It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KENTUCKY DERBY 2022
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
This is why he never mentioned him...this drone shot is sensational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu730vLeSzU

Also curious what the regular (and irregular for that matter) gamblers think about fixed odds wagering...good read here about an experiment at one track for Derby day

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/f ... JM.twitter

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
This is why he never mentioned him...this drone shot is sensational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu730vLeSzU

Also curious what the regular (and irregular for that matter) gamblers think about fixed odds wagering...good read here about an experiment at one track for Derby day

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/f ... JM.twitter

https://twitter.com/capjack2000/status/ ... i1lumNR48g

I like betting on horse racing but this guy sums it up for me. Sports betting has been far more profitable for me especially with more windows open now.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Here's a nasty twist. So, there were several two day wagers available, an Oaks/Derby Double, an Oaks/Turf Classic/Derby Pick 3, and a two day Pick Six. Anyone who bet prior to scratch time on Friday and hit the "ALL" button on the Derby is not getting paid. This is one of the worst gambling stories I have ever heard. Certainly far worse than the inadvertent scratch and subsequent win during last year's Breeder's Cup.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:32 am 
Site Admin

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Also curious what the regular (and irregular for that matter) gamblers think about fixed odds wagering.

Here's the problem with fixed odds wagering. It will be just like sports betting, i.e. no winners allowed. And it will wreck the parimutuel pools by draining them of losing money.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:32 am 

I wondered about that. I saw a will pay that was like $973 to Rich Strike on the Oaks DD. But I can’t imagine anyone cashing that unless they hit ALL for the derby leg. The fact that you don’t get to cash that because you made the ticket prior to the scratches on Friday invents a new kind of sick feeling that would have made me lose sleep. Because that ticket would’ve cost a bunch to put through.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:22 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
It was a great call by Travis Stone. He wanted to say "Oh my God" but said "goodness" instead.

He didn’t even mention Rich Strike until the final 5 seconds .

There wasn't a reason to.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
was surprised he didn't bite the horses while passing them

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

billypootons wrote:
was surprised he didn't bite the horses while passing them

That happens on occasion. It's called "savaging."

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -in-forego

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It's called having the fire and the passion, or TWTW.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:06 am 
1000 CLUB

I thought it was a cool moment watching this race from the overhead view.

Jockey made two slick moves. One to get outside. That was really slick. Then another to get back to the rail.

After that first move the jockey was saying to the horse, "Ok, nobody knows who the hell we are, but lets try to do this."

It was bad ass how that horse ran those two leaders down. He ran like a bat out of hell down the stretch. I loved it. Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:55 am 
Site Admin

I've watched this race probably close to 100 times now. When I watch a race I'm looking at ears and tails a lot of the time. When Rich Strike is put to a drive to go after Epicenter and Zandon his ears are scissoring as he's "looking" for challenges from everywhere. The other two horses have their ears pinned. They're tired and focusing on each other.

I thought a key moment in the race was at 1:38 in this video where Rich Strike moves Simplification out of his way and comes between that one and a tired Classic Causeway who should not have started in this spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYD42DV3Ro

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I've watched this race probably close to 100 times now. When I watch a race I'm looking at ears and tails a lot of the time.

Not much different than NFL combine scouts .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I've watched this race probably close to 100 times now. When I watch a race I'm looking at ears and tails a lot of the time. When Rich Strike is put to a drive to go after Epicenter and Zandon his ears are scissoring as he's "looking" for challenges from everywhere. The other two horses have their ears pinned. They're tired and focusing on each other.

I thought a key moment in the race was at 1:38 in this video where Rich Strike moves Simplification out of his way and comes between that one and a tired Classic Causeway who should not have started in this spot:

Great ride by Leon on this horse. Made all the right moves to not get boxed in or blocked when he had a ton of horse.

For me, the key was the half fraction - 45 and change set this up for a horse way back. When I saw that I knew I was cooked (I was on Messier who was up close) and wondered if Mo Donegal or another closer would get the piece.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Great ride by Leon on this horse. Made all the right moves to not get boxed in or blocked when he had a ton of horse.

For me, the key was the half fraction - 45 and change set this up for a horse way back. When I saw that I knew I was cooked (I was on Messier who was up close) and wondered if Mo Donegal or another closer would get the piece.

Yeah, I figured there would be a hot pace. I just didn't think it would be Rich Strike taking advantage of it.

Leon gave the horse a perfect steer. That was something Mo Donegal didn't enjoy. I'm pretty convinced if he doesn't get injured in the meantime, that Mo Donegal is going to cakewalk the Belmont.

I'm disappointed in Zandon. I thought he got a great steer from Prat and had a perfect set-up and he still couldn't work past Epicenter who was closer to the pace than he was.

Another horse that ran a big race but who isn't going to look like much on paper is White Abarrio. Gaffalione had him four and five wide the entire race. I wish he were coming back for the Preakness.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:24 am 

Is Rich Strike just amazing story that is a one hit wonder? Or can he win more races?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Is Rich Strike just amazing story that is a one hit wonder? Or can he win more races?

He can certainly win more races. But I'd be surprised if he won one of the other Triple Crown races. He might be the favorite in the Iowa Derby.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Messier will probably win the Queen's Plate.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He can certainly win more races. But I'd be surprised if he won one of the other Triple Crown races. He might be the favorite in the Iowa Derby.

I'm dubious of this win...just my opinion but (other than an historic early pace) that kind of jump in speed numbers is, odd

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 am 
Site Admin

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I'm dubious of this win...just my opinion but (other than an historic early pace) that kind of jump in speed numbers is, odd

I think this is a pretty talented horse. I started watching him after he won the race that Reed claimed him out of. He got an A- Optix Grade in that race. Most horses never get an A-. Still, it was in a maiden claimer. But then he followed it up with a B Optix Grade in an optional claiming allowance at Keeneland. I bet him in the next three races and I was disappointed. Then he ran a big race in the Jeff Ruby.

Look at the notes on him. This is a horse I could have easily bet if it weren't the Kentucky Derby. I just really thought he was outclassed. Plus he was gonna have to pass a whole lot of horses. But horses often put up speed figures 7-10 points higher and sometimes even more than that after receiving the green keyword "IMPROVE". He ran a 95 in the Ruby. The projected range for the Derby was 107-101. He ended up picking up 9 points off the "IMPROVE" note and winning with a 104. Plus he had the additional note "STRETCH" and a + GALLOP OUT and obviously the added distance didn't hurt him. His best future is probably on the turf where he can go in longer routes.

If you're into breeding, he's from the Raise A Native sire line which yields a greater than expected percentage of Derby winners.

As I'm running this down, I'm asking why the hell I didn't bet him or even use him in gimmicks and multis. This is a tough fucking game.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Good horsey. Good boy. Here's an apple. In two months your entire job will consist of fucking.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:32 am 

Nardi wrote:
Good horsey. Good boy. Here's an apple. In two months your entire job will consist of fucking.

Nice work, if you can get it.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Being 69 with a good memory remember JOR love for Orb ( a much better horse IMHO than Rich Strikes ) last win was the Derby. Me being a big horses for courses angle guy no one has mention he broke his maiden CD with a 17 length win :shock:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:58 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Being 69 with a good memory remember JOR love for Orb ( a much better horse IMHO than Rich Strikes ) last win was the Derby. Me being a big horses for courses angle guy no one has mention he broke his maiden CD with a 17 length win :shock:

Go For Gin was similar in 94 - Tabasco Cat got a check and Holy Bull ran up the track in the slop but there was really no other horses of note. I don't think Go For Gin won another race either.