It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
It appears I am playing 36 on Saturday and 18 Sunday. Guess I need to get in as much as I can while the weather is
still pretty good. As for the season it appears I currently have 32 rounds of 18 holes and I believe I probably have
eight rounds of 9 holes in this season. Mostly played at my home courses but have managed to get out and play
Washington County with Hawg, Prairie Isle down in Crystal Lake and Fox Lake CC a couple of times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Hit the range this morning before work. Pain-free after a large bucket. Bring on Kenosha golf!

:thumleft:

I’m taking this to mean Hawger is now a go. See you in a week!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:55 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Hit the range this morning before work. Pain-free after a large bucket. Bring on Kenosha golf!

:thumleft:

I’m taking this to mean Hawger is now a go. See you in a week!

Nope, I am still a no go. I can play on Sundays, but not Saturday mornings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 pm 

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

:(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ravisloe @1:20 tomorrow. Hopefully the storms hold out so we can get at lesat 15-16 holes in, if not the entire round.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ravisloe @1:20 tomorrow. Hopefully the storms hold out so we can get at lesat 15-16 holes in, if not the entire round.

Maybe I'll run into you, I have a 10:00 tee time there. Haven't been out there all season since they raised their rates to $100 in season, but for $72 I'll give it a go. Always a treat to play the only Donald Ross public course in Illinois.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:49 am 
100000 CLUB

$100?! I knew it was in the 70s, but I didn't think it had gone up that high. I found it for $45 on golfnow. Played there one last year and didn't do very well, but I remember it being a very awesome (and tuff) track. Really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:18 pm 

Last year it was much cheaper. Then they got rated #6 public course in Illinois and they jacked their rates to over $100. I refuse to pay that. The course is worth in the $60-$70 range tops. I called there today and they answer the phone "Hello this is Ravisloe the 6th best course in Illinois" so you know they are milking it for everything they can.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:01 pm 

I want to play Mistwood before the season ends provided it is at a decent rate. The renovation looks phenomenal.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:04 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
I want to play Mistwood before the season ends provided it is at a decent rate. The renovation looks phenomenal.

Its quite nice. One of the few courses where the posted rate ($90) is pretty much in line with what the course is worth. They are currently re-doing the clubhouse so its quite a mess there, but I assume the course is not bothered by it.

Just looked at the weather, FUCK! Rain all day. A couple days ago it said rain not till later in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:15 pm 

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Its quite nice. One of the few courses where the posted rate ($90) is pretty much in line with what the course is worth. They are currently re-doing the clubhouse so its quite a mess there, but I assume the course is not bothered by it.

Just looked at the weather, FUCK! Rain all day. A couple days ago it said rain not till later in the afternoon.

Radar up here is showing very little rain. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:20 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

You sure, I checked Zion for tomorrow and it had the same forecast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Yes, we just shut the curtain from you FIBS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

Not sure where you were looking shakes. Seems like you might be OK for your round. Me, not so much;

Saturday
Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:39 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Zion is still quite a bit south of me. You guys are getting a majority of it. I'll probably see some rain when I tee off
at 6:45 but it should all be gone by 7:15.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:40 pm 

According to Weather.com there is a 50% chance of showers starting at 9am and going throughout the day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

That means there is a 50% chance of it being sunny! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am 

Teed off about 6:25 this morning. Couldn't barely see the ball. Sprinkled for the first hole and then never rained
again. I hit the ball decent but the bad holes have returned. I tripled the first hole after my ball hit a tree and
went in the water trying to pitch back into the fairway and then I 3 putted. Pulled it together and was playing
ok until I took a double on #8. A 43 on the front was not great but I could see there was hope. On number
ten I smoked a drive and then hit a 6 iron from 187 to 6 ft. Nailed the putt for eagle. Hole 12 I doubled
and hole 13 I tripled. :x Number 16 I hit another great drive and had 210 into the par 5. Nice 5 iron to
ten feet and burned the edge on the eagle putt. Ended up with an 82 with the two doubles and two triples
accounting for +10 on the card. I forgot my wheels and had to carry my bag for the 18. I had way too
much stuff in there like a jacket and golf balls. It had been a few years since I had carried and we played
the course from 7000 yards. We walked it in under 3 hours. I was supposed to play another 18 but the
guys I was playing with cancelled on me allowing me to go home and relax. Back at the same course
early tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

