It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
mike the tuba player wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
3 years in, I am down 117 pounds. Currently at another plateau at 208. ( I am 5'9 big strong chest). Switched to keto a few weeks ago, got me down to my current weight, but has leveled off again. Workout 5 days a week, started running too. This may be where it ends. I cant seem to get the last 9 pounds off. My health feels good, my numbers are fine. Goal has always been under 200, but at some point it becomes all consuming and too much of my time is spent worrying about it.

:shock: Wow! :shock:

Very impressive!

What kind of workouts (lifting, cardio, interval training, etc) and dieting plan did you implement to achieve those results? What were the keys to staying committed for 3 years?

Sounds cliche', but its mostly diet. The first 50 pounds came off mostly through exercise and just eating less overall. Counted calories, logged in all my food, kept sugar low and calories down to about 1500 a day for a long time. I did the stairs at swallow cliff a lot. I joined a gym and did the "crossfit" kind of class for a year, then I did Orange theory for a year ( those were the hardest workouts, absolute ass kicker), I did a year of 5k races, I went to a regular gym on the side, and now I am back to the crossfit type classes. I got bored easy with the workouts, and I think it helped changing up. But none of that matters if you dont change your eating habits.

Mostly diet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Jbi11s wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
3 years in, I am down 117 pounds. Currently at another plateau at 208. ( I am 5'9 big strong chest). Switched to keto a few weeks ago, got me down to my current weight, but has leveled off again. Workout 5 days a week, started running too. This may be where it ends. I cant seem to get the last 9 pounds off. My health feels good, my numbers are fine. Goal has always been under 200, but at some point it becomes all consuming and too much of my time is spent worrying about it.

Very impressive!

What kind of workouts (lifting, cardio, interval training, etc) and dieting plan did you implement to achieve those results? What were the keys to staying committed for 3 years?

Sounds cliche', but its mostly diet. The first 50 pounds came off mostly through exercise and just eating less overall. Counted calories, logged in all my food, kept sugar low and calories down to about 1500 a day for a long time. I did the stairs at swallow cliff a lot. I joined a gym and did the "crossfit" kind of class for a year, then I did Orange theory for a year ( those were the hardest workouts, absolute ass kicker), I did a year of 5k races, I went to a regular gym on the side, and now I am back to the crossfit type classes. I got bored easy with the workouts, and I think it helped changing up. But none of that matters if you dont change your eating habits.

Mostly diet?

Isn't weight loss 80% cutting down on calories and 20% working out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 pm 

tommy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Very impressive!

Mostly diet?

Isn't weight loss 80% cutting down on calories and 20% working out?

It is to start. Cutting down was difficult. But the lighter I got, the better I felt, so I wanted to work out more. As I lost more, I didn't want to waste a week of workouts by eating bad. Now its habit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Dropped another half pound this week. I guess I could be a little stricter on my diet, but no complaints since I'm consistently losing weight every week. Drop by drop.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Lost about four pounds this week. Still hoping to drop an additional 10 pounds before Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Tall Midget wrote:
Lost about four pounds this week. Still hoping to drop an additional 10 pounds before Thanksgiving.

10 lbs before turkey day my goal as well. I have been hitting the gym pretty much daily, sometimes twice a day but was also hitting the Halloween candy this week so not much weight loss when you do that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

10 lbs before turkey day my goal as well. I have been hitting the gym pretty much daily, sometimes twice a day but was also hitting the Halloween candy this week so not much weight loss when you do that.

Double workouts? Wow, that's impressive T-Bone! How do you muster the energy for that? What kind of workouts are you doing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:07 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Double workouts? Wow, that's impressive T-Bone! How do you muster the energy for that? What kind of workouts are you doing?

