It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Furious Styles wrote:
What grinds did you get? Never played Vokeys, but the OTR bounce/grinds options really make them appealing. My wedge game was strong years ago with the OG Cleveland 588 and I'm still playing a version of those with heel/toe relief (GTO tour grind, whatever the hell that is). Would love to be able to demo different grinds on in actual grass/sand.

Got the 56 degree with 8 degree bounce. The 60 degree has a 4 degree bounce. That is the lowest amount of
bounce on each wedge. I hope it doesn't hurt me too much out of certain situations in the sand but I like to be
able to lay my wedges flat open when I want to and with too much bounce underneath I can't do it and look good
to my eye. The 54,56,58 and 60 degree wedges all have three grind options so you really can find something
that will work for you. The 48, 50 and 52 each have 2 grind options. They also make a 62 and 64 if you are
looking for something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Superintendent at a local course my Dad and I golf at 8-10 times each year has a blog. I emailed him a couple of questions about getting the course ready for the Spring, should it even get here. Figured some of you might find this interesting. They are scheduled to open up mid-March, but who knows.
Quote:
February 17, 2014

26 days and counting.

I'm sitting in my office looking at the blizzard taking place outside my window and wondering...with the new 5"to 8" of predicted snow on top of the 24" already on the ground, how long is it going to take for all of that white stuff to melt and how in the world are we going to get this golf course open by March 15th? Earlier today, I also received an email from a blog reader, who requested that I write about the following:

1. After a brutal winter like this one, how do you get the course ready for play by mid-march?

2. What will need to be done this year as opposed to years with normal winters?

3. How deep is the frost layer in the soil?

I figure if one loyal reader has these questions, maybe my other loyal reader might have similar questions...so I will try to answer them in this blog post. First, the honest answer is that I don't really know, but based on a few years of experience, I can speculate.

1. Obviously, the possibility of getting the course ready for a mid-March opening will all depend on how soon the snow melts. In a similar winter in 1978/1979, (I might have been there to experience it or I might have been too young and just read about it.) the snow didn't melt until the third week in March. As of today, it almost seems to be impossible that the snow could melt anytime soon. I do know one thing from observing weather through the years...weather patterns can change quickly and a couple of 60 degree days or some warm rain would change things dramatically. If the snow does melt, it doesn't take long to get the course ready. As long as golfers can get out and play, early in the season they tend to be very forgiving and will ignore less than pristine conditions. If the snow doesn't melt, I will be in Wiley's Grill on the 15th drinking one of the new craft beers that are now on tap and talking about the good old days and the winter of 1978/1979.

2. I'm not sure whether or not we will have to do anything special to get the course ready this year. I do know that we will have a lot of clean-up from last November's wind storm that did significant tree damage. What we do to prep the course for opening will be determined by what we find when the snow melts. This job requires that you adjust to whatever Mother Nature throws your way. When we had the equally tough winter in 1978/1979 and there was a lot of snow-mold disease present after the thaw, many courses had to re-establish large areas turf through seeding. This year the grass was a little more dormant prior to the snow so maybe it won't be as big an issue. Either way, we'll find out soon. We spray preventative snow-mold fungicides on greens and tees, but due to costs and the fact that we don't often get severe winters, not fairways.

3. As far as the depth of frost in the ground…an interesting phenomenon occurs under snow. Even though the temperatures have averaged way below normal, and the ground was frozen prior to the snow, (I've been told to about 24"), snow insulates the soil from the cold temperatures above the snow and the freeze line tends to migrate up. Just like the thickness of the Owings Corning fiberglass in your attic, the deeper the snow, the better the insulation. My guess is, (I haven't gone out this year to check but I have many time in the past), that most of the frost is already out of the ground. This is not the case anywhere the snow has been removed like pavement where deep this year's deep freezing of soil has caused a lot of water main breaks.

4. Though it seems like we may never get out on the course, its not quite as bad as you think. A couple of 50 degree days strung together can instantly thaw and melt things enough to have the course relatively playable in a few days. If the snow, for the most part, can melt in the next 15-20 days, then we can absolutely have the course ready to go for our annual "St. Patrick's Day Opening Day" on Saturday, March 15.

Thanks to Frank for being a loyal reader, emailing the questions and for the inspiration for today's blog entry. Keep the cards, letters, phone calls, Facebook messages, tweets and emails coming.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Thanks to Frank for being a loyal reader, emailing the questions and for the inspiration for today's blog entry. Keep the cards, letters, phone calls, Facebook messages, tweets and emails coming.

