It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: :lol: I meant playing any golf while in Mexico

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: :lol: I meant playing any golf while in Mexico

No. I did that 5 years ago at the Hard Rock course in Playa del Carmen and for what it cost I wouldn't do it again. I had to rent clubs, I bought some balls and had the first tee time in the morning. The shuttle van dropped me off while it was still dark and I was good to go. I can't remember what it cost but I'm guessing it was around $200 if not more. Long story short the people behind me warned of the coati in the jungle that would come out and steal your food, phone, wallet..... anything they could get their hands on. I was thankful for the advice. I put all my valuables in my bag and they definitely came out of the jungle and we're shy about getting in the cart when I was hitting. It was a tight course cut through residential areas. I about ran out of a box of balls. It was fun and it makes for a fun story to tell but not worth the trouble. I finished my round in about 90 minutes but found out that the van wasn't coming back for another three hours because they assumed a round was going to take 5 hours at least. It was all inclusive so I drank for about an hour and then the pro hired a cab to take me back to my resort 35 minutes away. Essentially wasted almost a half day. Probably would be a blast with buddies but I'd rather keep the money and play a few nice courses at home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:10 am 

Had a nice time hitting balls last night. Got there at 5pm and we grabbed the last of 30 bays. There were at least half a dozen people chipping onto a practice green out front. Very nice facility and relatively simple. All bays heated. They have two hooked up to Trackman where you can pay $40 an hour to use for either a range session or play a famous course virtually but you actually hit the balls out into the range and the software reads it. Seemed interesting to me. I was told you can also have them send you the data after your session or game if you want which is a cool feature if you are into spin rates and other various data it collects. First handful of shots were rough including a shank or two but by the end of the session I was hitting the ball much better and may have found something with the driver and hit a ball left to right a handful of times so overall a fun time. MANY of the better local players were out there as pointed out to us by a local guy who knows everyone. Tony Romo's dad ( owner of the range ) was also a few bays down from us hitting balls and talking with those other guys. Wish it was a little closer to my house as it takes a solid 35 minutes for me to get there. I'd be interested to see what kind of money the place makes, seems like a small gold mine to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:06 am 

Going to hit balls again tonight after a 2 week layoff. I always hope that around this time of year the weather will be nice enough to start getting out there but not aware of any courses open up near me yet. Going to be very cold and wet this weekend anyway. I remember quite a few opening weekends for the NCAA where it was shorts and t-shirt weather. Also have a couple of suppliers coming in next week looking to hit balls virtually so that is looking promising.

Not that anyone cares but I have decided to try to finally learn to hit the ball with a fade and these new clubs may sort of require me to do so. Started getting it down last time I hit balls so we will see what happens tonight. Going to be some growing pains but if I could work the ball both ways it would be super advantageous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:50 am 

Latest session last night was a success. Don't think any more posts warranted until actually getting out and playing somewhere. Hoping that is before end of the month. Outside chance I will get in a 2 man scramble tournament with a buddy next weekend but obviously weather dependent. Got to the point where a fade is possible but really have to manufacture one with the irons. In my mind what feels like cutting across the ball is actually swinging right down the line and most balls were going pretty straight. Going back to my comfortable swing and moving the ball right to left is always an option. Still can really feel the difference between hitting in the middle vs not in the middle but that will tighten up as the season goes on. Hit the ball much higher but definitely capable of hitting it in a mid and low trajectory as well which is what these clubs are supposed to allow you to do. My buddy got the new Stealth HD irons and he likes those as well. As a senior he just needed some help with speed and trajectory, pretty sure his clubs were like 20 years old. Going to be an interesting season that is for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:00 am 
100000 CLUB

My Dad is 70 and obviously suffers the same issues with lack of distance, speed, etc. He's still pretty accurate- especially off the tee- but I'm wondering if he should get new clubs as well as his Callaways are likely 15-20 years old.

Despite the weather, I may end up at Cog Hill tomorrow and hit bucket at their heated bays. As long as the wind isn't directly in my face, I should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:57 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
My Dad is 70 and obviously suffers the same issues with lack of distance, speed, etc. He's still pretty accurate- especially off the tee- but I'm wondering if he should get new clubs as well as his Callaways are likely 15-20 years old.

Despite the weather, I may end up at Cog Hill tomorrow and hit bucket at their heated bays. As long as the wind isn't directly in my face, I should be fine.

My buddy is in his late 60s and still plays at a pretty high level. The Stealth HD irons look a little funky but they get progressively larger in the wedges so they look "normal". I hit a few with them and they seemed nice. he was hitting the ball probably 10% higher than he usually does and one club longer. Seemed like really good clubs for seniors or someone looking for a little game improvement style clubs if you can get past the look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I bought a near mint second hand TM Sim2 Max. I am sure now my problems are solved. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:15 am 

pittmike wrote:
I bought a near mint second hand TM Sim2 Max. I am sure now my problems are solved. :|

8) Should be fun to hit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

Fuck you, Weather.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:22 pm 

Weird day here. Rain like hell then sun then clouds now 80 mph gusts but sunny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:45 am 

My home course opens Monday. I may try to get out for nine after work this week, only the die hards will be out there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 am 
100000 CLUB

Mid 40s with 40-50mph winds on Saturday. Warmer, but potentially 30mph gusts on Sunday.

