It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ugie, what are your thoughts on that new Cobra driver? Got some nice reviews and sounds like a solid club. I was really intrigued by
the idea of preloading a tracking device in it. I could completely see a club manufacturer putting these in your clubs from the beginning
and being able to track your stats out of the box on your phone or computer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
T-Bone wrote:
Ugie, what are your thoughts on that new Cobra driver? Got some nice reviews and sounds like a solid club. I was really intrigued by
the idea of preloading a tracking device in it. I could completely see a club manufacturer putting these in your clubs from the beginning
and being able to track your stats out of the box on your phone or computer.

Haven't had the chance to test it just yet. I have it ready to go this weekend.

Cobra has hit multiple homeruns lately with their metalwoods. I played their KING LTD driver all last year and loved it. After testing the Callaway EPIC, however, I'm making a switch (can't argue with 11 more yards off the tee). Of course, I haven't tried the KING F7 yet. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:34 pm 

My dad in in the process of moving and downsizing. Getting rid of a lot of stuff he can't or won't use at the new place. I'll be
getting his very lightly used ClicGear push cart. I have been using mine for the past 3 years and love it but was ready to give
that one to my wife and get an upgraded version.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 pm 

I put the Tiger comment in the wrong thread. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
T-Bone wrote:
My dad in in the process of moving and downsizing. Getting rid of a lot of stuff he can't or won't use at the new place. I'll be
getting his very lightly used ClicGear push cart. I have been using mine for the past 3 years and love it but was ready to give
that one to my wife and get an upgraded version.

I am definitely buying something like that this year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Anyone going to try and sneak out and get a round in next weekend? Supposed to be 55.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Going to go out tomorrow. before or after a visit to the Tinley Park Golf Expo. Anybody going or have been to this thing?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Walked 18 with Don's Piracy today at methane Meadows. Course is pretty beat up as usual, but it was only very mushy in a couple of spots. Don has improved on his game quite a bit. If we can get him consistent off the tee, and chipping around the greens, I think he could be a low- mid 90s shooter pretty easily. He is using an old Furious hybrid, and he had several really good shots with that.

Tee to green I hit the ball pretty well all day long for the most part. The highlight was a dog leg par-5 that I was able to cut the corner on, And put a five iron about 20 feet from the hole. I was able to 2 putt for a birdie. Wheels sort of fell off at the end as I had a double and a triple the third and fourth to last holes. Finished 42-45. Very pleased with the way I am hitting the ball. I dont know what Don had on the back. He had a 52 on the front. I felt like he hit the ball a lot better than that. I think 2 lost drives early on hurt him.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
He is using an old Furious hybrid, and he had several really good shots with that.

That's a nice club. Underrated Mizuno head with an Accra shaft. Total bomber, I just couldn't find room in my bag.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Don duffed it a couple times, but had some great recoveries as well. I think it was the second hole (#11, we started on 10) where he put it on the green after a lost drive. A long hole at that, 440 yard par 4.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
There were hits and misses. Getting solid confidence using the hybrid as the second/recovery shot.

Just trying to hit the driver too hard. I hope I can recover from exposure to that much goose shit. A good time indeed and great weather for mid February.

Besides the glacier on the 7th green, wasnt too bad of a surface.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I just bought a 4 hybrid, which will be replacing my 4 iron.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Any of you knuckleheads feel like getting out this weekend? Supposed to be nice weather...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:01 am 
100000 CLUB

I'd love to, but I'm not sure I will have the time. 9 holes early might be my only option.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
In Mexico last week I ended up becoming part of a regular daily beach volleyball game (which btw, great workout) and one of the couples playing was this French Canadien married pair and the woman was this really tall athletic blonde. Not much of a volleyball player, but turns out she's got other skills. Her name is MJ Rouleau, former LPGA player and one of the all time great Canadien women golfers. Only played a couple years on the LPGA, but had a long career in Europe and Canada. She's the winningnest woman on the Canadien tour and was now runs a teaching academy. Was named Canadien teaching pro of the year 3x.

Pretty cool, but really wanted to get her on the course and get a lesson, but no opportunities.

http://mjrouleau.com/en/about/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:24 am 

Looks like I'm playing Stonewall Orchard at noon on Saturday. I'm stoked!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:22 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

great course, but can't imagine the shape it will be in Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:55 am 

Played Shepherds Crook yesterday for $29. The course was actually in pretty good shape, it drains well. Was extremely
happy with the way I played. I hit three wedges really fat but other than that played very well. Got to test out my two
new clubs and was happy with those too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 am 
100000 CLUB

Played 18 at Stony Creek in Oak Lawn on Friday afternoon. Happy with the front (39). Parred #10, Birdied #14 and finished with back to back pars. The other 5 holes on the back were a mess, as I finished with a 44 (par is 33 on both sides). The greens had been cut and rolled so I chipped and putted a lot better than I had my two previous winter rounds. Was not as crisp with the irons, and driver was good. I'm not sure I have ever been able to play February golf before, and I certainly have not had 3 rounds under my belt before President's Day. Was out there with my Dad, and he used to play winter golf all the time when I was a youngun. He thinks that this might have been his first February round in 20 or 25 years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Walked 18 at Cantigny yesterday. Hadn't walked 18 holes since high school. I'm paying for it today.

