It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:50 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Librarian wrote:
Talk about burying the lede! Feel like I'm channeling Beardown here but wonder if Spiegs is jealous for a guy parachuting in and getting a job he has always wanted (yes.)

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/matt-sp ... e-sox.html

Professional jealousy might be a little of it, but why would Matt Spiegel think Jerry Reinsdorf would want a sappy Cubs/Boston fan to do Sox games? I think it's two things: Schriffen just honestly not being very good at calling Sox baseball and baseball in general (mispronouncing Bill Veeck, calling a field manager a head coach), but especially the fact that he's replacing Jason Benetti, who was seen as One Of Us by the Twitter-addled media class in a way that Schriffen is not.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: The Forum
I can see Spiegel being jealous, since the previous guy got paid for shoveling food into his mouth and then talking into a microphone. This is a skill Spiegel possesses.

Or maybe it's the Nationwide song.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Have speegs do zz next

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
[ but especially the fact that he's replacing Jason Benetti, who was seen as One Of Us by the Twitter-addled media class in a way that Schriffen is not.

ya think?

you never hear them pound the sterile broadcast of Boog but that isn't surprising at WCUB

I think Spiegs is full of jealousy (insert obvious joke). He said something last week about Parkins neglecting his family, even as he sits there in his third marriage.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Librarian wrote:
Talk about burying the lede! Feel like I'm channeling Beardown here but wonder if Spiegs is jealous for a guy parachuting in and getting a job he has always wanted (yes.)

Professional jealousy might be a little of it, but why would Matt Spiegel think Jerry Reinsdorf would want a sappy Cubs/Boston fan to do Sox games? I think it's two things: Schriffen just honestly not being very good at calling Sox baseball and baseball in general (mispronouncing Bill Veeck, calling a field manager a head coach), but especially the fact that he's replacing Jason Benetti, who was seen as One Of Us by the Twitter-addled media class in a way that Schriffen is not.

I wonder if Schiffren knows who Zoilo Versalles is.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Once again, JORR had his finger on the pulse of the passing scene years ago with his litmus test on baseball fandom.

Very few pass.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Once again, JORR had his finger on the pulse of the passing scene years ago with his litmus test on baseball fandom. Very few pass.

Rumor is those that do pass get a Lerrin LaGrow bobblehead. Is this true?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Once again, JORR had his finger on the pulse of the passing scene years ago with his litmus test on baseball fandom.

Very few pass.

Matt Spiegel wrote:
Give a crap and do some research once you get the job.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Librarian wrote:

Schriffen is an easy target because he's so over the top on his enthusiasm of a team that is on pace to lose well over 100 games. It comes across as phony, but I think this guy is just trying too hard to find his place.

Saying that, it's very petty for Bernstein, Holmes, Spiegal and Parkins to be focused this much on a PBP announcer for a team that they say is irrelevant. You could also argue it's not only petty, but pretty phony of these guys to be so thin skinned/sensitive about "losing" Benetti to then turn their attacks on the new guy. I thought Bernstein/Holmes don't even pay attention to the White Sox, but yet have such strong opinions on the PBP guy.

Didn't Benetti leave on his own? That's what Stone said. If that's true, stop whining.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:30 pm 

you have to be intentional to watch enough Sox baseball to even notice the announcers

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yes the Sox suck. The PBP guy might also suck. That said, there has to be some score directive making them have to shit on anything Sox. From Reinsdorf to stadium to LaRussa to broadcasting they trash them mercilessly.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

BD wrote:
Didn't Benetti leave on his own?

It's rumored that he left because someone (Boyer?) mocked his disability.

Anyway, it's not like he was some beloved voice of the Sox like Elson, Caray, or Hawk. I don't know anyone that really liked Benetti as an announcer.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't think it was his disability. I think this article sums it up.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2023/11/16 ... to-nowhere

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:42 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
pittmike wrote:
Yes the Sox suck. The PBP guy might also suck. That said, there has to be some score directive making them have to shit on anything Sox. From Reinsdorf to stadium to LaRussa to broadcasting they trash them mercilessly.

The Sox deserve it. So do the Bulls. The Reinsdorfs are a self-parody at this point.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The Sox deserve it. So do the Bulls. The Reinsdorfs are a self-parody at this point.

