It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preakness
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hope Practical Joke runs in the Preakness. I felt bad for Chad Brown for getting the lousy outside post with him, and he still finished 5th.

Practical Joke is a nice horse but he's a miler. The Preakness should be a two horse race between Always Dreaming and Battle of Midway unless Hollendorfer ducks to wait for a better spot.

When I posted the above I didn't think there was any chance that Casse was going to turn Classic Empire around that quickly, but apparently they're heading to Baltimore. Always Dreaming is a legit threat to take the Triple Crown (though his pedigree may catch up with him in the Belmont), but Classic Empire has a real shot to beat him next week.

Always Dreaming figures to be even money, maybe even 4/5. If I can get 7/2 or more on Classic Empire, I'm loading up.

Post subject: Re: Preakness
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 am 

i don't know that i saw that kind of dominance from always dreaming. lookin at lee was inching pretty close toward the end.

this could be another nyquist situation. i guess it'll depend on how baltimore's weather looks next week.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'm pulling for my boy Patch.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I think you can throw out the Derby results because of the mud. Classic Empire got banged around and still finished fourth. Hence was never a factor because of a bad start and subsequent traffic. Both are set to run again in the Preakness. Sure, I like the Mark Casse's revenge angle. In reading all the stories leading up to the Derby, he wanted to win the most. It will be interesting to see whether Casse sends State of Honor as well. That horse would also have a chance in the Preakness.

As for Practical Joke being a miler, he was a miler that beat fifteen other horses in the Derby, despite getting the 19 post. I would like him in the Preakness. The early line on him apparently is 18-1, which would be a great price. Chad Brown is money.

Interesting that Gunnevera trainer, Antonio Sano, is switching jockeys from J. Castellano to Mike Smith. Of all the Derby performances, Gunnevera's was the most disappointing. He had the smart money on him, too, with the odds beaten down to 9-1 from 15-1. He was the Washington Post's top pick. The trainer seems like a real survivor. If there's anyone that can bounce back, it's him.

I would not discount Multiplier, the Illinois Derby Winner. He's got excellent late speed that will keep him close to Always Dreaming down the stretch. I would buy him all day at 10-1. Dandelions, not quite. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:
I think you can throw out the Derby results because of the mud. Classic Empire got banged around and still finished fourth. Hence was never a factor because of a bad start and subsequent traffic. Both are set to run again in the Preakness. Sure, I like the Mark Casse's revenge angle. In reading all the stories leading up to the Derby, he wanted to win the most. It will be interesting to see whether Casse sends State of Honor as well. That horse would also have a chance in the Preakness.

I don't think Casse wanted to win any more than any other trainer, rider, or owner in the race. And if you're saying mud was a factor in Always Dreaming's victory, I'm gonna disagree. I think they could have run that race on a mile and a quarter stretch of the Eisenhower and Always Dreaming still would have won. Still, Classic Empire had a troubled trip and he's going to be a better price than Always Dreaming next week.

Dignified Rube wrote:
As for Practical Joke being a miler, he was a miler that beat fifteen other horses in the Derby, despite getting the 19 post. I would like him in the Preakness. The early line on him apparently is 18-1, which would be a great price. Chad Brown is money.

Exactly, which is why Brown is going to smart enough to keep him at the middle distances from here on out. Maybe he can win the Met Mile.

Dignified Rube wrote:
Interesting that Gunnevera trainer, Antonio Sano, is switching jockeys from J. Castellano to Mike Smith. Of all the Derby performances, Gunnevera's was the most disappointing. He had the smart money on him, too, with the odds beaten down to 9-1 from 15-1. He was the Washington Post's top pick. The trainer seems like a real survivor. If there's anyone that can bounce back, it's him.

I don't think it's accurate to say Sano is switching jockeys. I believe Castellano is taking off Gunnevera to ride Cloud Computing. I'd say Cloud Computing is the horse with the better long term future and besides that, Brown can put Castellano on a lot more good horses than Sano can.

Dignified Rube wrote:
I would not discount Multiplier, the Illinois Derby Winner. He's got excellent late speed that will keep him close to Always Dreaming down the stretch. I would buy him all day at 10-1. Dandelions, not quite. :wink:

I can't see anyone winning this race other than Always Dreaming or Classic Empire.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I can't see anyone winning this race other than Always Dreaming or Classic Empire.