This is fucking atrocious. March has been worse than February.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:14 pm 

Still going to try to play Sunday at this point even though it will likely be cold and frosty. Wind won't pick up until I would be done. Saturday looks like it is going to be a washout. Only got out 5 times last year before May 1st so I am determined to try to hit 7 or 8 this early in the season. When I look back at my records it appears that mid March was not an unreasonable time to expect to get out over the past 10 years. The last couple springs have been pretty awful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:18 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Mid 40s with 40-50mph winds on Saturday. Warmer, but potentially 30mph gusts on Sunday.

This is fucking atrocious. March has been worse than February.

Should be a fun plane flight out Saturday evening.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

You suck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:28 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You suck.

:P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: :lol:

As jealous as I am, I'm also very happy for you. As a lifelong golf guy, you understand how special next Wednesday will be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Just booked Qunitero in Phoenix for May 18. Supposed to have the best views and vistas of any course in the area. Part of my 10 year Maccabi Gold medal reunion weekend.

Hopefully I can get out and play a round or two before going to Phoenix.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I haven't played yet, but my last echocardiogram a couple of weeks ago showed more improvement as the Entresto has helped my heart regain most of its previous squeeze strength. I'm now cleared to play regular rounds with a cart, although at first I will probably drop a ball at the 250 marker for a few rounds. I'm going to be away much of the first half of April, but hoping to start playing regularly after that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:21 am 

Going to show up Sunday to play. Definitely will be frost delay but as long as the course is open I am going to hit it around. Cart paths only means I will get the wheels out and walk as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Got out for 9 holes yesterday afternoon. Felt great getting out there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:00 am 

Franky T wrote:

Good work Franky. I enjoyed my time with the virtual golf but don't really trust them. When I started hitting at a range outside things looked much more promising. I appear to be hitting new sticks a club shorter than my old ones and much higher. Not a huge problem and maybe when the weather gets warmer it will be more like a half club. Definitely want to work on a more outside to in swing path rather than inside to out as I've been working with for years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Good work Franky. I enjoyed my time with the virtual golf but don't really trust them. When I started hitting at a range outside things looked much more promising. I appear to be hitting new sticks a club shorter than my old ones and much higher. Not a huge problem and maybe when the weather gets warmer it will be more like a half club. Definitely want to work on a more outside to in swing path rather than inside to out as I've been working with for years.

I hit a couple shots that came up short yesterday. You have to remember the ball doesn't travel as far this time of year. Plus I was using a crappy ball. Not breaking out pro v's this time of year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:24 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

I hit a couple shots that came up short yesterday. You have to remember the ball doesn't travel as far this time of year. Plus I was using a crappy ball. Not breaking out pro v's this time of year.

That is a good reminder. I am sure it will be pretty clear walking up the fairway in 40 degree temps. Grew a beard the past 10 days in anticipation of having a pretty cold face the next 6 weeks. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:50 am 

Wet but not a total sloppy mess. It was a really long walk and my legs were cashed by the end. For not playing in 6 months I was happy with an 81. Two double bogeys hurt the card. It was in the mid 30s when we teed off but warmed up ok and wasn’t too windy. Looking like Friday, Saturday and Sunday golf this week. 2:40 to play was glorious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

I'm shocked you didn't have to play in a mudpit, Tbone. More rain here mid week, but hopefully dry most of Weds and Thurs which should help.

Heading out Friday morning. First round of the year so I will ride. Could be a bit chilly warming up and to start the round, but should be manageable and warm into the 50s for the back 9. Not all that concerned about score, but mid 40s on the back 9 would be nice.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:18 am 

If weather holds true I golf Friday and it will be good indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:39 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'm shocked you didn't have to play in a mudpit, Tbone. More rain here mid week, but hopefully dry most of Weds and Thurs which should help.

Heading out Friday morning. First round of the year so I will ride. Could be a bit chilly warming up and to start the round, but should be manageable and warm into the 50s for the back 9. Not all that concerned about score, but mid 40s on the back 9 would be nice.

We have been relatively fortunate up this way with rain and snow overall. Most of the winter we were behind on snow and then it caught up to us the past month or 6 weeks. The way it was spread out over the winter I believe helped with not a lot of standing water and stuff. It's also nice they are supposed to be cart path only. I am sure it is just a matter of time before people start ignoring that and tearing things up a bit. I walked since my buddy was going to but my pass includes a cart if I want one and will likely take one this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:40 pm 

pittmike wrote:
If weather holds true I golf Friday and it will be good indeed.

Nice. Will you try that tip to get rid of your slice? Not sure if you have been hitting virtually or outside at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next