It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Chus wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
161, 148, then the beer really kicked in with a 126. Very rusty, but found my groove for about 8-10 frames from the middle of the first game to the middle of the second. Trying to talk the wife into maybe doing a summer league. They have one at a local house for $20 a week, but you get a new ball at the end of it. Seems like a pretty good deal. We'll see what happens.

Buy this ball:

That ball has been blown out of the water by the Crux. (see my earlier post - I have them both).

I'm doing just fine with the Sync.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I like my Sync. I have had far better luck with my Zero Gravity (last year's summer league ball). My wife bought me an IQ Tour Nano that I will pick up tomorrow night before league...looking forward to trying that out. I had to but new shoes so I'm going back to Dexter...have the SST Tank on the way...I love my old school Linds but they have shit for support.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
30 clean sounds like a detox diet.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Surprised more of you are not Seeing these Crux balls at your centers. There are at least a dozen in my league alone.

I am not exaggerating - it is a crazy good ball. Especially if you love the back end rip of the Sync. It rips about twice as hard. Again, just my observation.

I see them all the time. I bowl with a guy that throws one. Great ball. I just went a different direction with my newer equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:19 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Surprised more of you are not Seeing these Crux balls at your centers. There are at least a dozen in my league alone.

I am not exaggerating - it is a crazy good ball. Especially if you love the back end rip of the Sync. It rips about twice as hard. Again, just my observation.

I'm well aware of the new balls. They are in the pro shop, and my guy knows all about them. I just bought that ball last year, so I'm not in the market for a ball.

When I was shopping for a ball, he gave me a few that he thought would be best for my game. The Sync has not disappointed.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:49 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:

I see them all the time. I bowl with a guy that throws one. Great ball. I just went a different direction with my newer equipment.

Yeah, those ones you are throwing are more polished finish cranker balls, no?

No.

In fact the way my IQ compares is that it's constructed for a heavy oil shot.

The Zero is an evolved version of the Sync.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 pm 

224-256-203--683

Two open frames, both were ten pins. I covered 6 of 8 ten pins, and only had one ball that didn't get nine or better. If this was 9 pin no tap, I would have shot 300-300-278. Started the second game with 7 strikes. This is probably the best seven week STRETCH! that I have ever had. This guy doesn't need a new ball. We took 19.5 out of 30 points. My average is up to 210.86

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:56 am 

Well done Chus.

I learned last night that Hawthorn is dumping double the units of oil on the lanes on Thursday at around noon...then bringing in Jr high groups to bowl on them. 2 weeks in a row on Thursdays with no back end and no oil breakdown...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Chus wrote:
224-256-203--683

Two open frames, both were ten pins. I covered 6 of 8 ten pins, and only had one ball that didn't get nine or better. If this was 9 pin no tap, I would have shot 300-300-278. Started the second game with 7 strikes. This is probably the best seven week STRETCH! that I have ever had. This guy doesn't need a new ball. We took 19.5 out of 30 points. My average is up to 210.86

That's fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 pm 

222-192-239--653

Another ridiculous oil pattern last night. Very sneaky on the back end, which resulted in a ton of splits and ten pin leaves all over the house.

1st game - Buried the first four strikes. Then the wheels fell off temporarily. The ball took off in the 5th frame, leaving a 3-10 baby split, which I covered. Two awful splits followed. Spare in the 8th, four strikes to finish. 222.

2nd game - Strike in the first frame, and then 4 ten pin leaves in the next five frames. I left five 10 pins in this game, covering four of them. 192.

3rd game - The lanes were blowed up at this point. Normally, my thumb is pointed at 12 o'clock when I throw, but at this point, I had my thumb pointing at 9 o'clock, and just came around the ball, while throwing it fast. 5 strikes in a row from the third through seventh frames, and 8 in the game.

We took 20 out of 30, and are inching closer to first place.

13937 pins in 66 games for a 211.17 average.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:56 pm 

667 last night...225, 224, 218. Same shitty double oil long pattern. Got a new ball (IQ Tour Nano...prepping for nationals), which helped a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
GO BOYD!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:27 am 

:D

I have better hair.

Looking forward to teaching my daughter the game...need about 4 years for that to start though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 pm 

216-248-195--659

Crazy oil pattern. I left FIVE 7-pins tonight, and actually missed one, which was my only open of the night. 4 for 4 on ten pins. Couldn't carry in the last game. We took 14 out of 30 from a bad team. They had 173 more handicap than us.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
after a horrible slump i finally snapped out of it last night - 241 - 215 - 235 - 691. i have been bowling SOOO fucking bad it felt great to finally get back. i only left one 7-pin and whiffed it on the inside, but other than that i was clean. hopefully i can rally here the last weeks and get the average up around 200 again.

last night i noticed several people using the Crux, including one guy on my pair who was struggling with it, thing has a HUGE back end. it was his first series with it, but after game one he seemed to get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
This is pretty good. A real-life Kingpin with a local angle.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/sports/100 ... v=top-news

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
DannyB wrote:
This is pretty good. A real-life Kingpin with a local angle.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/sports/100 ... v=top-news

That took an unexpected turn, but was definitely worth the 12 minutes. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 am 

204-235-225--664

Not bad for my first action since March 5th. I only covered three of six ten pins, and a chopped 6-10 in the 10th frame of game three was my 4th open of the night. That 6-10 was the only ball out of 33, that didn't tally nine or more. I was in the pocket all night, getting 22 strikes.

We only took 12 out of 30 (I got my three points), and our lead is down to 4.5 points, with three weeks left.