Always dreaming will be fool's gold in the Preakness on a fast track.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

He won't finish worse than second.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

"Multiplier ran the Illinois Derby in a swift 1:47.98 for 1 1/8 miles over a fast main track, the second-fastest time in the race’s 59-year history, coming with a determined run down the stretch to win by a head in his stakes debut. It was nearly five lengths back to third-place finisher It’s Your Nickel.

JORR, don't tell me you're not going to bet this Hawthorne winner. You're Mr. Hawthorne!

My honest impression is that when Multiplier finished the Illinois Derby he looked like he was sprinting on grass. Lights out!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Where have you gone Aloma's Ruler? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Where have you gone Aloma's Ruler? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you

Jack Kaenel! Good things can happen when you go to the lead.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

"Multiplier ran the Illinois Derby in a swift 1:47.98 for 1 1/8 miles over a fast main track, the second-fastest time in the race’s 59-year history, coming with a determined run down the stretch to win by a head in his stakes debut. It was nearly five lengths back to third-place finisher It’s Your Nickel.

JORR, don't tell me you're not going to bet this Hawthorne winner. You're Mr. Hawthorne!

My honest impression is that when Multiplier finished the Illinois Derby he looked like he was sprinting on grass. Lights out!

I'm not impessed with Muliplier and I'd be shocked if he hit the board in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:28 pm 

Always Dreaming looks tough as nails....so I will bet pick 3/4/5/ and 6's singling him

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:28 am 

http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-doing ... es-pimlico

Illinois Derby winner Multiplier will run for new owners in the Preakness Stakes. He will also have a new jockey, as Joel Rosario has been given the mount.

Gary Barber, Adam Wachtel, and George Kerr purchased Multiplier from American Equistock about 10 days ago. The horse will remain with trainer Brendan Walsh.

Wachtel was part-owner of Exaggerator, the 2016 Preakness winner, and said there was a lot to like regarding Multiplier.

“Obviously, his Illinois Derby was a big effort,” Wachtel said. “Looking at his sheet numbers, he had a great-looking Ragozin line. We really liked his video.”

Multiplier, a son of The Factor, has won 2 of 4 starts, including the Illinois Derby by a head over Hedge Fund on April 22.

“Having to take on nice horses like Always Dreaming and Classic Empire, the advantage is that we got a little extra rest,” Wachtel said. “That and we think we got a nice colt. As of today, we plan to give it a try.”

Later Tuesday afternoon, Wachtel confirmed that Rosario will ride Multiplier in the Belmont. Rosario replaces James Graham, who rode Multiplier to victory in the Illinois Derby.

Wachtel said he has good luck with Rosario, noting that he rode Tourist to victory in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Mile. Rosario also rode Long On Value to a close second in the Group 1 Al Quoz Sprint on the Dubai World Cup undercard.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I'm not impessed with Muliplier and I'd be shocked if he hit the board in Baltimore.

Rosario has two seconds, a third and a fourth place finish in five tries in the Preakness. The new owners of Multiplier know what they're doing hiring him, short of getting V. Espinoza.

I'm not making the same mistake by taking three or four horses, like I did in the Derby, when I should have just bet Always Dreaming. It's going to be Multiplier across, plus some exotics. I think it will come down to Always Dreaming, Classic Empire, Multiplier and Royal Mo. Stevens has spoken very highly of his horse, who placed 3rd in the San Anita.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:

Rosario has two seconds, a third and a fourth place finish in five tries in the Preakness. The new owners of Multiplier know what they're doing hiring him, short of getting V. Espinoza.

I'm not making the same mistake by taking three or four horses, like I did in the Derby, when I should have just bet Always Dreaming. It's going to be Multiplier across, plus some exotics. I think it will come down to Always Dreaming, Classic Empire, Multiplier and Royal Mo. Stevens has spoken very highly of his horse, who placed 3rd in the San Anita.

Fuck Victor "Five Wide" Espinoza. Anyway, I have yet to see a jockey carry a horse.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Fuck Victor "Five Wide" Espinoza. Anyway, I have yet to see a jockey carry a horse.