Fucking brutal. After what I would say was a solid B+ last gold season, this season gets a big fat F. My stick are staying in the garage for the forseeable future. 102 (or 103, or 104. Kinda gave up on 18) yesterday at Ravisloe. Tough track, in good shape, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I was in so much trouble it was ridiculous. Did not hit a single fairway off the tee, yet had zero 3 putts. Caught a couple of bad breaks with decent tee shots going into bunkers or being on hills, but that said 90% of that score is me. The swing just isn't there with my irons, and I don't know what it is. 0 greens in reg, and only one par which I had to chip over a bunker and put within 3'. I don't expect to go out and shoot 82 or 83 all the time, but when the round is not enjoyable at all its time to do something else with my money and time. Maybe I'll go out once in October to try to end the season on a positive note, but truth be told at this point with as bad as my last 3 rounds have been, if I don't touch the clubs again until March at the driving range I would be OK with that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:03 pm 

Absolutely LOVED Ravisloe yesterday. Nothing to do with my play, just talking about the course itself. I'll go on record and say I bet there isn't a better public course in the midwest that tips out at under 6400 yards. The only public Donald Ross course in Illinois, for $70 it was a beaut. Course was originally designed by Moreau, who usually partnered with William Langford. The two of them designed my favorite course, Lawsonia. Langford designed Skokie Country Club which I played earlier this summer. Ravisloe felt like a carbon copy of Skokie CC. Just an unbelievable job of building a course with limited parkland real estate. Lots of trees, yet it never felt like you were crowded off the tee. Amazing bunkering, a Ross signature. Green complexes were fantastic, all elevated with crazy undulations and slopes. Not super fast, but still fast.

As for how I played, shot a 89. Didn't play too well. Had trouble swinging the club at the start. Got an 8 on #2 where every shot was a ground ball. Rallied and shot a 43 on the front despite only hitting one fairway. Then hit every fairway on the back, but shot a 46. Fought my swing the whole day, but still managed my share of great shots. Long 200 yard par 3 over water, hit a 4 hybrid to 10 feet. Later hit a drive dead left, cracked a tree and it got a bounce into the fairway. Was 240 yards out, wind at my back, flushed a 3 hybrid to pin high, 20 feet left.

Will definitely make a point of playing Ravisloe a handful of times next season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:09 am 

Played yesterday and I thought it was supposed to be a little nicer out. Teed off at 6:30 again and made it around in
2:45 minutes walking. Shot the same score as Saturday ( 82) and only had one double on the first hole. Didn't
hit the ball nearly as well but with only one blow up hole the score was the same. No real highlights worth
mentioning other than getting on the last par 5 in two again. With just the two of us playing and moving quickly
my buddy hadn't had a chance to pull the pin and I was putting from 45 feet for eagle. Hit the putt and it struck
the pin and bounced away. I hit it too hard so it wouldn't have gone in anyway. Started sprinkling as we
walked off the last hole. Perfect timing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Played yesterday and I thought it was supposed to be a little nicer out. Teed off at 6:30 again and made it around in
2:45 minutes walking. Shot the same score as Saturday ( 82) and only had one double on the first hole. Didn't
hit the ball nearly as well but with only one blow up hole the score was the same. No real highlights worth
mentioning other than getting on the last par 5 in two again. With just the two of us playing and moving quickly
my buddy hadn't had a chance to pull the pin and I was putting from 45 feet for eagle. Hit the putt and it struck
the pin and bounced away. I hit it too hard so it wouldn't have gone in anyway. Started sprinkling as we

http://www.answers.com/Q/Putting_and_hitting_the_pin_and_penalty

I hope the ball didn't bounce too far away from the pin and you were able to have a tap in for bogey. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 am 

Played at Marengo Ridge w/a few hometown buddies. Ten-minute microburst after the first hole trashed the bunkers. It was pretty crazy - a torrential downpour and insanely fast winds that came out of nowhere. I watched a slight, Asian woman holding an umbrella get blown into a bunker. I'm talking head over heels. She looked like a tumbleweed. My clothes dried off eventually and played decently w/ an 85.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Played at Marengo Ridge w/a few hometown buddies. Ten-minute microburst after the first hole trashed the bunkers. It was pretty crazy - a torrential downpour and insanely fast winds that came out of nowhere. I watched a slight, Asian woman holding an umbrella get blown into a bunker. I'm talking head over heels. She looked like a tumbleweed. My clothes dried off eventually and played decently w/ an 85.

