It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Spaulding wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
I think you answered your own question. Dieting is a lifestyle change. Without the will power you will fail. What foods have you given up?

RFDC wrote:
guess you have figured it out. If you want to lose weight it can be done many ways but it all involves some type of change and sacrifice.

I changed the drinking and night snacking. That should have been enough and am not seeing results. I eat pretty healthy at meals and during the day.

Carbs & sugar are the enemy. Reduce them & you will lose weight & feel great.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
RFDC wrote:
:lol: typical female. You are given help but you don't like the help offered

Typical man giving solutions you know will work when you don't really know what you are talking about.

Scorehead wrote:

I pretty much have. I've been gluten free dairy free for about 4 years. The last 6 weeks I've cut out the substitutes and gone fairly low carb. I'm not really a sugar person. I'm having something carby occasionally like sushi, booze, or chips at a party but not nightly like I was and I'm not seeing a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:27 am 

Spaulding wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Typical man giving solutions you know will work when you don't really know what you are talking about.

Scorehead wrote:

I pretty much have. I've been gluten free dairy free for about 4 years. The last 6 weeks I've cut out the substitutes and gone fairly low carb. I'm not really a sugar person. I'm having something carby occasionally like sushi, booze, or chips at a party but not nightly like I was and I'm not seeing a difference.

I am 8 months into the paleo/caveman diet. I completely gave up diet pop, sugar, bread, dairy, pasta, processed, & fast & junk foods. I'm down 30 pounds & feel better than I have in 20 years. I miss dairy products like you cant believe...but eating only meat, fish, fruits, veggies & nuts has become way of life for me. I don't get headaches anymore & the little aches & pains that I used to get are non existent now.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Scorehead wrote:

I am 8 months into the paleo/caveman diet. I completely gave up diet pop, sugar, bread, dairy, pasta, processed, & fast & junk foods. I'm down 30 pounds & feel better than I have in 20 years. I miss dairy products like you cant believe...but eating only meat, fish, fruits, veggies & nuts has become way of life for me. I don't get headaches anymore & the little aches & pains that I used to get are non existent now.

I should try something like this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Scorehead, you know that a bleu cheese olive isn't a natural occurrence, right? Someone, usually an immigrant, has to stuff actual cheese in there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 am 

Spaulding wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol: Then don't whine you aren't losing weight when others of us are. :wink:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Scorehead, you know that a bleu cheese olive isn't a natural occurrence, right? Someone, usually an immigrant, has to stuff actual cheese in there.

I used to stuff my own. God I love Blue Cheese olives but I try to stay away from them now.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:41 am 

I've been hitting the gym but not watching what I eat. Been doing a little better of late so on Tuesday
I threw on some shorts and a sweatshirt and ran 2.5 miles outside. I really wasn't expecting much but
managed to finish in 24 minutes. Certainly not fast but for a hilly course I was willing to accept it. I
was jogging on the treadmill at 5 or 5.5 with a 1 incline and it wasn't all that challenging. I guess I
was taking it a little easy on myself. Actually going out and jogging is where it is at. Anyway, for a
245 lb guy I didn't think I did that bad for the first time out in a while. I need to sign up for a 5K or
something and work at it. Should be nice tonight so probably go for another loop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
does anyone have a good recommendation for an exercise mat ?

i want one that's fairly large, but also not TOO cushioned as i'm not doing gymnastics

all i seem to be able to find are yoga mats, which are all too small...and the few large ones i've found are basically for gymnastics as they're very thick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
So I made it thru the first 4 weeks of Insanity. I don't seem to remember this from having done it once before but I really didn't lose much weight, maybe 2 lbs. I could've sworn I lost more last time after month 1. Anyway Im down 1 notch on my belt so I know I lost inches. Month 2 is the bitch of this program though and where it really happens. Workouts are 15 mins longer and brutal. Feel great after 4 weeks , glad I started back up end am back in the routine.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Spaulding wrote:
My scale isn't budging. I need a better plan and more will power. I'm really frustrated.

Diet is king.

1000-1200 calories per day.

Start there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:20 pm 

Bagels wrote:

yeah. don't use one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:

Diet is king.

Start there.

Is that healthy?

I narrowed it down. My first problem is booze. Not that I have too much, just too often. Then I snack on chips. Just gotta stop that. I sometimes can't get to the gym regularly but that should never be a problem again. I also eat too late, I need a better schedule. No food after 7pm kind of thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
1000-1200 calories is awfully low. Starving yourself isn't all that healthy IMO. What you are really looking for is an overall caloric deficit. Expenditure>Intake= wt loss.

Go do something fun like join a crossfit gym or something that will beat the crap out of you and get your expenditure up but they will or should preach to you about a good diet that will provide you with the calories you need to do these bad ass workouts and live life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:34 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Diet is king.

Start there.

Is that healthy?

I narrowed it down. My first problem is booze. Not that I have too much, just too often. Then I snack on chips. Just gotta stop that. I sometimes can't get to the gym regularly but that should never be a problem again. I also eat too late, I need a better schedule. No food after 7pm kind of thing.

Yes it is. In my opinion, if your eating 2,000+ you're way, way over the limit, a normal, low level active person doesn't need to eat that much. When you eat and all that is peripheral, it's simply how much you eat. At least for the most part.

Take a week and record your regular diet....booze, chips etc. Find your Basil Metabolic Rate. Record the calories and you'll be surprised at what you'll find.