That's a whole lot of work you are putting in, Frank.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
anyone want to me in my bracket challenge for the WGC PM me your email and I'll invite you. Picks need to be made today since it starts tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm 

Went to the golf show this weekend. Lots of booths, but not nearly enough free stuff. In fact, pretty much none. It was cool to walk around and see all the booths, but since I wasn't looking at picking up any equipment I didn't really benefit from being there like others. Seemed like there must've been some good deals cause lots of people were buying clubs. I imagine it was all last year's stuff, but I could be wrong since I didn't even look at that stuff.

I did sign up for the amateur tour and the CDGA at discounted rates so that was good.

Took a look at some of the synthetic turf displays, would love to get an indoor putting green, but they are pretty expensive.

Signed up for some giveaways at some courses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hoping to at least be able to get to a damn driving range and practice green before April :cry: :( :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hoping to at least be able to get to a damn driving range and practice green before April :cry: :( :x

Good luck with that, I am thinking May.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Cog Hill has heated bays and is open year round. I'll go there probably a couple different times in March month to at least get a bit of practice in. Maybe the Golf Gods will smile upon us and allow a late month round to be played, even in less than desirable conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cog Hill has heated bays and is open year round. I'll go there probably a couple different times in March month to at least get a bit of practice in. Maybe the Golf Gods will smile upon us and allow a late month round to be played, even in less than desirable conditions.

I have a membership this season so I am itching to get out more than I have the past few years. Last time I
had one in 2010 I got 5 March rounds in :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 am 

Going to be taking a handful of clubs in to get the mid-sized grips put on to match the others. Might be
different brands but should be close enough. Also taking my 2 Scotty Camerons in to get the Sure Stroke
grips put on. Have a coupon from Dick's to get it done for a buck a club which I thought was reasonable.
I am sure they will get me for the grips but overall it is likely a wash. I don't want to mess with doing it
myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
T-Bone wrote:
Going to be taking a handful of clubs in to get the mid-sized grips put on to match the others. Might be
different brands but should be close enough. Also taking my 2 Scotty Camerons in to get the Sure Stroke
grips put on. Have a coupon from Dick's to get it done for a buck a club which I thought was reasonable.
I am sure they will get me for the grips but overall it is likely a wash. I don't want to mess with doing it
myself.

It's really not that difficult, or time consuming.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 am 

Chus wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
myself.

It's really not that difficult, or time consuming.

I know, I have been told. Maybe I can try next year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Watch the Honda Classic live:

http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am 

PGA Superstore has been $1/grip for a while now. Doesn't matter if you buy them there or not. Plus, you get the added benefit of trying out all the new putters while waiting. Twice I've walked in with a grip and they didn't even bother to charge me. No wonder the Golf Galaxy in Schaumburg is closing.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:28 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
PGA Superstore has been $1/grip for a while now. Doesn't matter if you buy them there or not. Plus, you get the added benefit of trying out all the new putters while waiting. Twice I've walked in with a grip and they didn't even bother to charge me. No wonder the Golf Galaxy in Schaumburg is closing.

Interesting. I am kind of stuck here in Kenosha. There really isn't anywhere else I can go locally to get
this done that I am aware of. Used to be a golf store called Golf Shack that was pretty good but that went
under a few years ago. This area of SE Wisconsin is sorely missing a good golf store and a nice golf range/
practice facility. I have to drive to Milwaukee for a Golfsmith or Vernon Hills for a Golf Galaxy and for a
good practice facility it is almost 30 minutes to Pine Meadow in Mundelein.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Interesting. I am kind of stuck here in Kenosha. There really isn't anywhere else I can go locally to get
this done that I am aware of. Used to be a golf store called Golf Shack that was pretty good but that went
under a few years ago. This area of SE Wisconsin is sorely missing a good golf store and a nice golf range/
practice facility. I have to drive to Milwaukee for a Golfsmith or Vernon Hills for a Golf Galaxy and for a
good practice facility it is almost 30 minutes to Pine Meadow in Mundelein.

PGA SS is really great. Been to both locations and the service is first-rate. Haven't set foot in a Dick's, Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith since. RIP the Golf Shack. I used to go to the one in Rockford for a long time. I was buying gear there for years, even well after I moved away. They had an outdoor range/mats, so you could see the ball flight vs. hitting into a net. Testing equipment indoors blows.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:48 am 

Dropped clubs off last night. They had the same Golf Pride grips I currently have on my irons and Driver in
mid-size but they are red instead of blue ( no big deal ). Also got two 3.0 Super Strokes for the two Scotty's.
I finally stripped off that ancient Super Stroke. I also had a bunch of lead tape on it that had been on for a few
years so I got that off too. What a mess. I had to use a razor blade and Goo Gone to get all the glue off the
stupid thing. Not sure which putter I will go with this season. The one is lighter but longer, while the one
that has been in use the last few years looks good to my eye but is only 34 inches long. Anyway the
grips were $9.99 a pc and putter grips were $24.95 each. No cost to install. Definitely will look at doing
it myself next time, luckily I had a $20 off coupon which helped. Picking them up this afternoon which I
was suprised about, but happy to hear. Today I am going to buy a Hydroflask for the golf bag/push cart.
My buddies had them last year and keeps water or beverage cold entire round.

http://www.hydroflask.com/shop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:18 am 

I'm gonna take my 6 iron in and get it regripped. Figure that is a good club to test it with to see if I like the grips. I want something a little thicker than what comes standard.

