It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Caller Bob wrote:
Try Briar Ridge Country Club in NWI...I think they let blacks in now as well.

I think you need DaMaNa to let you in though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
We played White Hawk in Crown Point. Highly recommended! Did you guys get hit by Irma? Seriously, the bunkers were flooded. Course was great, besides that. Played the grey-black. Greens were super fast to start but dried out and were easier. Finished 18 in just over three hours. The starter said not many people play that early. Hit up FFF after and scored some Zombie Dust. Great day, kids.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Game has finally come around in the last couple weeks, just in time for the end of the season :oops:

What i went through between late June and early September, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Sucks that my whole golf summer was essentially ruined, but at least I finally got it turned around so I won't spend the entire winter with suicidal thoughts.

Played last week after taking 2 weeks off due to the diet and being too sore to play. Took me a few holes to remember how to swing the club and started 8 over through 3, but then got it going after a poor 48 on the front and shot a 41 on the back with a double on 18. Kept it going yesterday with a 40 in a 9 hole round. haven't had a shank in 3 of my last 4 rounds.

the key was dramatically slowing down my backswing and tempo, has made a world of difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Played poorly on Saturday. Started the day with two triples and made one more double on the front for good measure. I
got it under control until #15 when I doubled that and again on #17. Part of the reason I think I wasn't playing that well
was that I was playing with a single in a cart and while I don't think he would have cared if I played at a normal walking
pace, I felt a little pressure to try to walk and play faster to not slow him down and have him wait. I finished walking a
semi hilly 7000 yd course in under 3 hours and the heat and humidity were rough. Sweated through my entire shirt.

Yesterday was much better. Had a chance to break par on the last hole. 108 yds in the middle of the fairway and looking
for birdie but semi-shanked a SW. Tends to happen with that club when I try to swing too hard. Managed to par but much
more enjoyable pace as I played with my buddy who also walks. Should have more normal temps moving forward

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 am 

Playing Pine Meadow in Mundelein on Sunday morning. I used to play there all the time but my connection there left and
the guys I played with all kind of went on and did their own things. I have heard that the course is not nearly as well
conditioned as it once was when the old superintendent was there and they cut a lot of trees down and made design
changes. I'll be interested to see it all. I usually only go there to practice but when the fall rates are in place and I can
walk for less than $60 then it becomes worth it. Will be fun to play somewhere familiar yet different after playing the
same courses pretty much all summer long.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01 pm 

Tough situation this morning. Let me just say that when you are having a little intestinal discomfort and the clubhouse isn't open yet, be really fucking careful if you need to sneeze or cough sitting in your car. :( Had a biohazard situation which is the last thing you want to think about before going to play. I don't carry an extra pair of boxer shorts with me so I had to get a little creative. 79 with a double on the last hole. Extra long shower when I got home! Hope others are out enjoying the glorious weather.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Left to right: Hawg, T-Bone

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
40-45 at Coyote Run this morning. My best score of the season (i think). Was -1 thru 6 holes thanks to back back birdies. Two bogeys followed, and then the wheels started to fall off as I had three doubles in a row. Rebounded to go par, birdie, then single bogey the rest of the way out except for a double on 18th.

In an odd twist, I didn't hit a single Fairway with my driver. Only a couple really poor ones hurt me, I just wasn't hitting it very straight. Chunked a couple of longer irons, but was absolutely on fire with the flat stick. One putted six greens and only had one three putt all day. It was the best I've hit the ball in probably 6 weeks. Played in about three and a half hours, perfect weather, and it was really good to see that my game hasnt completely left me. I had more good shots today than I had my last five or six rounds combined.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:43 am 

Played Pine Meadow on Sunday. Buddy and I got out early, a foursome let us play through and we walked it in less than 3 hours.
Highly recommended for anyone in the northern burbs that likes a nice and challenging course. Fall rates dropped the price to just
over $50 which I can ante up for. I have played the course at least 100 times but mostly as a scramble with buddies. Greens were
the fastest I've played this year and the greens are very difficult. Really have to think your way around the place and it gives you
chances to either play conservatively or be aggressive with trouble lurking many places. I wanted to hit up Kohler this fall but don't t
think that is going to happen, this was a satisfying experience in it's place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 am 

Played Old Orchard Saturday for the first time. Pretty dumpy, tiny course but surprisingly fast greens. My game has come full circle, shanks are gone and I scored my low round of the year, 81 with a 44 on the front and a 37 on the back.

