It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 US Open
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-go ... hurst-no-2

This year's US Open will feature the longest par 4 in US Open history, at 528 yards.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject: Re: 2014 US Open
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
How can they make a hole that long be a par 4? Make rules regarding equipment, dont turn the courses into monstrosities.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hank Scorpio wrote:
How can they make a hole that long be a par 4? Make rules regarding equipment, dont turn the courses into monstrosities.

I don't have a problem with that at all. Its driver, 5 iron for most of them, maybe driver, hybrid. It will be nice to see the pros have to go at greens with the same clubs I do on long par 4s.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I agree. We're going to see a 700 yard par 5 before long. Its pretty insane.

I know they can hit far, shakes, but these guys are going to have to hit nearly perfect drives and perfect hybrids to even have a chance at par. I'm all for making the US Open tough, but at least give guys a relatively good chance at making a par if they hit 2 good shots. Last year at Merion there were guys hitting driver on a par 3. Thats insanity. Professional or not, nobody should ever have to hit driver on a par 3. Personally I'd rather see elevation changes and water hazards come into play more than length.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I know they can hit far, shakes, but these guys are going to have to hit nearly perfect drives and perfect hybrids to even have a chance at par. I'm all for making the US Open tough, but at least give guys a relatively good chance at making a par if they hit 2 good shots. Last year at Merion there were guys hitting driver on a par 3. Thats insanity. Professional or not, nobody should ever have to hit driver on a par 3. Personally I'd rather see elevation changes and water hazards come into play more than length.

If the hole is downhill it is a moot point.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Golf Club of Illinois up in Dundee or something has one that's like 680 from the tip with woods just off the right side of the fairway. I don't think I've ever even made it in 3.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:29 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Its the US Open, they should have to hit a lot more than 2 perfect shots in a row to win it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I don't want to see -15 at the US Open, but I don't really care to see +5 either. At least make it somewhat fair is all I'm saying. Sounds like that is going to happen somewhat as there will be almost no rough;
Quote:
Instead of narrow alleyways for fairways lined by dense ankle-high grass as is typical for a U.S. Open, there will be wider routes bordered by expansive sandy "waste" areas, native grasses and pine straw. There certainly won't be the multiple cuts of roughs as seen in many previous U.S. Opens.

"Your chance of getting a few of those 'green-light lies' at Pinehurst is going to be greater, versus always being in rough where you're going to have grass between your club and ball and not being able to control your distance or your spin," USGA executive director Mike Davis told Cybergolf's Dave Droschak last June.

On Monday, during the U.S. Open Championship media day in Pinehurst, N.C., Davis commented on the same subject: "There are only two mowing heights out there. There will be the height they cut the fairways and the height they cut the greens. We've never encountered something like that for a U.S. Open."

Davis also clarified how the two different sandy areas will be treated by officials. "We will play bunkers as bunkers. So they will be hazards. The other sandy wire-grass areas that have other types of vegetation will just be through the green. So in those areas the player can ground his or her club, can remove loose impediments."

Davis believes the revised Pinehurst No. 2 will allow a variety of golf shots. "We're going to make sure those sandy areas have all kinds of different shots," Davis told Droschak last year. "If you hit your ball into one of those areas you are not always going to like what you get. There may be some softer sand that has some footprints in it that make a shot very hard, there are going to be pine needles in it, there is going to be some hardpan, you may roll right up against some wire grass."
http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/pine ... _us_womens

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
DannyB wrote:
Golf Club of Illinois up in Dundee or something has one that's like 680 from the tip with woods just off the right side of the fairway. I don't think I've ever even made it in 3.

With a prevailing wind that pushes everything to the right and fescue up the entire left side. Yeah, that hole is brutal.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't want to see -15 at the US Open, but I don't really care to see +5 either. At least make it somewhat fair is all I'm saying. Sounds like that is going to happen somewhat as there will be almost no rough;

Why is it unfair to have to hit driver/hybrid on a par 4??? These are the best players in the world, they should be able to make those shots. If we have to do that several times a round there's no reason they can't be expected to do it on occassion. I want to see the pros test every shot in the bag and the one shot that is tested least often is the long iron/hybrid/fairway wood into a green.

The fact that there's no rough makes it even more fair to force the pros to go into greens with long irons/hybrids.

That really sucks about the rough, that's one of the things that Merion so awesome last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
We're going to see a 700 yard par 5 before long. Its pretty insane.

The US Open at Olympic had a par 5 that was 670 yards.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way