It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
A bit of a drive for me but I'd probably be willing to take a spin around this one with you sometime. If I am going to haul ass down there I
would probably look at Highlands of Elgin first though based on other reviews here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
HOE is hands-down the best value course in the area. Superb conditions, challenging layout and very reasonable greens fees. The Preserve has more of a "wow" factor to me, at least after one round. Fees are more, conditions have been spotty at best all year. We finished up at dusk and the mosquitoes on the last two holes were insane. Walking through that (vs. riding) would have been miserable. Still, I can't wait to get back.

Playing Schaumburg GC Saturday afternoon. Should be GLORIOUS.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:56 am 

Playing with my regular group one last time tomorrow. Wasn't going to but I won't see these guys again until early spring so would be nice
to say "see ya later" after playing almost every weekend day since March. I have zero expectations, especially after hitting it bad in the cage
up at Golf Galaxy when I stopped in quickly. If I break 80 I think I'll be happy. Used to love fall golf but not as much now. Pain in the ass
finding your ball among the leaves and conditions generally slow a bit. Tee off at 7 so it will be chilly and I'll be surprised if we even see 50
degrees before we finish.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:05 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
As I wrap up the season just looking back and thinking about what equipment changes I might make. Kind of tradition for me to mix things up
every year. Not sure if anyone else is looking to tweak things a bit.

I had planned on getting new irons next season, but my ballstriking/iron play really improved this year. Much more solid contact, better dispersion and I picked 1/2 to one club in distance by squaring the club consistently.

So I picked up a set of the same Mizuno irons that I currently play. 6-GW for $70. Same lightweight shaft but in stiff flex. Might put them into play next year or just hang on them if I lose a club or need a replacement head. With the exception on my putter, I now have 2 full sets of the same clubs - 3 driver heads, 3 driver shafts with the same adapter, 2 each of my fairway woods and hybrids.

Still prefer the old-school lofts and the gapping a 46* pitching wedge provides. Want to get over to Scotland/Ireland in the next few years. My bounce options are a great fit for links turf consitions.

Of course, I reserve the right to completely revamp my bag if the mood strikes me.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I think I am going to get a set of these....if I can talk the wife into it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:44 pm 

Bringing the Taylor Made Spider Mini with me tomorrow as I heard there was a guy in the clubhouse who might be interested in it. If
he doesn't bite then I will put it on eBay. Never even hit a ball with it and hoping to sell for $200. I'd be pretty happy with that I think
and put that money towards something else. I really would like one of the TS3 Titleist drivers but can't swallow the $500 price tag
when I can essentially buy a year membership for that amount.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:10 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Anyone interested in playing Saturday?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 am 

Actually glad you are getting out.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:21 pm 

This weather blows.

Go to taylormadegolf.com, fill out a survey and get a 4 ball sleeve of the TP5 urethane balls.

Thank me later or give them to me later.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 pm 

TaylorMade Spider Mini sold in the clubhouse for $200. I'll take it and easier than having to ship it somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Furious Styles wrote:
This weather blows.

Go to taylormadegolf.com, fill out a survey and get a 4 ball sleeve of the TP5 urethane balls.

Thank me later or give them to me later.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

Little match play tournament with some friends tomorrow at Silver Lake South tomorrow morning. Hopefully this will not be my final round of the year, but if it is it closes the books on a very frustrating season. Hopefully next year finds me in the mid-upper 80s more and more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

Scramble at Blackberry Oaks on Saturday and stroke play at Highland Woods on Sunday. Really want to see what Blackberry Oaks is all about - no trees, ample water and white sand scratches me right where I itch.

Cobra Golf was running a single-length trial set deal...for $28. By the I saw the deal and vetted it, word had made it to GolfWRX and they ran out of stock. Got to pick your shafts, lie angles, grips, number of wraps. Really pissed I missed out. Would have been an interesting experiment.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Won the first half of our matchup 5 & 4. The "cup" was decided on a 5 hole playoff. Lost the first two, then bounced back with three pars to finish with a halve and our retention of the cup! Our opponents had eight total putts to win and couldn't sink one of them. Did a scramble format, and my teammate and I shot a 40 on the front 9, +2 on the final 5 holes. I hit the ball pretty well overall. Probably my best and most consistent round of the year. Only one real wasted drive, and didn't chunk a single iron shot. I didn't chip very well, but I also didn't have many chances to chip. We hit a lot of GIRs, just couldn't get any real close for birdies. I did lag several long putts up to within 3'.

Really nice day out on the course. A bit brisk during warmups and the first few holes, but by about 11am it ended up being a great fall day. Not sure if I will have the time or the weather's cooperation to get out one more time before winter arrives, but if not this was a nice way to end the season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:51 am 

Going to be rolling this torque-balanced Edel putter on Friday at Prairie Landing. No offset and the weight is removed from the toe. The feel is awesome. Came with a round grip that I initially hated, but has really grown on me. Everything flows really well and the stroke feels free. We'll see.

It was $329 retail, but PGA Superstore had them on clearance for $99. Mine has the stealthier black shaft. :afro:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 am 

Good times at Blackberry Oaks for a scramble. Nice course in the middle of nowhere (Bristol IL).