The reason why you find frustration on the scale is because you're eating far too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
1000-1200 calories is awfully low. Starving yourself isn't all that healthy IMO. What you are really looking for is an overall caloric deficit. Expenditure>Intake= wt loss.

Go do something fun like join a crossfit gym or something that will beat the crap out of you and get your expenditure up but they will or should preach to you about a good diet that will provide you with the calories you need to do these bad ass workouts and live life.

1200 calories a day is starving yourself? I really disagree with that.

A "good diet" may very will still be too high in calories. You want to expend more than you take in? You have to cut.

You can fudge a bit and bump it to 1500 if you have a solid activity routine, but if you're taking in around 2000 per day....you're not going to see any weight loss. Especially after you cross the 30 year old mark and especially if your female and past 30.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
SomeGuy wrote:

A "good diet" may very will still be too high in calories. You want to expend more than you take in? You have to cut.

You can fudge a bit and bump it to 1500 if you have a solid activity routine, but if you're taking in around 2000 per day....you're not going to see any weight loss. Especially after you cross the 30 year old mark and especially if your female and past 30.

I am assuming some kind of exercise regiment would go along with this. If you work out for 30-60 minutes and burn 500-800 calories then you need to account for that and give your body the fuel it needs....you don't want to deprive it to the point that you are breaking down lean muscle mass to get the energy to workout. If you are completely sedentary then you can drop it to 1200 but I would rather work out and eat smart but eat enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:46 pm 

1200 calories per day is Minnesota starvation experimentesque.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:47 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:

I am assuming some kind of exercise regiment would go along with this. If you work out for 30-60 minutes and burn 500-800 calories then you need to account for that and give your body the fuel it needs....you don't want to deprive it to the point that you are breaking down lean muscle mass to get the energy to workout. If you are completely sedentary then you can drop it to 1200 but I would rather work out and eat smart but eat enough.

Fair enough. But "enough" is a relative thing. Age, sex, activity level etc all factor in and thinking about it a bit more I'll "rephrase" 1000-1200 for periods of time but not forever. That said, if you use 1000-1200 for a time to break a plateau you still don't want to shoot up to 2000 or thereabouts, even if active.

Personally I do 1000-1200 during the week with a 4/day per week weight/cardio routine and stick around 1500-1600 on the weekends. I'll pig out every no and again to make sure my body doesn't down regulate my metabolism.

Again, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:50 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Not really, opinions vary and so do circumstances but take a look at your weekly diet and see for yourself.

For me?

Oatmeal + fruit and green tea for breakfast

Apple for snack

400-500 calorie lunch (no fast food)

small snack

Workout after work

Dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:52 pm 

I believe in taking care of myself. In a balanced diet, and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:52 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Personally I do 1000-1200 during the week with a 4/day per week weight/cardio routine and stick around 1500-1600 on the weekends. I'll pig out every no and again to make sure my body doesn't down regulate my metabolism.

Again, just my opinion.

You do this all the time? Is this just to maintain weight or are you constantly trying to lose?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
SomeGuy wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Not really, opinions vary and so do circumstances but take a look at your weekly diet and see for yourself.

For me?

Apple for snack

small snack

Workout after work

Dinner.

How do you get fucked up?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 pm 

RFDC wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Again, just my opinion.

You do this all the time? Is this just to maintain weight or are you constantly trying to lose?

I was a pretty solid 255 in college and after, good shape just a bit puffy. I was 255 at 2010 and now I'm about 220~.

Strength is still there but my cardio level is really good and I feel a lot better.

Like I said, I'm stay quasi consistent with that diet, it's not locked in stone but my fluctuations are 1000-1600cal per day with some pig out days every once and while. I don't keep a journal or anything as I just know my body and what I eat.

Fitness Importance Draft
1.)Diet
1a.)Mental
2.)Exercise
3.)Consistency in both.
4.)Low T Center

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:00 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

For me?

Apple for snack

small snack

Workout after work

Dinner.

How do you get fucked up?

I pick my spots! In my mind, health and fitness are not measured in how many days or weeks you were "good." It's taken over months and even years. I may have bad a week but it's still better than many peoples and a bump in the road. You dust yourself off, sober up, shit out the triple cheeseburger and get back on the wagon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
W_Z wrote:
Bagels wrote:

yeah. don't use one.

great help you are..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm 

http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/?ref=nav

Put your information in and it will tell you how much you should be eating in a day.

Just ignore the BMI stuff. I'd look like I was going to die if I followed their low end recommendation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:32 pm 

2014 has been more of a Commitment to Failure/Apathy. I am going to reboot my plan and try
again once my parents leave town Thursday. I have already signed up for a 5K on July 4th to get
my ass in gear. My diet has really stunk lately and exercise has been minimal other than walking
a lot on and off the golf course. I haven't been to the gym in over a month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 am 

basketball jersey jogging season is in full swing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 am 

Went to the gym 4 times last week and will go a little less this week due to a prior commitment.
Been using my FitBit to track my food and exercise and I have shed 4 lbs since last week so I
feel pretty good about that, hopefully I can continue to stick with it. My friend and I are doing
it together so it helps that we can help each other stay on track. She and I have been hitting
the gym together during the week and I ran that 5K with her last weekend. I was more there
for moral support for her as she is really slow but was still good to get out there and I think I
will sign up for a few more and run them at my pace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next