It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
I do have to say that JORR got lucky with Battle of Midway. If you bet on a horse as many times JORR has taken Battle of Midway, he's gonna win one of those times. Compared to the other horses, there was nothing in his speed figures history to indicate that he could have been capable of winning.

I'll be done early from work today. Looking forward to catching up on the races.

I bet on Battle of Midway to win four times in his career and he won three of those races and finished second in another. I bet him when he broke his maiden at 7/2. In the Santa Anita Derby I couldn't split him and Reach the World, but the prices did the work for me. Battle of Midway went off at 7/1 and I fired. He just missed. Then there was the Derby. I didn't think he could win but I used him in all the vertical gimmicks. He raced as well as anyone at 40/1. If not for that fucking Lookin at Lee he would have keyed HUGE tris and supers for me by finishing third. The next time I bet him was in some minor stake at Del Mar. I couldn't believe he went off at 3/1. He cakewalked the field. And then, of course he won the Dirt Mile and paid 30 bucks. I think you're underestimating the horse.

Against that strong field, with Sharp Azteca, Mor Spirit, Practical Joke, Awesome Slew and Cupid, there seemed to be better horses in the race. The Brisnet speed figures for BOM were, I believe, 100 or lower, while Sharp Azteca and Mor Spirit had put up near 110 figures recently. Not surprising that BOM went off at 15-1. No excuse for Mor Spirit. Baffert didn't have him ready for this race.

When I attended Indiana U., there was a story about Bobby Knight on the university golf course. He was playing with some people, and one of them made a 10 ft. put. Bobby congratulated him. Yet, when the same guy made a 25 ft. put later on, Bobby said nothing. When asked why he remained silent then, Bobby's response was that while the first put was made with skill, the long put was made with luck and that one did not deserve congratulating. So it was with BOM winning the Breeder's dirt mile.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:42 am 

Speaking of BOM, there's news today that he's been retired to stud. The mile was his last race.

http://www.espn.com/horse-racing/story/ ... ay-retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:15 pm 

Hit 10-1 Spin Hard today in the 5th at Hawthorne for $5. Yes.

And hits Feets of Fire 6.5-1 in the 6th on the sloppy track.

I love Hawthorne.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Good work. Had a bit of luck myself yesterday, both Del Mar and Hawthorne.