Nicely done. I think I played there once a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 am 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

http://www.answers.com/Q/Putting_and_hitting_the_pin_and_penalty

I hope the ball didn't bounce too far away from the pin and you were able to have a tap in for bogey. :)

I was aware of the rule but didn't count the penalty. Made my 4 foot birdie putt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm 

Being the horrible jew that I am I spent the day on the golf course and not at temple. I guess God didn't mind cause I broke 80 for the first time since 4th of July weekend of 2013! Got to Lake Bluff golf course only to find that the greens had been punched a couple weeks ago and were still slow and bumpy. To top that off all the fairways were punched this week. So since the course was playing slow combined with the fact that I've somehow lost about 40 yards off my driver in the past month I decided to move up and play the whites (6200) instead of the blacks (6700).

Couldn't hit my driver at all on the front, got some in the fairway but they were about 210 out. But, was making up for it by being dialed in with my hybrids and my 60 and 52 degree wedges. Used my 60 degree 8 times today, got up and down 5. Hit several 52 degree shots from 70-100 yards that stuck inside 5-10 feet. Got to the 6th hole and I've parred every hole. There were two old guys on 6 who were playing real slow so they asked if i wanted to go through. So I hurried up and ran to the tee box with my 4 hybrid, smoked a nice draw to pin high on the 190 yard par 3. Hurried up to the green to get out of their way, didn't remove the pin (don't say it Tbone!) took a quick look at the 25 footer and rolled it right in. Got a nice applause from the two guys.

of course put my next drive OB and doubled the hole. Here's where things get crazy. Got to #9, had another terrible drive, slammed my driver into the ground and it broke in half. Oops. Ok, I'm two over, having a great round and now I have no driver. Scrambled to par the hole. Played my 3 hybrid off the tee the rest of the way and pretty much put every drive 210 and straight. Hit a lot of hybrids on the back and all of them were good. Birdied a par 5 going 3 hybrid, 3 hybrid, 52 degree to 4 feet, putt. Then, just like the other birdie, stepped up to next tee box (par 3) and had my worst swing of the day, a 15 yard chunk. Doubled that hole as well. Finished par-bogey to go 38-40-78 for my first sub 80 round in probably the last 130 rounds of golf.

Took the driver to golfsmith and am getting it re shafted for $80, but the shaft I had in it was a $300 shaft so that sucks. Might not even put it back in the bag and just stick to hybrids. As long as I can play courses under 6400 I think I can still do well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 am 

Played both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Saturday I played with Chus, Donspiracy and Furious
on the White course which played about 6700 yards. I couldn't hit a fairway to save my life as I only
had 2 all day long and the greens were pretty quick which saw me 3-putt three times. I was also in
4 bunkers which was kind of unusual and never got up and down once. One double bogey after a
topped drive but pulled together 4 birdies over the last 12 holes which helped keep the score under 80
with a 79.

Sunday I played the Blue course which plays 6700 from the tips. Once again I struggled off the tee
with just 3 faiways and once again topped a drive on the back nine leading to a double bogey. I was
1 for 3 from the sand and 2 fo 3 scrambling from around the greens. I managed to chip one in from
50 feet to make one of 3 birdies. Pretty much the same story as the day before. I had 3 double
bogeys and two three putts but only a total of 31 putts all day. Carded a 79 when all was said and
done.

I am close to getting it low again but some untimely bad holes seem to derail me early.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:49 am 

Staying true to my form all year I followed up Thursday's 78 with a 103 Saturday at Ravisloe. Had a late hockey game friday night, forgot to take my Cataflan Saturday morning and as a result couldn't put a good swing on a ball all day. Might've had 2-3 good ball strikes all day. Here are my stats for the day, all season lows....15% FIR, 5% GIR, 2.33 putts per hole.

Then yesterday skipped the football and went and played Prairie Landing in beautful weather with the wife. Much better, shot a 86. Had my usual blow up with two doubles in a row, one of which featured a near whiff with my hybrid from the fairway. My best club, my 60 degree was terrible by my standards. Accuracy not a problem as every green side chip was within a foot of the hole, but distance was a big problem as EVERY chip ended up at least 10 feet past the hole. Short game wasn't good, but I hit just about every fairway off the tee. Stats much better...84% FIR, 39% GIR, 2.00 Putts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
Being the horrible nut that I am I spent the day on the golf course and not at temple. I guess God didn't mind cause I broke 80 for the first time since 4th of July weekend of 2013!

You will be there this Saturday though?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next