It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's kind of strange because there's a perfectly good trail to run on right next to the road.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm 

I wonder about people like that when we get bikers on 5-6 blocks of South Shore dr. where the south end of the bike path starts. A dedicated smooth bike path ignored by some idiots with apparent death wishes. Especially over the last year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol: I don't think there was any animosity between the two of us. Certainly not on my part. I was glad the guy kept me focused. I would have been dogging it without him. It was funny though. We stopped at the light together at Touhy and then again at Golf and we didn't speak either time.

Lie. Why are you so competitive on you rides? You want nobody to pass you and you like being #1 on some app or new fangled thing you kids use. You could give a shit almost any aspect otherwise...unless you upstage at the club but I can't see that. You don't give a shit most any other time but you try hard to out ride people.

Yeah, I do, but I don't have a personal grudge against the other riders. Any physical activity, I'm going to be competitive. I think it's weird not to be.

A friend of mine, her kid is 6'9" and he looks like a Greek God. He isn't the most athletic guy, but he isn't uncoordinated either. He was a ten time varsity letterman in three sports in high school. But my friend was telling me how frustrated she was watching him play because he just doesn't have a real killer edge to him. This friend of mine, she's competitive as hell. She told me she wished she could put her competitive spirit inside her kid's body for a game and he'd be throwing dunks down like crazy. But that's just not him. My friend is the youngest of six kids. Growing up in her house was like living among a pack of wolves. Her son is an only child. He's like a pampered poodle.

My sister and I are 18 months apart. We competed at everything. That may have something to do with it. I don't know. I just know I don't want a motherfucker to pass me. And I can't stop all of them, but I can make them work to do it.

you don't need to explain yourself, you're doing it the right way. Spaulding is a moron.

Why wouldn't you be competitive while you ride or do any form of exercise? It's only going to make you work harder and get a better workout.

When I used to own the lakefront bike path I would always pick out a roller blader in the distance and make it my mission to pass that person. Then I would pick out another person and pass that person as well. Gave me a goal and an incentive and forced me to bust my ass nonstop.

How is that a bad thing?

cue roller blading joke from guy who probably dresses like Lance Armstrong and fakes an Italian accent like the kid in Breaking Away while he rides through the forest preserves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Regular Reader wrote:
I wonder about people like that when we get bikers on 5-6 blocks of South Shore dr. where the south end of the bike path starts. A dedicated smooth bike path ignored by some idiots with apparent death wishes. Especially over the last year.

I lived in Rogers Park for years. The thought of running against traffic on Sheridan, Clark, Pratt, or Devon strikes me as absolutely insane.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 pm 

Waybackwhen I ran/rode if I didn't find someone to compete with, I'd quickly get bored. Even racing against a clock did nothing for me. The only time I even thought about time was on the track.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
cue roller blading joke from guy who probably dresses like Lance Armstrong and fakes an Italian accent like the kid in Breaking Away while he rides through the forest preserves.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Harvard Dan wrote:
Getting out on the trails and hilly Emricson Park in Woodstock has been way different than being on the treadmill. Got my first 3 miles done as well last weekend and am only planning on training for a 10K this summer.

I used to live in Woodstock and am familiar with that park. A couple years back my daughter ran XC Sectionals there, and she says that was the toughest 3-mile course she has run to date.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I lived in Rogers Park for years. The thought of running against traffic on Sheridan, Clark, Pratt, or Devon strikes me as absolutely insane.

The really bizarre thing is that traffic is at least 40-45 mph and the lane they ride in always has potholes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:52 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
Getting out on the trails and hilly Emricson Park in Woodstock has been way different than being on the treadmill. Got my first 3 miles done as well last weekend and am only planning on training for a 10K this summer.

I used to live in Woodstock and am familiar with that park. A couple years back my daughter ran XC Sectionals there, and she says that was the toughest 3-mile course she has run to date.

I thought that at least half the people who designed those courses were sadists.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm 

I get to head back to the gym in 12-14 days. J&J vaccine shot taken today.

Thanks Mayor Lightfoot, CDPH & President Biden!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've run 2 miles on the treadmill each of the past three days and am gradually improving my mile time. I'm going to take the day off tomorrow and shoot for 2.25-2.5 miles on Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Tall Midget wrote:
I've run 2 miles on the treadmill each of the past three days and am gradually improving my mile time. I'm going to take the day off tomorrow and shoot for 2.25-2.5 miles on Friday.

