It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

First off congrats to team USA on a great win and shutting up the goofs up in the great white North for a few days.

I think NBC dropped the ball on this in many ways by not airing this game on NBC and allowing this to be in HD if you had DT or other carriers that did not have the MSNBC set up for HD. How do you air the Russians and Checks on NBC in the early part of the day and not air your home country in a game the nation wanted to watch?

I know Mac and Spiegs talked about it mid-week but once it started I was pissed off at the coverage I got and I hope the boys blast NBC (the home of the NHL AND Stanley cup playoffs) and call for the heads of the assholes who pulled this one off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Hockey would have gotten a HUGE rating for the network. Their competition was Desperate whoreswives on ABC and some shit old people watch on CBS. They really dropped the puck on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
This game should have been on during the day as to not disrupt Ice Dancing. The women of the world love their gymnastics and ice dancing and they want to see that shit in HD. I dont agree with the decision, but I understand why they did it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
This game should have been on during the day as to not disrupt Ice Dancing. The women of the world love their gymnastics and ice dancing and they want to see that shit in HD. I dont agree with the decision, but I understand why they did it.

Chris's wife please give him his login back, thanks! :D

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Tiger Woods was scoping out Ice Dancing.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Free Ajent wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Chris's wife please give him his login back, thanks! :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 am 
1000 CLUB

One other thing about msnbc....

My signal went dead because of snow/slush on my dish and/or in the sky.

msnbc's signal and all my 'higher stations' went to shit.

NBC5, and all the networks signals continued to remain functional.

Nice.

Their internet feed sucked too. It told you the score and who was getting penalties via a 'scoreboard' but it failed to tell you how much time was left in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

If this really is the case and the skating gets higher ratings, NBC did the right thing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Plus if they show hockey they're stuck with it for the whole game. They can squeeze in a bunch of different events, including all the stuff that happened during the day while ice dancing is on. I think it was better on MSNBC anyway since there's no way we would have had the whole "limited interruptions" courtesy of whatever if it was on NBC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 am 
1000 CLUB

NBC should at least have run a scroll with what was going on with the hockey game.

NOTHING.

Or gone picture in picture, and indicating where the game was being televised. With today's technology, they failed their viewers.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

So, they should have shown the game on regular TV and gotten lower ratings to satisfy a small (yet vocal) minority of viewers?

Again, if the ratings are higher for skating, then NBC did the right thing. Deal with it and move on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am 

Colonel Angus wrote:
Hockey would have gotten a HUGE rating for the network. Their competition was Desperate whoreswives on ABC and some shit old people watch on CBS. They really dropped the puck on this one.

The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss aren't old people shows.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
So, they should have shown the game on regular TV and gotten lower ratings to satisfy a small (yet vocal) minority of viewers?

Again, if the ratings are higher for skating, then NBC did the right thing. Deal with it and move on.

its a chicken egg argument. No knows if the ratings would've been higher for ice dancing because no one put the hockey game on the main network. I already asked a few women in my office and everyone of them said they switched over to the game and stuck with it to its conclusion. Well, not evey one of them, one of them couldn't find the game and kept waiting for NBC to switch over to show it but that never happened.

I subscribe to the "if you build they will come" philosophy. If you put the biggest events on the main network, people WILL watch regardless of what sport it is. As long as a game is exciting and means something, people will become hooked because its the Olympics. Its the same with every sport. I don't give a crap about speed skating or snowboarding, but I was glued to my tv to watch all the big races and events because my country was involved.

NBC needs to stop playing it safe. Its the fucking Olympics, not a 2 week long figure skating competition! How are these sports supposed to get popular if NBC won't show them? Like I said, its a chicken egg arguement. And NBC is the chicken here!

Its af ucking joke and NBC should be ashamed of themselves and never allowed to televise the Olympics again. When you televise the Olympics it comes with a responsibility, a duty to bring as many of these athletes into the living rooms of Americans as possible so people can learn to appreciate the hard work and training they went through to get to this point. That is the whole point of the Olympics. NBC is already losing $200 million on these games so its not like their decision to only show figure skating is paying off. Myabe if they showed more events and more big games they would actually have BETTER ratings. But, no one will ever know because instead of giving it a shot NBC decides that a Stanley Cup game doens't get good ratings so therefore there is no point to show an Olympic hockey game. genius logic at its best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 pm 

BTW - the USA/Canada game is being replayed right now. In HD! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 pm 

I would be happy if they only aired curling for two weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 pm 

shakes wrote:
Its af ucking joke and NBC should be ashamed of themselves and never allowed to televise the Olympics again. When you televise the Olympics it comes with a responsibility, a duty to bring as many of these athletes into the living rooms of Americans as possible so people can learn to appreciate the hard work and training they went through to get to this point. That is the whole point of the Olympics. NBC is already losing $200 million on these games so its not like their decision to only show figure skating is paying off. Myabe if they showed more events and more big games they would actually have BETTER ratings. But, no one will ever know because instead of giving it a shot NBC decides that a Stanley Cup game doens't get good ratings so therefore there is no point to show an Olympic hockey game. genius logic at its best.
You do realize that this is the Olympics and not the Hockey World Cup right?

Your point that it is a "duty to bring as many of these athletes into the living rooms of Americans as possible so people can learn to appreciate the hard work and training they went through to get to this point. That is the whole point of the Olympics."
My guess is that NBC showed more than 46 athletes last night in it's coverage going on during the US Hockey game. They showed multiple different other events and highlighted a bunch of athletes where this is the ONLY time they will get any attention whatsoever. You want them to show MORE events but seemingly have a problem with them showing 4 or 5 different events in a night instead of dedicating the whole night to one single event.

