It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 Olympic Golf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Anyone going to be watching/following this? I'll be out of town for the final few rounds so I won't be following any closer than highlights
on Sportscenter or Golf Channel. I think it is pretty interesting for the game of golf but you can't consider this thing anywhere near a
Major Championship based on the overall weak field. I actually hope some lesser known players come out of nowhere and make it
interesting.

Post subject: Re: 2016 Olympic Golf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
No.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
hmm, it's just 72 hole stroke play like any other tournament. was the IOC dicks with the course like US Open level difficult?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I will probably watch a little bit of it, but I am not clearing my schedule to watch or recording it.

Honestly I will probably watch a lot more of it during the winter when Golf Channel replays it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
No.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:31 am 

billypootons wrote:
hmm, it's just 72 hole stroke play like any other tournament. was the IOC dicks with the course like US Open level difficult?

I don't believe it will be all that "difficult". The designer was limited with what he could do environmentally and this will be a public course after the
Olympics so I don't think it was supposed to be all that tricked out. I think extensive bunkering and marsh areas are the biggest defense. The pros
aren't scared of the sand at their level. I haven't seen any guesses as to where the winning score will be or how the course actually looks or plays.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
T-Bone wrote:
Anyone going to be watching/following this? I'll be out of town for the final few rounds so I won't be following any closer than highlights
on Sportscenter or Golf Channel. I think it is pretty interesting for the game of golf but you can't consider this thing anywhere near a
Major Championship based on the overall weak field. I actually hope some lesser known players come out of nowhere and make it
interesting.

In 50 years it might be looked upon as being more cherished than a Major and at that point no one will remember the weak field in 2016. It will be the toughest trophy to win in Golf in that the opportunity will only come around once every four years and to a limited field.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 am 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
interesting.

In 50 years it might be looked upon as being more cherished than a Major and at that point no one will remember the weak field in 2016. It will be the toughest trophy to win in Golf in that the opportunity will only come around once every four years and to a limited field.

Wrong.

Nobody cares.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:16 am 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
interesting.

Honestly I will be surprised if golf survives in the Olympics more than a dozen years. I heard about new sports being added in 2020 and below is what I found online.
Golf will not last because Millennials and many others don't follow it and I'm not sure it truly fits in the Olympic games anyway. To your point and mine, I think winning
a medal for golf will be a unique title to hold since it won't happen many times in our era.

THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) TODAY AGREED TO ADD BASEBALL/SOFTBALL, KARATE, SKATEBOARD, SPORTS CLIMBING AND SURFING TO THE SPORTS PROGRAMME FOR THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020.

The decision by the 129th IOC Session in Rio de Janeiro was the most comprehensive evolution of the Olympic programme in modern history. Plans call for staging the skateboarding and sports climbing events in temporary venues installed in urban settings, marking a historic step in bringing the Games to young people and reflecting the trend of urbanisation of sport.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:24 pm 

Saturday and sunday tickets for golf all sold out. Golf isn't going away from the Olympics. Japan loves its golf, it will be there in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
shakes wrote:
Saturday and sunday tickets for golf all sold out. Golf isn't going away from the Olympics. Japan loves its golf, it will be there in 2020.

Will you be rocking your USA shoes this weekend?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
and to a limited field.

And this is why it's crap. A limited field unless you can claim citizenship to a small African nation or a country that does not golf. I'm a casual fan that will watch majors, I recognized 9 names in the field of 60.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:22 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
and to a limited field.

And this is why it's crap. A limited field unless you can claim citizenship to a small African nation or a country that does not golf. I'm a casual fan that will watch majors, I recognized 9 names in the field of 60.

the reason you only recognize 9 names has nothing to do with limited citizenships. Many top players decided not to go. If they did go you would recognize 40 names in the field.

Don't worry, they'll all be there in Tokyo in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:23 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:

considering I rock them every weekend (along with matching USA socks) I'd say that's a safe bet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
shakes wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
and to a limited field.

the reason you only recognize 9 names has nothing to do with limited citizenships. Many top players decided not to go. If they did go you would recognize 40 names in the field.

Don't worry, they'll all be there in Tokyo in 2020.

It appears there is a max of 4 golfers per country. Using that logic half of the top 60 are throw out giving every country 4 golfers.

Tournament golf works through survivor bias. You cut the field down and those who are on their game filter to the top. More than anything I just think individual is a bad format for this.

I would find a team format to be very interesting. Mixing Ryder cup and match play formats with a head to head.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:

It appears there is a max of 4 golfers per country. Using that logic half of the top 60 are throw out giving every country 4 golfers.

Tournament golf works through survivor bias. You cut the field down and those who are on their game filter to the top. More than anything I just think individual is a bad format for this.

I would find a team format to be very interesting. Mixing Ryder cup and match play formats with a head to head.

You won't get any argument from me regarding the shitty format. I would've liked to see something where there is match play as well as a team event.

