It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That is terrible. Did they give you a rain check or something?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Playing 9 holes early tomorrow. Hoping for nobody else out there so I can play two balls and maybe practice some extra chips & putts. Its a par 35 course, so being under 45 with at least one ball would be a nice goal to achieve.

51-44. I putted great (four 1 putts and zero 3 putts), but almost everything else was pretty bad. Had a stretch of 3 pars in 4 holes with the second ball. I am snap hooking my drives almost all the time, and pulling my irons maybe 1/3 of the time. It has been a pretty dreadful start to the season for me :(

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Frank Coztansa wrote:

At that point I didn't care. I ate the cost and walked off. Just brutal.

Been really struggling with the game early this season. Granted, hitting a shot once every 10 minutes is awful, but I can't blame it all on pace of play. Been watching a lot of Sam Goulden's videos on YouTube, specifically about the square-to-square golf swing:

[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dci0NUs7YMI[/url]

Might give this a try.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Going to try to hit the range tomorrow to iron out some things. I started the season well and then now I am in a space where all the
bad habits are rearing their ugly head and I am trying to make changes on the fly. Yesterday I shot an 86 with three double bogeys
and two triples. I think I just need to spend 90 minutes on the range with a large bucket or two and get my swing thoughts pared
down to a consistent pre shot routine and swing path. It will work out long term, this is just always the toughest part of the golf
season when you have 10 rounds under your belt and start hitting it everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

At that point I didn't care. I ate the cost and walked off. Just brutal.

Been really struggling with the game early this season. Granted, hitting a shot once every 10 minutes is awful, but I can't blame it all on pace of play. Been watching a lot of Sam Goulden's videos on YouTube, specifically about the square-to-square golf swing:

[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dci0NUs7YMI[/url]

Might give this a try.

That's an interesting video. I'll be giving it a shot, next trip to the range.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Apparently TaylorMade is rolling out an upgrade plan for their golf equipment. Think cell phone early upgrade payment plans.

If you are releasing golf equipment frequently enough to offer a monthly upgrade plan, you're doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Had a lesson yesterday. I'm still not fixed. Guy wants to get me on a trackman next just to see how bad the numbers are. Spoiler alert, they're really shitty. Don't need a machine to tell me I'm way over the top and my face is open, but he wants to know which issue is greater per the numbers.

He did get me to change my iron swing and stop coming in steep and from over the top and he's hoping that changing that will eventually help me make that same change in my driver.

Basically what it comes down to is we are working on getting me to stop swinging my clubs in fear which is basically the motivation behind my current swing. Fear of shanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hit a bucket at the range earlier today and there was some progress. I think I figured out that I was standing a little too far away from the ball, especially with the driver. Once I inched closer to the ball, the shots were much better overall. I did not hit my long irons well at all, so there is still some sort of hitch in my swing. Got an 8am tee time Friday if the weather holds out, so I am hoping for better shots and maybe a low 90s score if it all works out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:02 pm 

Apparently TaylorMade is rolling out an upgrade plan for their golf equipment. Think cell phone early upgrade payment plans.

If you are releasing golf equipment frequently enough to offer a monthly upgrade plan, you're doing it wrong.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 pm 

Got out of work early and played 18 at the shorter course on my rotation. Really trying to
Get back to basics. I was hooking the ball too much. Dialed down the swing to 90% and lighten
The grip. Was strangling it and trying to kill the ball. Results much better. I went to the
Putting green yesterday and adjusted my grip and stance and also found better results.
Supposed to play in a scramble tournament this Saturday and not sure if we will get rained
Out or not. I think taking the tension out of the swing is helping me swing through it down
The line better instead of closing the face and turning left too soon. Still work to do but it's
Better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:22 am 

First time out after the lesson last night in my golf league. Really happy with the way I hit everything except the driver, I picked up the swing changes faster than I would've imagined. Nice to see the ball draw for a change.

Driver is still a mess, 3/7 shots were OB (2 slice, 1 top) and ended up with a 45.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:18 am 
100000 CLUB

Played myself at Broken Arrow this morning. Parred the 1st hole, and did fairly well and the rest of the front nine. Ended up with a 45.

Started the back 9 with back-to-back doubles, but then birdied a Par 3 after I putt a gap wedge to about 4'. But that is when the carnage really started and by the time I one putted the 18th hole for a 10, I walked off the green with a resounding 107 on the day. 62 on the back with a bird. Fucking brutal :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Played myself at Broken Arrow this morning.

I shoulda stayed home, and played with myself.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 am 
100000 CLUB

#Truth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Furious Styles wrote:
We hit Nashville on Friday around 11:00 and tee off at 12:50 for a warmup round at Ray Floyd's course:

Lunch before the round at Willie Mae's a few miles away:

We hit up Willie Mae's shortly after they opened at 11. Decent crowd already. Basic menu - I had the brisket on Texas toast with mac/cheese and green beans. It was out of this world. Subtle taste and the meat just melted in your mouth.

The Legacy was a really great value at $36. Bermuda greens and tees, which was unexpected. Perfect for warm-up round.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:51 am 

Furious Styles wrote:

Saturday - Hampton Cove - 36 holes

Sunday - The Shoals - 36 holes

First, It's pretty crazy how the weather changes down there. The forecast went back and forth, but all 3 days were impacted by rain to an extent.

The RTJ courses are first rate. I really like how they focus on golf - the 10th hole immediately follows the 9th, so no stopping at the clubhouse bullshit. We did unlimited golf/range for $130/day. I definitely recommend playing the more challenging 18 in the morning and then relax/commit to alcohol in the afternoon. Played the hybrid tees at 6400 most of the time; otherwise, you are playing 7200+, 6800+ or 6100-6200.

