It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
T-Bone wrote:
I see that FootJoy brought back the brown and white spectators. I love these shoes although I am not in the market for any right now.
Had a pair about 5-6 years ago. They only seem to come out with them about every 3 years or so.

Bought a pair yesterday for $65.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
T-Bone wrote:
Think I may have found my answer to the gaps between my 3 wood and the 5 iron in my current set. Going to put the old Ping 1 iron back in
the bag to replace the driving iron and then found this new club called the Ping Crossover. The 4 iron is lofted like a 3 iron and appears to be
much like the name suggests, something between a traditional iron and a hybrid. A little different looking but it is growing on me.

Ended up buying this club Saturday. They only had the 3 iron so I tested that in the cage and ordered the 4. Really think this will address my yardage gap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'd like to get out an play 10 rounds this year as well. I was given a relatively new driver that I am excited to try out.
I'm never going to hit it very far, but I would like to be more consistent. Would really like to crack 100. :/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I'd like to get out an play 10 rounds this year as well. I was given a relatively new driver that I am excited to try out.
I'm never going to hit it very far, but I would like to be more consistent. Would really like to crack 100. :/

What driver? We needs details.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:28 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:

What driver? We needs details.

Yeah Doug, we need more info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
10 Rounds? pfft...I'll have that done by April, or maybe mid May at the latest. :P

Work half a day on some Fridays that I am somewhat north and then we'll hit the links. I'm generally done by noon at least two Fridays a month, so it works out for some nice afternoon golf as Mr Furious can attest to.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:04 pm 

Now toying with the idea of buying a used R15 driver. Bought a used SLDR last year and never hit it right. I think i got the wrong shaft. Can get an R15 for $150. Probably worth taking a shot at it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
10 Rounds? pfft...I'll have that done by April, or maybe mid May at the latest. :P

Work half a day on some Fridays that I am somewhat north and then we'll hit the links. I'm generally done by noon at least two Fridays a month, so it works out for some nice afternoon golf as Mr Furious can attest to.

I'm pretty good at sneaking out in the afternoon on friday as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
I am intrigued by that. My "miss" with driver/woods/hybrids is left and seems exaggerated with hybrids. I don't miss my irons left...this may be just what the doctor ordered.

I feel like I have more control with the irons as well Franky. It is probably psychological but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a proper hybrid
yet. I like the idea of a beefed up iron instead. This one looks like it could get the job done. I don't think it hits the stores until mid February.

Well, I hit it today and bought the 3 crossover. Pretty much the same distance as my 3-hybrid. I hit about 25 balls and not one snapped left. I bought the stiff shaft, but fear stepping down to regular flex may be on the horizon. Getting older and fatter....maybe I should do something about the fatter part.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:55 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
I am intrigued by that. My "miss" with driver/woods/hybrids is left and seems exaggerated with hybrids. I don't miss my irons left...this may be just what the doctor ordered.

I feel like I have more control with the irons as well Franky. It is probably psychological but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a proper hybrid
yet. I like the idea of a beefed up iron instead. This one looks like it could get the job done. I don't think it hits the stores until mid February.

Well, I hit it today and bought the 3 crossover. Pretty much the same distance as my 3-hybrid. I hit about 25 balls and not one snapped left. I bought the stiff shaft, but fear stepping down to regular flex may be on the horizon. Getting older and fatter....maybe I should do something about the fatter part.

Nice. I'm waiting to get mine in the mail. I went steel shaft instead of graphite. Too much right to left with graphite for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:05 pm 

Going for an MRI, doc says tear might be a possibility. Could be out for the whole season since its a 6 month recovery if its a rotator cuff.

Gonna suck, but also will be interesting to see how much money I save considering I played about 80 rounds last year and bought a bunch of stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Going with a 52/58 wedge combo vs. my usual 51/56/60. Allows me to carry 3/5/7 woods.