Pretty much your whole post gave reasons why it was the right decision to show the hockey game on MSNBC(though USA would have been better since I think more people know how to find that and have it in HD).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
genius logic at its best.

We're used to it from you at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
At least you were able to watch the event live.
Can't say that about many of the skiing events.
If you want to take a shot at NBC, jump on them for holding certain events for their evening programming -- even though the results were all over the net a few hours before the 7 p.m. telecast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Great to see and meet many of you handjobs the other night as I had a blast .

NBC took this game to promote MSNBC and they new huge numbers were going to watch and they did. They also lost many who could not find the game and the game turned out to be a very good which would have gotten them even bigger numbers on the network andf with it being the 30 year anniversary of the 1980 gold medal which they plugged for 2 hours on the network would of been a great table setting leading into the game last night and they failed badley on not punching that ticket.

Im not the biggest hockey fan but I got into it and enjoyed but would of like to have seen it in HD and guys who are not hockey fans to have gotten to see it on the Nations leading network.

Frank if the great Jrry Reinsdorf moved the Sox to a fuzzy station with no HD and a place that it was hard to find Im sure you'd be bitching ...... Wait I think channel 26 fills that void don't it ???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
More pussification of America "Boo hoo I couldn't watch it in HD." I'm surprised anyone watched the Miracle on Ice with rabbit ears.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Your point that it is a "duty to bring as many of these athletes into the living rooms of Americans as possible so people can learn to appreciate the hard work and training they went through to get to this point. That is the whole point of the Olympics."
My guess is that NBC showed more than 46 athletes last night in it's coverage going on during the US Hockey game. They showed multiple different other events and highlighted a bunch of athletes where this is the ONLY time they will get any attention whatsoever. You want them to show MORE events but seemingly have a problem with them showing 4 or 5 different events in a night instead of dedicating the whole night to one single event.

Pretty much your whole post gave reasons why it was the right decision to show the hockey game on MSNBC(though USA would have been better since I think more people know how to find that and have it in HD).

Many, if not all of those events could've been shown alongside the hockey game if it was on NBC. Hockey game is over at 8:30, the coverage goes till 10 or 11. Also, in between periods they could've shown some events instead of having the usual hockey talk. basically, take out ice dancing and replace it with the hockey game is all it would've taken.

sorry if this is too confusing for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:52 pm 

shakes wrote:
Also, in between periods they could've shown some events instead of having the usual hockey talk. basically, take out ice dancing and replace it with the hockey game is all it would've taken.
So instead of showing ice dancing, that pretty much only gets brought into the living rooms of Americans once every four years, they should show a bunch of NHL players that literally get shown on national television every weekend for about 3 months? Isn't the point of the Olympics to "bring as many of these athletes into the living rooms of Americans as possible so people can learn to appreciate the hard work and training they went through to get to this point"? What accomplishes this more? Showing Patrick Kane and Sidney Crosby or showing people that no one has ever heard of? This was basically a qualifying match anyways. Last night was basically the semi-finals of ice dancing. I think ice dancing sucks by the way and watched the hockey game.
shakes wrote:
sorry if this is too confusing for you.
Thanks. I'm trying really hard to understand how showing famous NHL players play what equates to a regular season game is able to reach the "Olympic goal" you stated more than showing a bunch of people who didn't matter last week and won't matter after the finals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:56 pm 

Hockey fans need to gain some perspective.
Stop blaming NBC. Blame the NHL.
National games are played on Versus -- not ESPN or TNT. Hockey had its chance and blew it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:03 pm 

At least the Sweden-US women's hockey match is on USA.
I can watch Kim Martin make sprawling saves in HD quality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
You do realize that this is the Olympics and not the Hockey World Cup right?

no, you have it all wrong. What I'm trying to say is....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Brian's Mojito wrote:
National games are played on Versus -- not ESPN or TNT. Hockey had its chance and blew it.

Truth, quoted for.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:

Truth, quoted for.

What does any of that have to do with the Olympics and NBC's coverage? Are you guys saying that because the NHL gets poor coverage that means the Olympic hockey should get second rate coverage?

Let me ask you, where can you find your weekly speedskating or snowcross game? ESPN? TNT? Plenty of olympic sports get poor coverage outside of the olympics yet they still managed to find their way onto the main stage.

In other words, really stupid arguement by you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
MSNBC drew an 8.5 rating here in Chicago for the USA/Canada hockey game last night, while NBC Sports' primetime Olympic coverage drew a 14.6 rating locally. Two other NBC Universal-owned properties carrying the Vancouver Winter Olympics, CNBC & USA Network, are available in HD. Why didn't Chairman Dick Ebersol and "Peacock" bosses put the USA/Canada game on either of those channels instead? :? I understand that figure skating & ice dancing were supposedly higher ratings draws and that the USA/Canada hockey game was a preliminary, but I thought CNBC & USA Network were higher rated cable networks than MSNBC...Besides, USA carried the first 2 Team USA men's hockey games in HD...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
shakes wrote:
What does any of that have to do with the Olympics and NBC's coverage? Are you guys saying that because the NHL gets poor coverage that means the Olympic hockey should get second rate coverage?

No, I'm saying that when hockey gets second rate coverage it shouldn't be a surprise because if the network that would benefit from promoting the sport the most, NBC, makes a ratings based decision to show something else it speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
NBC bosses insist that figure skating & ice dancing were bigger ratings draws than hockey, even though "The Peacock" is the U.S. home of the National Hockey League. If USA & Canada are competing for medals this weekend in men's hockey, bet the rent it'll be on NBC, complete with Mike "Doc" Emrick & Eddie Olczyk on the call, and in HD.