We started with Hampton Cove in the Huntsville/Research Park area. Did the River course first. No sand, but water on 16 of 18 holes. No rough on the course and any shot that was off by even a foot would roll back into the water. Really has to think your way around the course. Played well, really had my driver dialed t in for accuracy. Chipped in for birdie and shot an 83.

Played the Highlands course - very much links style with a ton of bunkers. One of my buddies rarely plays and really took to my driver. Gets some of my hand-me-down gear and probably would have inherited this one.

Except he broke it on the 4th hole. Right in the transition when he loaded the shaft, it snapped right below the grip even before he hit the ball. Never seen anything like it. Wonder how long the driver was compromised because I was hitting it ridiculously straight up until then. Oh well, served me well for 8 years.

What sucked was I had to use my buddy's Ping G30. I instantly gained 15+ yds. but it just wanted to go right in a big way. Had to make a conscious effort to keep the head closed, which crept into my other clubs. Ended up with an 88.

The Shoals Golf Club was up next in the Muscle Shoals/Florence AL area. Did the Fighting Joe course first. One of the most badass golf courses I have ever played - 8000 yds. from the tips and a complete mindfuck from 6400 yds. Disaster lurks on every tee shot and approach - the architecture between the sand and water completely messed with me like no other course. I couldn't control the G30 very well - add in that my jackass friends dragged their asses getting to the course so there was almost no warm-up time and I ended up struggling my way to a 98. Easily 8+ water balls.

Not too many people out on the course with the rain. At one point we noticed some dude standing up in the woods watching us. Then we spotted like 6-8 more all over. Pretty creepy until we realized they were waiting for us to finish the hole so they could head down to the ponds and fish. They began pulling out largemouth bass left and right. Must be some kind of understanding they have with course. Played the Schoolmaster in the afternoon, got back on track somewhat with an 87.

I want another shot at the Fighting Joe and seriously considering a trip in the fall. Ten hour drive and Florence is a really cool small town.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:34 am 

Sounds awesome. Sorry to hear about the driver, frustrating to have one dialed in and then lose it.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 pm 

New-to-me driver should arrive today. 2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha. First experience with an adjustable club. Loft, lie, draw/fade and even lauch/spin rate adjustability via the Gravity Core. Similar Fubuki shaft similar to what I was using. $110 shipped w/headcover and tool included.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
New-to-me driver should arrive today. 2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha. First experience with an adjustable club. Loft, lie, draw/fade and even lauch/spin rate adjustability via the Gravity Core. Similar Fubuki shaft similar to what I was using. $110 shipped w/headcover and tool included.

What size head and loft? Good luck with the adjustable business. I've never had any luck changing all of that stuff on previous clubs I've owned.
I'm tempted to add a little loft to my 8.5 Titleist 915 but it has none of the weights on the bottom or side of the club to adjust.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:20 pm 

It's a 460cc head and 10.5 degrees. +2 and -1 as far as loft adjustment. Not sure about weights and lie but the Gravity Core seems cool for adjusting the internal weight/center of gravity. 10.5 neutral head that is slightly closed works best for me. The Alpha is more of a player's head, so my only concern is forgiveness.

I bought a 3W in the non-Alpha version to see how that works. Donspiracy will inherit the old Mizuno 3 dub. Going to get properly fitted for a driver at the end of the season, with Callaway and Srixon the leading contenders.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

I played that driver for about a year when it came out and loved it.

Remember kids: effective loft is the most important element of club adjustability. For example, if you add loft to the club, you also open the face. The opposite is also true.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:17 pm 

Here is a review of the club. The gravity core allows for spin adjustment independent of launch angle.

http://www.golfwrx.com/172649/review-ca ... a-drivers/

Remember kids: effective loft is the most important element of club adjustability. For example, if you add loft to the club, you also open the face. The opposite is also true.

Isn't it the other way around? I know with wedges an open face adds loft, but I thought adding loft would close the face on an adjustable driver or closing the face angle would add loft.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dammit you're right. I got my thingies mixed up. Also, it's "dynamic loft".

Add loft = close face = draw bias

Decrease loft = open face = fade bias

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Ugie, you just found your co-host.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 am 

Furious Styles wrote:

It's a good thing you bought the Callaway Alpha. Sounds like shakes has the Callaway Beta in his bag.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 am 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
It's a good thing you bought the Callaway Alpha. Sounds like shakes has the Callaway Beta in his bag.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 am 

:lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 am 

Nothing more alpha than a warrior with 7 spine surgeries going out and playing golf. Tiger is my bitch.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 am 

Took a flyer on getting out last night figuring the course would be empty. Managed to walk 18 in 2:45 minutes. No small feat on a
long course that was pretty wet. Continue to hit the ball very inconsistently, not sure if it is the weather or me ( me obviously ).
Probably just need a range session with about 200 balls to try to iron some things out. Mostly out there for the exercise this time of
year anyway. Surprisingly I am on the same pace as last year with number of rounds. Gives me an outside chance of hitting my goal.

Last edited by T-Bone on Thu May 04, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:30 am 

Going to the range tonight to pound a few buckets and maybe monkey a bit with the driver settings. Will be cool outside, but looking
forward to it. It would appear that I am going to potentially have to dial the driver down from 8.5 to 7.5 degrees in hopes of opening
up the face slightly. That may be interesting, I hit the ball high enough where it shouldn't matter too much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next