You heard me. 7 wood.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Furious Styles wrote:
Going with a 52/58 wedge combo vs. my usual 51/56/60. Allows me to carry 3/5/7 woods.

You heard me. 7 wood.

My buddy carries a 7 wood. When he is struggling with his driver, he hits that off the tee.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:51 am 
100000 CLUB

Going to the range after work this afternoon. Don't care about the winds as long as its not directly in my face. It will be nice to be outside enjoying the warm temperatures.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:03 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

You heard me. 7 wood.

Just carry them all, no one is gonna dock you strokes for that. Last year I ended up with...

3h,4h,5h,5i,6i,7i,8i,9i,PW,GW,52,56,60,P

Oh wait, I think that's legal. Never mind, I will dock you strokes you fucking cheater!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Seriously. Carry as many clubs as you want. Treat all hazards as a lateral hazard, except for maybe a Par 3. If you hit a great drive in the fairway and the ball ends up in a divot or mud, roll it 2 feet and hit off the grass. Pick up 2' putts and move on.

These are all things that help keep the game fun and moving along.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:37 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Seriously. Carry as many clubs as you want. Treat all hazards as a lateral hazard, except for maybe a Par 3. If you hit a great drive in the fairway and the ball ends up in a divot or mud, roll it 2 feet and hit off the grass. Pick up 2' putts and move on.

These are all things that help keep the game fun and moving along.

They also invalidate scores.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

In tournaments, for sure. When I'm playing a friendly round with some buddies they do not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:48 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
In tournaments, for sure. When I'm playing a friendly round with some buddies they do not.

You post a lot of scores here. If you are improving your lie, and not counting penalty shots, then you aren't shooting the scores you claim.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:50 pm 

Heading to Pine Meadow tomorrow morning. Looking forward to try out the new irons and
Crossover.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Where did I say I don't count penalty shots?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

When you said that you treat all hazards as lateral hazards.

Treating all hazards as lateral hazards shaves a few strokes off one's score. Hitting three from the rough next to an OB stake, is different than hitting three from the tee.

Picking up putts of two feet, or perhaps longer, will also knock a few strokes off.

Not counting penalty shots at all, will also wipe away a few more.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:56 am 

Chus wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Treating all hazards as lateral hazards shaves a few strokes off one's score. Hitting three from the rough next to an OB stake, is different than hitting three from the tee.

Picking up putts of two feet, or perhaps longer, will also knock a few strokes off.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/relaxed-rules-easing-and-adding-common-sense/

This is the way all non tournament golf should be played and I have no problem/shame submitting a score under these rules.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:16 pm 

shakes wrote:
Chus wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/relaxed-rules-easing-and-adding-common-sense/

This is the way all non tournament golf should be played and I have no problem/shame submitting a score under these rules.

That shit is for new golfers, like my wife. She uses the foot wedge, drops wherever she wants, throws her ball out of the bunker, picks up putts, etc. She just writes down 10 on a blowup hole, but she isn't trying to post a number.

If you take shortcuts like those, then you didn't actually shoot the number that you claim. There is no logical way to counter that. I would rather admit that I shot 105, than brag about an 85 that I didn't really shoot. I was really proud of the 47-47 that I shot at Naperbrook with you, Furious, and my buddy. You guys all beat me, but it didn't matter.

We keep score for a reason. This is a game for gentlemen. A wise man once told me that golf is a metaphor for life.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:35 pm 

Chus wrote:
That shit is for new golfers, like my wife. She uses the foot wedge, drops wherever she wants, throws her ball out of the bunker, picks up putts, etc. She just writes down 10 on a blowup hole, but she isn't trying to post a number.

If you take shortcuts like those, then you didn't actually shoot the number that you claim. There is no logical way to counter that. I would rather admit that I shot 105, than brag about an 85 that I didn't really shoot. I was really proud of the 47-47 that I shot at Naperbrook with you, Furious, and my buddy. You guys all beat me, but it didn't matter.

