It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Weird round yesterday. After stumbling on the last few holes on the front nine, I peeled off 9 straight pars on the back and hit all 9 greens. Not sure I have ever done that in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Damn, that's very impressive. Well done.

After some lackluster and downright brutal golf, I had some random guy on the range point out tell me what my problem was. He could tell I was frustrated and politely offered his observations. I was more picking the club up instead and sort of chopping at the ball rather than taking it back along the ground some. I tried to really focus on slowing and shortening my backswing and including a short pause at the top of the swing, which seemed to fix MANY of the issued I had been having. It was quite the "Ah Ha" moment.

Was able to shoot a 93 (49 - 44) at Coyote Run early Saturday morning, but was more than satisfied and TBH hit the ball better than that overall. Still had a couple shanks and bad shots with a couple big numbers because the I'm so used to doing the wrong thing that 'right' way to swing feels unnatural. Drove the ball decently, the short game was pretty good, and was able to card 6 pars. So hopefully turned a corner and will be able to get back to around upper 90s and low 90s more consistently rather than shooting 105-110.

For as dry as its been, Coyote was in wonderful shape. A few dry spots but every tee, putting surface, and fairway was pure green. This summer especially its more than obvious which courses really take care of the place and which ones only use mowers.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Taking tomorrow off as I have a late morning doctor appt, but that allows for a quick 18 early. Golf the next 3 days is just what I could use after this week. Really would like to string together two nines and put a red number for 18 up there this year.

Enjoy. I will be here http://www.invitedclubs.com/clubs/nags-head-golf-links Tuesday 8 something tee.

Looks like a fun place to tee it up. Forecast currently showing at least 50% chance of rain next Tuesday down there, so I hope that changes.

Yeah the beach is always a hit or miss storm thing.

You should be ok early, we aren't expecting rain until close to noon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
93 at Nag’s Head. Too much water. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:13 am 

My regular guys are out this weekend. One in Europe and the other in Vegas. Might have some company tomorrow but I'd say that is 50/50. Sunday I am supposed to have a buddy meet me but there is a chance of rain in the morning so not sure if he will show. I'm going to give it a shot, even if raining, playing by myself, I should be able to get around in like 90 minutes with a cart depending on any grounds crew out there. Hope you guys are getting out somewhere this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Thinking of grabbing a new driver for the first time in about 10yrs.

Last year’s models have been priced down a ton with new versions hitting the market. You can get a Stralth or Mavrik for $400 or less.

Any thoughts on best models out there?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:43 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Last year’s models have been priced down a ton with new versions hitting the market. You can get a Stralth or Mavrik for $400 or less.

I am a big fan of the "used" Mavrik 3W I bought two years ago from Callaway pre-owned, pretty sure it was a dealer demo. I use that off the tee most of the time down here, as NC courses dont deal well with with low sweeping draws off the driver the way I learned to hit them in Illinois.

Meanwhile, my irons suck. As does the person hitting them, but I grew up playing Skokie's finest 1980 Wilson Staff blades in my 20s-40s, and the Lynx "game improvement" irons I bought at 45 just have never felt right other than the lightweight graphite shafts. (I still have my Staff 8 for chipping and for when it's a really soggy lie.) I have a very low swing speed and a short back swing, almost like an elongated pitch. So even at 150 from the hole, these days I'm using my 3H or 7W depending on what's in the way. I play off of senior tees, usually 5600 yards.

I am really intrigued by Callaway's Epic Star Max irons. They are very lightweight and geared towards getting more lift on the ball, but have a bounce that isn't as severe as my current clubs. I may spring for a used 6 and see how I like it. If I can get some more consistency with it, I could carry D, 3w, 7w, 3h, 6epic on the long end of my bag.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:28 am 

There is a lot of good equipment out there at various price points. In most cases it is probably a good idea to get fit which would have you hit in a cage with a fitter who can put you in a club that works for your swing and they can get you into a club that spins the right amount. Also allows you to hit multiple clubs and shafts. I spent a small fortune on irons this last off season and looking back on it I should have been fit. I think long term they will work great but I bought less forgiving clubs than I had and I hit them a club shorter than my last set so it’s been a bit of a head scratcher although I think it’s likely a combo of the shafts and smaller sweet spot.

Your big companies like Titleist, Callaway, Ping or Taylor Made all make very good stuff. Another option is to check the used bin if you have a good idea what you want. MANY people buy new and find out they can’t hit the club so it’s traded in and a new one is purchased.

I can’t stomach buying a $600 club so going with a previous model is an excellent idea if you can get a deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:45 am 

If you truly buy one every 10 years then get the Callaway Paradym driver. $200 over 10 years isn't that much different for something you'll enjoy more. I got the 3 wood and it's amazing. My friend who is a much better golfer than me got the driver fitted for him and he loves it too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:50 am 

90 minutes this morning by myself in a cart. It was awesome. Rolled out of the parking lot at 7:30 :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:56 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: Truly a beautiful thing. How'd you hit 'em?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:00 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: Truly a beautiful thing. How'd you hit 'em?

Hit them pretty well except for a double bogey. I’m working on a new shot that’s been a game changer when I can pull it off. Heading out again this morning. Might be 90 degree or cart paths only after some heavy rain last night.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

Take more time, Cantlay. Maybe then you will make a short putt.

Great to see Kegan back in form

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:47 pm 

Crazy game. Bradley tried to give that one up, but Cantlay wet himself on the last few holes.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Oops, I meant to put that in the PGA thread. Oh well

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:01 pm 

It took me forever, but I finally got out on a course in advance of another storm. I managed to get 13 in (and a skipped par 3 when a foursome let me play through) before the humidity started kicking my ass and my back muscles started tightening up. But the 67 minute front 9 was fantastic.