45/43/88 at Highland Woods on Sunday. Played from 6800 yards, which is a bit long for me. Drove the ball pretty well and was making a more aggressive pass than usual. Took the 5 iron out and put the 5 hybrid in the bag. First shot on the course was to 12 ft. Hooray for 9 year old hybrid technology! Mizuno MX-700 - accept no substitutes. Irons are dialed in, putting was iffy - really looking forward to putting the Edel into play tomorrow.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Yesterday I played what will likely be my last round of the year. My swing has been just awful the past month. Need to not touch a club for a while and hope the bad habits I've picked up will be erased from my memory.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 am 

Already kind of starting to miss playing after hanging them up early this year. I almost signed up for a 12 week indoor golf league but
decided against it. I can put that money towards a membership and I really need to focus on fitness the next few months which could
translate immediately to the golf game. Better strength, stamina and flexibility would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 am 

43/43/86 Friday at Prairie Landing. Ballstriking was good, short game stinks. Green were punched a few weeks back, but were decent. Bunkers were perfectly manicured with fine sand that was a pleasure to hit from. Some of the best bunkers I've played. Rain was on/off the whole round, but it's such a fun course, you really don't mind.

Highland Woods today. Put my chunky Mizuno wedges back in the bag for now. The Edel putter rolls wonderfully. Hope to get it dialed in today.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 am 

43/49/92 yesterday at Highland Woods. Fine ballstriking and putrid short game. Hit 13/14 fairways, but struggled mightily with the wedges. Used to be the best part of my game.

On the fence about the round grip on the new putter. I get the idea behind it, but if I'm not making putts it doesn't matter. Current grip is 102g, my preferred grip is 58g, not sure sure what that means for swingweight or feel of the head. We'll see.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 am 
100000 CLUB

Thinking of playing hookie on Friday for what would probably be my last round of the year. The cooler weather doesn't both me, its just too tuff to plan things when the little guy eats and sleeps when he wants to at this point. In a few more weeks he should be on more of a set schedule and things like dinner and tee times will be much easier to plan.

George Dunne at 8:52am. Customer appreciation week, so $19 golf & Cart. Yes please.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
I think I am going to get a set of these....if I can talk the wife into it.

These have no-upcharge shaft options. Nippon Modus 3, DG XP, etc. Much better choices than the stock shafts.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

46-47, 93 at George Dunne yesterday. Four lost balls off the tee prevented me from breaking the 90 mark. A little inconsistent, but overall one of my better rounds hitting the ball all year. Couple of big numbers due to the lost balls, but also five pars and a birdie. If that closes out my season, I'm happy with that.

Played with my uncle and dad who both had their moments, but also had their struggles as they were into the triple digits.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:14 am 

Prairie Landing on Friday for $26 w/Golf Now Hot Deal.

Giddyup.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:49 pm 

Starting to dissect what I am going to get rid of at the top end of my bag. Looking at maybe new driver, new hybrid/3W, possibly a new driving
iron. Liquidating a bunch of stuff I have been holding onto so not sure if that money will go towards clubs or towards an upgraded membership
that would give me use of a cart and potentially double the number of rounds in a season. Lots of time to figure it out at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Starting to dissect what I am going to get rid of at the top end of my bag. Looking at maybe new driver, new hybrid/3W, possibly a new driving
iron. Liquidating a bunch of stuff I have been holding onto so not sure if that money will go towards clubs or towards an upgraded membership
that would give me use of a cart and potentially double the number of rounds in a season. Lots of time to figure it out at this point.

Where do you sell your old equipment?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:56 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Where do you sell your old equipment?

Oh I should have specified, I am not selling any golf stuff, just a lot of things I have been accumulating in the garage and basement. I have
sold a few things back to Golf Galaxy but they give you very little for it and turn around and sell it for 3x what they bought it for in their used
section. I have sold a driver to a fellow board member once who I believe used it for a few years with mixed results. I probably should sell
some of what I have down in the basement. I have a full set for anyone that might come into town to visit and then probably 3 extra putters
and 3-4 extra sand/lob wedges. I don't think I can get much for those. They are actually in fine shape, I just like to get new ones every
couple of years with brand new grooves. If anyone is interested in some potential Cleveland wedges I can possibly send to you if you pay
the shipping. I think I have some Vokey as well but I would need to see what loft to determine if I am going to keep them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
I have sold a driver to a fellow board member once who I believe used it for a few years with mixed results.
That was the indian, not the arrow. The club worked very well for me until I forgot how to hit a driver. It more than served its purpose for the 2+ seasons I used it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:24 am 

Yesterday was just an obscenely nice day to play golf. Perfect weather and course conditions.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 am 

Made it to the new PGA Superstore in Vernon Hills yesterday. I had never been to one and was extremely impressed. Huge selection of clothing and
clubs both new and used. Tons of hitting bays and the staff was very attentive and helpful but not lording over you and bothersome. I was able to
hit both the new TS2 and TS3 Titleist drivers and got to see the numbers head to head and gave me a lot of insight as to which one I should likely
lean towards if I go that direction. Got to hit a few putts with a couple different models on the greens. Looked at maybe replacing my PW with
a Vokey and also did some investigating into hybrids and driving irons but didn't hit any. I'll go back again a few times this winter. Just a fun
excursion on a cold, rainy day. I went over to Golf Galaxy after that just to see what they had in the used rack and no one even greeted me until
I was leaving the store. If I wasn't there to look at the used stuff I wouldn't even bother going in there. Doesn't hold a candle to the PGA store.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next