We keep score for a reason. This is a game for gentlemen. A wise man once told me that golf is a metaphor for life.

Chuster, people with your mindset are the reason rounds take 5+ hours.

I completely disagree with everything you said. The relaxed rules are not for new golfers, they're for amateur golfers trying to enjoy the game and make it enjoyable for everyone else on the course.

We should not be playing the same rules as the pros. As far as I know there isn't a single sport where amateurs and pros use the exact same rules.

Hitting provisionals off the tee, going back 200 yards to the tee to re-hit if you can't find your ball may work for he pros, but it obviously doesn't work on a crowded Saturday at a local muni. Hitting off of tree roots is no big deal when you're a pro with unlimited free clubs, but obviously a massive deal for you and me who pay for our clubs and can't afford to break them on a root...or worse break a wrist. Putting out everything, staring down a 3 footer for your double bogey..these are things that add up and lead to the groups behind waiting 5 minutes on every shot.

The game is meant to be fun, the official rules are way to penal for an amateur who doesn't have the benefit of having 300 people helping him look for a lost ball.

Also you exagerrate quite a bit the effect on a score....unless you're hitting several drives OB.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I play with one of those guys, Shakes. Always has to hit a provisional drive.....never watches his shots because he's pissed off......." I can't drop there...." Drives me up a fucking wall. And the guy is a hack. But his pre-shot routine is amazing. Just like on TV.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:52 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I play with one of those guys, Shakes. Always has to hit a provisional drive.....never watches his shots because he's pissed off......." I can't drop there...." Drives me up a fucking wall. And the guy is a hack. But his pre-shot routine is amazing. Just like on TV.

yea its always the guy shooting over 100 that NEEDS to play it by the book.

My cousin shoots around 130 (only plays once every couple years) but he REFUSES to pick his ball up until its in the hole. Plays by the rules 100%. Doesn't understand and looks at me like I'm speaking chinese when I tell him he's ruining the game for everyone else on the course.

All that said, I do think its fun to challenge yourself in the proper setting by playing it by the book. Chance to see how you stack up vs other players all playing by the rules. I play occasionally in the GolfWeek Am tour and its fun, but also the rounds take 6 hours. Only played in one event last year and shot an 82 at Stonewall Orchard, lost by 1 stroke because I rushed a 1 foot putt and took it with an awkward sideways stance. Leaned my lesson and marked every putt outside of 3 inches the rest of the day.

If I was playing a normal round on a Saturday and saw some asshole ahead of me marking 6 inch putts I'd probably start hitting into him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:56 pm 

shakes wrote:
Chuster, people with your mindset are the reason rounds take 5+ hours.

My pace of play has never caused a five hour round, even with the drinking and puffing. Rounds that long are due to overbooking (I'm looking at you, Villa Olivia), or a slow group in front of me.

I can think of many worse ways to spend five hours, than chilling on the golf course with my homies.

shakes wrote:
I completely disagree with everything you said. The relaxed rules are not for new golfers, they're for amateur golfers trying to enjoy the game and make it enjoyable for everyone else on the course.

I have played with you twice, and we never played with rules like that. I counted my penalties. Our pace of play was just fine.

shakes wrote:
We should not be playing the same rules as the pros.

We play shorter, easier courses than the pros.

shakes wrote:
As far as I know there isn't a single sport where amateurs and pros use the exact same rules.

Isn't it just the opposite? I can't think of anything in my bowling league that is different than the pros, other than the oil patterns. Baseball rules are the same. Three strikes, you're out, etc.

shakes wrote:
Hitting provisionals off the tee, going back 200 yards to the tee to re-hit if you can't find your ball may work for he pros, but it obviously doesn't work on a crowded Saturday at a local muni.

If you think the ball might be gone, hit a provisional. Then there is no going back 200 yards to the tee box. One extra drive from the tee box isn't slowing things down.

shakes wrote:
Hitting off of tree roots is no big deal when you're a pro with unlimited free clubs, but obviously a massive deal for you and me who pay for our clubs and can't afford to break them on a root...or worse break a wrist.

