It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Decided to take Friday off and will play Friday thru Monday. Kind of have a difficult situation at home right now and will not be taking any vacations this year so going to try to eat up as much vacation time around holidays to make long weekends and such. Weather looking a little sketchy but should be dry at least 3 of the 4 days in the early morning.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:10 pm 

Played in a scramble last Friday, and a normal round Sunday. Game getting better, but still having a few more WTF shots than I would like. Putting has been a letdown so far this spring. Not many 3-putts, but just can't make anything. Made a few putts for par saves Sunday, so maybe things will start to turn. Shot 75 (+5) with zero birdies, on a course that should manage 1 or 2 just because...

Have a teetime for Saturday afternoon for a course that looks a little harder than typical, so we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:11 am 

casual fan wrote:
Played in a scramble last Friday, and a normal round Sunday. Game getting better, but still having a few more WTF shots than I would like. Putting has been a letdown so far this spring. Not many 3-putts, but just can't make anything. Made a few putts for par saves Sunday, so maybe things will start to turn. Shot 75 (+5) with zero birdies, on a course that should manage 1 or 2 just because...

Have a teetime for Saturday afternoon for a course that looks a little harder than typical, so we'll see how it goes.

Nice shooting. The last few weeks I have been having a few WTF moments as well, typically early in my round. I'll have a double or two and then settle in and play well the rest of the way. Happens every year where I play well the first month and then struggle for a month and then things seem to get progressively better so hoping I'm on the upswing.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:24 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
Decided to take Friday off and will play Friday thru Monday. Kind of have a difficult situation at home right now and will not be taking any vacations this year so going to try to eat up as much vacation time around holidays to make long weekends and such. Weather looking a little sketchy but should be dry at least 3 of the 4 days in the early morning.

That sucks, T-Bone. I hope things start improving soon. Things have been difficult in your house for a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:30 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

That sucks, T-Bone. I hope things start improving soon. Things have been difficult in your house for a while.

Starting to think that I must be the problem! :lol: :eye:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:32 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Starting to think that I must be the problem! :lol: :eye:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
have a couple rounds lined up for the weekend. Tomorrow night 4:18 at Sunset Valley, hopefully we get it all in before sundown. Monday morning 7:48 at Shepherd's Crook, always loved that course. And if the wind is blowing the right way on a hot day you can not only see the Bluffs of Zion, you can smell them.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:48 am 

Interested to hear how Shepherds is, I haven’t played there in probably 3 years. They redid the putting green and it’s, uh, a little messed up. Fun for Putting contests but totally not functional as a practice green.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:02 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Interested to hear how Shepherds is, I haven’t played there in probably 3 years. They redid the putting green and it’s, uh, a little messed up. Fun for Putting contests but totally not functional as a practice green.

Love the new putting/chipping green. They even threw in a bunker. But yea, it's very hilly and better suited for fun putting contests than getting ready for your round.

Course was a bear yesterday morning. 58 degrees with 25 MPH winds and no sun. Never warmed up during our round. And there were some very wet areas on some fairways. I was beyond awful. Trouble striking the ball. Fat shots, thin shots, skulled greenside chips. Even had a shank which usually requires me to seek mental health counselling. Usually a sign my back is pretty stiff. Drilled a 25 foot putt on 18 to save a 98 from the white tees. Not my best work out there.

85 Saturday night at Sunset Valley despite hitting 2 fairways all day.

6 rounds in and my index is a 12.8. Will try and get in at least one more round before my big French Lick golf trip June 6. Looks like I'll be getting some strokes on the golf trip so not too upset about yesterday's debacle.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:06 am 