Usually cardio in the early A.M. and lifting after work when I go twice. Usually 30-40 minutes on the elliptical before I fully wakeup.
When I go back in the afternoon it is about 30 minutes of weights and then I try to do another 20-30 on the elliptical. I am ready to
get on the treadmill starting tonight and get my real jogging legs under me. I did a couple miles a week or so ago and it didn't go too
badly. My biggest challenge of it is the boredom that can set in at the gym so I need to have good music going and something to at least
keep my interest on the TV. it is going to be just shy of 50 degrees outside tonight after work so I think I may just do my 3 mile course and
see if I can do it in under 33 minutes. That would be really slow but if I can do it without stopping it would give me a starting point.

How are you getting the weight to fall off? Longer runs? More intensity ( faster )? Doing it more often?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:02 pm 

Just pushed out three miles. I haven't run that far outside in quite a while. Finished in 30 minutes with 4 short 15 second breaks the last mile which is all uphill. Much better than I was expecting but it was painful. Legs starting to cramp up pretty good :lol: It's a start

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Just pushed out three miles. I haven't run that far outside in quite a while. Finished in 30 minutes with 4 short 15 second breaks the last mile which is all uphill. Much better than I was expecting but it was painful. Legs starting to cramp up pretty good :lol: It's a start

That's a really good time for your first try. I used to run outside all the time, even during the worst parts of winter. Haven't done that on a regular basis in a few years, but I'm thinking about getting some outdoor work in again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Usually cardio in the early A.M. and lifting after work when I go twice. Usually 30-40 minutes on the elliptical before I fully wakeup.
When I go back in the afternoon it is about 30 minutes of weights and then I try to do another 20-30 on the elliptical. I am ready to
get on the treadmill starting tonight and get my real jogging legs under me. I did a couple miles a week or so ago and it didn't go too
badly. My biggest challenge of it is the boredom that can set in at the gym so I need to have good music going and something to at least
keep my interest on the TV. it is going to be just shy of 50 degrees outside tonight after work so I think I may just do my 3 mile course and
see if I can do it in under 33 minutes. That would be really slow but if I can do it without stopping it would give me a starting point.

How are you getting the weight to fall off? Longer runs? More intensity ( faster )? Doing it more often?

Right now, I think it's more diet than exercise.

I'm running on the treadmill 5 days a week, and have made a lot of progress in increasing the length and intensity of my workouts. Even with these increases, though, I'm still not burning a ton of calories (although I can tell that my metabolism has definitely "awoken" after an extended dormant period).

I have, however, been able to significantly reduce my caloric intake by being a lot smarter and more disciplined about my diet. Decreasing portion size and eliminating sugary beverages have definitely made a big difference so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

That's a really good time for your first try. I used to run outside all the time, even during the worst parts of winter. Haven't done that on a regular basis in a few years, but I'm thinking about getting some outdoor work in again.

It was much better than I was expecting. Probably need to hit the course again, maybe tonight and try to make it without stopping. That last mile was a
meat grinder. I could do the course backwards and have the steady downhill run first but then I would have to go up a very steep incline at the end which
doesn't seem like much fun. I'd rather run down the big hill and do the steady uphill at the end. Hit the gym 6 of 7 days last week which is a personal
record but the scale isn't moving much. I know it will start moving soon so not getting frustrated. I feel much better and feel a lot more solid than I was
even just a few weeks ago. I don't feel like a bowl of jello and nearly as self-conscious as before. Still coming down to what fuel I am putting in my body.
I'll try to buckle down more this week. Hope you others are having better luck on the weight loss. Nice work TM.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've lost about 8 pounds now, hopefully on my way to 40 or more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Gained a pound this week :cry: Not surprised, one of the rinks I skate at was closed for the week and I only got in 2 workouts instead of my standard 3. Also went out for a big dinner at Fahlstrom Fish Market night before weigh in.

On the ice 4x this week so hoping to get rid of that pound and then some.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 am 

Considering putting a reward system in place for myself to see if that increases my results.