I'm not hitting off tree roots either. I will drop a club length, no closer to the hole. I'm talking about using the foot wedge, to give one an easier line to the hole.

shakes wrote:
Putting out everything, staring down a 3 footer for your double bogey..these are things that add up and lead to the groups behind waiting 5 minutes on every shot.

If you keep a good pace throughout the hole, this isn't an issue. Picking up two footers turns into picking up four and six footers, when a person is struggling.

shakes wrote:
The game is meant to be fun, the official rules are way to penal for an amateur who doesn't have the benefit of having 300 people helping him look for a lost ball.

Spend no more than a few minutes looking for a lost ball. If four of you can't find it, hit your provisional tee shot, shooting four (not two or three).

shakes wrote:
Also you exagerrate quite a bit the effect on a score....unless you're hitting several drives OB.

You are pretty straight off the tee, but everybody isn't. Many people spray one or two tee shots on a hole. They are the ones, who often aren't counting penalty shots. We all play with guys like that.

Playing two balls, treating all hazards as lateral hazards, using foot wedges, and picking up putts can easily shave ten or twelve shots off a score.

I'm not a rules Nazi. Play however you want. I play with some duffers, who are fast and loose with the rules. If there is no money on the table, who cares? We all give each other "gimme putts". I'm just saying that if you take shortcuts, and those are just the ones he admits, then you didn't actually shoot that score.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:02 pm 

shakes wrote:
yea its always the guy shooting over 100 that NEEDS to play it by the book.

Actually, it's not. There are a lot of people who frown on shortcuts.

shakes wrote:
My cousin shoots around 130 (only plays once every couple years) but he REFUSES to pick his ball up until its in the hole. Plays by the rules 100%. Doesn't understand and looks at me like I'm speaking chinese when I tell him he's ruining the game for everyone else on the course.

Do you feel that I am that guy? Because I don't think I am. We have fun out there. We aren't playing everything by the book. We play "ready golf". However, I am going to take all of the penalty strokes that I deserve, and play my bad lies. It's important to me, and my game.

shakes wrote:
All that said, I do think its fun to challenge yourself in the proper setting by playing it by the book. Chance to see how you stack up vs other players all playing by the rules. I play occasionally in the GolfWeek Am tour and its fun, but also the rounds take 6 hours. Only played in one event last year and shot an 82 at Stonewall Orchard, lost by 1 stroke because I rushed a 1 foot putt and took it with an awkward sideways stance. Leaned my lesson and marked every putt outside of 3 inches the rest of the day.

Maybe you should be putting those short ones, even when just fucking around with Furious and me.

shakes wrote:
If I was playing a normal round on a Saturday and saw some asshole ahead of me marking 6 inch putts I'd probably start hitting into him.

Guys like that are slow all the way around. It isn't just on the green. They will still be dragging ass, even if playing with the shortcuts from that article.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

C'mon Chus. You got on Rick the other day for being obtuse and here you are doing the same thing. You make it seem like I only post good scores in these threads. There have been been many times I've posted about upper 90s or triple digit rounds or bad 9s.

I talk about picking up an 18-24" putt, and you admit to gimme putts all the time. It's not always me picking up the ball, there are many times a buddy or my dad says "that's good" and hits the ball over to me.

You don't hit off of tree roots. Neither do it. I don't give myself a foot wedge just for a better/easier shot either. But, given that we play easier and shorter courses that's the pros, there are also times they are not in the best of conditon. If I hit a nice drive in the middle of the fairway and it ends up in a real beat up part of mud or something, ill move it back a few feet to hit off grass. That is widely different than ending up with a poor lie in the rough or bunker due to an errant shot.

I have no shame in what I post here and if you think you'received better than me because of what I have said, I don't mind that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next