It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big 10 Expansion Talk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:00 pm 

Some pretty good discussion by the boys.

But they might want to do their homework a little on this.

They stated that Texas would not leave the Big 12. They might want to reconsider that. The Big Ten Network TV contract provides roughly $200 million/year to be split among the conference schools, while the Big 12's TV contact with FSN only pays around $70 million/year. You don't think that would be appealing to Texas?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Does anyone really care to hear Teddy G opine on Big Ten expansion?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 pm 

I have a hard time believing that meatpants has a good feel whether Rutgers would bring anything from the NY market.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I have a hard time believing that meatpants has a good feel whether Rutgers would bring anything from the NY market.

He's 100% wrong.

I believe I saw an article that Rutgers football has recently been the highest rated game in NYC when they've been on national tv. From the sounds of it, Rutgers has been doing a great job of marketing itself to this market. The upgraded stadium helps too.

Penn State seems pretty big here too. Rutgers would also get a major boost by joining the Big Ten as people would find them to be much more nationally relevant.

Not to mention that it would open up the doors to having Big Ten games played at Madison Square Garden and you'd see basketball take off. They would probably need a new stadium though for the other games.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:47 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
Does anyone outside of Jersey give a shit about Rutgers?

No one outside of Pittsburgh cares about Pittsburgh.

Pennsylvania is dominated by Penn State and the eastern part of the state is far enough away that they probably have as many fans as Rutgers or other schools.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:48 pm 

IMO Mizzou makes way more sense than Pitt.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Exclamation Moint wrote:
]
No one outside of Pittsburgh cares about Pittsburgh.

I take an unhealthy interest each week to see if brilliant young coach Wanne is screwing up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:35 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I take an unhealthy interest each week to see if brilliant young coach Wanne is screwing up.

I tune in just to see how many times he will run his hand through his hair in order to display emotion. You can tell he's really mad when he does it multiple times in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I tune in just to see how many times he will run his hand through his hair in order to display emotion. You can tell he's really mad when he does it multiple times in a row.

If only Lovie could do that! Dammit, that's what is missing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:10 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
Pittsburgh makes the most sense. You've got a new rivalry game, then, with PSU. Does anyone outside of Jersey give a shit about Rutgers?

Nobody in Jersey gives a shit about Rutgers either..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
IMO Mizzou makes way more sense than Pitt.

From a regional standpoint, Missouri makes all the sense in the world if the Big Ten pondered expansion, RFDC. After all, Missouri & Illinois have been natural rivals in both football & basketball, and I can imagine Mizzou possibly creating future rivalries vs. Iowa & perhaps Minnesota as well. From what I've heard, Missouri isn't exactly thrilled with their current affiliation with the Big 12 and the whole Big Ten expansion is a 12-18 month process.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Pittsburgh is the biggest market, isn't it? Maybe Missouri, Kentucky...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
Jalapenos and More wrote:

Pittsburgh is the US's 23rd largest television market.

Kansas City is 32nd and St Louis is 21st.

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack ... by_dma.asp

So just in terms of expansion of audience, Mizzou is the better choice over Pitt. Neither one gives you much of a boost beyond thier own regions, like a Notre Dame or Texas would do.

The arguement for the Irish not joining the Big 10 is splitting the NBC television money - when is that contract up and does ND think they have a chance to renew at similar dollars? Does the management shift of NBC from GE to Comcast affect that? Those will be some factors that ND will need to consider. But I don't think the Big 10 will approach ND again. But if ND were to approach the Big 10 ..............

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
mel junior wrote:
Jalapenos and More wrote:

Pittsburgh is the US's 23rd largest television market.

Kansas City is 32nd and St Louis is 21st.

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack ... by_dma.asp

So just in terms of expansion of audience, Mizzou is the better choice over Pitt. Neither one gives you much of a boost beyond thier own regions, like a Notre Dame or Texas would do.

The arguement for the Irish not joining the Big 10 is splitting the NBC television money - when is that contract up and does ND think they have a chance to renew at similar dollars? Does the management shift of NBC from GE to Comcast affect that? Those will be some factors that ND will need to consider. But I don't think the Big 10 will approach ND again. But if ND were to approach the Big 10 ..............

I believe NBC Sports recently extended their contract to continue broadcasting Notre Dame football, and I thought the new deal will keep their home games on the "Peacock" through 2013...As always, official terms of the deal weren't disclosed, but I thought NBC extended its Notre Dame deal just last year.