It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 FedEx Cup Playoffs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Looking forward to all the big names back and competing for the big prize. It's been a strange year with the Olympics and truncated
PGA Majors schedule this year. Should be a really good way to kick off this week playing Bethpage's Black Course. I don't remember
much about it from previous big tournaments but look forward to watching and remembering some of the layout. Not rooting for
anyone in particular but would be fun to see a dozen guys going to East Lake with a legit shot to take the 10 million dollar prize.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I'm only rooting for guys who went to the Olympics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 am 

Stenson pulled up lame yesterday which was a surprise. I wonder if he will be back next week. Wonder where it happened, I was certainly surprised to see
him start bogey, triple bogey yesterday. He managed to make 5 birdies after that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
shakes wrote:
I'm only rooting for guys who went to the Olympics.

Like that quitter Stenson?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boy, Rickie really spit the bit over the last few holes yesterday.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:57 am 

I watched a lot of the golf Sunday and Rickie couldn't hang in there. He may have played himself right out of the Ryder Cup captain pick.
He has a pretty poor Ryder Cup record overall. Looked like a really difficult course and I guess it will be back there for the PGA Championship
in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 am 

I don't know or remember much about this tournament site. I'm guessing this is the one that ends on Labor Day since the lineups were not posted
on the Fantasy site. Do they move this one around to multiple courses as well?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
T-Bone wrote:
I don't know or remember much about this tournament site. I'm guessing this is the one that ends on Labor Day since the lineups were not posted

Every year, it is at TPC Boston on Labor Day Weekend.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:20 am 

Chus wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Every year, it is at TPC Boston on Labor Day Weekend.

I guess I haven't watched this tournament much over the holiday weekend. I'll try this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:18 am 

Nice to see Rory put it all together finally. He has been hitting the ball very well the last half of the season but the putter has been killing him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Back on the cycle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:46 am 

There might not be any sporting event worse than the Fed Ex playoffs. Everything about it feels wrong.

Only sport I'm aware of where the 4 week long playoff means less than several weekend regular season tournaments.

Also, only sport I'm aware of where you get a trophy every time you win a round in the playoffs.

And lets not forget all the players who don't even bother to show up for the first week.

And of course there is the terrible tv coverage. SO much focus on the top of the leader board when the only part of the leader board that is interesting is the cut line.

And here is the ultimate kicker. What are they even playing for? A big pile of money? Why am I supposed to care about that? Not really much drama IMO to see a couple guys battle it out to see who gets the honor of throwing another $10 million on the pile of money they already have.

They should do away with the whole thing. It sucks on just about every level.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:16 pm 

They should have the Olympics every year. :eye:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
shakes wrote:
There might not be any sporting event worse than the Fed Ex playoffs. Everything about it feels wrong.

Only sport I'm aware of where the 4 week long playoff means less than several weekend regular season tournaments.

Also, only sport I'm aware of where you get a trophy every time you win a round in the playoffs.

And lets not forget all the players who don't even bother to show up for the first week.

And of course there is the terrible tv coverage. SO much focus on the top of the leader board when the only part of the leader board that is interesting is the cut line.

And here is the ultimate kicker. What are they even playing for? A big pile of money? Why am I supposed to care about that? Not really much drama IMO to see a couple guys battle it out to see who gets the honor of throwing another $10 million on the pile of money they already have.

Everything about this post is correct.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:47 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
shakes wrote:

Everything about this post is correct.

So is everything about your post. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
The "projected finish" updates every time a player hits a shot is so annoying. "He missed that putt, that drops him from projected 5th to 11th". It's the first round of the tournament you fuckers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

They should do that in baseball.

"Uh oh, 2-0 count. Now the A's only have a 49.68 chance to win."
"There's a strike, back up to 51% now."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Dustin Johnson put on a show a the BMW. He is poised to go on a pretty good run. It has to be so deflating to be paired with him when he is hitting his driver like he did this week. You kind of have to think "I con't compete with this freak".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:07 am 
100000 CLUB

I would like to see anybody else except DJ win the FedEx. Even before the whole cocaine and Paulia thing, I just did not like him. I don't even know why but I have never been fond of him.

I don't want Sergio to win either, but he melts like an ice cream cone in Flagstaff in big tournaments so I'm not worried about him. Especially if he has to putt with a wedge again :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:13 am 

Thought this was pretty interesting....

ESPN’s Darren Rovell is reporting that Nike has signed World No. 1 Jason Day to an endorsement deal that will have him wearing the company’s shoes, apparel and hat. The deal is worth approximately $10 million per year, according to Rovell.

This year (2016) was the final year of Day’s endorsement contract with TaylorMade-Adidas, which had the golfer wearing Adidas golf shoes and apparel and using TaylorMade’s golf balls and clubs.