Also, after watching the frenchie Dubisone at the Match play do well with my exact Scotty Cameron putter and super stroke I like I'm going to bring my putter in and have the Super stroke put on. Originally I was hesitant to regrip a Scotty, but if its good enough for a guy like that its sure as shit good enough for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 am 

shakes wrote:
I'm gonna take my 6 iron in and get it regripped. Figure that is a good club to test it with to see if I like the grips. I want something a little thicker than what comes standard.

Also, after watching the frenchie Dubisone at the Match play do well with my exact Scotty Cameron putter and super stroke I like I'm going to bring my putter in and have the Super stroke put on. Originally I was hesitant to regrip a Scotty, but if its good enough for a guy like that its sure as shit good enough for me.

Try the mid-sized grip. I made the switch a few years ago and really liked the thicker feel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 am 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Try the mid-sized grip. I made the switch a few years ago and really liked the thicker feel.

Thanks, gonna do just that.

Did you try with just one first to see if you liked it or did you go all in and do them all? I figure I'd start with one and go to the dome and check it out and if I like it go back and do the rest. Not like we don't have time..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:52 am 

You can also have them add multiple wraps to standard grips to get you something in between standard and mid-size. One thing I've had them do to my wedges is put an extra wrap or two on the lower part of my wedges for when I choke down on the grip. Even .580 vs.600 core grip size can make a difference when trying to get just the right size.

Those SS putter grips can be pretty heavy compared to even something like a mid-size Winn . I have the SS Ultra 1.0 and it’s only 65g, but some of the other models are 85g-100g. The nice thing about a putter with a weight kit like yours is you can compensate for the head feeling lighter by adding the heavier weights.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Thanks, gonna do just that.

Did you try with just one first to see if you liked it or did you go all in and do them all? I figure I'd start with one and go to the dome and check it out and if I like it go back and do the rest. Not like we don't have time..

I had mine all done together. They would likely have some on a club where you are looking at grips. I think the idea of doing just one or two and trying it might be a smart idea if you have the time. Maybe an iron and a wood and hit them
for a week or two.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cog Hill has heated bays and is open year round. I'll go there probably a couple different times in March month to at least get a bit of practice in.
I really don't care what the weather is, I will be doing this Friday and/or Saturday this week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cog Hill has heated bays and is open year round. I'll go there probably a couple different times in March month to at least get a bit of practice in.
I really don't care what the weather is, I will be doing this Friday and/or Saturday this week.

As long as its above freezing you'll be fine in the heated bays. At least that was my experience from going to Top Golf this winter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:13 pm 

Just went and got my Gap Wedge and 6 iron regripped with soft grips, forgot the name. Gonna go to Top Golf tomorow and test them out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm 

shakes wrote:
Just went and got my Gap Wedge and 6 iron regripped with soft grips, forgot the name. Gonna go to Top Golf tomorow and test them out.

Soft grips? Did you go with the mid-sized? If so do you like the feel initially?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 pm 

Here the are. Supposed to be good if you have a strong grip which I think I do. Also good in wet weather. Con is that they wear out quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:35 pm 

shakes wrote:
Supposed to be good if you have a strong grip which I think I do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:45 pm 

I was going to make a joke about whether or not you had arthritis but heck, maybe you do after I read a brief
review of the product on their website.... marriage does age you quicker I believe

Featuring Winn’s original Excel polymer material, the iconic Excel Series represents Winn’s most popular and longest running grips. The Excel material provides amazing tackiness and cushioned comfort. It is also the premier grip for shock absorption and vibration dampening, making it the hands-down choice for golfers suffering from arthritis and hand fatigue for over 15 years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:01 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I was going to make a joke about whether or not you had arthritis but heck, maybe you do after I read a brief
review of the product on their website.... marriage does age you quicker I believe

Featuring Winn’s original Excel polymer material, the iconic Excel Series represents Winn’s most popular and longest running grips. The Excel material provides amazing tackiness and cushioned comfort. It is also the premier grip for shock absorption and vibration dampening, making it the hands-down choice for golfers suffering from arthritis and hand fatigue for over 15 years.

hmm, so basically I bought a grip for really old people. Oh well, if I don't like it I can always switch it back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next