It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't Jinx the Hawks!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Mac, no mention of the MEANINGLESS President's Trophy!!!!!!! 8)

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:

Bob I'll go you one better and say Mac, no more mention of the Hawks at all!!!! Mac isn't worthy of speaking about them. Let him stick to talking about his daily bowel movement and how much he lost the night before betting on Sun Belt football.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Any Hawks mentions are good for the Sport.

Not even sure what the Presidents Trophy is.

Best record? Most Points?

Yes, I WIKIED IT.

Presidents Trophy seems pretty foolish. It's good to have the most points Obviousely, but to have the most points and get bumped in round 1 of the playoffs(if that ever happened), really makes that Trophy seem a bit premature?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Bob is having nightmare visions of the 1991 Blackhawks and the North Stars....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
bigfan wrote:

Presidents Trophy seems pretty foolish. It's good to have the most points Obviousely, but to have the most points and get bumped in round 1 of the playoffs(if that ever happened)

Happens a lot (considering the trophy has only been around since the '80's), including in the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs where the 8 seed Ducks knocked off the #1 seed and 2008-2009 President's Cup winning Sharks in the first round.

All things considered, best bet is to be the 1 seed and President's Trophy winner (won 7 out of 23 Stanley Cups in the President's Trophy era).

Last edited by NearWessSideHussra on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
And first-round upsets of the 1 and 2 seeds in each conference are almost the rule rather than the exception in the NHL playoffs. In only 3 seasons out of (now) 15 have their not been 1st round upsets of the 4 highest seeds (1 and 2 of each conference). Probably says more about the relative lack of meaningfulness of home ice advantage in the NHL vs home court in the NBA and other sports as well as the importance of goal-tending and having a hot goal-tender come playoff time.

Haven't dug into the numbers, but I'd guess that of the 21 1st round series (of 60 in the 15 years of the current playoff system) that have been won by 7 or 8 seeds against 1 or 2 seeds, the majority of those 21 are 2 seeds who lose to 7 seeds in the 1st round:

"Like the tax deadline, one thing you can count on in April is a big first-round upset in the N.H.L. playoffs.

There’s always at least one, it seems, and lower-seeded clubs like the Rangers and the Montreal Canadiens can take heart that as mediocre as they were during the regular season, they have a good chance of pulling off a shocker.

In fact, first-round upsets are so common that the term shocker isn’t really appropriate.

“I know it’s a cliché, but it’s a whole new season,” Markus Naslund said after the Rangers finally clinched a playoff spot on Thursday. “We don’t feel there’s a team that we can’t beat.”

He has good reason to feel that way. Since the current playoff format was adopted 14 seasons ago, there have been 56 series matching the No. 1 team in a conference against the No. 8 team, and No. 2 versus No. 7.

Of those 56 series, 20 have ended in victory for the underdog.

In 1997, three of four lower seeds won. In six other years, the underdogs knocked off the No. 1 or 2 in half of the opening-round series."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
shakes wrote:
Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:

Bob I'll go you one better and say Mac, no more mention of the Hawks at all!!!! Mac isn't worthy of speaking about them. Let him stick to talking about his daily bowel movement and how much he lost the night before betting on Sun Belt football.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm increasingly wishing for less hockey talk from all sports talk shows in this city... Jurko always knew his shit, but I just can't listen to that crap anymore...

Side note: did anyone else cringe when Mac said that the hawks were running away with the division last week? I love you Mac, but all of the other teams have been playing very well the last few weeks especially Columbus and Nashville... even though the hawks had won 8 straight, they only have a 5 point lead I think... so by no means are they running away with the division...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:13 pm 

Jalapenos and More wrote:
Bob is having nightmare visions of the 1991 Blackhawks and the North Stars....

WORSE.....I was sitting in Joe Louis Arena last night watching the injury riddled Red Wings shut out for the second straight home game....I get this warm feeling that the Hawks are now what the Wings were for the last 15 years....and then REALITY HITS.....It is only November....AND...OH OH....What if Wings struggle back to health by April and have the #8 seed in the Playoffs while the HAWK enters with the #1 seed!!!!!!!

The Hawks are so damned scary good lately...

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm 

It was a JOKE, my dear cross check. A couple times last week I said something to that effect in context of how bad the Bears are and that the Hawks are the only team that matters.... etc., etc. Wondering if you heard Eddie O's response to our debate here on Duncan Keith. Podcastable, I do believe.

Any chance of sticking the knife in the Bears, while being a Hawks enthusiast at the same time, is a joyful moment for me. More of that coming this week too because the Bears just.... well... they are who I thought they were. And when everybody was calling me Chicken LIttle after the Packers loss opening night, I invite anybody to go listen to the aircheck when I said it wasn't about ONE GAME... but a cumulative Angelo-Smith-Turner issue. Now everybody is saying that.

But back to the Hawks..... GREAT DEBUT FOR HOSSA ON HELL WEDNESDAY. Tough couple on Fri.afternooon and Saturday, but the goaltending is way better than we anticipated just a few games in and..... HOSSA. HE WAS A HOSSA! (Tony Montana).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:45 am 

Mac wrote:
It was a JOKE, my dear cross check. A couple times last week I said something to that effect in context of how bad the Bears are and that the Hawks are the only team that matters.... etc., etc. Wondering if you heard Eddie O's response to our debate here on Duncan Keith. Podcastable, I do believe.

Any chance of sticking the knife in the Bears, while being a Hawks enthusiast at the same time, is a joyful moment for me. More of that coming this week too because the Bears just.... well... they are who I thought they were. And when everybody was calling me Chicken LIttle after the Packers loss opening night, I invite anybody to go listen to the aircheck when I said it wasn't about ONE GAME... but a cumulative Angelo-Smith-Turner issue. Now everybody is saying that.

But back to the Hawks..... GREAT DEBUT FOR HOSSA ON HELL WEDNESDAY. Tough couple on Fri.afternooon and Saturday, but the goaltending is way better than we anticipated just a few games in and..... HOSSA. HE WAS A HOSSA! (Tony Montana).

I believe you wrote a Sun Times column before the season ripping the Bears offensive line to shreds.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Mac wrote:

my bad, I have a tough time catching a lot of the show due to school in the morning... I'll check out the eddie o podcast, what day was it on?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
crosscheck wrote:
Mac wrote:

my bad, I have a tough time catching a lot of the show due to school in the morning... I'll check out the eddie o podcast, what day was it on?

The only person I want to hear less than Mac is that know nothing kiss ass blowhard Eddie No-Check. Did you ask him if he still thinks shots that hit the post count as SOGs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:38 am 

I love that song. By Richard Marx, right?........... Don't the jinx the Hawks, the mighty BlaaackHawks....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:41 am 

scorehead # 84 wrote:
I love that song. By Richard Marx, right?........... Don't the jinx the Hawks, the mighty BlaaackHawks....

I believe that was written by Hockey-Loving and Canadian Bryan Adams.