It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
You got the Florida and Louisiana Derbys, take your pick.

Is it as easy as taking Gunnerva at Gulfstream and Girvin at the Fair Grounds?

These are two races I would not be shy about betting the favorites. Keep it simple, stupid!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:39 pm 

Florida Derby field:

Louisiana Derby field:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Give guys here horses and they don't play them so enjoy the circle jerk 8)

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:37 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:

How do you know? I think people are looking at what you're and the other resident experts are recommending. You got Leash going to the OTB now!

Like I said before, I don't necessarily play for the money, although winning is always nice. I really like the sport of it and trying to figure out who's best.

I think it could be an excellent triple crown season, in that there seem to be a lot of solid horses this year. Helps to watch these prep races to spot emerging talent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

How do you know? I think people are looking at what you're and the other resident experts are recommending. You got Leash going to the OTB now!

Like I said before, I don't necessarily play for the money, although winning is always nice. I really like the sport of it and trying to figure out who's best.

I think it could be an excellent triple crown season, in that there seem to be a lot of solid horses this year. Helps to watch these prep races to spot emerging talent.

throw out a $50 horse and nothinf

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:10 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

throw out a $50 horse and nothinf

You made a good call on Untrapped in the Rebel. I had not looked at that horse closely, until you mentioned it. I ended up making a nice little show bet on him and won.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:40 pm 

I'm still researching these races, but Three Rules looks interesting in the Florida Derby at 8-1 M/L, despite the guys at DRF sort of dismissing him in their video preview.

First of all, it came in third in probably what has been the best prep race yet in the G2 Fountain of Youth, featuring Gunnerva, Three Rules, Practical Joke, and Irish War Cry. What a line-up! If you look at Three Rules' trip, he did everything you would want the horse to do but win in that race. He got off to a great start and kept up with the favorite, Irish War Cry, through a 1/4 mile, who ran it in a fast 23.43. Three Rules then gets by Irish War Cry only to have Practical Joke run up on him at the far pole, whom he fought gamely with until the wire, just missing finishing second. Gunnerva just had the superior late speed down the stretch to beat them both, which is why he is and should be the favorite in the Florida Derby.

If there's a horse that could beat Gunnerva, it would be Three Rules if he can save some of that early speed.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina

I bet your recs every time I'm there at the right time. A couple weeks ago, I was there way too early for the races you recommended, and I want to be able to watch. Got anything on earlier races tomorrow?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This is a bad spot for Gunnevera, even if he is the best horse as I think he is. I'm either going with Always Dreaming or State of Honor.

I'm not sold on Girvin. I think Guest Suite is the thing in that race.

Also, today might be the day when Walt can actually get fat with Mo Tom instead of having his heart broken and his wallet busted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:07 am 

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 am 

well now that i know what "a horse for a course" means... :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 am 

W_Z wrote:

well now that i know what "a horse for a course" means... :)

:D

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:29 am 

FYI 1st race a Gulfstream a track record was set for 7 furlongs by a & year old

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:19 pm 

I'm doubling down on Three Rules either by himself or in an exacta with Gunnerva.

It only makes sense in the Florida Derby to take the 2016 Florida 'Horse of the Year." Let's not forget he beat Gunnerva twice as a two-year old.

This time, he gets an outside post, though inside Gunnerva. It probably helps him, in that he'll be sitting off the pace, ready to strike by the far turn. The trainer for Three Rules was originally aiming for the Preakness, given his speed, but because his performance was so good in the "Fountain of Youth", he's being sent for the third time off the the lay-off at his home park. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This is a bad spot for Gunnevera, even if he is the best horse as I think he is. I'm either going with Always Dreaming or State of Honor.

I'm not sold on Girvin. I think Guest Suite is the thing in that race.

Also, today might be the day when Walt can actually get fat with Mo Tom instead of having his heart broken and his wallet busted.

Great call, JORR, on the Florida Derby.

You pick the horse that had not won a stakes race yet and he pulls off a G1 victory.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:30 am 

All hail JORR

I'm out.