Skipped around and played the holes out of order, but was able to finish in just over 3 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 am 
100000 CLUB

I have a 7:50 tee time for tomorrow, but the weather looks iffy at best. Saturday doesn't look real promising either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 am 

Radar looks all yellow and red up here Saturday morning so I think I am going to pass. Sunday looks nice though. I believe I have only been
rained out twice all season so I really can't be too upset and we sure as hell need the rain up here. Haven't had measureable rainfall since
before Labor Day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Shot my best round of the year last weekend at Tanna Farms in Geneva. 88. 41 on the front with a 47 on the back. No ranger out there and two groups of three decided to pair up together because some dumb asses were in front of them. The back nine dragged and waiting 5 minutes at least for each shot caused me to drop off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:59 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Been getting out to the range every couple 3 days. Hitting a big bucket of 120 balls, then the 30 bucket and head to the chipping green.

Hit about 6 buckets using S-P-52-58 wedges. About time to break down and get the iron set. Putting bookends all that, Just have to find the 90 minutes+ to have the time to hit all that and not be rushed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Radar looks all yellow and red up here Saturday morning so I think I am going to pass. Sunday looks nice though. I believe I have only been
rained out twice all season so I really can't be too upset and we sure as hell need the rain up here. Haven't had measureable rainfall since
before Labor Day.

Looks like I jumped the gun a bit. Nice window of no rain tomorrow morning. It shouldn't take more than 3 hours to play so I am going. Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Just checked out the new Cleveland CBX irons/wedges. :safe:

:alien: Love looking at/for new clubs. Starting to think about toying with the wedge setup, maybe even replacing my Mizuno PW
from the set and getting a 46 degree Vokey and adding a 52 and 58 to replace the 50 and 56. I see all the cool things they can do
in the WedgeWorks studio at Titleist and would love to get some with custom stamping and everything. I probably need to cool my
jets and make what I have work for me! I have 3 or 4 Cleveland wedges in my basement that are just sitting there. Used to buy a
new set every couple of years.

The new Vokeys look pretty nice. :lol:

I love the 46/52/58 wedge combo. Played it a few years back and opened up room at the other end of the bag. I love a 60 degree wedge, but I can go a round or two without using it.

Just went to the Vega website to price a wedge. Didn't realize these are like $250/club. :shock:

Wedges are my guilty pleasure. I have a set of new/remanufactured 588 WRX 54 & 60* wedges in reserve, plus various Cleveland 58 and 60 wedges in new or excellent condition.

The new Cleveland CBX wedges look killer - I could easily see buying a 46/52/58 combo to pair with a set of new irons from 5-9. Narrowed it down to the Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal or the Cleveland CBX. No hurry, though.

Had an interesting putter experience at The PGA Superstore over the last week. Tried the Edel torque balanced putter and fell in love. They take all the weight out of the heel, so the toe points straight up when you balance the shaft across you finger. Supposed to resist twisting and the shaft has zero offset. Had a great touch and everything was going straight at the hole. $350 w/ the fitting is a bit much, though. Went back a few days later and the Edel felt okay, but not great. Noticed a Tour Edge center-shafted putter that retails for $50. Now, I 've been in that store many, many times and never bothered with the Tour Edge line. I was lights out with this thing, couldn't miss. Someone even said "nice shot" at one point, which is all kinds of ridiculous. :lol:

I tend to like a specific type of center-shafted putter, where the shaft isn't directly behind the ball and this one sets up that way, with just a smidge of toe hang. The stock grip was a jumbo/paddle type that seemed to be a good fit. Only downside is I can't get it at 34.5"

