It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vacation
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
been all over the internet. What's a good multi family vacation spot during the summer?

Post subject: Re: vacation
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Spaulding wrote:
been all over the internet. What's a good multi family vacation spot during the summer?

How old are the kids?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Spaulding wrote:

Door County. Munch some cherries.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

How old are the kids?

8-12. 6 - 12 year olds, 4 - 9 year olds and 3 +/- within a year of those ages.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Door County. Munch some cherries.

That's pretty good. That didn't occur to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

My sisters take their kids to Wisconsin Dells. They like it. Short drive makes it less expensive than other places.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:28 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

How old are the kids?

A good place to see the ocean in Gulf Shores, Alabama. My kids were 7, 9, and 13 last summer, and they loved it. There are some touristy things to do in town, but it's mostly a beach and being lazy thing. Beaches were really nice and clean. No riff-raff. We rented a house . . . I'm sure you could get one with five or six bedrooms.

We've gone to Gatlinburg twice as well and the kids liked it. Rented a cabin in the mountains the second time and had a beautiful view. We were done after five days, though; there's only so much touristy things the kids can take. The aquarium there was actually cool, but Dollywood sucked. Cool outdoors parrot habitat, too--we spent a couple hours there.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 pm 

Beardown wrote:
My sisters take their kids to Wisconsin Dells. They like it. Short drive makes it less expensive than other places.

Shit....we go to the Dells too much. We've been going every winter--the water parks are enormous (Wilderness Resort and Great Wolf), but we also went last summer for a few days, and there was some cool stuff to do outside (the deer park, which has hundreds of greedy little deer that come right up to you for snacks). It's a lot like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (the go carting, the boat tours, etc.). If your kids like swimming, it's a good time. Supposedly good golfing there, too, though ten years of caddying killed golf for me, so I can personally vouch for them.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Spaulding wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

How old are the kids?

How old are the kids?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
is there a vacation destination near any of the couples relatives? so the adult couples can dump the kids on some aunts or grandmas and have some adult fun without the kids?

if not, you're going to the Dells. whether you like it or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:58 pm 

yeah everyone goes to the dells. its not horrible and its pretty damn cheap compared to anything else... mainly because the midwest has nothing else

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:01 pm 

but if youre just looking for something low key... you can check out something like rock lake. they have resorts there with multiple cabins you can rent. the kids can swim and the adults can drink at the beach bar. you can eat there too or just grill right on the beach. its a ton more relaxing than what the dells can be at times with all the stimulants

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
couple of slightly longer drives:

Nashville: surprising enjoyable place to tour around for a kid;

Traverse City: like a quieter, more upscale version of the Dells,in some respects.

Traverse City has the Great Wolf thing and beaches. but the water in the big lakes is cold. not really swimmable
except btw mid june and mid august. ton of microbreweries and wineries. which i noticed make an effort to have
kid friendly spaces. outdoor play areas. board games etc. there are farms to tour, pick your own fruits and vegetable type things. plenty to do up there, but it's not as readily apparent and you have to plan and dig a bit to find the good parts. the dunes are pretty awesome for everyone. very not crowded except during cherry fest and film fest but even then it's nothing intolerable.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
IkeSouth wrote:
yeah everyone goes to the dells. its not horrible and its pretty damn cheap compared to anything else... mainly because the midwest has nothing else

Wilderness is the premiere place in the Dells as it is big enough of a complex that you dont need to leave the grounds, everyday to go see stuff at other places in the dells.

They have cabins, condos, hotel rooms, etc indoor/outdoor parks, etc. It really is an impressive place...$150 a night, for a 2 Bed room.

Everywhere else, kids would hate it, here you can just let run loose and you have a 99.99% chance they come back for lunch or dinner.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:32 pm 

bigfan wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Wilderness is the premiere place in the Dells as it is big enough of a complex that you dont need to leave the grounds, everyday to go see stuff at other places in the dells.

They have cabins, condos, hotel rooms, etc indoor/outdoor parks, etc. It really is an impressive place...$150 a night, for a 2 Bed room.

Everywhere else, kids would hate it, here you can just let run loose and you have a 99.99% chance they come back for lunch or dinner.

You can get friggin' lost in that complex (as I did), but with six water parks and outdoor pools as well, it's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:33 pm 

Hussra wrote:
couple of slightly longer drives:

Nashville: surprising enjoyable place to tour around for a kid;

Traverse City: like a quieter, more upscale version of the Dells,in some respects.

Traverse City has the Great Wolf thing and beaches. but the water in the big lakes is cold. not really swimmable
except btw mid june and mid august. ton of microbreweries and wineries. which i noticed make an effort to have
kid friendly spaces. outdoor play areas. board games etc. there are farms to tour, pick your own fruits and vegetable type things. plenty to do up there, but it's not as readily apparent and you have to plan and dig a bit to find the good parts. the dunes are pretty awesome for everyone. very not crowded except during cherry fest and film fest but even then it's nothing intolerable.

Nashville has excellent museums, aquariums, etc. We had fun there for a few days.