Played The Preserve at Oak Meadows in Addison on Saturday. Course was remodeled in 2017, with a lot of prairie areas and the wetlands/floodplain along the Salt Creek being reclaimed. I really liked the layout, and would recommend it to anyone that shoots 80's or better. Worse than that, and you might spend more time swearing over lost golf balls than enjoying the course. They do have 5 sets of tees (and a couple hybrid layouts), so if you're realistic about the tees you play, it's more manageable. Almost every tee shot requires some thought on how you want to play the hole. Many are setup with wide landing areas if you are willing to hit 4i, 5W, 3W, off the tee. Things tighten up/or fairway runs out with driver. On the 14 par 4/5's I hit driver 4 times.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:27 am 

casual fan wrote:
Played The Preserve at Oak Meadows in Addison on Saturday. Course was remodeled in 2017, with a lot of prairie areas and the wetlands/floodplain along the Salt Creek being reclaimed. I really liked the layout, and would recommend it to anyone that shoots 80's or better. Worse than that, and you might spend more time swearing over lost golf balls than enjoying the course. They do have 5 sets of tees (and a couple hybrid layouts), so if you're realistic about the tees you play, it's more manageable. Almost every tee shot requires some thought on how you want to play the hole. Many are setup with wide landing areas if you are willing to hit 4i, 5W, 3W, off the tee. Things tighten up/or fairway runs out with driver. On the 14 par 4/5's I hit driver 4 times.

haven't played it since the re-do, but heard good things.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Supposed to play Sunday afternoon/evening if its dry.

Cog Hill offers family golf on Saturday (course 1) and Sunday (course 3) evenings. $13/person for golf w/cart. Starts at 5:30pm.
For anyone in the area with youngins, I highly recommend the family golf. Even if its a bit of a drive, for that rate its worth it to play. Cog #1 was in near perfect condition. As close to a country club as I have ever seen on a public course, and this was at 6pm after a busy Saturday on a holiday weekend. It was absolutely awesome. More than enough daylight for 9 holes...we actually played 11. My wife played her first round in about 5 years and while she had a couple duffs, she was able to move the ball 80-100yd more often than not. Once my little guy got the hang of things (one ball per hole, each person takes their turn on the green, drive up to shorter tee, etc) he had a blast. If he keeps at this game my guess is he will beat me by the time he is 10 or 12. They don't really have the family tees marked well. They are there, but its a small round marker next to the cart path in the grass so very easy to miss. We just went to 100 yards and they teed up there.

I played the regular tees, and holed out for Eagle on the par 5 sixth. My first time ever doing so on a full swing. Have done it MANY times on chips or pitches, but this was about 65yd uphill to the green so took a full swing with my 60° and the ball dropped in the hole just as it died out. I was pretty pumped. That closed out a stretch of three consecutive 3's (par, birdie, eagle) also something I had never done outside of a par 3 course. Had a rough start, but shot 38 which was very cool.

Went out the Sunday at Silver Lake and did not do so hot. 49-46 for a 95. Started out with bogey on 7 of the first 8 holes which is fine. Then the wheels sort of fell off as I wasn't able to muster a par until the 14th hole. The beer was really getting to me but somehow I birdied 17, then whiffed on 18 :lol: Swallowed my pride and went to the drop zone, got up and down for a 5.

Cannot speak higher of the family golf at Cog. Simply a wonderful evening that we are going to try to repeat on Father's Day weekend.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 1:14 pm 

Glad you had a nice time Frank and congrats on the hole out. Cool moment to have with your whole family there to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:44 am 

Finally starting to play some solid golf, which feels good. Nothing worse than bogey this weekend for the first time in a while. Now if it would just dry out…..I have a work outing on the 10th and would like to play well for the scramble team on a nice track.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:08 am 

Scramble at Grand Geneva today, should be interesting. Not sure what course we are playing but the weather looking good at least. Playing with three people from work so pretty sure we won’t be winning anything but hopefully make some birdies and have some fun for charity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Enjoy the course!

Playing Cog Hill #3 Thursday morning, then family golf back at Cog #1 again Saturday night for Father's Day festivities. Looking forward to it!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Scramble at Grand Geneva today, should be interesting. Not sure what course we are playing but the weather looking good at least. Playing with three people from work so pretty sure we won’t be winning anything but hopefully make some birdies and have some fun for charity.

