It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Panther pislA wrote:
TWEET-HENGE: On-going rumblings about backstage politicking at WSCR-AM (670) for a revamped daytime lineup.

Hmmm. I wonder who's playing the role of Mike North?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
Panther pislA wrote:
Kerry mentioned this twice so far.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/jim_odonnell/2028728,CST-SPT-od04.article#Comments_Container

TWEET-HENGE: On-going rumblings about backstage politicking at WSCR-AM (670) for a revamped daytime lineup. This much is certain: Dan Bernstein desperately needs a partner who's not carbon-dated and anytime career toadstool Dan McNeil is around a cough button, bad things happen. ...

Shooter O'Donnell: You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!
"Happy" McNeil: You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
I am asking an honest question, who is Jim O'Donnell? I've been reading the Sun Times for years and I've never heard of him. For me, this is kind of like Animal House. They can't do that to our pledges, only we can do that to our pledges.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I remember O'Donnell ripped Kornheiser when his show first aired in Chicago, saying it wouldn't last. He turned out to be right, and Kornheiser spent the majority of his first (or one of his first) shows complaining about being criticized.

Mac essentially said O'Donnell's career has amounted to nothing and he's jealous of the success of Mac & Terry who have made a bigger name for themselves. Maybe that's true -- I don't know much about O'Donnell. But, to be fair, couldn't any athlete or coach Mac has ever criticized say that about him, too? Frustrated, jealous H.S. jock who never made it, etc.?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I'm pretty sure that Jim O'Donnell has worked in Chicago media for 25 years or so. Wasn't he one of Dahls guys back in the day? I have heard him interviewed a few times, but not on the Score.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm 

O'Donnell served a short sentence as the Sun-Times' sports media guy a few years ago, but not for long. I don't think he enjoyed the experience so I was a little surprised to see him back at it. As Mac mentioned, he ripped the SCORE before. I recall Terry giving his name a special pronunciation, something like Jim O'Donnnnelll.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The SCOOP on Jim O'Donnel: This guy was on everybodys ass in his media column from about 15 years ago. Somebody (McNeil,I think ) made mention that this guy's drinking problem led to marital problems public. He has served as a "horse racing" guy for years at the Times. I thought he was no longer in town. I was surprised to read this today!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 pm 

As much as Mac kisses Mariotti's rear end, I would think he'd be able to appreciate O'Donnell as the best wordsmith of sports in this town. He really crafts a wonderful sentence.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
So...

When is Terry's renewal date?

Bernstein needs someone else... because they're losing? Thought they had a lead, although that's changeable. Maybe "they" want B&B to compete against non-sports shows, too, any demo...

1. No one wants to see North. Controversy's fun, but let's not go there. My God, I'd rather see Buffone, although note that Hampton and Murph are contracted players. Larry too, but ...

2. McNeil? Never mind that midday is now the hot spot, it's lawn chair swapping. He and Matt are doing well; let that continue.

Bottom line? I don't get it. If Terry leaves and should Terry leave, then yes, a replacement needs to be found. But I see nothing shoving Terry out the door per se.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Don't have any inside info, but I see Terry moving towards the door quickly. He clearly has some serious health problems, and he is obviously extremely upset about the extra hour every day. Add the roast and a few other gripes he has had with management (Goff air time, etc) and I think it's easy to see things aren't all roses.

The article quoted could easily be completely fabricated (and it might be), but I wouldn't personally be shocked to find out it was true. Clearly either way, everyone involved will shoot it down, but it raises an interesting question.

My wish: Bernstein & Goff. That would be phenomenal, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I don't follow the rating too closely, but it seems like unless one show is really bad or one show is really good, MVP and the Score will always get similar ratings. Not sure why they'd want to blow shit up. North sucked and his show is the only one off the top of my head that lost by a decent margin. M+H are decent enough to beat a national show, but I'd guess if MVP put something local on in the morning drive they'd hold their own. Don't remember Hamp and Holmes ratings but I'd guess they lost handily to S+W. Even Murph, punching bag that he his, did just fine in the ratings at that time. Sure it's important to be #1, but it seems like its always a .1 difference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Career Toadstool.

That's a funny sounding description, however Mac has been at WSCR in their initial glory days, and then with ESPN when they took the lead. So O'Donnell is the stool sample here.