Goal one - losing 15 lbs --- new Vokey PW

Goal two - losing 25 lbs --- new driving iron

Goal three -- losing 35 lbs -- new driver

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Made it up to 40 minutes on the treadmill early this morning. Did some interval work over the last 10 minutes of the run. Not feeling too horrific right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:25 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Made it up to 40 minutes on the treadmill early this morning. Did some interval work over the last 10 minutes of the run. Not feeling too horrific right now.

:salut: Impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Not really. I'm running pretty slow mile times. At least I'm improving, though, and the weight is continuing to come off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Not really. I'm running pretty slow mile times. At least I'm improving, though, and the weight is continuing to come off.

I took yesterday off so you are doing better than me. Back at it tonight. Keep it up! I wouldn't be too concerned about times at this point if you
aren't running a race sometime soon. I'd love to do 40 minutes non stop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:31 am 
1000 CLUB

41 minutes on the treadmill early this morning. Stuck with some interval training again in the final ten minutes or so. I'm trying to make this a bigger part of my workouts since it really seems to boost your metabolism and facilitate weight loss.

How'd you do yesterday, T-Bone?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
41 minutes on the treadmill early this morning. Stuck with some interval training again in the final ten minutes or so. I'm trying to make this a bigger part of my workouts since it really seems to boost your metabolism and facilitate weight loss.

Something came up that I had to take care of and didn't make it. Try again today.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:43 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Something came up that I had to take care of and didn't make it. Try again today.

Stay with it, T-Bone! Thanksgiving isn't too far off now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I've moved onto stairs primarily at the gym. Completely checked out of running and jogging due to foot pain.

3000 stairs in 40 minutes will get your heart moving.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 am 
1000 CLUB

TurdFerguson wrote:
I've moved onto stairs primarily at the gym. Completely checked out of running and jogging due to foot pain.

I used to do the stairmill a lot at the gym. It's a good machine. Weirdly, though, I've never tried a stair climber. Is that what you're using?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Tall Midget wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I used to do the stairmill a lot at the gym. It's a good machine. Weirdly, though, I've never tried a stair climber. Is that what you're using?

Yes. At my gym there is some amazing ass on them to. Helps the time go by.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:23 am 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:

Lost another 4 lbs this week. 6 more to go by Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Cut out booze and you'll be there in 2 weeks. I stopped drinking for a month and dropped a couple inches from the waistline without exercising.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am 
1000 CLUB

SpiralStairs wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Cut out booze and you'll be there in 2 weeks. I stopped drinking for a month and dropped a couple inches from the waistline without exercising.

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped drinking alcohol over the past six weeks or so--with the exception of one weekend trip. I've also drastically reduced my consumption of sugary beverages like soda and fruit juice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:21 am 

Been doing 30 minutes cardio in the morning and then going back for more in the afternoons. Usually combo of lifting and cardio.
Going to try to do 35 - 40 minute jog this afternoon after lifting. I feel like I am getting a lot stronger the past 3 weeks or so. Now
that I am not going to do that coaching thing I want to try to stretch this out to 45-60 minutes cardio in the morning and then 75-90
minute workout in the afternoon. Becoming more of a routine to just go instead of talking myself out of going. We will see how the
weekend goes. Would like to go twice each day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Been doing 30 minutes cardio in the morning and then going back for more in the afternoons. Usually combo of lifting and cardio.
Going to try to do 35 - 40 minute jog this afternoon after lifting. I feel like I am getting a lot stronger the past 3 weeks or so. Now
that I am not going to do that coaching thing I want to try to stretch this out to 45-60 minutes cardio in the morning and then 75-90
minute workout in the afternoon. Becoming more of a routine to just go instead of talking myself out of going. We will see how the
weekend goes. Would like to go twice each day.

Have you thought about doing interval training for your cardio exercise? That should help you keep your overall workout length manageable while still burning a lot of calories. Shorter but intense interval-based workouts have been shown to be more effective in helping people lose weight than exercising for longer periods at a steady pace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next