It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Mackeyfish, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Mackeyfish. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The sports talk show guy guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:roll:
I suppose I'll stoop to your level and retort with a movie quote: Try not to suck any dick on your way to the parking lot.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I suppose I'll stoop to your level and retort with a movie quote: Try not to suck any dick on your way to the parking lot.

No no no, I'll leave them all for you. No problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Cmon Frank. You love that movie. That was a funny thing to write.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 am 
100000 CLUB

Oh its great, it was probably John Candy's best role. Still lame and predictable from GK though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
WittyMoniker2 wrote:
hackwilson's ribbies wrote:
Mac wrote:
.... There was ONE PARAGRAPH in my ESPN contract that including more than nine commas...

Yeah, well there's a racist painter that posts on here that uses nine commas in a single sentence :wink:

In all seriousness, though, Mac - I believe your request for constructive criticism to be a noble one. I guess that I don't really have a suggestion, as I don't feel that I, myself am qualified. Besides, the above statement is about as warm and fuzzy as I get, so I'll just let my fellow board members stroke your ego a bit more (or rip you a new asshole - paging Gloop) or actually give you some sound advice...

My God, please remove your lips from Mac's ass. Sometimes, I think your writing can be choppy at times, not as fluid as I would like. But, you can't please everyone.

Wow, you sound like a miserable prick - I've been critical of the man's columns before, and have posted about the things that I believed to be less than adequate given the large audience that was viewing the articles - I like to level things out and give some credit to temper my criticism so that I don't sound like an complete jagoff like you sounded with that comment to me - I actually think that you sound like much more of an ass-kisser than I ever could have :lol: What, are you afraid someone would take your place in the ALS line??

Last edited by hackwilson's ribbies on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 am 

Seriously, you would think someone who has been in the business as long as Mackey has would have many sources and have good insight. Instead he sounds like the drunken blowhard at the end of the bar parrotting crap that everyone else is already saying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am 
100000 CLUB

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Instead he sounds like the drunken blowhard at the end of the bar parrotting crap that everyone else is already saying.

And if thats what moves the meters and/or sells papers, who gives a shit?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 pm 

Well, Mackey thinks he does his best work when he doesn't give a shit. Good thing he has fans like you, Frank

I wish, just once, he would tell me something that I don't already know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

He just did. I doubt any of us knew about the 9 commas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
He just did. I doubt any of us knew about the 9 commas.

Great insight Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

You asked for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You asked for it.

Lemme know when he counts up the semi colons. There's great conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
Go back to the Sun Times. I don't read the Trib, but enjoyed (for the most part) your writing. When I didn't, it was topic, not quality that turned me off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
Or get an RSS feed on the website for your column, If you do that I could probably keep up with it online.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Well, Mackey thinks he does his best work when he doesn't give a shit. Good thing he has fans like you, Frank

Gloopan is:

A. Jurko
B. Mac
C. Boers
D. ???
E. PROFIT!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:33 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
tom cerebellum wrote:
if the goal is to have readers hear your radio voice as they read it, try eliminating any sports opinions that factually based and pollack in some grilling tips and bad music name droppings from the seventies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

The comments to this week's "column" are good.
Maybe you should stop listening to your editor and try writing a real column. By the comments, no one thinks you are now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... all.column

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:38 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's hard to sweat comments like that. Just angry Cubs fans who can't stand a Sox fan writing in the Trib, and angry Sox fans who can't see a headline about Ozzie Guillen with a question mark in it without losing their shit and getting hyperdefensive. I did like the guy who was really upset that "by cracky" was stuck in his head.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
People don't read a column to look for a great line. Nor do they read it to inspect it for proper structure. They want to learn something or have their emotions moved . If you get great material-a story that moves the reader to anger or delight, or makes them understand a player or team better, thats a good column. Of course it's hard to get a lot of this kind of material just watching the games. You need to be at the stadium/ballpark and get to talk with players/managers/Gm's etc.. and with the present economy I understand how some of the trips you may have made years ago (Super Bowl for example) are being eliminated today. Here's one subject I might like to read about-Gaines Adams. I would like to read an article about what the Bears did (general physical?) prior to the trade Jerry Angelo made to get him? I would want to know whether the Buc's ever had any information about his condition (enlarged heart) and whether that information was forwarded to the Bears? If they knew anything at all, and did not disclose it, has Jerrty Angelo sought to have the trade recinded and the 2nd round pick returned to the Bears, for failure to disclose that information? It's draft time and that subject might be a good one, as fans look forward to the first day of the draft with no Bear picks involved. I think your writing style is generally fine. I just think that too often the subject matter is not outstanding. But then again, if I had to write the article (just putting myself in those shoes) I might have a hard time coming up with subjects that would interest the masses regularly too.

Last edited by Elmhurst Steve on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Mac, if you're writing as you would speak, then why don't you include your constant gasping for air after every sentence? It's getting very annoying. Hope you quit smoking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Suparosa on Central between Irving and Montrose. Forget about the rest!!!
Sorry Mac, haven't read you since your move to the other paper. Hopefully you are getting more coin over there. Times sports section much much better, even with that advertisement that runs 3 times a week now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Gloopan is:

A. Jurko
B. Mac
C. Boers
D. ???
E. PROFIT!

F. RIGHT ON ! the newspaper is going the way of the horse and buggy,thats why these radio hacks are writting columns for them......nobody cares......papers are dying a slow death

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 am 

What a masterpiece this week.

Here's a thought.....have a point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Mac has thick skin? :lol: Nothing could be further from the truth. You are extremely sensitive when it comes to any sort of criticism unless it is followed by a slurp. Your 5 years of posting here proves that. That being said I find your columns to be boring and I never learn anything from them. If your columns aren't going to be informative then it would be nice/entertaining to get a little controversy. No one pays to watch Noah just doesn't do it for me. All that tells me is you are picking up your check with a mask and gloves.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Damn...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't think so. I think when Mac gets pushed he pushes back, not a lot different from you or me.

His columns aren't the best. I'd agree there. Maybe he took it on to be challenged, or try something different. I don't know. Maybe it will get better maybe not but why do people have such a tent in their pants about it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:35 pm 

He asked! He also made the comment that he has thick skin when it is clear that he doesn't. He will take his ball and go home in a heartbeat.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 pm 

If Jehovah witness he'll never testify...

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:43 am 

I'm looking through my Tribune sports section and I can't find the well-quaffed Dan McNeil. All I see is the lesbian wanna-be Phil Rogers and the deer in headlights Chris Kuc. Did you miss your deadline because you couldn't pull your zooba-less self away from the NFL Network long enough to knock out an article?? Those Brandon Manumaleuna rumors were just too much to pass up??