It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Seems like a pretty good aid there. What model Titleist driver did you get? I've owned a few over the years and really like them a lot. Always been a bigfan of the pear shaped heads. Also have owned a few Ping drivers but that was back in the ISI days so I know they have come a long way. I tested some out when I bought my M6 but I like a clean look to the head and I just couldn't get past the Turbulators on the top of the driver. I found them distracting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
T-Bone wrote:
Seems like a pretty good aid there. What model Titleist driver did you get? I've owned a few over the years and really like them a lot. Always been a bigfan of the pear shaped heads. Also have owned a few Ping drivers but that was back in the ISI days so I know they have come a long way. I tested some out when I bought my M6 but I like a clean look to the head and I just couldn't get past the Turbulators on the top of the driver. I found them distracting.

I didn't want to spend a ton because it's an experiment, so I got a 915 D2. I agree on the shape of Titleist drivers. I think they've consistently been the best looking models on the market. I agree on the Pings. Either you like the look or don't and it's important that you do. I had an Epic Flash driver that I never liked to look at and ended up getting rid of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:01 am 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I didn't want to spend a ton because it's an experiment, so I got a 915 D2. I agree on the shape of Titleist drivers. I think they've consistently been the best looking models on the market. I agree on the Pings. Either you like the look or don't and it's important that you do. I had an Epic Flash driver that I never liked to look at and ended up getting rid of it.

I had the 915 D2 and liked it a lot, in fact I regretted getting rid of it later. I might have even sold that one to Frank C but I don't remember exactly. I make sure I have two that I like now in case one breaks or I lose all confidence in one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:34 am 

Good idea on keeping a spare. You never know when you will crack the face or have an issue with the shaft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
T-Bone wrote:
I had the 915 D2 and liked it a lot, in fact I regretted getting rid of it later. I might have even sold that one to Frank C but I don't remember exactly. I make sure I have two that I like now in case one breaks or I lose all confidence in one.
You did. It was a good club and it worked well, but the Cobra I have with more loft is much more forgiving. The Titlest stays in the garage as a backup though.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:26 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
You did. It was a good club and it worked well, but the Cobra I have with more loft is much more forgiving. The Titlest stays in the garage as a backup though.

Got it. I was going to say if you weren't using it I would be interested in maybe buying it back, but when I bring my other set home from my moms I will have another driver to deal with in there so it is probably best staying with you. It's a Taylor Made R9 SuperDeep and even though it is 10 years old I hit it pretty well last summer when i played with my mother.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:17 pm 

No in person attendance at the Chicagoland golf show due to COVID.

Due to the ongoing impact that COVID-19 has had on trade show participation and the corresponding supply chain issues, the Chicago Golf Show® presented by the Chicago District Golf Association has unfortunately announced that no in-person elements will take place in 2022 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont. While we will miss the opportunity to interact with you in-person, CDGA members will still have the chance to get primed for the golf season through the 2022 Chicago Golf Show® Virtual Experience. The Virtual Experience will take place on the Show’s originally scheduled dates of Feb. 25-27, with CDGA.org being the point of entry for those who will be attending.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:22 pm 

Haven't heard anything about the Milwaukee show being cancelled as of yet, just saw commercials on it last night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:33 pm 

Brought Pebble Beach to its knees tonight :lol: Shot -1 with 6 birdies. Gimmes inside 7 ft. Hit a few close, actually made a few long putts and chipped one in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
T-Bone wrote:
Brought Pebble Beach to its knees tonight :lol: Shot -1 with 6 birdies. Gimmes inside 7 ft. Hit a few close, actually made a few long putts and chipped one in.