I would highly recommend that you stop trying to improve your "mile time" daily. There is no need to rush progress. Stay at the same pace for a couple of weeks and then increase mileage. Increase the incline a little if you need a change of pace. Trying to get back to wherever you were overnight will lead to injury.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I would highly recommend that you stop trying to improve your "mile time" daily. There is no need to rush progress. Stay at the same pace for a couple of weeks and then increase mileage. Increase the incline a little if you need a change of pace. Trying to get back to wherever you were overnight will lead to injury.

After reading about your affinity for guns, I am quite certain that my running routine is far too conservative rather than too aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Regular Reader wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

I thought that at least half the people who designed those courses were sadists.

Agreed, I typically will run the H.U.M trail between Marengo and Union or the Prairie Path which has a terminus at the McHenry/Boone County line and runs southwest towards Rockford. Both are fairly flat and are useful for longer runs vs. the inclines in Woodstock or even Elgin.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:02 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

After reading about your affinity for guns, I am quite certain that my running routine is far too conservative rather than too aggressive.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Have been getting out on the local bike paths finally. Doing about 12 miles every other day. First time it took me about 70 minutes, have it down under 60 now. Today was my second venture into the Middlefork Savanna Forest Preserve. It's absolutely beautiful. You'd never even know it was there.

Riding my Salsa Mamasita mountain bike. It's fast for a mountain bike. Just ordered a Warbird gravel bike, which is basically a road bike with wider tires.

Feeling better and better every day.

My weight loss has stalled a little...although I just dropped below 290...

Still doing keto. No booze. No wheat. No rice. No sugar, other than a little bbq sauce.

Still completely off the diabetus drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Getting off insulin is a huge win, best of luck Jet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I've gotten 11 rounds of golf in so definitely putting some miles in but not seeing much weight loss yet. Taking a break from drinking so really hoping that takes the calorie count down some. I need to get down into the basement and use the Smith machine and Total Gym but just haven't been able to drag my ass down there. Even 20 minutes a day would be a good start.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 am 

20 minutes a day would be pretty ambitious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How is it going?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How is it going?

Prettty good. I've lost about five pounds since resuming my workouts a few weeks ago and am now down fifteen pounds since January 1.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How is it going?

Prettty good. I've lost about five pounds since resuming my workouts a few weeks ago and am now down fifteen pounds since January 1.

Good to hear!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I'm down 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks of dieting with no exercise. But lost most of that the first few days. My metabolism is so bad it's pretty much impossible for me to lose weight without heavy exercise. Gonna get back on the exercise bike this weekend and hopefully it doesn't cause my sciatica to kick in like last time.

I'm inspired today though. Just met with a long time client. First thing he says, "man Mike you got fat". His wife yelled at him but I said he's right I have gotten fat. Right now I'm the fattest I've been since I was 23. Still need to lose 5 pounds to be at the point where i was the fattest I've been since I met my wife.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
shakes wrote:
I'm down 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks of dieting with no exercise. But lost most of that the first few days. My metabolism is so bad it's pretty much impossible for me to lose weight without heavy exercise. Gonna get back on the exercise bike this weekend and hopefully it doesn't cause my sciatica to kick in like last time.

I'm inspired today though. Just met with a long time client. First thing he says, "man Mike you got fat". His wife yelled at him but I said he's right I have gotten fat. Right now I'm the fattest I've been since I was 23. Still need to lose 5 pounds to be at the point where i was the fattest I've been since I met my wife.

Good luck shakes. I'm down about 4 since golf started and hopefully that will continue to come off if I can keep walking 18 3x a week. It all comes down to the diet and less beer for me in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:03 am 

Got in another 12 mile ride this morning. Nowhere near jorr territory...but remember, it's not a competition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 am 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
Got in another 12 mile ride this morning. Nowhere near jorr territory...but remember, it's not a competition.

It is if we end up next to each other on the path! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

When I get the gravel bike, for sure.

It's been windy lately...mostly on the way out which is good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:50 am 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Oh yeah, much better to have the wind at your back on the way home!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I try to plan my course for exactly that. If if not possible I just do criss-crosses in the neighborhood so I don't go the same direction for too long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 am 

a genius wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I try to plan my course for exactly that. If if not possible I just do criss-crosses in the neighborhood so I don't go the same direction for too long.

Another reason to get into the forest preserve and river trails where you've got some cover.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next