Calvin Borel with Mine that Bird in the 2009 Kentucky Derby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is4q1L6JiSI

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:35 pm 

we should be a smart enough group to hit a pick 6 or 4 what do you say?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

we should be a smart enough group to hit a pick 6 or 4 what do you say?

I'm in.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Let me get in on that shit.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:29 am 

As much as I'd like to have confidence in Gary Stevens talking up Royal Mo, his performance in the San Anita was not spectacular. He was only coasting into the wire, apparently with an empty tank. I don't think Gormely would be in the top three in the Preakness.

I would be dumb to overlook Looking at Lee and then after him, Conquest Mo Money. What Looking at Lee did in the Arkansas and Kentucy Derby should be good enough to hit the board in the Preakness. He was one of few horses that Always Dreaming did not pull away from in the Kentucky Derby, showing he's competitive with the favorite. The horse's trajectory goes higher each race. Corey Lanerie has done a very good job jockeying this horse.

The rest of the field doesn't scare me, but Gunnevera and Hence could rebound on a fast track if its in the offering.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Sat May 13, 2017 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Cmon' Patch

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Haven't made a bet yet but as of now I'm betting on Empire

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
IN.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 pm 

Greek Money and Ridan 1962 while Manny Ycaza tries to elbow John Rotz

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:30 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-doings-energetic-always-dreaming-arrives-pimlico

Illinois Derby winner Multiplier will run for new owners in the Preakness Stakes. He will also have a new jockey, as Joel Rosario has been given the mount.

Gary Barber, Adam Wachtel, and George Kerr purchased Multiplier from American Equistock about 10 days ago. The horse will remain with trainer Brendan Walsh.

Wachtel was part-owner of Exaggerator, the 2016 Preakness winner, and said there was a lot to like regarding Multiplier.

“Obviously, his Illinois Derby was a big effort,” Wachtel said. “Looking at his sheet numbers, he had a great-looking Ragozin line. We really liked his video.”

Multiplier, a son of The Factor, has won 2 of 4 starts, including the Illinois Derby by a head over Hedge Fund on April 22.

“Having to take on nice horses like Always Dreaming and Classic Empire, the advantage is that we got a little extra rest,” Wachtel said. “That and we think we got a nice colt. As of today, we plan to give it a try.”

Later Tuesday afternoon, Wachtel confirmed that Rosario will ride Multiplier in the Belmont. Rosario replaces James Graham, who rode Multiplier to victory in the Illinois Derby.

Wachtel said he has good luck with Rosario, noting that he rode Tourist to victory in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Mile. Rosario also rode Long On Value to a close second in the Group 1 Al Quoz Sprint on the Dubai World Cup undercard.

FYI
Since 2000 only 3 horse that didn't run in the Derby -Red Bullet- Bernardini-Rachel Alexandra won the Preakness

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:49 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-doings-energetic-always-dreaming-arrives-pimlico

FYI
Since 2000 only 3 horse that didn't run in the Derby -Red Bullet- Bernardini-Rachel Alexandra won the Preakness

Thank you. But it's not going to dissuade me from sticking with Multiplier, simply because the odds are too good for a horse with that speed, if he stays around 20-1. In a ten horse field, I think he has a legitimate shot. Your data mining (3 wins/16 tries) suggests his chance is better than the straight odds or the M/L odds, though we don't know the total number of non-Derby Preakness entries during that 16 year period.

And the fact that he has one more week of rest over the favorites should help him, not hurt him, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

FYI

Thank you. But it's not going to dissuade me from sticking with Multiplier, simply because the odds are too good for a horse with that speed, if he stays around 20-1. In a ten horse field, I think he has a legitimate shot. Your data mining (3 wins/16 tries) suggests his chance is better than the straight odds or the M/L odds, though we don't know the total number of non-Derby Preakness entries during that 16 year period.

And the fact that he has one more week of rest over the favorites should help him, not hurt him, right?

I don't want to dissuade you, but Multiplier just isn't the same caliber of horse as many of these in here.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

FYI

I don't want to dissuade you, but Multiplier just isn't the same caliber of horse as many of these in here.

I know. I've talked about the "class trap" I fallen into before. My feeling now is that speed trumps class in certain situations, and one of those situations might be unfolding in the Preakness.

