It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
veganfan21 wrote:
I actually have come around on Hood. I don't mind him and Kap. Holmes has at best AP High School level thoughts but he presents them as if they were deep philosophical insights into sports. Now that I think about it he's like a radio clawmaster.

Careful, your entire response is based on my takes, come to think of it almost all of your responses are based on my takes, your welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Clawmaster wrote:
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Still remember when J. Hood went off on Telander, used to be the writers would come on and look down at everyone because they considered themselves to be so much smarter than the hosts and listeners, Hoody delivered one of the best verbal beatdowns in WSCR history, funny how you never hear that re-played.

Several of the shows cited were efforts to pair guy with Ex-Bears, cut the common denominators are Larry and Bernstein, not sure what type of goods those guys have on station management, but they both have quite a graveyard of ex-partners.

The Goff and Bernstein show devolved into the hosts telling people to stop listening, bet that went over great with advertisers, and the Bernstein and McKnight pairing was a painful listen as McKnight kept trying to out SJW Bernstein, a brutal show, but McKnight seems to have found his niche talking to the half dozen or so people listening to Sox pre/post.

Holmes...well Larry and Hampton as a bad matchup as you have a guy that want to talk only football and hold players accountable paired with the ultimate jock sniffer, do have to say that the Gordon Beckham stuff was deliciously awkward, Larry would say something like, "hey Gordon, you are 0 for 20 over the past week, what are you working in the batting cage", and Hamp would sit silently only joining the conversation to say hello and goodbye.

He also destroyed his career with that decision. He went from prime time to being essentially blackballed for 15 years. He was absolutely right; however, it would have been better for his career to bite his tongue. Anyone with ears knew Telander sucked. Hood was better than everyone except prime Bernstein. Being a big 6'4" black guy, who isn't always lovable, scared the powers that be.

Will always respect him for calling out Telander, was out for a run that afternoon and almost had to stop because I was surprised that he was so honest.

Still enjoy him busting Kap for his wind socking on all things, one of the few guys that will give you honest takes.

He's the only reason Kap is now tolerable after the umpteen years he wasn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:53 am 

Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Still remember when J. Hood went off on Telander, used to be the writers would come on and look down at everyone because they considered themselves to be so much smarter than the hosts and listeners, Hoody delivered one of the best verbal beatdowns in WSCR history, funny how you never hear that re-played.

Several of the shows cited were efforts to pair guy with Ex-Bears, cut the common denominators are Larry and Bernstein, not sure what type of goods those guys have on station management, but they both have quite a graveyard of ex-partners.

The Goff and Bernstein show devolved into the hosts telling people to stop listening, bet that went over great with advertisers, and the Bernstein and McKnight pairing was a painful listen as McKnight kept trying to out SJW Bernstein, a brutal show, but McKnight seems to have found his niche talking to the half dozen or so people listening to Sox pre/post.

Holmes...well Larry and Hampton as a bad matchup as you have a guy that want to talk only football and hold players accountable paired with the ultimate jock sniffer, do have to say that the Gordon Beckham stuff was deliciously awkward, Larry would say something like, "hey Gordon, you are 0 for 20 over the past week, what are you working in the batting cage", and Hamp would sit silently only joining the conversation to say hello and goodbye.

He also destroyed his career with that decision. He went from prime time to being essentially blackballed for 15 years. He was absolutely right; however, it would have been better for his career to bite his tongue. Anyone with ears knew Telander sucked. Hood was better than everyone except prime Bernstein. Being a big 6'4" black guy, who isn't always lovable, scared the powers that be.

I think Hood and Bernstein would be a great pairing if they gave each job security and told them to just go at it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:05 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

I think Hood and Bernstein would be a great pairing if they gave each job security and told them to just go at it.

Bernstein hasn't been entertaining in almost 15 years. Listening to him and Holmes manufacturer outrage and lecture is terrible radio. I would have enjoyed the pairing of Hood and Bernstein 20 years ago.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think hood should have always stayed at WSCR. Could have prevented a lot of bad pairings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
pittmike wrote:
I think hood should have always stayed at WSCR. Could have prevented a lot of bad pairings.

He was demoted to the basement of the station and not retained.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

He was demoted to the basement of the station and not retained.

I worded that poorly. The station should have had better foresight to retain and use him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:07 pm 

Enjoy J. Hood busting Kap, but the culture at WSCR is paper soft, a guy like Parkins would likely trot down to HR to complain if he was belittled by Hood.

The type of entertaining cross talk disagreements that were a staple of the station are non-existent today, think Mully even refused to do cross talk for a while, he would have been laughed out of the building back in the day.

These types of discussion expose guys that really do not know much about the sport they are talking about, much easier to spin yarns about the evil Tony LaRussa than recognize the inability of the White Sox players to catch the baseball or play team oriented baseball.

Seems J. Hood tries to hold people accountable, and that is not done on WSCR when it comes to Bears or Cubs management.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hoodie is his own man and probably one of my favorite all time Chicago sports radio guys....

I don't think he could mesh with the WSCR culture of 1 extreme left crazy guy in Bernsie, 2 guys who are creepy as can be in Holmes an Spiegs an also Spiegs would go behind anyone's back if it benefited him an then act like a moral compass.