You are wrong about the number of people on each team. You only get 4 golfers if all 4 are ranked in the top 15 world wide. Otherwise the cap is 2. And there is a limit to the field so not every country gets it, I think there is some sort of qualifying world ranking that you have to pass in order to be eligible. If everyone went who could go the field would consist of most of the top 75 golfers in the world minus all the extra guys from countries that already have 2-4 guys qualified. The only great golfers who wouldn't be there would be guys from the USA since, for the most part, no other country has more than 2 elite golfers anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 am 

shakes wrote:

It is guaranteed a spot in Tokyo already. Nothing past that. We shall see if it stays or not, I'm saying it will be gone after 2024 if it even makes it that far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:41 pm 

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Was a good ending. Course seemed easy for them.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:15 pm 

I figured Bubba would have been in the hunt this week. A wide open course with no rough, is usually a playground for him.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
TurdFerguson wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
and to a limited field.

Do you watch any of the other Olympic events? If so, how many of those names do you recognize?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
pittmike wrote:
Was a good ending. Course seemed easy for them.

I don't know about that. The three medalists finished double digits under par, but that was it. Comparable to most PGA tournaments. Granted the field wasn't as strong.

I ended up watching more than I thought I would. Although I think that's more because it was Rose and Stenson dueling for the gold.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 am 

Missed the entire thing as I had to work the entire weekend. I've read generally good things about the event but I just
don't see it sticking around much past Tokyo as an Olympic event. It will become a trivia question when we are retired.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
didn't watch, straight.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:31 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Missed the entire thing as I had to work the entire weekend. I've read generally good things about the event but I just
don't see it sticking around much past Tokyo as an Olympic event. It will become a trivia question when we are retired.

Pretty ignorant statement considering you didn't watch a single minute of it.

For those of us that like to give informed opinions, let me say that the event was amazing, better than anything anyone could've expected. The players, to a man, said it was the greatest experience of their lives. Sergio said anyone who doesn't think golf belongs in the Olympics is on drugs and that going there was the best decision of his entire life. Hearing Kuchar say that winning the bronze is the most proud he's ever been of anything he's ever accomplished in golf made my eyes well up. I guarantee every single person who skipped it is kicking themselves right now and will regret it for the rest of their lives.

It was great hearing the announcers talk about how the event has come to mean more for the players once they got down there and realized how golf fits into the landscape of world sport and how they were part of something bigger than just the PGA tour. And how the pressure to win and do well is greater (or different) than anything they've experienced before.

Loved seeing all the different outfits the countries were wearing each day. Great Britain had the best shirts, loved the use of the crest. But, ARgentina had the sharpest Sunday outfit. Loved seeing all the different golf bags, Sweden's was sick. Didn't understand why USA wore the same shirt on Day 2 and day 4??? Too cheap to bring 4 shirts??? Every other country had 4 different outfits. Seemed really odd even though I do own the shirt and like it.

Worst piece of fashion? The Spain baseball hat. It was so cheap looking that Sergio decided he'd rather risk sun stroke all weekend than get caught dead in one.

Back to the event, before it started I moaned about he format and wanted a team event component, but after seeing it I wouldn't change a thing. I like that there is only 1 gold medal out there for golf, makes it that much more special.

Tbone, you said you read generally good things about it today, but I challenge you to find anything negative that was written about it today. Everythign I've seen and heard is absolutely glowing in its praise.

I respect your golf opinion, but I'll side with hank Haney on this one who said today that this will only get bigger and bigger and will eventually be massive.

Looking forward to the women now, all the best ones are gonna be there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 am 

You talked more about wardrobes than actual golf. You sound like a gay.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 am 

Chus wrote:
You talked more about wardrobes than actual golf. You sound like a gay.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:02 am 

I talked about golf more than wardrobes.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:09 am 

If anything the Olympics could do without 20-25 events. Most of the winter games. synchronized anything, trampoline, all of men's gymnastics, equestrian events, air rifle, 10,000M on the track, steeplechase, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, handball, water polo, golf, rugby, I could go on all day after being subjected to much of it over the last few weeks, oh and add in the anti-climatic closing ceremonies to the trash bin of bad history.

All this Olympics has proven is that US women are much, much bigger badasses on the world stage than the men.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:26 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
If anything the Olympics could do without 20-25 events. Most of the winter games. synchronized anything, trampoline, all of men's gymnastics, equestrian events, air rifle, 10,000M on the track, steeplechase, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, handball, water polo, golf, rugby, I could go on all day after being subjected to much of it over the last few weeks, oh and add in the anti-climatic closing ceremonies to the trash bin of bad history.

All this Olympics has proven is that US women are much, much bigger badasses on the world stage than the men.

I give you the gold medal in the sport of "stupid opinions"

Rugby was fucking awesome, my new favorite event of the games. Shooting events are great, love the 10,000 meters. I pretty much like every event except mens gymnastics, Syncrho swim, rowing, equestrian.