That’s insane, congrats

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:

Nice! Do it tomorrow and you may make the cut. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:35 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Nice! Do it tomorrow and you may make the cut. :lol:

I was hitting my back up driver pretty well and the beauty of Pebble is there aren't many trees out there and no wind to speak of on the game. I figured out how to aim right to account for my draw. As I said I made some decent putts including a 35 footer which is very lucky on these sims. I was not playing the tips so was able to be pretty close on the par 5s and chip it close enough to either get a gimme or make a 10 footer. My buddy and I played in 75 minutes and that is without any goofing around and switching out spots quickly. Fortunately no one was behind us and they just charged us for the hour so it was like $21 and change with tax for each of us which was worth it. Might end up switching to that Rogue Sub Zero if I keep hitting it like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:44 pm 

Sounds like X golf is a good spot. I thought I saw them putting in one in the same strip mall as Golf Galaxy in Downers Grove. Typically, I go to the Mistwood golf dome and they have the option to 'play' a bunch of courses as well.

I got the 915 D2 after being delayed a day because of the storm. Not going to lie, the sole is a bit scuffed, but everything else looks pretty good. I am going to have to get it regripped, but my Titleist T100 irons all need new grips as well. I'll go with the Tour Velvet and hopefully they have them in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 pm 

Augie wrote:
Sounds like X golf is a good spot. I thought I saw them putting in one in the same strip mall as Golf Galaxy in Downers Grove. Typically, I go to the Mistwood golf dome and they have the option to 'play' a bunch of courses as well.

I got the 915 D2 after being delayed a day because of the storm. Not going to lie, the sole is a bit scuffed, but everything else looks pretty good. I am going to have to get it regripped, but my Titleist T100 irons all need new grips as well. I'll go with the Tour Velvet and hopefully they have them in stock.

XGolf has not been bad and if you can get a buddy to defray the cost it is even better. How are you liking the T100's? My set of Mizuno's are now 6 years old, which is about as long as I have played one set of irons. The T100 was one of the models I was interested in, just don't really have the scratch to pull the trigger and the ones I have now are still working pretty well. Good luck with the grips, I know those are hard to come by. Story was that at least one if not more containers went off a cargo ship during a storm and they are now at the bottom of the ocean, not to mention your run of the mill supply chain problems.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:12 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:

XGolf has not been bad and if you can get a buddy to defray the cost it is even better. How are you liking the T100's? My set of Mizuno's are now 6 years old, which is about as long as I have played one set of irons. The T100 was one of the models I was interested in, just don't really have the scratch to pull the trigger and the ones I have now are still working pretty well. Good luck with the grips, I know those are hard to come by. Story was that at least one if not more containers went off a cargo ship during a storm and they are now at the bottom of the ocean, not to mention your run of the mill supply chain problems.

Thanks. I bought a used set of the 2019 model at the end of last year from 2nd swing after going through 5 sets of irons the past 3 years. I decided that it wasn't the irons, it was me! Which Mizuno's do you have? I had a set of MP-59s for a while and have sets of MP-14s and T-Zoid Pro's in the garage somewhere. Great iron company.

Didn't hear that about the cargo ships. The T-100 have a mid-sized grip and I could make due if I had to, but the D2 grip is a Winn wrap which is way too rubbery for me. Hopefully, I'll find something to replace it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:40 pm 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:

Thanks. I bought a used set of the 2019 model at the end of last year from 2nd swing after going through 5 sets of irons the past 3 years. I decided that it wasn't the irons, it was me! Which Mizuno's do you have? I had a set of MP-59s for a while and have sets of MP-14s and T-Zoid Pro's in the garage somewhere. Great iron company.

Didn't hear that about the cargo ships. The T-100 have a mid-sized grip and I could make due if I had to, but the D2 grip is a Winn wrap which is way too rubbery for me. Hopefully, I'll find something to replace it.

I have been using the Golf Pride MCC+4 midsize grips for the past probably 4 seasons if not longer. I don't even have very big hands but I like the oversized grip and it seems to help keep the handsy motion in check a bit more. I had a Winn grip on a driver a number of years back and hated it, like you mention it was rubbery and kind of slippery to be honest. I have to install a new Super Stroke on my Scotty this weekend.

