It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tampa Derby Day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Casual Causeway a leading contender going forward (redboard-never got to post this but had the cold exacta in the Sam Davis) …he may not need it and the double of Sam Davis/Tampa Derby rarely occurs, usually due to the level of competition…Shipsational (love Midshipman, underrated sire) never broke was eighth and finished hard to lose by just a neck in the Davis…he’s the guy I like in the Tampa Derby…Major general very nice horse but will be tough ask off the bench, I do like him going forward Happy Boy Rocket really improved from race 1 to race 2
9-4-8-3

Also I’ve always believed that the top local jocks perform well on these days…give a bump throughout the card to Camacho, Morales, De La Cruz and Gallardo…(they’re also the legal team you want if you ever get in trouble in Mexico City) "call dos-dos-dos-veintidos-veintidos"

Post subject: Re: Tampa Derby Day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:10 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Classic Causeway is absolutely legit in this one. Easy winner last time out geared down at the end against the same basic field. There are a couple of horses that look like they can improve and had less than ideal trips in the Sam F. Davis- Shipsational and Golder Glider. If you can get the right price on either of them they're good alternatives to the favorite. I believe Money Supply is a scratch. The only other horse I can see with a realistic chance is Belgrade and he needs to really step forward with this class jump. I guess Giant Game could be better but I hated that last race. Supposedly he displaced his palate. He looks to be in a good spot here but he needs to improve to be a player.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
The race is Classic Causeway's to win if he can maintain his form in the Sam F. Davis. The race will be all about pace, so Giant Game has a shot after having a corrective procedure to a displaced palate that he suffered from in the Holy Bull. If Shipsensational is going to be in contention, he's going to need a much better trip this time and be more forwardly placed than he was in the Sam F. Davis. Manuel Franco rides after Castellano got the boot after that 2nd place finish. While Major General might be undefeated in two starts, I'm not seeing anything in his works that he could be a real factor in this race. I like how Happy Boy Rocket looked down the stretch in his maiden at GP in late Jan., but obviously he's going to need a big effort with this competition in the TB Derby.

I'm willing to give Giant Game another shot and will use him in the ex. and tri. along with Classic Causeway and Shipsensational. Let's hope Dale Romans can work some magic, when he's had a tough time in big graded stakes races. Giant Game has the early speed that he will be dueling with Classic Causeway for the pace. Giant Game's last two works have been solid, going 5f in 0:59.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:51 am 

That was an impressive run for Causeway sans the little bolt out at the top of the turn. Ortiz probably didn't even need to bring out the whip - when he set him down for the drive that horse accelerated like a pro.

Shipsational got a terrible ride in that race. 4-5 wide throughout and still looked to have some run at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
That was an impressive run for Causeway sans the little bolt out at the top of the turn. Ortiz probably didn't even need to bring out the whip - when he set him down for the drive that horse accelerated like a pro.

Shipsational got a terrible ride in that race. 4-5 wide throughout and still looked to have some run at the end.

He sure wasn't tested in there but I do question the quality of that field. I think the numbers are going to come back less than great.

As far as I'm concerned the top Derby contenders right now are Mo Donegal and Zandon. I consider Ethereal Road a sleeper. He's come a long way in just a couple races but Lukas certainly knows how to win the Derby. Mandella's horse has been impressive in California but he gets to face short fields and I have some questions about his ability to get the classic distance. It seems like both he and Classic Causeway only know one way and something has to give if and when they meet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

He sure wasn't tested in there but I do question the quality of that field. I think the numbers are going to come back less than great.

As far as I'm concerned the top Derby contenders right now are Mo Donegal and Zandon. I consider Ethereal Road a sleeper. He's come a long way in just a couple races but Lukas certainly knows how to win the Derby. Mandella's horse has been impressive in California but he gets to face short fields and I have some questions about his ability to get the classic distance. It seems like both he and Classic Causeway only know one way and something has to give if and when they meet.

The way Causeway ran he looked like he could be rated. He just seemed easy on the front and never pressed even when horses came to him. His style reminded me of Big Brown - shoots out of the gate and really gets comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I don't like that Mo Donegal missed the FoY...I still like him going forward, maybe in the Wood? Would love to see Shipsational get a good trip in one of these to see if he's good, or just good at finding trouble...I like both Kelly Breen's In Due time and Chad brown's Early Voting right now...should be a fun couple weeks

What do you guys think of Smile Happy or Simplification...not sure if I've seen enough of either...thoughts???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I don't like that Mo Donegal missed the FoY...I still like him going forward, maybe in the Wood? Would love to see Shipsational get a good trip in one of these to see if he's good, or just good at finding trouble...I like both Kelly Breen's In Due time and Chad brown's Early Voting right now...should be a fun couple weeks

What do you guys think of Smile Happy or Simplification...not sure if I've seen enough of either...thoughts???

My man John Doyle from OptixEQ is friends with Mo Donegal's owners. They weren't set on going in the FOY. They entered to see how the race would come up and when he drew the 12 hole they scratched. I'm guessing he wins the Florida Derby. He for sure has a good chance.

I'm not so high on Smile Happy but I think Simplification has earned respect. Probably the best thing that happened to him was getting away bad in the Holy Bull.