Always Dreaming didn't exactly have a lot of class going into the Kentucky Derby with only the one G1 win in the Florida Derby. And yet a number of us here thought he was the best horse based on how he ran in that race. That thinking proved right, when it would have been more prudent to take a horse with multiple graded stakes wins like Classic Empire, Irish War Cry and Gormely for their consistency. You yourself picked Always Dreaming in the Florida Derby, JORR, without him having any class history, which I congratulated you on at the time. Why couldn't Multiplier get lucky in this race, who does at least have the G3 Illinois Derby win?

If you're running 1 1/8 mi. in under 1:48 on dirt like Multiplier did at Hawthorne, that's fast. Again, 2nd fastest time in the history of that race. And he did it all on the back end, which will only help him in the 1/16 mi. longer Preakness.

Lastly, as I've posted about, new ownership with a previous Preakness win bought Multiplier after Illinois. They must have payed a pretty penny for him to get him when they did. Doesn't that ring a bell that the horse is for real?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

FYI

I know. I've talked about the "class trap" I fallen into before. My feeling now is that speed trumps class in certain situations, and one of those situations might be unfolding in the Preakness.

Always Dreaming didn't exactly have a lot of class going into the Kentucky Derby with only the one G1 win in the Florida Derby. And yet a number of us here thought he was the best horse based on how he ran in that race. That thinking proved right, when it would have been more prudent to take a horse with multiple graded stakes wins like Classic Empire, Irish War Cry and Gormely for their consistency. You yourself picked Always Dreaming in the Florida Derby, JORR, without him having any class history, which I congratulated you on at the time. Why couldn't Multiplier get lucky in this race, who does at least have the G3 Illinois Derby win?

If you're running 1 1/8 mi. in under 1:48 on dirt like Multiplier did at Hawthorne, that's fast. Again, 2nd fastest time in the history of that race. And he did it all on the back end, which will only help him in the 1/16 mi. longer Preakness.

Lastly, as I've posted about, new ownership with a previous Preakness win bought Multiplier after Illinois. They must have payed a pretty penny for him to get him when they did. Doesn't that ring a bell that the horse is for real?

When you talk to some speed handicappers or sheets players, they'll tell you that "class" doesn't exist. But good horses often win in slow times. It's sort of like my argument about pitchers and W/L record. Multiplier may be able to run 1-3/16 miles in 1:56. But if the race goes in 1:58 he's gonna be behind Always Dreaming and Classic Empire. They have more class. And I won't even say Multiplier or a horse like him could never beat Always Dreaming or Classic Empire, but he's just in too deep in a field like this. There are too many horses better than he is in the race. even if three of them have bad days/bad trips, there are three or four more that he is unlikely to beat.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
When you talk to some speed handicappers or sheets players, they'll tell you that "class" doesn't exist. But good horses often win in slow times. It's sort of like my argument about pitchers and W/L record. Multiplier may be able to run 1-3/16 miles in 1:56. But if the race goes in 1:58 he's gonna be behind Always Dreaming and Classic Empire. They have more class. And I won't even say Multiplier or a horse like him could never beat Always Dreaming or Classic Empire, but he's just in too deep in a field like this. There are too many horses better than he is in the race. even if three of them have bad days/bad trips, there are three or four more that he is unlikely to beat.

Remember when I said that Multiplier looked like a turf horse down the stretch at the Illinois Derby? I was reading the following article yesterday on DRF about Multiplier, and the Trainer, Walsh, made the same observation.

“He’s quite an angular horse,” Walsh said. “If you were told he was a turf horse, you’d believe it. Nothing bothers him. His temperament is what allows him more than anything. He’s so switched off. He wants to eat and sleep, and that’s it, but in a race, he shows great desire.”

http://www.drf.com/news/things-are-fina ... multiplier

This trainer seems like a real up-and-comer. And I like the fact that he actually rides his horses, so he knows them inside and out.

So we'll see. I hope Multiplier does well, because otherwise the odds are going to be poor. Do you really want to be putting money on Always Dreaming at 1-1 or an exacta on A.D. and Classic Empire at 4 or 5-1? Bad risk reward.

It comes down to "no guts, no glory". Heck, even if Multiplier places show, he'll probably pay 8-1 at least.