It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Softball
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
You guys play? Chicago land has a good number of leagues. I play over here in Quad cities.

We have our league championships and are starting to get into state play. we have no utrip over here on the IL side only ASA. Most Utrip up there if my memory serves me correctly.

Post subject: Re: Softball
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Been playing for 20+ years, mostly ASA, NSA and U-trip once or twice. Started playing 40+ last year. In 4 leagues currently, Sunday Westmont, Monday Elmhurst, Tuesday 40+ Bolingbrook, and Friday Bolongbrook.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Steve from Elmhurst wrote:
I'm a Hall of Famer.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
lipid wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 pm 

I ran a 16inch team for 10 years. Haven't played since 2010.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I play fastpitch out here in DeKalb County. I'll be out in the Quad Cities for the ISC tournament in August. That's worth seeing...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
My friend Jerry who died was a pretty good player. Not as good as his brother Bob, though. Bob is the greatest 16" softball hitter in history and the first guy elected to the 16" Hall of Fame. He pretty much invented "cutting" or "dumping" the ball. There's a famous Royko column about a championship game at Kelly Park that Jerry pitched for the Rogues against the Sobies. Jerry got the Win.

https://books.google.com/books?id=WUMjZ ... es&f=false

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Played first base on a championship Champaign city league team one year, I think 1983. My Al Bundy moment was snagging a pop foul for the final out.

It was never clear to me who sponsored us. As I recall our shirts said Rustler's Steakhouse but they were out of business. We did most of our post-game imbibing at the White Horse Inn so they may have been investors :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
hnd wrote:
You guys play? Chicago land has a good number of leagues. I play over here in Quad cities.

We have our league championships and are starting to get into state play. we have no utrip over here on the IL side only ASA. Most Utrip up there if my memory serves me correctly.

Are you QuadCityPat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am 

City of Fools wrote:
I play fastpitch out here in DeKalb County. I'll be out in the Quad Cities for the ISC tournament in August. That's worth seeing...

yeah its pretty awesome. they have tuesday night leagues down here at green valley which is where that tournament will be held if memory serves me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:30 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Been playing for 20+ years, mostly ASA, NSA and U-trip once or twice. Started playing 40+ last year. In 4 leagues currently, Sunday Westmont, Monday Elmhurst, Tuesday 40+ Bolingbrook, and Friday Bolongbrook.

i dont' get that much leeway with the wife. i play a night or 2 usually and i get the green light to play tournaments end of july and into august. I'll hopefully be going to vegas in dec for E ASA Nationals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 am 

hnd wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

yeah its pretty awesome. they have tuesday night leagues down here at green valley which is where that tournament will be held if memory serves me.

yes, the majority of the games will be there if not all. When I played NAFA there they moved us to another park when we got in the losers bracket...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I played mostly 16" for about 20 years. Up in Waukegan, then out in McHenry by the Legion hall and a lot in Libertyville. It was tough to get the right guys together consistently to travel down to Mt Prospect. The couple years we played there, we were always scrambling to patch together a team and couldn't really compete with the big boys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:17 pm 

i played in one 16" tournament and it was a blast. wish it was around here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:16 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
hnd wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

yes, the majority of the games will be there if not all. When I played NAFA there they moved us to another park when we got in the losers bracket...

so i know you guys use typical slowpitch bats from what i've seen but what weights do you swing or is it all over the board. Guys typically swing the lighter 26/27 oz in slow pitch. or will you use 24-25oz fastpitch bats too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Softball is big here in Ottawa. I played for a couple of teams back in the day and found out I'm just as bad at softball as I was baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm 

hnd wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
hnd wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

so i know you guys use typical slowpitch bats from what i've seen but what weights do you swing or is it all over the board. Guys typically swing the lighter 26/27 oz in slow pitch. or will you use 24-25oz fastpitch bats too?

both...like anything else in baseball, you adjust to a guy throwing 84 mph from 46 feet away...it just takes a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My friend Jerry who died was a pretty good player. Not as good as his brother Bob, though. Bob is the greatest 16" softball hitter in history and the first guy elected to the 16" Hall of Fame. He pretty much invented "cutting" or "dumping" the ball. There's a famous Royko column about a championship game at Kelly Park that Jerry pitched for the Rogues against the Sobies. Jerry got the Win.

https://books.google.com/books?id=WUMjZ ... es&f=false

Compling and rich. The next story in your link is one I always remember too. MANY good columns which is to be expected I guess in a best of book.