It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for fishermen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I took a guy out fishing Thursday who will remain unnamed. He was constantly bitching about the heat, his hunger pangs, killing innocent worms, and not knowing how to use a fishing rod. That's neither here nor there, but I wanted to give some context.

I told him that if you truly believe you are going to catch something, it increases your odds. I explained that the belief will subconsciously make you try harder, pay attention more, and move around.

Needless to say (because he is negative), he told me that was bullshit superstition. So I ask my fellow anglers... do you think positivity/visualization/not being a whiny bitch leads to more fish?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol:

That's a complete mischaracterization. I mentioned it was hot because it was, and was in a great mood all day that day.

But yeah, your positive visualization thing is dumb when it comes to that. I guess you just weren't positive enough at IMU's pond! :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

That's a complete mischaracterization. I mentioned it was hot because it was, and was in a great mood all day that day.

But yeah, your positive visualization thing is dumb when it comes to that. I guess you just weren't positive enough at IMU's pond! :lol:

I didn't say I was describing you. Geesh... paranoid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
FavreFan, did he tell you to say a "Hail, Mary?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I find your assessment correct if said angler is under 12, or older and substance inhibited.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:42 am 

pizza_Place: ....
leashyourkids wrote:
I took a guy out fishing Thursday who will remain unnamed. He was constantly bitching about the heat, his hunger pangs, killing innocent worms, and not knowing how to use a fishing rod. That's neither here nor there, but I wanted to give some context.

I told him that if you truly believe you are going to catch something, it increases your odds. I explained that the belief will subconsciously make you try harder, pay attention more, and move around.

Needless to say (because he is negative), he told me that was bullshit superstition. So I ask my fellow anglers... do you think positivity/visualization/not being a whiny bitch leads to more fish?

No, but this does:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vexilar-T-Pod ... ethod=p13n

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Panther pislA wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No, but this does:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vexilar-T-Pod ... ethod=p13n

Panther pislA wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hail, Mary, full of, grace.
Our, Lord, is with, thee.
Blessed, art, thou, among, women,
and, blessed, is the, fruit, of thy, womb,
Je,sus.
Holy, Mary, Mother, of God,
pray, for us, sinners,
now, and, at the, hour, of our, death.
A,men.
Goonie-goo-goo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Telegram Sam wrote:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:25 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:

Don't be silly. Hail Mary's are reserved for muskies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'll get my buddy to get his boat out n hit this next week.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/medi ... video.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Leash again is the worst human being that ever lived.

Cattlefucker.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Braconi's
leashyourkids wrote:

Where were you fishing? Do you ever use lures or just worms?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:28 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

Fishing is a crap shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:39 am 

I saw a Barracuda snorkeling the other day. Was fuckim huge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
I saw a Barracuda snorkeling the other day.
That is odd. What color mask did he have on?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:09 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I saw a Barracuda snorkeling the other day.
That is odd. What color mask did he have on?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Fishing is a crap shoot.

It's a lot like the MLB playoffs. A lot of luck and timing involved, but you can increase your odds slightly by doing certain things.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Fishing is a crap shoot.

It's a lot like the MLB playoffs. A lot of luck and timing involved, but you can increase your odds slightly by doing certain things.
It's math bro.

I have charts that don't really mean anything but I'll say they do if you want them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 am 

IceGirl wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Where were you fishing? Do you ever use lures or just worms?

We were at the Fox River that day. I rarely use live bait, but we did that day (had to get the little guy some easy bites).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
back to the "superstition part" of fishing.

Its not a supernatural thing but the mental aspects of fishing bares itself out in the professional world. its all a mind/body issue. when you believe in a lure you fish it a lot differently than if you didnt.

so i troll on the river for walleye. using weighted stickbaits and shad raps. i bought a handful of flickershads and would run them the same way. never caught a fish on them. but when i run the stickbaits and shad raps, i'll catch fish. so its all i use. all it took was 1 trip with a buddy running flickershads and we hammered them. so now i run flickershads and catch them. what i found was i gave those flickershads allll but 20 minutes of time to catch me fish. then it was back to my go to.

same thing with gulp minnows. when you have confidence in your baits, you fish them harder, with more concentration, and with more precision.

I love taking people fishing. i never put a baitcaster in someones hands. EVER. always a spinning rod. but you know you are in trouble when they hold it upside down. even though they "fish all the time"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm 

hnd wrote:

Its not a supernatural thing but the mental aspects of fishing bares itself out in the professional world. its all a mind/body issue. when you believe in a lure you fish it a lot differently than if you didnt.

so i troll on the river for walleye. using weighted stickbaits and shad raps. i bought a handful of flickershads and would run them the same way. never caught a fish on them. but when i run the stickbaits and shad raps, i'll catch fish. so its all i use. all it took was 1 trip with a buddy running flickershads and we hammered them. so now i run flickershads and catch them. what i found was i gave those flickershads allll but 20 minutes of time to catch me fish. then it was back to my go to.

same thing with gulp minnows. when you have confidence in your baits, you fish them harder, with more concentration, and with more precision.

I love taking people fishing. i never put a baitcaster in someones hands. EVER. always a spinning rod. but you know you are in trouble when they hold it upside down. even though they "fish all the time"

This guy clearly gets it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
all it took was a few trips with guys who fish tournaments to figure out that confidence plays a huge role in success. but confidence comes with experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Hugo's
leashyourkids wrote:
So I ask my fellow anglers... do you think positivity/visualization/not being a whiny bitch leads to more fish?
Fuck Bitches. Get Money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I think it can make for a better fishing day if your positive about it, better than complaining about it, even if you catch no fish, at least out on the lake.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:28 pm 

reents wrote:
I think it can make for a better fishing day if your positive about it, better than complaining about it, even if you catch no fish, at least out on the lake.

This is pretty much it. A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work or whatever.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
hnd wrote:

\\

Why is that?

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 pm 

Because if they don't stop it from spooling after it hits the water, its a fuckin' mess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:34 pm 

Precisely!

I've seen them that bad, too, except my two baitcast reels usually have braid.