It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Whether you like him or not, there is no chance Danny Parkins is still on Chicago radio in a year. His book has blown up, his national appearances and circle of friends like Nick Wright, etc..... and Colin Cowherd is a huge fan of him.

Parkins is a great radio personality, has a great voice, well informed, he fits today modern radio.

If he is not in New York or L.A. this time next year something went wrong. Agree, disagree?

If agree, who replaces him? Recycle Chicago Am talent or bring in outside as was the case with Parkins before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:45 am 

Who knows? I agree that Parkins is good but the overwhelming majority of the national sports talkers are terrible and couldn't cut it on a local show. Sarah Spain is a good example.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Doesn't prime-time Chicago sports talk radio pay more than typical national sports talk radio jobs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Parkins read a book?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Jason Goff, if he’ll have them.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
lgtbq minority female, so will sound about the same as parkins does

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
cookie23 wrote:
Whether you like him or not, there is no chance Danny Parkins is still on Chicago radio in a year. His book has blown up, his national appearances and circle of friends like Nick Wright, etc..... and Colin Cowherd is a huge fan of him.

Parkins is a great radio personality, has a great voice, well informed, he fits today modern radio.

If he is not in New York or L.A. this time next year something went wrong. Agree, disagree?

If agree, who replaces him? Recycle Chicago Am talent or bring in outside as was the case with Parkins before.

It's always New York with you. Find an Opie and Anthony aircheck, jerk yourself off with a folded slice of pizza, and get it over with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Probably some trans guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am 

Maya Gavin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Douchebag wrote:
Maya Gavin

A blast from the past.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 am 

No chance?

I say he will still be doing afternoons next year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
we're not that lucky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 am 

Evan Roberts is the same person as Danny Parkins: a childhood sports radio nerd who worked to be the perfect lab-created sports radio host and clawed his way to his hometown station. He already does afternoons in New York.

I don't understand why cookie23 is so insistent that Chicago is a stepping-stone market akin to Indianapolis or Cincinnati or Kansas City. Chicago means you've made it, especially in radio, which is damn near an afterthought in Los Angeles. If Chicago is just a place to bide your time until you can work on the coasts, why does everyone retire from channel 7 having been there for like 30 years?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
blackhawksfan wrote:
Probably some trans guy.

Douchebag wrote:
Maya Gavin

Perfect juxtaposition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
cookie23 wrote:
His book has blown up

Has it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
@DannyParkinsWroteABook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't understand why cookie23 is so insistent that Chicago is a stepping-stone market akin to Indianapolis or Cincinnati or Kansas City. Chicago means you've made it

:lol: :lol:

For a number of people, Chicago is great. But you’ve made it if you’re in NYC or LA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't understand why cookie23 is so insistent that Chicago is a stepping-stone market akin to Indianapolis or Cincinnati or Kansas City. Chicago means you've made it

For a number of people, Chicago is great. But you’ve made it if you’re in NYC or LA.

This doesn't apply to Parkins, but if you're a coast jockey, Chicago will always be flyover country. Even though Philadelphia or Boston is a smaller market than Chicago, I can see someone who is from that Northeast Amtrak corridor wanting to go back to one of those places just to be out of the Midwest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Warren Newson wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This doesn't apply to Parkins, but if you're a coast jockey, Chicago will always be flyover country. Even though Philadelphia or Boston is a smaller market than Chicago, I can see someone who is from that Northeast Amtrak corridor wanting to go back to one of those places just to be out of the Midwest.

Agreed. MANY on this board dismiss the satisfaction that comes from just being happy. Parkins is making good money in the market he dreamed about. The same has always applied to Bernstein.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:15 pm 

When it comes to entertainment and sports National radio.....NYC and LA is where those opportunities exist.

For most people, being in Chicago( a big midwestern market) is amazing.

For the best of the best, NYC or L.A. is it and has always been it.

No reason to get butthurt, Chi is a great place to live if you don't mind the cold and a much cheaper COL compared to the coasts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Parkins Value Over Replacement Broadcaster in my opinion is not far above 1.0.
That being said, I've grown to like the guy a bit. He's kind of like that hapless nephew you got who shocked himself changing a light bulb. It's somewhat endearing. I've recently had a bit of a change in careers and I'm spending a lot less time listening to the shows. That's made .y enjoyment much higher. For example alls I caught of today's show was the Hunter controversy and I was really enjoying that segment. When it was over I was bummed the show was over for a second. That's gotta mean something.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:09 pm 

I don’t understand the coastal thing unless it’s a lead-in to TV jobs.

Maybe he aspires to be a less telegenic Mike Greenberg. Maybe there’s a case to transition to podcasting and having access to more guests on the coasts makes sense. But national sports AM radio host? That’s real estate for paste eating enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I don’t understand the coastal thing unless it’s a lead-in to TV jobs.

Maybe he aspires to be a less telegenic Mike Greenberg. Maybe there’s a case to transition to podcasting and having access to more guests on the coasts makes sense. But national sports AM radio host? That’s real estate for paste eating enthusiasts.

Most likely TV job....he is young, just as talented, he has worked his but off through his brothers passing, he has an extremely hard work ethic.

He is a special talent and a reason why he is without a doubt the most talented Chicago sports guy on either channels.

Could see him and Nick Wright working together.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Too goofy looking for TV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:59 pm 

What makes Parkins exceptionally talented? I don't find him particularly funny, inquisitive, or relatable. Senor, for all his faults, was all three of those at one time. But Parkins? What's the difference between him and Ben Finfer, other than one got fired while he was on the air?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
What makes Parkins exceptionally talented? I don't find him particularly funny, inquisitive, or relatable. Senor, for all his faults, was all three of those at one time. But Parkins? What's the difference between him and Ben Finfer, other than one got fired while he was on the air?

If the comp is Nick Wright, it all makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
When was senior relatable? Does he know about fonts? Senor was never ever relatable.

Parkins is was awful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 am 

Spaulding wrote:
When was senior relatable? Does he know about fonts? Senor was never ever relatable.

Parkins is was awful.

or funny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Warren Newson wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This doesn't apply to Parkins, but if you're a coast jockey, Chicago will always be flyover country.

I think "flyover" is harsh. I remember interning for NBC Sports Chicago 10 or so years ago and on the first day we toured the studios/office. One of the producers was cutting up some David Kaplan video and asked us, "Have you guys run into Kap yet? We call him the Ryan Seacrest of Chicago." We all laughed for a number of reasons.

It's simple though. As far as news/entertainment/television goes -- Los Angeles and NYC are cultural heavyweights. There's much more opportunity. This opportunity presents that opportunity and then you meet this person, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:

In terms of radio skillset, yes he and Larry are comparable. Both are good at it.

Now....entertaining and interesting / charismatic host? That's where Larry gets buried. Parkins is average at best in that department, but we've seen that bar lower since Penn State. None of the Chicago sports talkers are particularly interesting or entertaining. They don't even try to be.

I don't see Parkins going anywhere.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.