It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Coldest April since 1992, and 6th coldest on record since the official weather observation site was moved from the Lakefront eighty years ago.

You're not that far off, Franky.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Should be able to get in 18 early tomorrow and 36 slated for Sunday up at Lawsonia. Looking cool but dry. Going to be a long day and a bit of driving but hopefully worth the trip. Can’t beat $130 for 36 holes and cart at a top golf destination. Less than half of the Sand Valkey trip last year and closer to home. I texted Shakes for the inside scoop. Sounds like I will have my hands full and the putter will get a serious testing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:25 am 

Is it socially acceptable to use a push cart to take your clubs from your car to the golf range? I'm not either an old man or a broken man(like shakes) so I can physically lift them without issue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

If you're going from the range to the course to play a round, yes.

If not, we will have to have Caller Bob weigh in on your gender and pronoun usage.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 am 

Played 36 up at Lawsonia with a buddy yesterday. Pretty awesome golf complex. Two very different courses. Links built in 1930 was way ahead of its time and has some awesome green complexes with extremely deep and dramatic bunkers. Just a lot of fun to play. You can spray the ball anywhere and still have a shot. The Woodlands is a more traditional design cut through the woods. If you only play one go with the Links. We had a tee time at 8 but the guy let us go at 7:30 and we got ahead of an couple groups. Played both courses just the two of us in less than 6 hours. About a two hour drive from Kenosha. $115 for 36 and a cart is a steal and I’d assume the rates will go up soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
T-Bone wrote:
Played 36 up at Lawsonia with a buddy yesterday. Pretty awesome golf complex. Two very different courses. Links built in 1930 was way ahead of its time and has some awesome green complexes with extremely deep and dramatic bunkers. Just a lot of fun to play. You can spray the ball anywhere and still have a shot. The Woodlands is a more traditional design cut through the woods. If you only play one go with the Links. We had a tee time at 8 but the guy let us go at 7:30 and we got ahead of an couple groups. Played both courses just the two of us in less than 6 hours. About a two hour drive from Kenosha. $115 for 36 and a cart is a steal and I’d assume the rates will go up soon.

I've heard great things about that course especially from guys who play hickory golf there. Sounds like a perfect day.

Nervous moment tonight. I got home from the range and realized that I left my PW there. Pretty stressful 15 drive back and luckily it was almost where I left it. Someone must have moved it, but didn't take it. So I got lucky.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:10 am 

I have a birthday coming up and although I love all the clubs I currently have I am seriously considering dropping the 4 iron and getting a 4 hybrid. I dragged my feet on the 3 hybrid for years and as soon as I put it in the bag it has been paying big dividends. I just can't depend on hitting the 4 iron dead nuts consistently and am losing a bit of distance. I think I have to swallow my pride and just add that hybrid so I have another attacking club from 200 plus yards. I have a buddy that is potentially interested in buying the 3 and 4 iron so I guess that would offset the cost a bit.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:12 am 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I've heard great things about that course especially from guys who play hickory golf there. Sounds like a perfect day.

Nervous moment tonight. I got home from the range and realized that I left my PW there. Pretty stressful 15 drive back and luckily it was almost where I left it. Someone must have moved it, but didn't take it. So I got lucky.

Glad it was still there. Few things more panic inducing for a golfer than to look in the bag and realize you left a club behind somewhere. Not everyone is nice enough to leave it or hand it in to the clubhouse. I few years back I found a really nice leather Titleist headcover. I had been thinking about getting one similar for some time. We eventually caught up to the group ahead and it was one of theirs and were thankful to get it back. I lost an Erin Hills putter cover some time ago and even left a reward in the clubhouse for the return but never got it back.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:37 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Glad it was still there. Few things more panic inducing for a golfer than to look in the bag and realize you left a club behind somewhere. Not everyone is nice enough to leave it or hand it in to the clubhouse. I few years back I found a really nice leather Titleist headcover. I had been thinking about getting one similar for some time. We eventually caught up to the group ahead and it was one of theirs and were thankful to get it back. I lost an Erin Hills putter cover some time ago and even left a reward in the clubhouse for the return but never got it back.

Sorry to hear about the Erin hills cover. Hard to replace someone like that compared to a generic Ping cover. Yes, I felt especially fortunate since it was a public driving range. Had it been a Saturday or even a nicer day, I probably would have been screwed.

Regarding the 4 hybrid. I took mine out and put a 7 wood in. It's been great for me as it launches higher and gives me a lot of flexibility. That might not work for you as far as distance gaps, but something to think about. I think my 7 wood and 4 hybrid are the same degrees of loft.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:48 am 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Erin hills cover. Hard to replace someone like that compared to a generic Ping cover. Yes, I felt especially fortunate since it was a public driving range. Had it been a Saturday or even a nicer day, I probably would have been screwed.