You sound like me with more clubs than what you know what to do with. :lol: I follow a bunch of groups on Facebook if you were interested in trying to get top dollar for them if looking to unload them. Just PM me if interested. People go bananas over the MP-14s if they are in good shape and some really still like that T-Zoid iron. I currently play the MP-25 and I have the KBS C Taper shafts in them that I don't think they sell anymore but are similar to the $-Taper. I also have a set of MP-33 that I have at my mothers house in Charlotte, NC. I maybe play them once a year which is a shame so I am considering getting them home, cleaning them up good and selling them. Other than the usual chatter you would have on 20 year old irons they are in good shape. I also have a set of Ping Zing 2 irons that I played in college. I may end up giving those to my stepson after he finishes college but not sure if he will use them. I have held on to them in case I were to have someone in town that wanted to play and needed clubs since they are the easiest clubs on the planet to hit and aren't worth much to sell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:58 pm 

The Golf Pride MCC grips seem to be the most popular grip.

Exactly, I have a ton of used clubs, mostly irons/wedges and I have more than a dozen putters up against the wall in my office. I'll look and see if there is anything that anyone might want. The MP-14 faces are pretty worn. I also play in hickory shafted golf events and that is another whole can of worms when it comes to clubs. Thankfully, I have an understanding wife.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:33 pm 

Augie wrote:
The Golf Pride MCC grips seem to be the most popular grip.

Exactly, I have a ton of used clubs, mostly irons/wedges and I have more than a dozen putters up against the wall in my office. I'll look and see if there is anything that anyone might want. The MP-14 faces are pretty worn. I also play in hickory shafted golf events and that is another whole can of worms when it comes to clubs. Thankfully, I have an understanding wife.

:lol: Luckily I have one as well. I have an odd ball left handed hickory club that I took from my parents place after my dad died. Looks cool but I have no idea what it even is. That's really cool that you play in those events.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:01 pm 

I haven't seen a lot of left handed hickories. I'd hang it on the wall in your office or den.

I went to Golf Galaxy in Downers Grove today and dropped off my clubs for a re-grip. They had a lot of grips in stock including multiple color choices for the MCC grips. I ended up getting the Tour Velvet Alignment grips. I'll pick them up on Monday and maybe get some golf balls as well.

They had the new Taylormade Stealth driver in stock and the employees were pumping up the new Red clubface. As a result, they had probably 25 used Sim2 demo drivers for sale. I didn't check the prices, but you could probably get a good deal on one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:03 am 

I just went down to look at it. It’s a lefty mashie niblick made by Burke Golf Company. The grip and everything look original. I guess it’s a neat conversation piece but I don’t have any room to hang it. Would you have any use for it as an escape club? :lol: My wife has given me a lot of leash to hang golf pics in my house so I’m all full up and have my first set of youth clubs that I learned with and were my dads first set hanging on the wall in our den/tv room. He had the persimmon woods and irons all refinished and they look brand new. Pretty sure they are from the mid 50s.

Last edited by T-Bone on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:20 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I just went down to look at it. It’s a lefty machine niblick made by Burke Golf Company. The grip and everything look original. I guess it’s a neat conversation piece but I don’t have any room to hang it. Would you have any use for it as an escape club? :lol: My wife has given me a lot of leash to hang golf pics in my house so I’m all full up and have my first set of youth clubs that I learned with and were my dads first set hanging on the wall in our den/tv room. He had the persimmon woods and irons all refinished and they look brand new. Pretty sure they are from the mid 50s.

Thanks, but I think you should keep it. I agree that it makes for an interesting conversation piece. I get what you're saying about hanging stuff on the wall. You're wife sounds pretty understanding. What clubs did you learn with and what model are your Dad's? I wish I had kept some of my early clubs, but didn't think to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:27 pm 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
I just went down to look at it. It’s a lefty machine niblick made by Burke Golf Company. The grip and everything look original. I guess it’s a neat conversation piece but I don’t have any room to hang it. Would you have any use for it as an escape club? :lol: My wife has given me a lot of leash to hang golf pics in my house so I’m all full up and have my first set of youth clubs that I learned with and were my dads first set hanging on the wall in our den/tv room. He had the persimmon woods and irons all refinished and they look brand new. Pretty sure they are from the mid 50s.