Interesting stuff.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:10 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
My wish: Bernstein & Goff. That would be phenomenal, IMO.

Bernstein and Hood.

Terry's not going anywhere. Although he could live a lifetime in Mokena with what he makes in a year at the Score, that gig is easy money. Even at age 60 you don't turn down easy money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
good dolphin wrote:
Bernstein and Hood.

+1 Enjoyed the few times they were paired.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Norridge, IL
had no idea terry didn't like goff getting air time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Terry on air complained about Goff and Drinky not getting enough air time!

Did I miss something, by the way? They were kinda hinting at the O'Donnell column and Terry said something like, "I thought it was Lawrence," then Kerry Sayers coughed, and Damana said, "it's me, I'm the toadstool." I just thought the "I thought it was Lawrence" seemed a little odd, just two days after Terry accused Lawrence of having a crush on Bernsie. Please come back soon, Beardown.

This has to be someone's signature.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
A7X wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bernstein and Hood.

+1 Enjoyed the few times they were paired.

Goff & anyone would be good. I would love to hear Goff & Hood do 6-10 at night on the Score.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 pm 

To be honest, I don't even understand what this means:

"and anytime career toadstool Dan McNeil is around a cough button, bad things happen. ..."
:scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Time Traveling Bunny wrote:
Terry on air complained about Goff and Drinky not getting enough air time!

Did I miss something, by the way? They were kinda hinting at the O'Donnell column and Terry said something like, "I thought it was Lawrence," then Kerry Sayers coughed, and Damana said, "it's me, I'm the toadstool." I just thought the "I thought it was Lawrence" seemed a little odd, just two days after Terry accused Lawrence of having a crush on Bernsie. Please come back soon, Beardown.

I thought it just meant carbon is black and so is Larry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Scorehead wrote:
I would love to hear Goff & Hood do 6-10 at night on the Score.

Yeah. I remember when Goff used to produce for Hood. They had some good basketball talk.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Jim O'Donnell is the same Sun-Times scribe that even got under the skin of WGN 720's Steve Cochran, when Steve was down the dial at AM 1000 before ESPN Radio took over in 1998. How miffed was Cochran? I'm not sure if Steve brought the bit with him to WGN Radio, but I remember he once turned "Stupid News", one of his signature bits, into "Jim O'Donnell News" when Steve was at AM 1000. I took that little blur about a rumored and "revamped daytime lineup" at 670 The SCORE with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
spanky wrote:

"and anytime career toadstool Dan McNeil is around a cough button, bad things happen. ..."

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like he's just throwing words together for the hell of it...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Princess Toadstool

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
spanky wrote:

I think it means that whenever Mac is on the air he has a knack for saying things that either get him suspended and/or are unfairly critical of his co-workers or other people in the business. Things that he should have hit the cough button when he said them so they didn't go out over the air.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Jim O'Donnell has worked in Chicago media for 25 years or so. Wasn't he one of Dahls guys back in the day? I have heard him interviewed a few times, but not on the Score.

OD was Art Flemming Jr on Stevie Dahl's radio Jeopardy. For you youngsters out there, Art Flemming was the original host of tv's Jeopardy. He did a very good job as the host. But alas, he ran afoul of Mr Dahl and has been a turd ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
So, maybe the Sun Times will give Turd from Mancow an article on his Mike and Mike thoughts?

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Drop In wrote:
So, maybe the Sun Times will give Turd from Mancow an article on his Mike and Mike thoughts?

Turd? What kind of a name is that? He's as fat as Golic...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Terry: "I like Mitch... except when he reprograms the station."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:15 pm 

scorehead # 84 wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

OD was Art Flemming Jr on Stevie Dahl's radio Jeopardy. For you youngsters out there, Art Flemming was the original host of tv's Jeopardy. He did a very good job as the host. But alas, he ran afoul of Mr Dahl and has been a turd ever since.

Is he the guy who started the question "Rotund schwartzer..." in describing some dictator and Dahl had to stop him. The bit appears on A Decade of Excellence.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:16 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Terry: "I like Mitch... except when he reprograms the station."

The truth is Mitch deserves a lot of credit for reprogramming the station over the last year and the resulting success.