It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes wrote:
I've only ever seen old men using them on the course.

This is what happens when you play from the forward tees.

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
I've always wanted to try one of those just for fun. Saw they were selling about 20 of them at Dicks recently, didn't realize the market was so strong for the chipper.

Honestly though, I bet it would help out quite a lot of people who have trouble chipping around the green.

I am sure there is a market for them. I do almost all of my chipping from 25 yards and in with my putting grip anyway. Put an 8 iron in
your hand with your putting grip and you have the chipper pretty much.

Cleveland Niblicks were intriguing. I would totally go that route if I struggled with a traditional wedge. 42, 49, 56 degree lofts if I remember correctly.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
I've always wanted to try one of those just for fun. Saw they were selling about 20 of them at Dicks recently, didn't realize the market was so strong for the chipper.

Honestly though, I bet it would help out quite a lot of people who have trouble chipping around the green.

I am sure there is a market for them. I do almost all of my chipping from 25 yards and in with my putting grip anyway. Put an 8 iron in

I'm going to try that. Chipping is the worst part of my game.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Chus wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

I'm going to try that. Chipping is the worst part of my game.

Yeah I've been doing the chipping and short pitching with my putting grip forever. Helps me with the
feel and touch. It's worth a shot for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The best thing about yesterday was that we played our round at George Dunne (a notoriously slow course) in 4hr 45min....and we all played two balls on the par 3 17th

Limped off with a 106 after 6 more lost balls and a few shanked chips. Hit my irons decently, but pulled quite a few. Putted terribly. I hit 3 of the of the first 6 GIR and three putted them all.

My best shot/hole of the round was the 18th. ~250 carry over water. Since I had such a terrific round going, I figured screw it I'm just going to try to hit in the ball far as I can over the lake. There is a bailout section to the right but that really lengthens the hole. Hit a great drive and cleared the water by plenty, sand wedge to about 20 ft, and two putt for my second par of the day.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 am 

I could stare at this all day:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Shot 79-79-82 over the weekend. Feeling pretty good about my game right now. Handicap has been trending the right direction (ego-wise). Wish it would stay in double digits for my club $$ games though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Furious Styles wrote:
I could stare at this all day:

It does make you wonder what he could do with today's equipment on today's courses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:52 am 

Played last Thursday and Friday in the morning. Hit the ball well but continue to stumble on a hole or two and screw up the card. Highlight
was #17 on Thursday. Drilled a 3 wood on a challenging par four and had about 80 yards left. Hit a 3/4 sand wedge and it was headed
right for the pin. Took one bounce and clanged against the bottom of the pin stopping dead a few inches away. Hadn't hit a pin in a very
long time. Those are the kind of shots that are the reason I get up early on my days off and play.

Last edited by T-Bone on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Showed some improvement over the weekend. Started with a 97 with 15 shanks. Next time out I really focused on slowing down my tempo and shot a 86 with 5 shanks and lipped out 5 birdie putts. Never seen anything like that with the putter. Couldn't sink a putt, but putted really well. Yesterday played in a scramble and only 2 shanks all day and played really well, especially as the day went on and I got more confidence.

Really amazed at how well I'm hitting the new Epic driver. Didn't keep track of stats in the scramble, but in the 3 solo rounds with the Epic I've hit 32/40 fairways for a pretty impressive 80%. And the ones I've missed have been just off. Had a streak on Sunday where I hit the first 11 fairways and then missed by one foot on 17 to end the streak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Furious and I are playing Friday morning after I get the kids off to school. Glorious.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 pm 

Really loving this wedge. Sets up square vs. the rounded-edged Cleveland wedges I've played. Superb on fast greens.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 am 

Kind of the official start of the fall golf season. Looks like a really nice weekend up here in SE Wisconsin so going to enjoy some early
golf each morning and then dig into some football after chores around the house. Sitting at 50 rounds for the year and looking at the
calendar it would appear that getting to 60 for the year will happen. I signed up for a 2 man 27 hole tournament next Sunday with a
buddy that called me out of the blue so I hope that ends up being a good time and decent weather. An interesting format that looks
like one nine best ball, one nine alternate shot and one nine a net scramble.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:49 am 

Interesting round yesterday. Made a double on #4 and a bogey on #6 but over the next ten holes I
Made four birdies and got it to even par standing on the 18th tee. 350 yard dogleg left all over water.
You can cut the corner with a good 275 yard drive and I've put it on the green a few times so I
Was in a quandary. Wind was going right to left and a bit into me but decided to try to drive it and go
Over the water rather than play it safe. Little too much right to left and never had a chance. Made
Bogey. No regrets, I just thought I should give myself a chance to break par when it was there.
Back at it today on the more difficult if he two courses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:51 am 
100000 CLUB

A terrible 109 on Saturday at River Oaks, who's fairways haven't seen a drop of water in weeks. It was like hitting off of straw most holes. The only thing I did well was putt on the back 9, and stuck a few wedges in close to "save" 6's and 7's. Great weather, but a brutal scorecard. Might get a lesson or 5, might keep the clubs in the garage for a long time. About a month ago, I shot 87 at Coyote Run.
Haven't broken 100 since. The last two rounds in particular were not even fun :(

I did have the oddest bogey of my golf career. Short par 5, about 480 yards, our 17th hole of the day (its #8, we started on #10). Really the only drive I hit well all day bled on me a bit and rolled into the water. Dropped at the front of a pond on the right, and had about 220 to the green, about 170 to clear a pond on the left. Really struck a 5 iron well, but pulled it a bit and that was wet. Dropped another (hitting 5) about 80 yards out, and stuck a 60 degree to about 6". Not too often you have two lost balls and still manage a single bogey on the hole.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Finally broke through with my first shank-free round since 6/26 on Saturday. Played Sportsman which was in fantastic shape. 39 on the front with poor putting. Then a buddy joined me on the back and being the mental midget that I am my game instantly dropped off and I shot a 45 on the back, but still not gonna complain about the 84. Also walked 18 for the 2nd time this summer, this time made it through in one piece.