Regarding the 4 hybrid. I took mine out and put a 7 wood in. It's been great for me as it launches higher and gives me a lot of flexibility. That might not work for you as far as distance gaps, but something to think about. I think my 7 wood and 4 hybrid are the same degrees of loft.

Good info, I'll have to keep that in mind. I have a pretty low ball flight in general. This club would have to cover 200-220 yards for me so usually a long par 3 or maybe a 2nd shot into a par 5. The 3 hybrid really goes and I can push it out there from 220 - 240 with a good strike. The 4 iron this year is struggling to get 200 yards. I've found traditional woods a bit more challenging to hit off the ground but the hybrids seem to work a bit better for whatever reason. I'm sure there are some design elements and physics behind that answer.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:09 pm 

Sounds good T-Bone. Looking forward to hearing what you decide. I wish I hit my driver as far as you hit your 3 hybrid.

Does everyone use just one putter or bounce around between various ones? I think I need to just stick with one to be more consistent.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:58 am 

Augie wrote:
Sounds good T-Bone. Looking forward to hearing what you decide. I wish I hit my driver as far as you hit your 3 hybrid.

Does everyone use just one putter or bounce around between various ones? I think I need to just stick with one to be more consistent.

I usually bounce around early in the season and then stick with one but I will say if I have a bad outing I will put my usual gamer in jail for a weekend and go to a back up. I have been trying out the one I got in the offseason this year and I want to love it but for whatever reason I am still partial to my old trusty one. Maybe because I have a lot of good memories with it. The weighting on the new one just seems off and I have been putting different weights in the bottom of it. Also seems to have a softer face so most of my putts have been coming up short. My buddies and I are going to start playing for more money starting this weekend so that is when the rubber will meet the road and I won't have time to test stuff out much anymore. I have 6 putters right now and one at my mothers house in NC. Three Pings and four Scotty's.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Coldest April since 1992, and 6th coldest on record since the official weather observation site was moved from the Lakefront eighty years ago.

You're not that far off, Franky.
There was ONE (1) day in April that was considered "Clear and sunny" according to the Nat'l Weather Service data. May is off to the cloudiest start in history here, and weather records to back to the Civil War.

So basically, we've had ONE day with 100% sunshine over the last five weeks. Normal is about 4-5 days, with another 8-10 days with 80% sunshine or more. Another 1" or so of rain is coming here over the next 36 hours.

T.H.I.S. S.U.C.K.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pm 

Saw something similar. Since March 21st one of the past 42 days has been considered sunny. Normal is 10-11 days during that stretch. Weekend certainly looks golfable up here and hopefully not cart paths only but after that it appears that maybe most of the bad weather is behind us and we can enjoy a better spring.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

I never understand the people who ride when its cart path only. You end up walking just as much if not moreso than somebody who walks IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:26 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I never understand the people who ride when its cart path only. You end up walking just as much if not moreso than somebody who walks IMO.

I haven't really found that to be true in my case but I do find having to bring multiple clubs, a towel and my range finder to be a pain. The ride out to the ball saves a bunch of time alone.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

Some holes that might be the case. But if the path is on the left and your ball is on the right, still a lot of walking.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:17 pm 

In my experience walkers gonna walk and riders gonna ride no matter what. I thought I’d miss walking more but so far I haven’t. I think if I wasn’t the first off the tee I’d walk because I couldn’t go faster.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:37 am 

Ended up pulling trigger on a 4 hybrid yesterday. The pro shop had a demo model of the Callaway Apex which was on my short list of models to look at. I was really against paying full price for a club so after hitting it on the range it seemed to fit the bill for what I need and is also adjustable if needed. It’s lofted at 21 degrees which is very strong but when I hit the thing it goes quite high so sort of offsets itself. I will be seeing if the pro shop is interested in selling my Titleist T-MB 3 and 4 irons on consignment. They are very nice long irons and I know I’ll only get a fraction of what I could for them if I’d dump them at Play It Again. I think the pro shop takes 15% or something. Someone would love to have them, as they are pretty well regarded and I’ll price them to move.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Some holes that might be the case. But if the path is on the left and your ball is on the right, still a lot of walking.