Which course? Should be a beautiful day for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:07 pm 

Got back from my golf trip last night. Fantastic time. Unfortunately my back did not hold up and I couldn't finish the round at the best course we played and then struggled to play the next and final day of the trip. here is a breakdown:

Day 1: lunch at Shapiros. So good. If you are ever in Indy you must go there. Best corned beef and pastrami around, even better than any you can find in Chicago. Then we played The Fort. Very nice course to play on the travel day. Great way to get everyone's feet wet. I played pretty good considering I spent 3 hours in the car prior to the round. Shot an 88.

Dinner was at the famous St Elmo's steakhouse. It was good, but I would say it was average at best compared to fancy steakhouses in Chicago. Steak was great, but the sides and apps were not up to the standard I would expect at a fancy steakhouse.

Day 2: Drove to French Lick. Afternoon round at Donald Ross. Amazing course, some of the toughest greens you'll ever play. This was my 3rd time playing it so knew what to expect. 2 club wind most of the day. Played my best round of the weekend and finished with an 85, my first time breaking 90 at this course. Dinner was at Hagans in teh clubhouse. Great ribs.

Day 3: 18 hole scramble at Valley Links. Its' a 9 hole course next to hotel, but we played it twice. I played pretty good, had a great up and down for eagle where I hit a 190 yard hybrid to 40 feet and then drained the putt. Had lunnhc and then a 20 minute rest before heading to the famous Pete Dye course for 4:00 round. My back said "Fvck you" to me and decided to call it quits. Lots of throbbing pain in lower back and also sciatic pain going down leg. Game fell apart and when that does it always leads to uncontrolled hozzle shanks. Had about 8 of them before I finally called it quits on #17 tee box. I was tracking for 100+ and they gave me a 102 which was generous.

Dinner at Legendz sports bar, one of the only halfway decent places to eat in town.

Day 4: final round at Sultan's Run. Love this course. But, I gave myself a 30% chance of finishing. i was hapy that I was able to finish, but my back continued to be a mess and I had about 6 shanks. Several other fat shots because that is the only way I can recover from the shanks. Finished with a 96, but was just happy I finished.

A great trip, great bunch of guys. Only knew 2 of the guys going in, met the other 6 there and by day 2 we were all buddies. Already talks about next year's plans. Wish my back held up, but it is what it is. This is my 3rd trip to French Lick and the 2nd time my back stopped me from playing. Might have to axe French Lick from the rotation. Thinking maybe all the driving is leading to the quicker decline of my back as the weekend progresses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:13 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Which course? Should be a beautiful day for it.

Ended up being The Brute and it lived up to its name. Weather was great and we had a nice time but the golf wasn’t too good. A 6 hour round is just tough to get any rhythm going. Also was interesting because the cicadas are crazy out there. I live 40 minutes East and I hadn’t seen or heard one all year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:00 am 

Sort of a Penske file day here so I added up a few stats from this year. 25 eighteen hole rounds and 3 nine holers thus far. I just track stats on the 18's.

Stroke average is exactly 78. I suspect that will trend downwards now that the weather is a bit better, and the swing is getting grooved a bit

42.2% of fairways. Would really like to see this get up to 50%. I've been switching between two drivers all season and one doesn't go particularly straighter than the other but one goes further and also allows me to work the ball left to right when I need to, so I have been favoring that one.

44% of greens. Again, I would really like to see this number closer to 55% but easier said than done

30.48 putts a round and averaging 1 three putt per. Sort of a misleading stat as it's very dependent on how many greens one hits

56% scramble percentage around the greens. Would like to get up and down more than 60% of the time

24% sand saves. Last year I was above 50% which was the best I'd ever done. Certainly feel like 33% or higher would be ok.

1.64 birdies per round. Would love to get over 2 per round but that is going to take some better all-around play. Broken par on 4 nines this year but 73 has been my best round 3x

I'm about 5 rounds ahead of last year's pace as the weather has been good this year, and really no rainouts on the weekends. About 4 rounds behind my all time pace but I still have quite a bit of vacation to burn up so I should be able to start playing once during the week before work a bit more often.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6