Love the new Callaway Epic driver. hit my longest drives of my life on a day that offered no roll in the fairways. I can't wait until the Spring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 am 

Hit the range at Des Plaines Saturday night. Not bad. Shanked my first few irons, but then remembered my swing and hit the rest of the irons damn near perfect. Hybrids were a struggle, slicing all of them, but by the end they were going almost straight. Driver is still a mess, but once again by the end they were only slicing a little.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:12 pm 

Took my new driver and 4 iron in to Dicks to get mid sized MCC4 grips to match the rest of my clubs. I brought a back up putter as well. I went to my back up Scotty last year for one practice session but hated it. Felt awful to me. I loved this really old Ping I had but it felt way too light. It has a really soft face but the hollow feel wasn't right. Super Stroke now offers counter balanced weighted grips in many popular sizes. I am getting a 3.0 Slim put on there for the hell of it. I haven't been a huge fan of counter balanced putters I've tried in the past but I have a hunch this solution may be a game changer. I'm hoping it gives my current Scotty a run for its money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Took my new driver and 4 iron in to Dicks to get mid sized MCC4 grips to match the rest of my clubs. I brought a back up putter as well. I went to my back up Scotty last year for one practice session but hated it. Felt awful to me. I loved this really old Ping I had but it felt way too light. It has a really soft face but the hollow feel wasn't right. Super Stroke now offers counter balanced weighted grips in many popular sizes. I am getting a 3.0 Slim put on there for the hell of it. I haven't been a huge fan of counter balanced putters I've tried in the past but I have a hunch this solution may be a game changer. I'm hoping it gives my current Scotty a run for its money.

Counter-balancing is catching on again among pros and amateurs alike. Equipment companies are catching on, too, since more are offering it as an option. I've never been a BIG FAN of counterbalance on my irons, but putters seem to benefit from the tech.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 pm 

shakes wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It was cart path only. Can't believe how beat I was from all the walking. Otherwise, it wasnt in bad shape.

On Monday I played White Deer Run...considering it's February, it was in fantastic shape.

Both courses were goose shit city.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
shakes wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It was cart path only. Can't believe how beat I was from all the walking. Otherwise, it wasnt in bad shape.

On Monday I played White Deer Run...considering it's February, it was in fantastic shape.

Both courses were goose shit city.

Played Stonewall last year with Furious and yeah, I imagine that would have been quite a walk. I'd like to take another
run at that place at some point now that I understand the layout a little bit better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:46 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Counter-balancing is catching on again among pros and amateurs alike. Equipment companies are catching on, too, since more are offering it as an option. I've never been a BIG FAN of counterbalance on my irons, but putters seem to benefit from the tech.

I tested some counter balanced putters a few years back and didn't like the feel at all. I just thought it was worth taking a flyer on a really
light putter that I love the set up and face feel on. Will be tough to unseat my current Scotty Cameron. I had no idea it was a thing in irons.
That has to feel very odd but I could see it maybe working well for senior players with slower swing speeds. Just don't know enough about the
science behind it I guess. I've always been more of a feel player than an actual technician.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
I tested some counter balanced putters a few years back and didn't like the feel at all. I just thought it was worth taking a flyer on a really
light putter that I love the set up and face feel on. Will be tough to unseat my current Scotty Cameron. I had no idea it was a thing in irons.
That has to feel very odd but I could see it maybe working well for senior players with slower swing speeds. Just don't know enough about the
science behind it I guess. I've always been more of a feel player than an actual technician.

Jack counter-balanced his irons with lead weights inserted into his golf grips back in the day. For whatever reason he preferred the feel of a heavier grip to counteract what were somewhat heavier clubheads in his gamers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Jack counter-balanced his irons with lead weights inserted into his golf grips back in the day. For whatever reason he preferred the feel of a heavier grip to counteract what were somewhat heavier clubheads in his gamers.

Interesting. I had no idea. I've played around with lead tape on my putters back in the day but with little success. I see a lot of guys on tour
taping up particular irons and woods. I'm actually a little surprised it is even legal. I have a package of lead tape in my golf cave that has been
sitting useless for almost 10 years now. Like I said, I don't know enough about taping and weighting to help me in the least.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:

Interesting. I had no idea. I've played around with lead tape on my putters back in the day but with little success. I see a lot of guys on tour
taping up particular irons and woods. I'm actually a little surprised it is even legal. I have a package of lead tape in my golf cave that has been
sitting useless for almost 10 years now. Like I said, I don't know enough about taping and weighting to help me in the least.

Oh man, you and I could talk about this for hours. I'll try to be brief for now:

Swing weight and club weight are completely different animals. Swing weight measures the distribution of a golf club’s weight, rather than a club’s actual weight. A club with a heavier clubhead will have a higher swing weight while a club with a heavier grip-end will have a lower swing weight. Think of it like a pendulum or a ball on a string: wherever the weight is heaviest, that will be where the "club" could swing fastest.

So, adding lead tape to your clubhead will increase the swing weight of your club, which can lead to higher swing speeds. That's why most TOUR pros use it. (Note: adding lead tape to the heel or toe of the club will not change the shot-shape bias -- draw or fade -- as much as one would think)

However, if you've recently switched to a lighter shaft, the clubhead might feel too heavy. That's where inserting lead into the grip can further decrease swing weight, which helps with feel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Oh man, you and I could talk about this for hours. I'll try to be brief for now:

Swing weight and club weight are completely different animals. Swing weight measures the distribution of a golf club’s weight, rather than a club’s actual weight. A club with a heavier clubhead will have a higher swing weight while a club with a heavier grip-end will have a lower swing weight. Think of it like a pendulum or a ball on a string: wherever the weight is heaviest, that will be where the "club" could swing fastest.

So, adding lead tape to your clubhead will increase the swing weight of your club, which can lead to higher swing speeds. That's why most TOUR pros use it. (Note: adding lead tape to the heel or toe of the club will not change the shot-shape bias -- draw or fade -- as much as one would think)

However, if you've recently switched to a lighter shaft, the clubhead might feel too heavy. That's where inserting lead into the grip can further decrease swing weight, which helps with feel.

Good stuff. I think you dumbed it down enough for me to grasp the concept. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next