It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm 

The exercise is going well, I'm in cardiac rehab Phase 2 right now (I had what shakes has to go through), but I'm up to 50 minutes a day of exercise 3x/week in the rehab class. I can see that in 4-5 weeks I'll be back to my normal treadmill speed, and I'm actually doing pretty well on the recumbent rower and the arm machine. I need to focus on getting treadmill time in over the weekend, however.

What's fucking me up is the eating. I've gained weight for six straight weeks, 1-2 pounds/week. Too many damn social events with either food or beer, my schedule is completely messed up as thanks to the rehab I work 12-7 three days a week, and subsequently too much Taco Bell and Portillo's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Crime Story: wasnt that on dee road?
Truth be told, I've prolly dropped 45-55lbs since may 1st. I haven't really gotten out and played basketball (yet) but I've been walking/pubtrans like I got my citizenship from enlisting in starship troopers and lately I've been able to stray away from eating because it's [time] or sleeping because it's [time] and my energy has gone through the roof.

Unfortunately, I suck at life so everyone's telling me to go handle other people's packages at fed ex cuz clearly if I was allowed to do my own thing in life it'd be the end of the world as we know it (and call it a hunch Michael stipe feels fine, so I can sleep easy... After 1.5 to 2.5 days anyways =)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. :wink: I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ

https://youtu.be/56KYMMGudcU Eminem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

Fucking Darth Vader vibe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's JORR? He's a lot less swarthy than I recalled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I bet his shirt is halfway unbuttoned under that North Face.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:

Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?

If you've got a guy with a track record, that's great.

I'll send you a PM with the details so the thread stays somewhat on track.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Four of us joined a ‘run the year’ group. 2018 miles between the four of us. Averages little under 10 miles a week. I’m already behind pace but only by a couple miles as I work my way back into the groove. I hadn’t run since a 5K on thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Why does hell does JORR look like Shredder?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm 

On Monday, I hit 10k steps for the first time since my surgery, which will be three months ago tomorrow. Only thing was that I had complete couch potato days on both Sunday and Tuesday to offset it.

But I've had 4 days over 6000 this week, and lost three pounds after gaining at least a pound for seven straight weeks over the holidays. I also confirmed that the treadmills have been underestimating my distance/speed for years, which I always suspected. That means I might be able to do an organized 5k this spring in under an hour, and might not finish last.