It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Franky T wrote:
Looking like I might get out this afternoon. The rest of the weekend is weather dependent. I'm funny about golf weather in that in the fall I will play as long as possible but in the spring I am a bit picky.

That's funny, I'm the opposite. By the time fall comes I am much more finicky about what I will go out in, but in spring I am
ready to put the skull cap, mittens, and Under Armour on and get the hell out there no matter what. Definitely now a bit more determined now that I have a date on the calendar to try to get my game in some semblance of shape.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 pm 

My buddies backed out on Saturday as they thought it was going to rain and of course it didn't but I went out today and it was low 40s and so windy. Like 3-4 clubs difference going into it. Crazy. I played relatively well which was encouraging. Looks like the weather is going to trend upwards by next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 am 

I had a skinny grip on the new Scotty Del Mar and have been using it the last few weeks. I guess I have been using the Super Stroke and thick grips too long now and it was driving me nuts. Felt like I was putting with a pencil for a grip. Took it to my guy over at the local Dicks Sporting Goods and we put on the newest 3.0. Been putting on some grips myself at home but I don't like doing the putters, I put one on last time and it looked just a little off and I can't get past it. I sent the putter to North Carolina. Anyway the guy at Dicks did it in like 90 seconds and was perfect. I am playing this Friday/Saturday/Sunday and temps look a bit more palatable, although at 7:45 when we tee off it will still be a little cold.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I played at Coyote Run yesterday with winds that were just insane. I can't remember playing in conditions that windy. Definitely had to be sure you steadied yourself before the swing, and putting was even affected.

First few holes were dreadful- started with a snowman and three 6's. Duffed a couple drives, sliced another, topped a couple irons, bladed a chip. Really was bad. Got it together later on though, as I was sitting on the 8th tee with a 44 and ended up with a 95 for the round (53 - 42). Really hit the ball well on the back 9, three pars and a birdie. Two 3-putt bogeys as well. Was redeeming to play well for a stretch and hit the ball decent and break 100 after such a poor start. At one point, I carried a SW about 135 yards downwind. On the flip side, hit a 7-iron 110 yards into the wind. Fortunately, there were only like 3 holes dead into wind and we were dealing with crosswinds for probably 11 or 12 holes.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I played yesterday and the wind was brutal. I know they say "embrace the conditions" but I can't do that. I'm a weak minded golfer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 am 
100000 CLUB

I try not to let conditions bother me too much because they are the same for everybody. Yesterday though was just insane. I played well enough on the back 9 to have some fun, but I'll be cancelling my tee time if its that windy again. I would rather play in 50 degree temps with drizzle than the nonsense that was the weather yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 am 

Yeah it was rough Sunday. We sat in the clubhouse for 10 minutes between nines to warm up. I think everyone wanted to quit. I wasn't playing that bad so I told them I was finishing so they all went along. I gave one of the guys my mittens. I was walking so that helped keep me warm I think. There were a number of tee shots that my eyes were watering really badly but I just blinked and swung before they would fill up again. Stuck with my game plan of just swinging 85-90% and trying to make solid contact and I lost no balls and only had one three putt. Ended up with a 78 which is probably one of the better bad weather rounds I've shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I played last Wednesday and today. Both times I struggled to play the back nine, more physical. Last week was golfing on two hours of sleep, today it turned out to be 86 degrees out and I got a bit nauseous thanks to some medication changes last month which don't interact well with some of the basics of golf.

That said, I shot pretty well. The new 3 wood has made a difference, and today I shot a 54 with 2 tee shot mulligans for the medium difficulty nine as I was trying to dial in the 3-wood off the tee and kept pulling it over the top. I played three holes on the easy nine and came one 5' putt away from bogey bogey bogey. Playing this course most weeks as a member, my goal is to break 100 by the time they get around to overseeding and aerating in August.

Probably no round next week as I'm getting part 2 of the Covid shot, but then I have family coming down for 4 rounds in 7 days at the beginning of May, so I need to get my ass in gear and build up my stamina.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 am 

Heading out this morning. Teeing off at 7am and wearing shorts. Getting closer to a regular schedule. Hitting the ball ok off the tee and putting well. Irons are shaky. Chipping getting better the more I do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:47 am 
100000 CLUB

Have a tee time Saturday morning which could be in jeopardy. Rain for sure this weekend, but hoping there is a chance the AM hours remain mostly dry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 am 
100000 CLUB

Holy shit this entire weekend looks to be a washout. I was hoping maybe for a window to play 9 holes tomorrow (7am tee time) but even that looks unlikely :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:16 pm 

I’m going to play at 7. Hoping to get in 12 or 13 holes before the rain starts and then finish in the rain. Sunday is likely a washout.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
If you can get out this afternoon, that's your best bet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:34 am 
100000 CLUB

The rain held off for the most part and I shot 41-41 at Meadows on Saturday morning. Shorter course and a couple of the par 5's have some weird angles where I can really cut down the distance, but you still have to hit, chip, and putt well. I did just that except for two pulled irons on par 3s. It was one of the best rounds I have ever played. A bit of rain and wind, but nothing that really affected a ton of shots. The greens were pretty slow and I had a few 3 putts which is what really kept me from breaking 80 for the first time ever. 16 of the 18 holes were either a 4 or a 5 written on the card, which I'm not sure has ever happened for me. I can't tell you the last round I played that didn't have at least one score of 7 or 8+ written on the card.