Unfortunately, the walking did a number on me later on and was very still and in pain all night and when I woke up. Decided to ride the wave and go play anyway, went to Ravisloe, the place where all my troubles started and I didn't even finish the front 9. Got paired up with a senior 3some who could all play, but played very slow and had trouble locating balls in the rough. I got off to a slow start with a double, but then a bogey and then a par so feeling good. Tehre was 2 some behind us and by hole 3 there was at least a full hole open in front of us. I suggested that to speed things up I should drop back and play with the 2 some. Hit my ball on the par 3 #4 (170 yard into the wind, hit a perfect 3 hybrid over flag and ended up 12 feet above the hole. Then waited for the 2some to catch up. Parred the hole, but then instantly fell apart as soon as I started playing with those guys. Shanked a wedge and then another and that was basically the end of my day. Was so bothered by the 2 shanks that I started hitting everything bad so called it quits after 9 holes and a 49. Back was throbbing and leg sciatica was burning the whole round anyway so didn't see the point in hangting around another 2.5 hours to complete the back.

One day I'll finish a round there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:02 pm 

Two doubles and three missed putts from about 3-4 ft out Sunday. Managed to eagle one of the par 5's so my usual uneven round totaled up to 77.
Haven't put up a round higher than 80 for 5 weeks so the consistency has been there, I just always seem to have at least two bad holes a
round.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 am 

Things are shaping up to look like an early afternoon round out at Shepherds Crook could happen today. Looks like a great day
to get out there and I haven't played it when the conditions are hard and fast yet this season. One of the most fun layouts in
the northern burbs and the greens are no joke when they are fast.

Edit -- I didn't hit the ball very well and the greens were tough as expected. Was almost a little too dry out there. Very difficult
to get the ball to stop on the green, not that I hit very many.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:40 am 

Just bought the same head/shaft combo driver on eBay that I currently play. 2011 technology for the win.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 am 
100000 CLUB

I am really really really bad at this game :cry: :x :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 am 

Played in that two man tournament yesterday and it was a little disappointing. Apparently the event brought in 3x more people
than played last year and they were not ready for that many folks. It was 27 holes. We started with 18 holes shotgun start with
one nine being scramble and the other best ball. Teed off at 10am sharp. Took over 5 hours to finish that portion. They had us
come back and hand in our cards and then regrouped us into 8-somes to play alternate shot on the final 9. Talk about a death
march. By the time it got to be almost 4:45pm my partner and I threw in the towel. We still had 4 holes left to play ( 90 minutes
I'd guess ) and we walked off the course . We played ok but not well enough to win. Made a few bogeys in the best ball portion and didn't
make enough birdie putts. I called over there this morning and -12 won it ( with handicap ). I'd never played one of these events before
with handicaps so we were pretty much out of it before we started. We were -1 for the day straight up with 4 holes to go in the alternate shot and
playing with a 4 handicap so I'm guessing we would have finished around -4 or -5 with the handicap. Was a nice day and great to
catch up with an old friend but that was just way too long to be out there, and with an hour drive left to get home I just wanted to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Can anyone recommend a decent course in NW Indiana? $50 or so range. My buddy and I are looking to play then hit up Three Floyd's after. Not seeing much on my golf discount sites. Thanks and have a blessed day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:19 am 
100000 CLUB

I've heard good things about Lost Marsh. Never played, but hear its supposed be really nice yet pretty tuff...especially the front 9. Nothing on Groupon or GolfNow?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
GN is a ghost town for that area. I'll check Groupon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 am 

Palmira is very nice, but it's been 7-8 years since I last played there. Sweet practice facility.

https://www.palmiragolf.com

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 am 

Anyone going to try to get out in the heat this weekend? I was tempted to get out and play this afternoon but just way too hot for
me. Teeing off at 6:30 Saturday and Sunday and should be done before 9:30. Will still be hot and humid but not like when the sun
is high in the sky. Looking forward to 60s and 70s returning :eye:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:49 am 
100000 CLUB

The heat is a nice excuse, but I suck so I'm taking at least a 2 week break from this silly game. Hoping I can end the year on a somewhat positive note with a couple double digit rounds in October.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
redskingreg wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent course in NW Indiana? $50 or so range. My buddy and I are looking to play then hit up Three Floyd's after. Not seeing much on my golf discount sites. Thanks and have a blessed day.

Lost Marsh or White Hawk would be my picks.

If you want something close to Three Floyds, Centennial Park is right on Calumet in Munster. It's supposed to be a good course as well but I've haven't made it out there yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:13 pm 

Just checked out the new Cleveland CBX irons/wedges. :safe:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Just checked out the new Cleveland CBX irons/wedges. :safe:

:alien: Love looking at/for new clubs. Starting to think about toying with the wedge setup, maybe even replacing my Mizuno PW
from the set and getting a 46 degree Vokey and adding a 52 and 58 to replace the 50 and 56. I see all the cool things they can do
in the WedgeWorks studio at Titleist and would love to get some with custom stamping and everything. I probably need to cool my
jets and make what I have work for me! I have 3 or 4 Cleveland wedges in my basement that are just sitting there. Used to buy a
new set every couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Try Briar Ridge Country Club in NWI...I think they let blacks in now as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next