No need to spend big coin on gear.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:57 am 

Tour Edge makes some nice clubs. I didn't know that much about them until we bought my ex-wife a set. After we got divorced,
I had the clubs and turned out that my current spouse was also a lefty so I thought we had scored there, until the ex remembered
I had them and asked for them back. I should have kept them, but whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 am 

Another great weekend to get out and play in October. I barely saw anyone out at the courses I play this weekend. Hitting the ball
pretty solid lately. Put it all together on Saturday and had a chance to do the same yesterday but stumbled on the back nine. Big
27 hole scramble tournament next weekend at my home course, winners take home a free pass for next season. I think -22 won it
last year so you have to be playing very well to have a chance. Lots of ringers come out of the woodwork.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am 
100000 CLUB

Went to Coyote Run again on Friday. Bit of drizzle on and off, but it was nothing more than a minor annoyance. Course was in tremendous shape (again) and even though the greens were a bit slower with the rain, they still rolled nice. Shot 44-47 for a 91. Hit the ball real well the first 12 holes. 3 bad tee shots on par 5's lead to three 7's, and I doubled 9 and 18. Also took a snowman on #15 with two balls into a hazard. Yuck. Didn't putt as well as I did last week (had three 3 putts) but chipped pretty good. Hit 7 GIR, had 5 pars. Disappointed with some bad shots over the final 5-6 holes, but still had a better score and hit better shots than I had thru most of the summer. Hoping to close out the year with a 3 or 4 more solid rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 am 

Almost an all day tournament tomorrow and going to get pretty wet I think. At least it isn't going to be frigid temps.
Not sure if I will go out Sunday, it looks dry but a bit colder. Will depend on how tomorrow goes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am 
100000 CLUB

Yeah. Tomorrow looks like it will be a gully washer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am 

I also have a 27 hole scramble tomorrow, tee off at 8. Only 90% chance of rain at that time. Already got an email saying they will make a decision at 7am tomorrow regarding postponing it. Make up date would be 10/28.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 am 

They tried to get it in and cancelled it after 9 holes. They did a blind draw for the prizes and the memberships. They gave each group a
free foursome with carts and we flipped for it within the group. Fortunately I won so I guess I have a free day of golf with carts for next year.
Would love to get out this week as it looks great but I doubt I will be able to swing it. I also start my personal training sessions so it should
be interesting to see how I feel at the end of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 am 
100000 CLUB

Ended up going to Top Golf on Saturday. Hit the ball well during our first 2 games, then got a little buzzed and sucked during the next 2. Sobered up and won the last one. It was fun, but muy expensivo. Hoping to get out 2-4 more times before the weather turns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ended up going to Top Golf on Saturday. Hit the ball well during our first 2 games, then got a little buzzed and sucked during the next 2. Sobered up and won the last one. It was fun, but muy expensivo. Hoping to get out 2-4 more times before the weather turns.

I have a $100 gift card from two years ago to Top Golf. I really need to use that thing up sometime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:47 am 
100000 CLUB

Taking a half day on Friday and will enjoy the glorious weather at Silver Lake. It's possible we might have an opening or two if anyone wants to join.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 am 

Friday at Tanna Farms w/Chus.

Great year for Friday Fall golf for Furious.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Furious Styles wrote:
Friday at Tanna Farms w/Chus.

Great year for Friday Fall golf for Furious.

Have fun, but I am done with Tanna Farms. Course itself is great, but they do a horrible job with keeping pace of play moving, and they never have a ranger out there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm 

You weren't invited.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 pm 

Might try to get out on Friday afternoon but not sure I can escape work. Was invited last minute to play a Ryder Cup event between
the two courses my membership works at. I haven't enjoyed playing in it the last few years so told them no. I'll get out at 7am
Saturday and then hopefully again Sunday depending on the weather. Still on a quest to log in 65 rounds this year, currently sitting
on 60 and running out of weekends.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next