I deliberately picked one of the worst and emptiest places on GolfNow, about an hour from me. A total cow pasture, it reminded me of what Indian Boundary was like in the late 80s on an August day. No sand, more crabgrass than fairway grass so everything was ground under repair to me.

$22 riding. Absolutely silly. It was a good place for me to work on following through with my hips and keeping my eyes on the point of contact through the swing and not peeking up to try and pick up where the ball is going. I had about 12 good (for me) shots on the front nine, and decent tee shots (for me) on 10-14.

If they could actually take care of their fairways and maybe put in ten easy green side traps, it would be a pretty decent course.

If the weather allows, I will be able to get out onto a much better course on the 5th or 6th. Meanwhile, I need to find a driving range with grass tee boxes so I can work on driver/3w/3h.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:12 pm 

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy. I also need to get to the range once a week. I keep telling myself to go but never make it. I could use work on everything but still don't have a consistent go to ball flight for the irons, specifically the 5, 6 and 7 as well as the hybrids. They tend to want to hook a bit too much on me so I would like to be able to straighten that out some. I've managed to switch most of my drives to a little sawed off cut shot. Even though it goes maybe 25-30 yards shorter than a big sweeping draw, I am finding twice as many fairways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:54 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Glad you were able to get out and enjoy. I also need to get to the range once a week. I keep telling myself to go but never make it. I could use work on everything but still don't have a consistent go to ball flight for the irons, specifically the 5, 6 and 7 as well as the hybrids. They tend to want to hook a bit too much on me so I would like to be able to straighten that out some. I've managed to switch most of my drives to a little sawed off cut shot. Even though it goes maybe 25-30 yards shorter than a big sweeping draw, I am finding twice as many fairways.

I find that going to a range with mats makes me play worse, it does something to my swing mechanics. The mat tee is the wrong height, I develop bad habits trying to pick the ball with the bottom of my irons, etc.

I know the course where I had a membership before my dad got sick has grass tee boxes at their range, I may have to drive down there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I find that going to a range with mats makes me play worse, it does something to my swing mechanics. The mat tee is the wrong height, I develop bad habits trying to pick the ball with the bottom of my irons, etc.

I know the course where I had a membership before my dad got sick has grass tee boxes at their range, I may have to drive down there.

A great man probably once said, "the range is for cowards and losers."

Don't waste your time with that place, just get on the course and play golf. Use your range time to work on your greenside chipping and putting at the putting green. That's stuff you actually need a lot of repetition to get good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:10 am 
100000 CLUB

Agree for the most part.

Don't use mats. They suck and give you a false sense of security. Generally I'll hit 12-15 balls at the range just to get loose, and then go to the short game area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I'm putting in a lot of range time (no mats). I got a lesson last Thursday - my first "formal" lesson in probably 35 years. I was way to open at the top and he got me in the correct position. I really need to groove that and to work on swinging out now that I am square at the top. He told me "you'll miss a lot of shots left at first", and he's right but at least the contact is solid. Lessons are a waste of money unless you work on what you were taught on the range if you want it to translate to the course.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:04 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I'm putting in a lot of range time (no mats). I got a lesson last Thursday - my first "formal" lesson in probably 35 years. I was way to open at the top and he got me in the correct position. I really need to groove that and to work on swinging out now that I am square at the top. He told me "you'll miss a lot of shots left at first", and he's right but at least the contact is solid. Lessons are a waste of money unless you work on what you were taught on the range if you want it to translate to the course.

yea if you're a good golfer lessons and range time are very beneficial. For the bozos who post here it's a lot of just repeating the same bad habits. They would be better off skipping the range and just working on short game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
shakes wrote:
Franky T wrote:

yea if you're a good golfer lessons and range time are very beneficial. For the bozos who post here it's a lot of just repeating the same bad habits. They would be better off skipping the range and just working on short game.

That’s what’s fun about playing with a 30 handicap who takes 4 practice strokes before each shot.

When every motion is different, what the fuck does the practice swing do? Hit the fucking ball and move on.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:57 pm 

shakes wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Chipping and lag putting especially.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:27 pm 

Franky T wrote:
shakes wrote:
Franky T wrote:

100 yards and in if you really want to improve your score.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:19 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Franky T wrote:
shakes wrote:
Franky T wrote:

100 yards and in if you really want to improve your score.

yep, lower end players should spend all their practice time in that exact range, 100 yards and in and then putting. As opposed to rapid firing a bucket of balls with your $500 driver.

I personally love working on greenside chips within 10-20 yards. How often do you miss a green by a little bit? Especially if you don't hit it far and are going after greens with long irons or woods. You can still save that par or bogey with a greenside up and down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:56 pm 

Something "clicked" for me today on the range after my lesson and a week of practice. I have my 9 hole league tomorrow after work and a match play game on Friday morning against a really good stick. I hope what I have worked on will translate to the course. I am worried that I have spent so much time on my irons that my driver or putter will fail me because golf lol. We shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:21 am 

Got an unscheduled round in this morning. Two doubles on the front and a triple on the back nine. Ugh... Finding new ways to shoot myself and my score right in the foot. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:17 pm 

2 pars and 7 double bogeys or worse. Solid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:57 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Got an unscheduled round in this morning. Two doubles on the front and a triple on the back nine. Ugh... Finding new ways to shoot myself and my score right in the foot. :lol:

sounds like one of my scorecards. Play 13 holes at 2 over. Play 5 holes at 10 over.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next