It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2159
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2159
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
The exercise is going well, I'm in cardiac rehab Phase 2 right now (I had what shakes has to go through), but I'm up to 50 minutes a day of exercise 3x/week in the rehab class. I can see that in 4-5 weeks I'll be back to my normal treadmill speed, and I'm actually doing pretty well on the recumbent rower and the arm machine. I need to focus on getting treadmill time in over the weekend, however.

What's fucking me up is the eating. I've gained weight for six straight weeks, 1-2 pounds/week. Too many damn social events with either food or beer, my schedule is completely messed up as thanks to the rehab I work 12-7 three days a week, and subsequently too much Taco Bell and Portillo's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:54 pm
Posts: 14521
Location: illegal exit from the game grid
pizza_Place: Crime Story: wasnt that on dee road?
Truth be told, I've prolly dropped 45-55lbs since may 1st. I haven't really gotten out and played basketball (yet) but I've been walking/pubtrans like I got my citizenship from enlisting in starship troopers and lately I've been able to stray away from eating because it's [time] or sleeping because it's [time] and my energy has gone through the roof.

Unfortunately, I suck at life so everyone's telling me to go handle other people's packages at fed ex cuz clearly if I was allowed to do my own thing in life it'd be the end of the world as we know it (and call it a hunch Michael stipe feels fine, so I can sleep easy... After 1.5 to 2.5 days anyways =)

_________________
crime story intro wrote:
I wonder wah wah wah wah wonder why I don't walk away....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 29733
pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. :wink: I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

_________________
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ

https://youtu.be/56KYMMGudcU Eminem


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 pm
Posts: 6261
Location: CUBBIE ON THE BRAIN
pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.


He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 5625
Location: Knoxville,Ill
pizza_Place: Caseys
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.


He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

Fucking Darth Vader vibe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm
Posts: 1784
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


That's JORR? He's a lot less swarthy than I recalled.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 20359
pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I bet his shirt is halfway unbuttoned under that North Face.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 10489
pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md


Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2159
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
shakes wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md


Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?

If you've got a guy with a track record, that's great.

I'll send you a PM with the details so the thread stays somewhat on track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am
Posts: 18695
pizza_Place: Aurelios
Four of us joined a ‘run the year’ group. 2018 miles between the four of us. Averages little under 10 miles a week. I’m already behind pace but only by a couple miles as I work my way back into the groove. I hadn’t run since a 5K on thanksgiving.

_________________
drinky wrote:
If you hate Laurence, then don't listen - don't comment. When he co-hosts the B&B show, take that day off ... listen to an old podcast of a Bernstein solo show and jerk off all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm
Posts: 30110
Location: West Side
pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image

Why does hell does JORR look like Shredder?

Image

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
I rarely troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2159
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
On Monday, I hit 10k steps for the first time since my surgery, which will be three months ago tomorrow. Only thing was that I had complete couch potato days on both Sunday and Tuesday to offset it.

But I've had 4 days over 6000 this week, and lost three pounds after gaining at least a pound for seven straight weeks over the holidays. I also confirmed that the treadmills have been underestimating my distance/speed for years, which I always suspected. That means I might be able to do an organized 5k this spring in under an hour, and might not finish last.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group