Thanks, but I think you should keep it. I agree that it makes for an interesting conversation piece. I get what you're saying about hanging stuff on the wall. You're wife sounds pretty understanding. What clubs did you learn with and what model are your Dad's? I wish I had kept some of my early clubs, but didn't think to do so.

It is a Spaulding Robert T Jones Jr Junior Star set. D, 3W, 3,5,7,9 and blade putter. My dad and his two brothers learned on them and then my brother and I did the same. I can’t find info or pics of them online. My dad was born in 1950 so I’m guessing they are from the mid to late 50s. They were poor so I’m sure it was a big deal to get clubs at all. My dad saved his money and bought a Ping Anser back in the late 60s and played it most of his life. I have it at home now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:16 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

It is a Spaulding Robert T Jones Jr Junior Star set. D, 3W, 3,5,7,9 and blade putter. My dad and his two brothers learned on them and then my brother and I did the same. I can’t find info or pics of them online. My dad was born in 1950 so I’m guessing they are from the mid to late 50s. They were poor so I’m sure it was a big deal to get clubs at all. My dad saved his money and bought a Ping Anser back in the late 60s and played it most of his life. I have it at home now.

That's awesome. And you're right, just having a set of your own clubs was huge. I'm trying to get back to that mentality. I did track down the model of irons that I played throughout high school. I'll take them to the par 3 on occasion.

Wow, a Ping Anser from the late 60s can be somewhat collectable. Your Dad was on the cutting edge of putters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:39 am 

Just read that Midlane Golf Club is going up for sale via auction starting at $2.5 million. I played a lot of golf out there as a younger man as it was my home course in high school and had a friend that worked out there so played it a lot. They eventually added 9 holes and it was a big course for outings for years. They must have had trouble after that and sold a bunch of the land to build houses and bulldozed half of the original 18 under to put the houses on. It's really a shame it has come to this as the original 18 really was a gem. Never was a fan of the new 9 but it is ok. Might have to get out there and play it again before the potentially plow the rest under.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:35 am 

Tempting to make a virtual tee time for the weekend but just don't want to spend the money on it. I picked up a couple of shaft stickers for a few of my putters so will likely put those on this weekend for something to do. My sister in law just bought a house in Sarasota so there is a chance we will go down there this spring. If so I am probably going to bring the clubs and head up to Streamsong again for one of the other courses I haven't played depending on greens fees. It's a bit of a drive but a really great place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:41 am 
100000 CLUB

10:20am Saturday at dogtrack Stony Creek. I didn't want my first time swinging my new clubs to be off the mats, so this is the next best thing. I'll probably only use driver like twice. Don't care about the score (might not even keep score), just want to get the new clubs broken in and hit some good shots. Figured walking a short and somewhat tight course would be the best way to learn the new clubs!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:15 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
10:20am Saturday at dogtrack Stony Creek. I didn't want my first time swinging my new clubs to be off the mats, so this is the next best thing. I'll probably only use driver like twice. Don't care about the score (might not even keep score), just want to get the new clubs broken in and hit some good shots. Figured walking a short and somewhat tight course would be the best way to learn the new clubs!

Have fun. I should call around and see if there are any places open yet around me. I am tempted to go to Pine Meadow to hit balls but don't want to drive 30 minutes down and 30 back to just hit some balls. Maybe I can find a course that is open I can actually play. A few open sooner than others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:22 am 

I did find some courses open but decided to wait until my membership kicks in. That is going to be relatively expensive. If I can get 3 to 4 rounds in a week I might be able to get close to 100 rounds this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Got 9 holes in. Spring is in the air!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

40-41 Saturday morning. Would have been a little better with greens that were quicker or had been cut. Can't complain much for early March golf wearing short sleeves.

The new clubs worked out really well. I had some "miss hits" that were better/straighter than good hits last season. I don't think I hit them quite as far, but I've also strengthened my grip and changed my stance slightly, so I think the distance will come with more rounds and practice. I very much enjoyed the day which is what it should be all about. I was looking forward to the season as it was, but now seeing what the new clubs do in real time has me even more optimistic for a season filled with more fun and better shots than years previous!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next