According to Rovell, Day re-signed with TaylorMade to use its clubs and balls, but was able to negotiate an outside apparel/shoe deal with Nike because of two factors:

Adidas’ decision to sell its TaylorMade golf brand
Nike’s decision to exit its golf ball and club business

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 am 

More big golf news.... and the hits keep coming for this industry and athletic activity. Frustrating for me because I don't have any golf stores within 40 minutes of me
worth going to. I either have to drive to Milwaukee , Vernon Hills, or Schaumburg just to go and look at a decent selection or hit balls in a cage before potentially buying
online.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... r-and-nike

The number of U.S. golfers dropped to 24.1 million in 2015 from a peak of 30.6 million in 2003, according to the National Golf Foundation. The decline among young people is even more troubling: The participation rate has fallen 30 percent over the past two decades. Many of them are turning away from the sport in favor of activities like paddle boarding. This slump led Nike to stop making golf clubs this year, focusing instead on apparel and footwear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
T-Bone wrote:
More big golf news.... and the hits keep coming for this industry and athletic activity. Frustrating for me because I don't have any golf stores within 40 minutes of me
worth going to. I either have to drive to Milwaukee , Vernon Hills, or Schaumburg just to go and look at a decent selection or hit balls in a cage before potentially buying
online.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... r-and-nike

The number of U.S. golfers dropped to 24.1 million in 2015 from a peak of 30.6 million in 2003, according to the National Golf Foundation. The decline among young people is even more troubling: The participation rate has fallen 30 percent over the past two decades. Many of them are turning away from the sport in favor of activities like paddle boarding. This slump led Nike to stop making golf clubs this year, focusing instead on apparel and footwear.

Fucking millennials.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Golf is a very expensive and time consuming habit. I started playing more in late '09, but really got into it more in 2010. Up until the last few years, time had been the major issue for me. Now its more $, but there are enough online deals out there at "lesser" courses to be found.

I think it would be cool if some courses opened up some 6 hole or 12 hole rounds. That way if people only have an hour or 2 to devote to the game, they can still play a few holes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:47 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Golf is a very expensive and time consuming habit. I started playing more in late '09, but really got into it more in 2010. Up until the last few years, time had been the major issue for me. Now its more $, but there are enough online deals out there at "lesser" courses to be found.

I think it would be cool if some courses opened up some 6 hole or 12 hole rounds. That way if people only have an hour or 2 to devote to the game, they can still play a few holes.

:scratch: They already offer 9 hole rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:22 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:scratch: They already offer 9 hole rounds.

yea but sometimes you don't feel like playing 9 hole. Sometimes you only feel like playing 8 holes. and sometimes 9 isn't enough and you feel like playing 10.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:59 am 

The top two players in the Official World Golf Ranking are staying put. On Wednesday, TaylorMade announced that Jason Day and Dustin Johnson had agreed to multi-year contract extensions with the Carlsbad, California-based equipment manufacturer. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Day and Johnson were two of the most sought after equipment free agents going into the offseason.

“I chose TaylorMade at the onset of my PGA TOUR career because they made products that performed," Day said in a release. "They’ve supported me on my quest for World No. 1 since day one. I’m excited to continue working with the great team at TaylorMade and playing the best performing equipment in the game.”

Day, the top-ranked player in the world, signed with TaylorMade in 2006 and made his debut on TOUR the same year. He currently plays a full bag of TaylorMade equipment and was the first to record a win with the company's M1 driver at last year's BMW Championship.

Arguably the hottest player on TOUR over the last few months, Dustin Johnson signed with TaylorMade in 2007 before earning his TOUR card in 2008.

With a U.S. Open title and two TOUR wins this season (WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and BMW Championship), he heads into the TOUR Championship atop the FedExCup standings.

"When I started my professional career, my goal was to be the best and win tournaments," Johnson said. "I chose TaylorMade because they made products that outperformed anything else I had ever played. Since day one, I’ve had a great relationship with the TaylorMade team and especially the guys who support me every week out on TOUR. I’m looking forward to continuing our teamwork and playing equipment that I believe in and has helped me to succeed.”

The decision to retain the top two players is an important step for TaylorMade Golf. The future of the company has been up in the air this year as parent company adidas set out to find a buyer for its golf brands, including TaylorMade, Adams and Ashworth.

The announcement reaffirms that TaylorMade will still have a significant TOUR presence going forward.

"We’ve had tremendous relationships with both Jason and Dustin since the day they first signed with us and have thoroughly enjoyed working with them and watching as they’ve ascended to the top two spots in the OWGR," said Chuck Presto, TaylorMade's senior vice president, global sports marketing. "It’s rare to have the top two players in the world in your stable and we’re thrilled they’ve both decided to stay with the TaylorMade family, trusting the best equipment in the world as they continue their dominance on TOUR.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 am 

Interesting changes for the tournament this week.....

Imagine you’re playing the 72nd hole of the TOUR Championship. You’re two shots behind the leader. The FedExCup’s on the line. You need a big finish.

For the first nine years of the FedExCup, that would’ve required the unlikeliest of occurrences – a hole-in-one. After all, the traditional finishing hole at East Lake is a 235-yard par 3 that’s annually one of the most difficult holes on the course.

Not anymore.

The nines have been flipped for this week’s TOUR Championship, meaning the 18th hole will now be the previous 600-yard par 5 ninth that might very well be reachable in two for most of the 30-man field in Sunday’s final round, depending on the course setup. It’s usually been one of the easiest holes on the course – and at least now there’s a realistic shot at eagle, although double bogey is not out of the question too, if you find too much trouble.

It’s all part of a move to create more possibilities – and more drama – down the stretch for the PGA TOUR’s Playoff finale that offers golf’s biggest prize, and biggest bonus of $10 million.

“It will make the finish more exciting,” said Adam Scott, who enters this week ranked No. 3 in points. “It will be a better finish.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:33 am 

Last tournament of the season kicks off this afternoon, should be pretty interesting. I don't remember much about the course. Not
interested in it as much as the Ryder Cup but hoping for a nice battle by some of the top players.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

Jason Day WD