Yes, I started my post with as much. Seems to me a greater intensity the last couple years. Reinsdorf gets less abuse regarding the Bulls than Sox and LaRussa.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yes, I started my post with as much. Seems to me a greater intensity the last couple years. Reinsdorf gets less abuse regarding the Bulls than Sox and LaRussa.

It's definitely greater intensity. They hate TLR because of views and that has colored the station's views on the White Sox. People like Bernstein, but others, judge everything through their political/social takes.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:

It's definitely greater intensity. They hate TLR because of views and that has colored the station's views on the White Sox. People like Bernstein, but others, judge everything through their political/social takes.

What do you think should be praised about the Sox or Bulls?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Seems to me a greater intensity the last couple years.

It's definitely greater intensity.
It absolutely is. You didn't hear these kind of stories or discontent with Ricky Renteria was running the club. And a lot of the guys who have trashed the Sox since they left were playing here under Ricky, TLR, and even a few with Grifol.

The best manager the Sox had during this 'rebuild' was Renteria. The young guys developed under him. Other than Robert, nobody else improved under the last two managers. Ricky wasn't winning a World Series and dug his own grave at the end of 2020, but the fact is that the Sox have not upgraded from him.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

The attacks are more intense than they were a couple years ago because, in part, the team is far worse--and defiantly so.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't know anyone that really liked Benetti as an announcer.

Parkins was probably the worst cheerleader, saying Benetti was the best person at his job of anyone (player, coach, executive, media, etc.) related to Chicago sports.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Benetti has an extremely short shelf life. I like him well enough for shitty college football games. An everyday listen becomes intolerable and compels the listener to carry around a shovel, just in case.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Frank Coztansa wrote:
BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:

It absolutely is. You didn't hear these kind of stories or discontent with Ricky Renteria was running the club. And a lot of the guys who have trashed the Sox since they left were playing here under Ricky, TLR, and even a few with Grifol.

The best manager the Sox had during this 'rebuild' was Renteria. The young guys developed under him. Other than Robert, nobody else improved under the last two managers. Ricky wasn't winning a World Series and dug his own grave at the end of 2020, but the fact is that the Sox have not upgraded from him.

I haven't stopped to think about this until now, but I think you're right. I would go one step further and say he was the best since Ozzie.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:20 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Benetti has an extremely short shelf life. I like him well enough for shitty college football games. An everyday listen becomes intolerable and compels the listener to carry around a shovel, just in case.

His personality sucks. When he's just playing announcer out of central casting, he's fine. When he's comfortable enough to show his personality, he becomes intolerable.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Warren Newson wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I haven't stopped to think about this until now, but I think you're right. I would go one step further and say he was the best since Ozzie.
Too bad Ozzie isn’t available.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:26 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Ozzie circa 2005 isn't available. His time in Miami tells me he might be closer to TLR than his old self.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Ozzie circa 2005 isn't available. His time in Miami tells me he might be closer to TLR than his old self.
The time to bring in Ozzie was right around Memorial Day 2022. He definitely would have a short shelf life, but I think he gets that 2022 club the five extra wins they would have needed to make the postseason.

Looking back, there is an argument to made that Robin Ventura may have been slightly better than TLR. Ventura never lost the lockerroom. The teams Robin had were often bad, but they played hard and never mailed it in. You cannot honestly say the same for 2022 LaRussa or Grifol.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
BD wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Which means that they'd fit right in with this bunch.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The time to bring in Ozzie was right around Memorial Day 2022. He definitely would have a short shelf life, but I think he gets that 2022 club the five extra wins they would have needed to make the postseason.

Looking back, there is an argument to made that Robin Ventura may have been slightly better than TLR. Ventura never lost the lockerroom. The teams Robin had were often bad, but they played hard and never mailed it in. You cannot honestly say the same for 2022 LaRussa or Grifol.

For fuck sake, get a grip. He sucked. He locked himself in the manager's office and only unlocked it to roll the balls out and fill the bat rack.

Just about every baseball fan in the country deserves a better manager. It's ALL a conglomeration of suck.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:

For fuck sake, get a grip. He sucked. He locked himself in the manager's office and only unlocked it to roll the balls out and fill the bat rack.
Agree. Its not the only reason, but definitely contributed as to why the Sox missed the playoffs in 2022.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 am 

BD wrote:
People like Bernstein, but others, judge everything through their political/social takes.

Yup