It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Matt, who scored the game-winning goal?
The headline was for the game story on the gold-medal game.
This wasn't the headline for a story on the Olympics hockey experience as a whole.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
To me, "The Crosby Show" is just further proof with what was wrong with overall American coverage of the Olympics.

The real story from the hockey side is goaltending. Canada isn't in the gold medal game without Robert Luongo. The US isn't in without Ryan Miller. The Swiss don't go deep without Hiller.

While Crosby had 2 game winners, he really was overshadowed in terms of play by Jarome Iginla and all of their defencemen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
So the headline should have been "Miller Time" -- even though the US lost.
Canada won the game on Crosby's OT goal. End of story.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:37 pm 

I'm not a headline writer, but I would have tried to find something using Roberto Luongo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
As a complete non-hockey fan that watched 3 or 4 games including the Gold Medal game. I thought Crosby scoring the final goal to give his country the gold, and from what I understand, the Canadian public's annointing of him as the next Gretzky at age 12 or something like that, to be the story of that game.

Assuming that hockey is trying to get someone like me to watch (complete uninformed boobs), what I took from the game was Richard Luongo almost blew it by not securing the puck prior to the 2nd goal and Crosby gave that game a storybook ending for Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Luongo looked shaky. If we could have gotten more shots on him we'd have won.

The skill difference really shows up more on the 4 on 4. Much harder to play team defense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:52 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Luongo looked shaky. If we could have gotten more shots on him we'd have won.

The skill difference really shows up more on the 4 on 4. Much harder to play team defense.

Exactly what my buddies and I were talking about at the bar yesterday.

I think my problem with Crosby is that I just don't like him. I think he's soft as a 2 way player, much like Gretzky was.

I saw him play a couple of times in person when he was with the Kings in his prime, and my takeaway was that when his team was on defense, he would plant himself near the blue line, and just cherry pick clearing passes. It seems to me whenever I see a game with Crosby involved, he disappears when his team is on defense as well.

IMO, Mario Lemiux was a superior player to Gretzky, and I would happily take Alex Ovechkin over Crosby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The real story from the hockey side is goaltending. Canada isn't in the gold medal game without Robert Luongo. The US isn't in without Ryan Miller. The Swiss don't go deep without Hiller.

While Crosby had 2 game winners, he really was overshadowed in terms of play by Jarome Iginla and all of their defencemen.

Canada would've been in that game with any of their 3 goalies. Luongo looked like shit yesterday and was propped up by his great team in front of him.

Don't know what you're talking about with Iginla, he was mediocre at best in the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 pm 

shakes wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Canada would've been in that game with any of their 3 goalies. Luongo looked like shit yesterday and was propped up by his great team in front of him.

Don't know what you're talking about with Iginla, he was mediocre at best in the tournament.

Iginla lead the tournament in goals

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
shakes wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Iginla lead the tournament in goals

lol, he scored 5 goals, 3 against Norway and 2 vs Germany. Yeah, really good tournament for him!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Canada always needs some bigger than life player to hang their hat on and that is "Sid the kId" but the best player in the World is Ovechkin hands down. Im not a big fan of Crosby's as he''ll never even come close to sniffing Gretzky's jock but again the kid is the North American face of hockey and you run with it.

As much shit as Dustin Byfuglien gets from people in the hockey section here I think he would of made a difference yesterday because the American team lacked size and the Hawks fans on the board will remember that he gave Luongo fits in the playoffs last year and to the Canucks own admission Buff got into Luongos head and a Big body in front of the Canada goaltender might of changed the out come but I'm proud of our guy's but would of loved to have seen the faces of our neighbors from the North in pure shock had we puleed that one off.

Miller stood on his head many nights but I thought the game winner for Canada was a softie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 pm 

Slap Shot ED wrote:
Canada always needs some bigger than life player to hang their hat on and that is "Sid the kId" but the best player in the World is Ovechkin hands down. Im not a big fan of Crosby's as he''ll never even come close to sniffing Gretzky's jock but again the kid is the North American face of hockey and you run with it.

As much shit as Dustin Byfuglien gets from people in the hockey section here I think he would of made a difference yesterday because the American team lacked size and the Hawks fans on the board will remember that he gave Luongo fits in the playoffs last year and to the Canucks own admission Buff got into Luongos head and a Big body in front of the Canada goaltender might of changed the out come but I'm proud of our guy's but would of loved to have seen the faces of our neighbors from the North in pure shock had we puleed that one off.

Miller stood on his head many nights but I thought the game winner for Canada was a softie.

Buff shows up to 1/5 games and can't even put up an effort vs teh Florida Panthers of the world and you wanna put him up against Team Canada? Dumbass.

btw, how exactly did the US lack size? They were the hardest hitting team in the tournament and had tons of size on every line.

You should change your name to Slapshot to the Head Ed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
The Buff thing was silly. Might have been nice to include one or two of the old guard guys like Modano that can put the puck in the net. That was what was sorely lacking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
The Buff thing was silly. Might have been nice to include one or two of the old guard guys like Modano that can put the puck in the net. That was what was sorely lacking.

fuck that, Modano is useless now. Burke did the right thing saying no thanks to the majority of the bums who were there in 2006.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
Slap Shot ED wrote:

Buff shows up to 1/5 games and can't even put up an effort vs teh Florida Panthers of the world and you wanna put him up against Team Canada? Dumbass.

btw, how exactly did the US lack size? They were the hardest hitting team in the tournament and had tons of size on every line.

First off blow me as 1 you don't fucking know me and 2 I've forgotten more about hockey than you'll ever know. You want to be a jagoff and not debate my opinion like a true fan then that's fine as you can go and take that great hockey knowledge of yours and go and debate with the Naperville midget A club as Im sure they will have some thoughts for you .