I like Parkins at the beginning, but he has turned predictable and know it all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Yes, there have been bad shows, but creating "The Rick Telander Show" is #1 on my list of bad mistakes. Jay Mariotti was #2. David Haugh #3. Haugh is #3 only because he doesn't have his own show, but may God we could add Mulligan to this list, as well.

Just because someone is a skilled newspaper journalist, does not mean that translates to entertaining Radio personality.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I enjoyed Dan Hampton on The Score. He was the de facto cream-of-the-class, if you will.

Hamp and Holmes would be on the Mt. Rushmore for worst show in the history of WSCR with The Bull and The Bear, The Mike North Morning Show and Bernstein and Goff would also be contenders.

Yeah, the Bull and the Bear was problematic because neither one was suited to lead the show and it felt rudderless.

Doug showing up at 3:30 AM to prepare for a 5:30 start, and Norm rolling in at 5:28AM.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Who was that guy Norm was paired with, Lance McAlister? Wasn’t his thing like he had a Pete Rose baseball card in his wallet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Who was that guy Norm was paired with, Lance McAlister? Wasn’t his thing like he had a Pete Rose baseball card in his wallet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:02 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Nicklin3011 wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I enjoyed Dan Hampton on The Score. He was the de facto cream-of-the-class, if you will.

Another dumbass take from the maga boomer asshat. You'd think you stop posting after I own you so much

MAGA Boomer Asshat is the perfect nickname for CB. Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:

That was an old pairing from the first attempt at WMVP. Good memory. As I recall from a documentary, McAlister was trying to do Thinking Fan's Sports Radio in 1995, but it was WMVP 1.0 and no one was listening, and also he was with Norm Van Lier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 pm 

I have a really strange memory of listening to norm and mcallister during a week in the winter when we had a bunch of snow and college classes were cancelled. And mcallister used to give out some video game cheat codes. It was such an odd pairing. Not even sure how I ended up listening to them as I was normally a SCORE guy.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:02 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Yes, there have been bad shows, but creating "The Rick Telander Show" is #1 on my list of bad mistakes. Jay Mariotti was #2. David Haugh #3. Haugh is #3 only because he doesn't have his own show, but may God we could add Mulligan to this list, as well.

Just because someone is a skilled newspaper journalist, does not mean that translates to entertaining Radio personality.

Seemed logical to pursue the writers, they had name recognition and supposedly knew more than the fans, but guys like J. Hood exposed them as out of touch frauds. Seems the Nagy era was the last gasp of the traditional media approach to team coverage, with fawing local writers and sports yakkers giving you fawing coverage of the genius Matt Nagy, of course these people were at training camp and saw the grab ass atmosphere where the QB struggled, but the media refused to tell you the truth. There was of course a trickle of honesty coming through on pods, but that trickle has become a torrent now and you get more factual coverage from a guy doing a podcast from his basement than the traditional "Bears Media".

This was the case for decades with the sports writers, guys like J. Hood knew this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:05 am 

Hood is conversant in every sport and retains everything about the local. Telander's background was in long form writing about topics of more general interest. I loved his work at SI. He just wasn't adept at talking about yesterday's game and Hood gave him no quarter.

They did Hood rotten. He had worked at that station for a long while building up a following. He finally got his shot with a day part show. It was doing well. Then, I think after one ratings book, they brought in Telander and put his name on the marquee. It was an insult, not by Telander but by management. Hood took it out on Telander (who was terrible in this medium). What Hood didn't calculate was that Telander was a direct hire by management, so, he was making enemies in high places by tanking Telander. It's like what the old proverb about digging two graves before going out to seek revenge. He's never recovered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Had five minutes free in my work day so I thought I’d catch up quickly on sports. Pretty sure Danny said the word “obviously” three times in the same sentence. This guy has actually gotten worse as a talker from when he first started. Seems like he can do whatever the fuck he wants and he has no interest in becoming a better broadcaster. He’s a brutal listen. Also anyone claiming to be a part of “the mob” should go hang thrmselves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Hood is conversant in every sport and retains everything about the local. Telander's background was in long form writing about topics of more general interest. I loved his work at SI. He just wasn't adept at talking about yesterday's game and Hood gave him no quarter.

They did Hood rotten. He had worked at that station for a long while building up a following. He finally got his shot with a day part show. It was doing well. Then, I think after one ratings book, they brought in Telander and put his name on the marquee. It was an insult, not by Telander but by management. Hood took it out on Telander (who was terrible in this medium). What Hood didn't calculate was that Telander was a direct hire by management, so, he was making enemies in high places by tanking Telander. It's like what the old proverb about digging two graves before going out to seek revenge. He's never recovered.

Morning show in a major market is a full recovery I think.

He's the guy to blame for ascendance of Laurence Holmes though, which the listeners may never recover from.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: State Line
I also remember Hood going the fuck off on management on the air when the Score cancelled his "Wrestlemaniacs" show back in the day because of declining interest in WWF/E.

McAllister was possibly the most awkward fit on a station that had Steve Dahl doing a sports show and Grobber on in MIDDAY. Think about that. After that version of WMVP sank, I think he eventually wound up in Cincy where he was much better suited being from that area