'd say somebody saw him as a star. Is Joe Douglas (Jets GM) blameless for drafting Zach Wilson?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
Here are anonymous scouts for example ranking (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky #1. You'll find others where it's Watson #1 and so on. I think Pace is an idiot and incompetent but I can't say he is alone in failing to project Mahomes' potential.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 100817778/

I disagree. Only because he narrowed it down to (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Mahomes. There isn't a (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky intangible that trumps the gap in talent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:06 pm 

Yes, KC clearly deserves credit. They saw something in him. They appear to be in the minority since ten other teams passed on him.

Your Wilson question is more philosophical. It was consistent with conventional wisdom at the time to draft Wilson early. Here's a report from anonymous NFL people that compares Wilson to Rodgers, among other people. Incidentally, this report is really interesting on Fields. I think it nailed him, looking back on it. https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/28/gamep ... arterbacks

So now you have to ask: though it was unsurprising that Wilson went #2, should the team that took him be blamed since he didn't turn out to be any good? I don't know if I disagree with the process. I mean they didn't pull a Pace and overdraft Wilson or pay an unreasonable premium for him. They made a conventional pick - take the best QB on the board. Many/most NFL people considered that to be Wilson. It didn't work out.

I really don't know if I can "blame" them since that's just hindsight bias. Saying Portland should have never taken Bowe after the fact isn't interesting. Of course they shouldn't have, in hindsight. The question is did the Jets make the optimal pick with the information they had at the time of the pick.

EDIT: And what I would blame the Jets for is not cutting their losses if they fail to do so. The Bears compounded the (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky disaster by sticking with him for a season too long. Once you realize you have a loss you cut bait and move on.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

I'm not sure the Bowie analogy works. Portland already had a great wing, and the league was still tailored to big men. Bowie was a great athletic big. He just had Walton feet. In hindsight, Houston takes Jordan #1. In retrospect, the Browns should have taken Mahomes #1. If Fields becomes a pro bowl player, but a quarterback in this draft becomes a HoF player, can you blame the Bears for not taking him? That's what we do with Jordan v Bowie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Well the Chiefs traded 2 firsts and a 3rd to draft Mahomes, so I'd say somebody saw him as a star. Is Joe Douglas (Jets GM) blameless for drafting Zach Wilson?
I don't think that really says they saw him as a star. They obviously liked his potential but they took a big chance that they left without a star quarterback by waiting so long to pick him.

Pace's problem wasn't picking (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky over Mahomes or Watson. It was that he was so sure that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky was better that he wasn't even willing to take either of the other two as a backup plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I don't think that really says they saw him as a star. They obviously liked his potential but they took a big chance that they left without a star quarterback by waiting so long to pick him.

Pace's problem wasn't picking (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky over Mahomes or Watson. It was that he was so sure that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky was better that he wasn't even willing to take either of the other two as a backup plan.

Isn’t that what you want out of your GM though? To be sure that the player he’s taking is better than the other ones he is considering?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:33 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Isn’t that what you want out of your GM though? To be sure that the player he’s taking is better than the other ones he is considering?
There would be no trades if that was how it worked though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 am 

I prefer not to think about this

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:31 pm 

Nas wrote:
I'm not sure the Bowie analogy works. Portland already had a great wing, and the league was still tailored to big men. Bowie was a great athletic big. He just had Walton feet. In hindsight, Houston takes Jordan #1. In retrospect, the Browns should have taken Mahomes #1. If Fields becomes a pro bowl player, but a quarterback in this draft becomes a HoF player, can you blame the Bears for not taking him? That's what we do with Jordan v Bowie.

Good point, I didn't think about that. I mean unless you knew the future you can't say the Blazers made a mistake. You can say they were unlucky. I think we have to acknowledge luck/fortune as a factor here - it's not an exact science.

Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles once conducted an analysis of the success rate for first-round picks, defining success as drafting a player who became a full-time starter for at least two of his first four seasons, and determined there was about a 50-50 chance of hitting on a player no matter where in the first round he was taken. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/spor ... draft.html

Drafts are a weird mixture of scouting and luck. I can't "blame" the Jets for taking what 95% of scouts/experts/etc said was the next best prospect on the board.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The mistake wasn't drafting (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. QBs in the draft largely are crapshoots. Some work out and some don't. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but the act of taking him wasn't the problem.

Trading up for Mitch coupled with hanging on to him too long was the problem.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Pace tended to fall in love with guys, it seemed the other GM's knew this and knew they would count on good ole' Ryan to hand over a draft pick or two to go fetch some guy he had way too high on his board because he felt was smarter than the rest of the GM's, he tended to value one year wonder guys that put up good combine numbers over guys that had played at a high level in college.

Remember watching a pre season game in Mahomes rookie year where he came in late in the second half, his arm talent jumped off the screen, was making throws far superior to anything Mitch could do, you could easily see he was a far superior prospect, but the Mitch pick looks relatively solid when you compare it to White (one year wonder/combine guy) over Cooper.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:34 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Pace tended to fall in love with guys, it seemed the other GM's knew this and knew they would count on good ole' Ryan to hand over a draft pick or two to go fetch some guy he had way too high on his board because he felt was smarter than the rest of the GM's, he tended to value one year wonder guys that put up good combine numbers over guys that had played at a high level in college.

Remember watching a pre season game in Mahomes rookie year where he came in late in the second half, his arm talent jumped off the screen, was making throws far superior to anything Mitch could do, you could easily see he was a far superior prospect, but the Mitch pick looks relatively solid when you compare it to White (one year wonder/combine guy) over Cooper.

Amari Cooper was taking three spots (#4 overall) ahead of Kevin White (#7 overall).