That's why you aim for the cart path!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:10 am 

I couldn’t work out a deal with the pro shop. If anyone might be interested in a very nice 3 and/or 4 iron let me know, otherwise I’ll put them up for sale online. These are the 716 models but they look exactly the same.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/718-t-mb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:00 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I couldn’t work out a deal with the pro shop. If anyone might be interested in a very nice 3 and/or 4 iron let me know, otherwise I’ll put them up for sale online. These are the 716 models but they look exactly the same.

Looks like 2nd Swing would give you $45 per iron in credit if you can't move them. Slightly less in cash.

https://w1.golfstixvalueguide.com/TaGet ... A10E946ED4

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:14 pm 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Looks like 2nd Swing would give you $45 per iron in credit if you can't move them. Slightly less in cash.

https://w1.golfstixvalueguide.com/TaGet ... A10E946ED4

Yeah that is what the pro shop was going to give me. They aren’t allowed to sell on consignment anymore. The irons are $225 each brand new. I feel confident I can sell them for at least $75 each pretty easily online to the right buyer.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:38 am 

Cool in the mornings but nice weekend for golf. Hope you guys got out there. Very wet at my course and they haven’t been able to cut the rough down so it was brutal just finding your ball even if it wasn’t plugged. Had two doubles Saturday and one yesterday so that hurt. While I had no three putts I also didn’t really make anything of consequence either. No birdies after quite a few good looks. Hitting the ball more solidly and got to use the new 4 hybrid 3x yesterday with very good results. Might try to get out Friday morning if I can work it into my schedule.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
T-Bone wrote:
Cool in the mornings but nice weekend for golf. Hope you guys got out there. Very wet at my course and they haven’t been able to cut the rough down so it was brutal just finding your ball even if it wasn’t plugged. Had two doubles Saturday and one yesterday so that hurt. While I had no three putts I also didn’t really make anything of consequence either. No birdies after quite a few good looks. Hitting the ball more solidly and got to use the new 4 hybrid 3x yesterday with very good results. Might try to get out Friday morning if I can work it into my schedule.

Saturday here was probably the best day we’ve had in terms of low wind and sunny and warm. Zero roll with the driver made for some long appraches.

I’ve got an old Adams Pro Idea Gold 4 hybrid I’m going to work back into the bag since there are two par 3’s that if they’re into the wind, should be perfect. It’s got an Ozik Altus shaft and a tour velvet standard grip but I’ve been playing the tour velvet jumbo for the last two seasons. Might take the 54 degree wedge out and go 50 to 58 because I don’t hit my 54 much.

Swing speed slowly starting to come back from surgery as I’m getting close to approach yardages even with taking an inch off my Ventus Red driver shaft. My fairway percentage has increased with the shorter shaft.

Gonna be hot this week so I’m planning on taking Thursday off as I’m off Friday already, might try and play 36 Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Yeah better weather. Course was wet and I didn't play all that well, but was nice to be out in shortsleeves and no rain. You don't figure you're going to get sunburned with temps in the low 60s, but I can attest this is more than possible :lol:

Shot 44-41 on a short par 65 course. Couple of big numbers and a five putt (on a green complex that is really just stupid) makes it look like I played terrible all round, but I also had six pars.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:34 am 

QuadCityDope wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Saturday here was probably the best day we’ve had in terms of low wind and sunny and warm. Zero roll with the driver made for some long appraches.

I’ve got an old Adams Pro Idea Gold 4 hybrid I’m going to work back into the bag since there are two par 3’s that if they’re into the wind, should be perfect. It’s got an Ozik Altus shaft and a tour velvet standard grip but I’ve been playing the tour velvet jumbo for the last two seasons. Might take the 54 degree wedge out and go 50 to 58 because I don’t hit my 54 much.

Swing speed slowly starting to come back from surgery as I’m getting close to approach yardages even with taking an inch off my Ventus Red driver shaft. My fairway percentage has increased with the shorter shaft.

Gonna be hot this week so I’m planning on taking Thursday off as I’m off Friday already, might try and play 36 Thursday.

Sounds like a good plan Dope both for club gapping and your schedule. The two courses I play almost exclusively have 5 par three holes at 200 or longer and it was becoming a stretch to hit long irons into those with any consistency when the wind or cold was a factor. Hell it is hard even in good conditions.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
First hole in one today. Very pleased with myself.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
First hole in one today. Very pleased with myself.

Congrats! Where did it happen?

I’m going both days this weekend. Just pulled the trigger on new golf shoes. I finally bought a pair that are spikeless. I’ve gotten more and more frustrated having to replace spikes after 15 rounds. Now that I’m not walking they should last a bit longer.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Thanks. Cantigny. About 170 yds into the wind. Hit a little draw on a 6 and benefitted from some unintentional backspin.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next