Was a terrific morning!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:56 am 

I got in 18 as well on Saturday. Started sprinkling after 12th but overall it wasn't bad. I put on the rain coat for the last 3 holes. Second round in a row where the front started out a little rocky but played the back nine quite well. I decided to skip the golf yesterday and hang out with my wife. We are heading to Tampa on Wednesday and I am booked to play a round at the Streamsong resort so planning on getting my clock cleaned but will be fun. Probably take some photos and post on Facebook. My bathroom project is pretty much done as well so that is a huge load off my mind and plate. Turned out pretty well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:50 am 

If you are ever in Orlando or Tampa and looking for a really nice resort to play check out Streamsong. I played the Blue on Thursday and had a great experience. Expansive fairways and no rough, but quite a bit of sand. They have three courses and all are very well regarded. I’d pretty much consider it the Kohler of Florida.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
No golf this week as I got covid shot #2 instead.

So I spent my covid shot recovery time planning out a vacation around a conference in Birmingham in June. A couple of rounds north of Augusta along the Savannah River, a Braves game in Atlanta at the new ballpark, hopefully two RTJ trail rounds, and then visiting friends in Tennessee and stopping Asheville as I drive back.

I played three of the RTJ courses in the early 2000s. I don't remember specific holes, but I remember that they were gorgeous and totally kicked my ass. I'm hoping to play one of the courses in Muscle Shoals this time along with either an Anniston round or a Birmingham round.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hot the range last evening ahead of league start Sunday. Now I am sitting with a stiff back. Hit them all staring though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 am 

Travelled with my clubs for the first time in probably ten years. Bought a new travel bag. Highly recommend the Bag Boy Freestyle model. Unique design that has 4 wheels that allow it to stand straight up and two angled wheels to pull it behind you. Multiple handles to help you move it and nicely padded to help keep the clubs safe. I took the head off the driver and purchased one of those club saver poles that keeps pressure off the club heads. It was much easier than I expected to travel with them. For the cost I’d likely play more than once next time to make it a bit more worthwhile. It’s a bit of a pain to lug them but this bag made it as easy as it possibly could be

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

Chilly Saturday morning, had about a 40min frost delay. Greens were slow and ball didn't fly as well with the cooler air. I didn't hit the ball as well as I had my last 2-3 rounds, but still managed to break 90 (45-44) on another dogtrack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:06 pm 

Confirmed tee times up at Sand Valley on May 4th. I could have sworn the girl said the 5th but I just found the e-mail that says the 4th. That would have stunk to get up there and be a day late. Anyway we are playing Mammoth in the morning and Sand Valley in the afternoon. Going to be a long day. 3 hour drive up, at least 15 miles walking and pushing clubs and then 3 hour drive home. Gonna be a long day for sure. Spring rates for the first round and half price replay 2nd round. Can't play two better courses for the price.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:30 am 

Logged 10th round this morning. Taking weekend off to work around house but nice to get out this morning. Weekend looks a little crappy. Shot even par 36 on the back with an eagle on #10. 76 has been low round of the year. Typical spring golf stuff. The fact that I have 10 in is nice since I didn't get there until 2nd weekend in May last year so ahead of schedule. Still shooting for 100 this season but that might be a stretch. Weather looking nice early next week so hope everyone is getting out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Two weeks ago, 6300yd par 71 course, wind and rain, shoot an 82. :D
Yesterday, 4800yd par 65 course, a bit chilly but mainly clear skies, shoot a 93. :cry:

I hit the hell out of my driver yesterday, but nothing else was working. Pin Placements were very tough on some holes, but no excuse for six 3-putts and a 4-putt. Brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Anybody have good advice on a range finder?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am 
100000 CLUB

I use the GolfPad and YamaTracks free apps on my phone, and they work just fine for me. I've never used a laser rangefinder so can't help you there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Wife got me a TecTecTec laser range finder for Christmas. I like it a lot and it’s not that expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:27 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Anybody have good advice on a range finder?

I use a Golf Buddy which works on over 30,000 courses. Uses satellite technology. Also gives yardages to bunkers and water. Laser is nice to click and shoot what you want but for ease of use the Golf Buddy has given me everything I need for the past 5+ years. Gives front middle and back green readings which is good enough for 99.5% of golfers. I have a harness on my push cart and all I do is look down and my yardage is there. I don't have to monkey around with getting the laser out and everything. I know not everyone walks so maybe they have time to do the laser.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
gonna go into my yard after work with a club and see if I can swing it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 am 

Got out to the short course in town called Petrifying Springs. Fun little course and it is in phenomenal shape. They got a new superintendent from Kohler last year and he has that place whipped into shape. It is short at 6000 yards but the greens are all raised up so chipping and putting is ridiculously tricky with severely sloping and fast greens. Teed off at 6 and done before 8:30 then off to work. I think I will try to get over there once a week if possible. Once it gets light out you can easily tee off by 5:30.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next