It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
The best afternoon drive show in Chicago, ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
KDdidit wrote:

Is Speigs calling in sick because Tributosaurus is providing entertainment.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Harvard Dan wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Is Speigs calling in sick because Tributosaurus is providing entertainment.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Caller Bob wrote:

I'll take the HFC every day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 am 

how small is the HOB?

is there really that much interest in a sports show that's been gone for a decade?

$25...better be an open bar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
how small is the HOB?

is there really that much interest in a sports show that's been gone for a decade?

Like a true MJH event, you will be able to take Heineken from somebody's cooler.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:13 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
how small is the HOB?

Like a true MJH event, you will be able to take Heineken's from somebody's cooler.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
If this celebration also includes a Salisbury and Rosenbloom reunion, then I'm definitely in!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:30 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
how small is the HOB?

Like a true MJH event, you will be able to take Heineken from somebody's cooler.

Heineken? Fuck that shit! Fat Tire!

you are mixing your incidents

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
how small is the HOB?

Heineken? Fuck that shit! Fat Tire!

you are mixing your incidents

Mixing up his shows with Mac, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yep.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
good dolphin wrote:
how small is the HOB?

I guess it's mostly a 25th anniversary show with the special guest MJH reunion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Fred said Danny Zederman personally invited him saying he was a big part of the station. But Fred talking about the Score's recent anniversary party a lowly producer contacted him saying "if he wanted to come they'll try to make room for him". Fred was really offended Mitch Rosen didnt reach out to him. Needless to say he didn't go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yep.

Agree, the level of sports talk radio you got on a daily basis from the HFC will never be matched.

Cannot find Bears and NFL talk like that anymore, partially due to the fact that the teams do not make coaches available to entities that will ask difficult questions, but primarily due to the abilities of the hosts to sprinkle in the right amount of humor, all kinds of inside jokes that you only understood if you listened regularly.

Find if funny that Haugh, Mully, Bernstein, and Holmes all were punching bags for the HFC back in the day, frequently belittled on air by far superior talents, wonder if that is why there is so much hatred for the old hosts from the guys filling the spots today, especially Bernstein and Holmes who were regularly mocked by North and Mac while working as reporters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Clawmaster wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yep.

Agree, the level of sports talk radio you got on a daily basis from the HFC will never be matched.

Cannot find Bears and NFL talk like that anymore, partially due to the fact that the teams do not make coaches available to entities that will ask difficult questions, but primarily due to the abilities of the hosts to sprinkle in the right amount of humor, all kinds of inside jokes that you only understood if you listened regularly.

Find if funny that Haugh, Mully, Bernstein, and Holmes all were punching bags for the HFC back in the day, frequently belittled on air by far superior talents, wonder if that is why there is so much hatred for the old hosts from the guys filling the spots today, especially Bernstein and Holmes who were regularly mocked by North and Mac while working as reporters.

Yep. I remember it well. They healed the sick, fed the starving, housed the poor, drove the snakes out of Chicago, and art and commerce flourished!

It's entirely possible that sports talk radio was better in the 90's, but the "golden era" of WSCR is a tired topic around here. We can do better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:55 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yep.

Yep. I remember it well. They healed the sick, fed the starving, housed the poor, drove the snakes out of Chicago, and art and commerce flourished!

It's entirely possible that sports talk radio was better in the 90's, but the "golden era" of WSCR is a tired topic around here. We can do better.

Not really, someone will eventually realize they have to move away from the failed "smart fans" BS and adopt a more entertaining and energic format, it's used other places in the US, and leads to much higher ratings, do not see sports talk radio scuffling around in 20th place in Philly, Boston, or NYC.

Always find it odd that folks like yourself just settle for piss poor content from the Chicago sports media?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 pm 

:lol: I dont think I have ever seen Warren get irritated around here before.

Nice to see

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Nothing will beat the absolute hatred Harry had for Mac, it might have been a bit, but I think alot of it was real.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Great radio tension when Hub visited Mac to talk Bears. Mac commenting "that one really caught us by surprise". Then Hub "No, no I saw it coming, but never talked about it". Then Mac would give a sigh of disgust (not to be confused with Spiegel's I'm offended sigh).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:25 pm 

I still have a clip of MJH taking out Sean Salisbury for his rant about Chicago sports, around the NFC championship early 2007.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:42 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

^^^ This without a second thought.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
HFC is likely going to be the best for those ages >40

MJH is likely going to be the best for those ages 40 > 30

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Claw, I'm not objecting to your tastes in radio. What I'm objecting to (and I recognize you're not the only person posting these things on this site) is the wringing of hands and rending of garments over a show that has been off the air for circa 25 years. We live in a period of time where we're spoiled for content. You're really only limited by your imagination. If you don't like the Score, find something you like, it's all at your fingertips.

Also, I read your posts. You have other interests and some interesting takes. I'd much rather read about those, than some long dead sports radio show.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Warren Newson wrote:
Claw, I'm not objecting to your tastes in radio. What I'm objecting to (and I recognize you're not the only person posting these things on this site) is the wringing of hands and rending of garments over a show that has been off the air for circa 25 years. We live in a period of time where we're spoiled for content. You're really only limited by your imagination. If you don't like the Score, find something you like, it's all at your fingertips.

Also, I read your posts. You have other interests and some interesting takes. I'd much rather read about those, than some long dead sports radio show.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:

Fantastic obsolete metaphor. I'm going to rend a garment today.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:47 am 

It would seem this particular thread begs for nostalgia, I mean we are posting in the Dan McNeil Memorial Forum about a reunion for a show that once existed, so posts about Mac's previous endeavors seem appropriate here, and it's kind of what we do here, seems to be a market for it or we would not get a reunion event.

Do I miss the random oddness you got from the interaction between Mac and Terry, yes, in fact the first thing I thought when I read that Tim McCarver had passed was the, "Whatya think of that Tim McCarver" drop they would play and the "Or not" Jack Buck drop.

Was but a hapless youth when these guys were working together, but do not think I am wrong in thinking that the Mac and Terry pairing did some of the best sports talk radio in the stations history.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
HFC is likely going to be the best for those ages >40

MJH is likely going to be the best for those ages 40 > 30

I'm the anomalous old, MJH guy.

I've never been as enamored with Terry as everyone else

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I shouldn't be lumped in with the olds on the board.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:15 am 

Warren Newson wrote:

Most of that content is amateurs, who had the money to buy a microphone and lighting to podcast their thoughts from a basement because the family above wouldn't listen. There is a dearth of podcasters/broadcasters who entertain, even for the 1 hour a week they produce.

I consume things like Hoge and Jahns for some Bears insight and they have difficulty filling their hour with Bears news and a dash of entertainment. Those CHGO are universally painful products. Barstool is supposed to be the big dog in this medium and its near impossible to stick with their shows for more than fifteen minutes.