211.94 after 72 games.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
My average has been plummeting except for the past two weeks. Had a decent (for me) night last night, 166-157-144. Missed a lot of 10 pins and only hit 50% of those spares. Had awful 10th frames in the 1st and 3rd game, that would have put me in the 170+ and 150+, had I spared and had a decent 3rd shot. Had two turkeys tho...so, that was nice.
We won all three games. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Slowly getting to respectability. Still terribly erratic, but went 137(ouch!)-212-196 last week, and the 196 was an open-free game until the last frame, where I blew an easy-ass 8-pin by missing my mark way left.

There is nothing more frustrating to a right-handed bowler, than burying the ball, and leaving an 8-pin.

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I made a charge last year - my first year bowling since I was basically 11 - to finish with a 133 average, but this year I am up to a 155. I hope to get to 170+ next season, and I think I can do it. The way I am bowling the last 4 weeks or so, I'm about 180 scratch avg.

It's not that difficult to go from 155 to 175. Pick up two more spares each game, and you improve by 20 right there. It's a lot harder to go from 175 to 195, and even harder to go from 195 to 210+. Now, it's about stringing strikes together.

If you are on a strike, and you leave a difficult split, such as a 4-6-7, don't try to cover them all. A good bowler gets two, which is four when added to the strike.

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Learning to throw a proper hook as a grown adult can be very frustrating. It has taken me a long time to have good balance and fight my way through a lot of bogus tendencies, but I'm getting there. Right now, I just gotta stay behind the ball better on downswing and square my shoulders more at the point of release. I was tending to finish with my shoulders open to the right and hand on the side of the ball, which actually led me to throwing 2 frames (in different weeks) with two balls dumped right into the gutter consecutively (very embarrassing, as we are in a premier skills league!).

It takes a long time to put it all together. Good footwork is essential, but keeping your hand behind the ball is the most important aspect of the shot. Even if you miss your mark, the ball will still hit the pins hard, and drive through them, if it is turning. When you come around the side of the ball, and it spins, you get no pocket action.

There are times when our lanes get so dry, that I have to come around the ball a bit, just to keep it from hooking off the lane.

Q.Bovifs wrote:
My handicap is what makes me valuable, though. Started out at 63 (limit), I am now down to 57, but when I throw over 200, it really helps the team. I'd like to get under 50 next year.

Our lowest guy is about 170, so we have one guy with handicap. Our anchor is just a killer, he can shoot 725 drinking Jager bombs all night. We have three solid guys in the middle of the order. This is a pretty good formula.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 pm 

701 tonight...we lost in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:45 am 

I shot the best series of my life last night. 276-258-225--759

Nine strikes to start the first game, and none of them were cheap. Buried the ball in the 10th, and of course, left a 10 pin.

Second game, I started strike, open (10-pin), spare, and finished with 9 strikes.

Third game, I needed two strikes in the 10th to beat the league high series (762). Buried the first. Buried the second, but somehow the 7-pin stood. My average is up to 213.58.

We lost two of three games, and will need a miracle next week, to get to the roll off.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:20 am 

wow, great bowling guys. 700's going up all over the place to end the season. i haven't bowled a 700 recently but i have been able to crank out a nice string of 5 of 6 600's to end my average free-fall and climb back up to 197 after bottoming out around 192 back in February. i don't know what happened there, but i had about 6 weeks of horrible bowling and as suddenly as it started it went away and i have been back to normal.

my team is evaporating around me though, we are having a hard time fielding a lineup each week, last night we had to bowl a man short. we still took 2 games and series, but the hassle of trying to find subs all the time is wearing me out. i think I'm going to fold the team next year and try to latch on to another stronger team. We had a nice three-year run but dealing with all that every Thursday is frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Chus wrote:

Nine strikes to start the first game, and none of them were cheap. Buried the ball in the 10th, and of course, left a 10 pin.

Second game, I started strike, open (10-pin), spare, and finished with 9 strikes.

Third game, I needed two strikes in the 10th to beat the league high series (762). Buried the first. Buried the second, but somehow the 7-pin stood. My average is up to 213.58.
This just shows that getting an 800 series is the hardest thing for a league bowler to do IMO. Much harder than a 300.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:56 pm 

thats a strange opinion. a 900 would be much tougher.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:08 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Chus wrote:

This just shows that getting an 800 series is the hardest thing for a league bowler to do IMO. Much harder than a 300.

There is no doubt that 800 is harder.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:59 pm 

Good shootin' Chus

Signed up for summer leagues last night...bowling with the wife and Doug one night, and bowling in the same 2 ball challenge individual league I've done the last 2 summers. It's a bit pricy, but I get 2 high end balls that are the only 2 I can use in the league. Getting a Roto Grip Hypercell Skid and a Storm Rocket for the efforts...plus there is a really good prize fund attached.

Looks like this will be the first time in my life I finish both leagues with a 200+ average...201 on Tuesday, 202-203 on Thursday...been a good season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:19 pm 

717 this past Tuesday...bowling for 5th to finish out the season on Tuesday night.

634 on Thursday night...but we won and are bowling for the league championship on Thursday 8)

Best part is that I'm definitely finishing both leagues with a 200+ average for the first time ever...first time breaking 200 for a full winter season, ever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:45 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
717 this past Tuesday

Giddyup

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:18 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

634 on Thursday night...but we won and are bowling for the league championship on Thursday 8)

We won the league championship last week Thursday. Shot 221, 230 and took care of it in the 1st 2 games. Tried out my new Hypercell Skid and shot 186 with 3 buried pocket splits...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next