I usaully don't waste my time with clowns like you but I've seen some of your hockey posts and figured it was about time someone called you an asshole. Times up buddy .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That post kinda turned me on, Ed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm 

Shakes :roll: You continue to 'un-impress' us, buddy. But hey - Sweden won the gold, just like you said they would so we probably shouldn't question you. Forgive us, hockey-genius. But please keep posting here - you're at least good for a few laughs when you blast everybody else's opinions on hockey and then repeatedly end up being wrong again and again and again..... :lol: And again!!!

The US was lacking in size, especially up front. Orpik played big in the last game, but was a liability up to that point.

Also - Iginla played very well for Canada - as he always does. That guy seems to step up his game for the Olympics every time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
I also picked the Super Swedes to win the Gold at the beginning of the Olympics. Swedes' (and NY Rangers) goalkeeper Lundqvist played a solid tournament EXCEPT the 2nd period against Slovakia--when he gave up 3 goals on 3 consecutive shots.
The Swedes are back playing tonight for their NHL team and are up 2-0 on the Avs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm 

spanky wrote:
Shakes :roll: You continue to 'un-impress' us, buddy. But hey - Sweden won the gold, just like you said they would so we probably shouldn't question you. Forgive us, hockey-genius. But please keep posting here - you're at least good for a few laughs when you blast everybody else's opinions on hockey and then repeatedly end up being wrong again and again and again..... :lol: And again!!!

The US was lacking in size, especially up front. Orpik played big in the last game, but was a liability up to that point.

Also - Iginla played very well for Canada - as he always does. That guy seems to step up his game for the Olympics every time.

The US has plenty of size, the only thing they were lacking up front was scoring...and that's cause guys like Kessell, Pavelski and Stastny played like shit. Ryan didn't score much, but that's cause Wilson put him on the 4th line for some unknown reason.

Plenty of size on the first line: Langenbruner, Parise (plays plenty big)
More than enough on the 2nd: Brown, Kessler
3rd line sucked
PLenty of size on the 4th line: Ryan, Backes, Callahan

Where is this so called deficit in size up front?

And in the back they had tons of size as well (Gleason, Orpick, Johnsons, Whitney)

Iginla was pretty much invisible the entire tournament. The entire first line was a joke. Iginla is out there to score goals and he didn't do it in any games except super powers Norway and Germany. How is that playing very well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Slap Shot ED wrote:
shakes wrote:
Slap Shot ED wrote:

First off blow me as 1 you don't fucking know me and 2 I've forgotten more about hockey than you'll ever know. You want to be a jagoff and not debate my opinion like a true fan then that's fine as you can go and take that great hockey knowledge of yours and go and debate with the Naperville midget A club as Im sure they will have some thoughts for you .

I usaully don't waste my time with clowns like you but I've seen some of your hockey posts and figured it was about time someone called you an asshole. Times up buddy .

Try forgetting knowledge like that next time before you post it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
[/quote]

Try being relevant here before you comment on something that does not concern you dickface. People want to be assholes than you and Shakes can start your own Message board.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: @many things in this thread.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

STU-GOTZ wrote:
Quote:

Try being relevant here before you comment on something that does not concern you dickface. People want to be assholes than you and Shakes can start your own Message board.[/quote]

One of your better posts STU. Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 am 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
STU-GOTZ wrote:
Quote:

Try being relevant here before you comment on something that does not concern you dickface. People want to be assholes than you and Shakes can start your own Message board.

One of your better posts STU. Congrats.[/quote]

Wish I could say the same about the 2650 earth shattering thoughts you posted over the years but you can't pull the wool over the fine folks here as they would see right thru me. Now go get your shine box and wait till I call on you after you raise your hand and asked to be heard from. :bom:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:31 am 
Site Admin

STU;

The comment about Dustin was akin to you giving relationship advice.

Is that clear enough for even you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 am 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
STU;

I'll tell one thing about my pal and he's a big boy and can take care of himself but I would put his hockey knowledge up against anyone and I don't pretend to know the game but Mac brought up the same point about Buff yesterday and my point is along with what Slappy was saying and that is you want to discuss or disagree with a person here do it with a little class then coming out of the box and calling the guy a dumbass and being a complete dick about it.

I have something clear for you and that's to fuck off.Clowns like you guys think you know me but you haven't shown up to an event to bother to meet me or have a beer like some of the other fine folks here who by the way love me .

So your next cogent thought will be your first and I think Spaulding can tell ya Im one f the best on giving relationship advice . So zip up my fly and clean your face off before you make any more dumbass statements.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
STU-GOTZ wrote:
I have something clear for you and that's to fuck off.Clowns like you guys think you know me but you haven't shown up to an event to bother to meet me or have a beer like some of the other fine folks here who by the way love me

EPIC

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I want to meet this STU guy....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
So zip up my fly and clean your face off before you make any more dumbass statements.

:lol:

Vintage Stu...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:17 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
STU;

I'll tell one thing about my pal and he's a big boy and can take care of himself but I would put his hockey knowledge up against anyone and I don't pretend to know the game but Mac brought up the same point about Buff yesterday

:lol: Mac and Slapshot to the head agree on something and you think that makes it a good point? Dumbass, that only proves how stupid it is. Those two idiots are genius stupid when it comes to hockey. And wtf does Mac know about the Olympics, he didn't even watch it! Yet he's got an opinion on what would make the team better?

Hey Stu, get your lips off mac's cock while your spreading your butt cheeks so slappy can railroad you from behind. Not a good look for you.